WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Help! Ford V10 Codes

X Hoser

Reaction score
I keep getting codes on a Ford V10, F53 Motorhome. (Has the Banks Kit but running stock program).

First Time, after adding fuel. (Not a fill up). Check engine light came on. Tightened the cap and after 3 cold starts light went off.

Then, a few days later, light back on. Codes P0148, possible restricted fuel flow, and P2196, Rich Bank 1. Seem to be conflicting codes? Replaced the gas cap with a new one, cleared codes and seemed fine for the short distance I drove it after that.

Then today I fill it up, make sure the cap is on tight and bam, immediately another check engine light! This time P2196 and P2198. Rich Bank 1 and Rich Bank 2.

A little research online I'm thinking the Vapor Canister Purge Valve may be bad? 31000 miles and not the original owner so I do not know the history whether they "topped it off' each time at fill up or not? It seems to run fine. If left in Drive is seems to bog a little from a stop but then clears right up and runs fine. If manually shift 1,2,3,D no bog.

Any Ford mechanics on here with any advice? Is the Purge Valve a good place to start?

Thanks in advance!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sounds like the purge valve is sticking or stuck. If you have access to a good scanner, you should be able to command the purge solenoid off and on, and see the difference in short term fuel trim, and feedback from O2 sensors. If no change, it's stuck.

You may or may not be able to tell a difference by plugging the vacuum line...4cyl are easy, but with the 10's displacement it's tougher to feel or hear small hiccups.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I do not have access to a good scanner. Just have the one that came with the Banks setup. I think if the valve is easy to access I'll just replace it as it is not very expensive. Access in the motorhome may be tough tho because I believe it is towards the back of the motor? I'll have to see how the cowl inside comes off. Thanks for the reply.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Another thing one of my friends showed me on a small car, may be the same for a coach, but I don't know...when you pull the lines off the solenoid, they really shouldn't smell like gas, and really shouldn't be wet. I believe they are also supposed to default to closed position when unplugged.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Another thing one of my friends showed me on a small car, may be the same for a coach, but I don't know...when you pull the lines off the solenoid, they really shouldn't smell like gas, and really shouldn't be wet. I believe they are also supposed to default to closed position when unplugged.

That is what I have read. Disconnect the vacuum tube and wiring harness. If there is still a vacuum the valve is bad as it should default to closed. As long as I am that deep into it I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and just change it out. Seems like a pretty common problem. Thanks again for the help. I'll post up if it works. If it does not, back to the drawing board.