WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need info on a solar battery tender

Baja 252

Reaction score
I have a tractor that we keep in a barn on a piece of property that has no electricity. If we don't use the tractor often enough, the battery (new) goes dead after a few months. I unhook the neg cable when we're done using it, but it still won't stay charged especially during winter. I was thinking of a solar panel that would put out enough to keep the battery topped off, but I know nothing about them.
The local farm store has a 2 watt one (5" square panel) and a 5 watt one (12" square panel) , but I'm not sure that's what I need. The battery is one of those big ass tractor battery's that is twice the size of a car battery. Another issue is the tractor is in the middle of the barn so I'll need a long (40') cord from the panel (sun light) to the battery.

What watts do I need? I'm ooking for simple, do I need some inverter or something so it doesn't overcharge the battery. Love to find some plug and play thing that prevents overcharging and just keeps the battery topped off.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score

This is what I have had for a couple years, says comes with 60" DC cable but it more like 60'. I don't have a tractor (yet) but it will keep two Optima's in my boat fully charged.

Foscheck

Reaction score

This is what I have had for a couple years, says comes with 60" DC cable but it more like 60'. I don't have a tractor (yet) but it will keep two Optima's in my boat fully charged.
I use the same one for the motorhome battery. Works well

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
I will start by saying I am no battery expert but would a AGM battery help? It is my understanding they do not discharge when not in use like a wet bell does.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A cheapie 2w one and some speaker wire. Silicone the panel to the barn in the sun, run the wires to gator clips at the battery. If the battery is disconnected, the requirements to float charge is minimal.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A cheapie 2w one and some speaker wire. Silicone the panel to the barn in the sun, run the wires to gator clips at the battery. If the battery is disconnected, the requirements to float charge is minimal.

Yep. The one we have on the golf cart came with a ten foot cable. Even a few hours of sun everyday keeps it charged.

rivergames

Reaction score
I have 4 batteries in my fishing boat that is parked in my driveway. I use 2 cheap solar charges that I got from Harbor Freight or Amazon. I've had them for about 4 years now and it keeps my batteries fully charged!