WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need Help With a Scam?

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
So a friend met this guy online. She im sure told him her life story. She is a widow. She was scammed out of 80k. This was a couple years ago. Guy was always going to come and visit her. She just kept sending money. Just a little back story on how stupid this girl is. So fast forward. She finds a new guy. He lives in Vermont. She tells him how broke she is. She tells him she can't be on the internet much longer. Can't pay her bills. He says no problem and sends her $400. So a few months pass. She tells him again she is in terrible situation. He says well write void on a check and send me a copy. I will deposit some money in your account. Now she thinks this guy will just send her a few hundred again. So a couple days later she checks her balance. He deposited a 120K in her account. So she asks me what I think. Now she has gone to her bank. The money is real. It was deposited through Western Union. Im still trying to figure out the scam. Im not up on this kind of Bull Shit. Has to be more to the story. He tells her I just felt bad. Wanted to help you out...

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
So a friend met this guy online. She im sure told him her life story. She is a widow. She was scammed out of 80k. This was a couple years ago. Guy was always going to come and visit her. She just kept sending money. Just a little back story on how stupid this girl is. So fast forward. She finds a new guy. He lives in Vermont. She tells him how broke she is. She tells him she can't be on the internet much longer. Can't pay her bills. He says no problem and sends her $400. So a few months pass. She tells him again she is in terrible situation. He says well write void on a check and send me a copy. I will deposit some money in your account. Now she thinks this guy will just send her a few hundred again. So a couple days later she checks her balance. He deposited a 120K in her account. So she asks me what I think. Now she has gone to her bank. The money is real. It was deposited through Western Union. Im still trying to figure out the scam. Im not up on this kind of Bull Shit. Has to be more to the story. He tells her I just felt bad. Wanted to help you out...

get cashiers check and go open new account with new found funds. Keep account in case he wants to send more
She needs to get on a plane and start exercising her jaw and gag reflex on her way there. She owes dude some blowys.

gqchris

Reaction score
Whats scary is this is normal life these days. Thanks god I am married.

Western union is NEVER used for anything good these days. I agree some sort of many launder or mule scheme.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Whats scary is this is normal life these days. Thanks god I am married.

Western union is NEVER used for anything good these days. I agree some sort of many launder or mule scheme.

"Thanks god I am married"🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Scams usually involve the recipient having to send some money back because "they made a mistake"...

this one has no such request? Yet??

Move the money to another account and wait for the other shoe to drop. If he has the routing and account number he may be able to move it with out her.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Tell her to buy a boat get off the internet and sail away. Mexico, belize , Costa rica...

In all seriousness sounds like a money mole deal. Wire transfers across state lines is an fbi deal.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I'm making some hot grandma dating profile's and going fishing. Is it really theft if you scam a scammer? I don't think so

DLC

Reaction score
I can clean that cash for her! Have her get a cashiers check made out to me for $100,000.00, she should keep 20 grand in her account.
I’ll handle the rest for her

dont worry!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Maybe her first conversation shouldnt be about finances... maybe keep it like "what do you like to do on the weekends?" "I like to launder mone... err I like to go boating"

575cat

Reaction score
Now she,s gonna get the phone from Brian Mills [ Liam Neeson ] I will find you and ? good luck .

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
How long has the money been sitting in the account at this point?
Has she gone online to see what was deposited? What kind of check was it?
What has been asked of her in return at this point?

Reaction score
Scams usually involve the recipient having to send some money back because "they made a mistake"...

this one has no such request? Yet??

Move the money to another account and wait for the other shoe to drop. If he has the routing and account number he may be able to move it with out her.

That's exactly what will happen, he will move the money out. He had her routing/account numbers to make the deposit.

Singleton

Reaction score
That's exactly what will happen, he will move the money out. He had her routing/account numbers to make the deposit.

this. money is most likely being moved in and out
Or she will get requested to send 95% back and just landed in wire fraud

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The real problem is, if she did send him a check, he now has her address and and all that.

A deposit could have been made with just the routing and account numbers.

This guy has a whole lot of info about her now.

But he could just be one lonely rich dude! Strange deal.

How long has the money been sitting in the account at this point?
Has she gone online to see what was deposited? What kind of check was it?
What has been asked of her in return at this point?

Good questions...

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Money was done with a wire transfer. She has had it about a month. Guy hasn't asked for a dime back. Said he was glad he could help her out. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. The bank says it is a 100% in her account. I am a 100% sure it is a scam. But I don't have any reason to think that other than this shit only happens in the movies...LMAO

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Money was done with a wire transfer. She has had it about a month. Guy hasn't asked for a dime back. Said he was glad he could help her out. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. The bank says it is a 100% in her account. I am a 100% sure it is a scam. But I don't have any reason to think that other than this shit only happens in the movies...LMAO
x2 100% scam

lbhsbz

Reaction score

It doesn’t only happen in the movies...I’ve given more than half of what I had in my bank acct to someone that needed it a whole hell of a lot more than me, granted...it wasn’t $120K and it wasn’t a total stranger, but for some, $120K is an expensive dinner. It might just be a gift. She should have some information, at least a name on the person...10 minutes on the internet can find out quite a bit about who yore dealing with.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
get cashiers check and go open new account with new found funds. Keep account in case he wants to send more
She needs to get on a plane and start exercising her jaw and gag reflex on her way there. She owes dude some blowys.

I didn’t want to say it.. but this

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

putting money in is a lot different then pulling it out? And if she has nothing to steal other than what he gave her??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

if it has been a month and nothing I’d think she just met someone with that kinda money that wanted to help someone out.

4Waters

Reaction score
I understand your concern, as I would be
There are nice people out there, maybe she found one.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I think she is running the scam just fine, I am confused on what you need help with? 😂

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

Sounds like she’s reasonably good to go. Hopefully the guy isn’t too old where he’ll die soon and his heirs will come around saying it was some type of elder abuse. I’m sure she has a reasonable amount of communication at the same time where it’s not like she became a scammer.

manxman

Reaction score
wow, sounds to good to be true. I'm a skeptic, I think its a scam, but who knows. Last year my uncle passed away (dads younger brother). Me and my dad had to to go get his belongings and settle a few tabs. He was kind of astranged from the family. Turns out he was living in his truck. He was doing handyman and odd jobs for work. We had to get his truck out of impound. When we cleaned it out, it was awful. We found so much junk (hoarder type). We found food and fast food wrappers. We also found hundreds of western union receipts. They were for anything from $20 to $500 at a time. Turns out he had an online relationship with some nigerian princess dating back to 2012. This guy didn't have hardly anything, but would send anything extra he had to this scammer. He probably could have had a place to live or rented a room if he hadn't been sending this scammer money. It was a real sad deal for the family to find out how he had been living. He always had a chip on his shoulder with the family, dont really know why, but obviously mental illness could have been a big factor.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm no taxman, but paid my share and more --- aren't there tax consequences on gift amounts over $ 15K ??

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm no taxman, but paid my share and more --- aren't there tax consequences on gift amounts over $ 15K ??

The giver is responsible for taxes on gifts. The annual exclusion amount is $15,000.

Taboma

Reaction score
The giver is responsible for taxes on gifts. The annual exclusion amount is $15,000.

I kinda like Angler's " Loan " angle. But apparently in the case of Mary P. Bolles, the IRS felt reasonable expectation of repayment is required or it's considered a gift.