WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need power of RDP. Call out thread time!!

wet hull

Reaction score
There is always 3 sides to a story. Paul can present his, I hope he does. Point of the thread was to pressure this guy to step up and make contact with the shops he owes money. Hopefully he will do the adult thing and handle his debt. If there is a discrepancy in the invoice total, be a adult and call the shop! He hasn't paid $1 yet. Why not pay the $2400 or whatever and then work out details on the rest? If there is a problem with the work done, why not call the shop? None of this has happened which is shady.

Roosky01

Reaction score
Nothing to gain IMO. Everyone had their mind made up lol. Better off letting the fire consume itself. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It was somewhat easy to get riled up with this one after the dude pulled the prop shit earlier in his career and currently rocks two diamond studs. That being said, I will reserve judgement in the future on these types of threads until the carcass is already being chewed on…

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Need the powers of RDP in hopes someone on the boards knows this guy. Story goes like this and will withhold buisness names for now in hopes this guy will do the right thing. I only know about this as I stopped at the shop to drop some of my parts off and my mechanic/ shop owner looked emotionally broken. So I dug in as anyone would do.

Paul Owens bought a Advantage boat without doing a inspection and tons of stuff was wrong with drive, fuel and cooling system. He brought boat into a well know boat in Havasu that I use for all my boat needs. Shop did all the work and got it dialed in and ready for delivery. He called Paul for payment and do to some excuse couldn't pay that day.

The next stop for boat was to another shop for gel coat repair around boat windshield. Mechanic dropped the boat off there and told the shop owner. Do not release boat to owner as I have not been paid yet. Shop said no problem. Mechanic left town for a week for his birthday. Paul knew this. While mechanic was gone Paul showed up at the gel coat shop, paid for gel repair, demanded boat and left town back to wherever he lives.

Next part of the story is now Paul Ownens is no longer answering the mechanics calls, sends him to voicemail. Mechanic called from a unknown number and he answered. Paul said I am not paying and you will be getting a letter from my lawyer as the boat is no good. If you know my mechanic you know this untrue. This is clearly a scare tactic to see if mechanic would back off of the $7,400 invoice. Plus he posted on Facebook after boat was picked up that he was ready to hit the water in his new boat.

Next part is before boat went to my mechanic it was at a very well know trailer shop. Paul owes the trailer shop $2000 and said he would pay when he brings boat back for final details on the boat. The trailer shop now knows this guy isnt coming back and he just ate $2000.

Since we are a tight knit community please help stear this guy Paul to do the right thing. He needs to pay both shops in full. I also heard he is the same guy that didn't return some borrowed props and that was posted on RDP in a thread. After he was called out he returned props with tons of damage. Here is a picture of Paul Ownes and his boat in question. Both shops have asked to keep their names hidden for now but they will also chime in here if needed. I told mechanic for obvious reasons to stay in background as he will be bringing a lawsuit against Paul immediately if not resolved right away. View attachment 1091484 View attachment 1091485

now would be the time for your mechanic to post screen shots of the conversations that show $7,500.

I'm inclined to believe him given this guys past history and that I am a mechanic myself. however, proof is in the puddin.

I always have email and/or message streams to document the dollars that are being talked about and approved, even with people I consider friends.

traquer

Reaction score
There's always people like this, it seems to follow them. Even if they're partially right, I still look at it like the mess is their fault.

Case in point, got an old neighbor who was always stiffing contractors over petty shit, taking things to small claims, always complaining and bitching.

I think to myself how come his contractors always do shit work, and mine never do? Is he that unlucky? No, I just do my part to make contractors happy and they do their part to make me happy. Everyone knows upfront what is expected of the other party. Seems pretty simple.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Kris at flat tops maintained my Hallett and I had no issues over the years. If he found something when doing maintenance he would send me a text of the broken part and a price and wait till I responded to move forward or not.

I don’t think any mechanic would triple the price on someone without an explanation first and approval. Idk.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Kris at flat tops maintained my Hallett and I had no issues over the years. If he found something when doing maintenance he would send me a text of the broken part and a price and wait till I responded to move forward or not.

I don’t think any mechanic would triple the price on someone without an explanation first and approval. Idk.
Exactly. No way would your boat go in for one thing and come out with something completely different without some kind of conversation happening.

500bbc

Reaction score

There's always people like this, it seems to follow them. Even if they're partially right, I still look at it like the mess is their fault.

Case in point, got an old neighbor who was always stiffing contractors over petty shit, taking things to small claims, always complaining and bitching.

I think to myself how come his contractors always do shit work, and mine never do? Is he that unlucky? No, I just do my part to make contractors happy and they do their part to make me happy. Everyone knows upfront what is expected of the other party. Seems pretty simple.
He's one of those clowns that shops for lowest possible price then is pissed when he gets exactly what he paid for.

rvrrat350

Reaction score

i 2nd that.....been going there for 15 years and never had a "unexpected bill"!! communicates everything !! goes out of his way to not have a blown weekend and has even came to the boat on the water to fix and issue!! this guy is full of shit!

Ct5

Reaction score
Here’s the problem with threads like these..

The original post mentions it went to a detailer & sponsor of rdp.

I called Griner this morning. He doesn’t know who the guy is and there is no bill.

That was a mistake it wasn’t a detailer, it was in fact Adrenaline trailers.

I called Adrenaline trailers - paid

Max machine Worx- paid

Advantage boats did the gel work - paid..

The only person that didn’t get paid is Kris @ Flat tops marine.

Paul Owens side of the story is he was quoted 2500.00 and ended up getting a bill for 7500.00

How that came to terms I have no idea. I hope that Paul can contact Kris and they can work out whatever the discrepancy is between those two numbers.

The only FACTS in this thread though are
1. The guy didn’t return props to BBlades until
He was pressured to do so. (That actually caused a change in BBlades policies about lending props out)

2. There is some amount of work done to a boat and the bill isn’t paid due to a discrepancy (we don’t know what that is)

3. The story originally posted isn’t accurate by any means.

Paul call Chris and work your shit out.

RDP - put down your pitchforks and torches..

Future shops be warned.. don’t release the boat unless it’s paid.

RD
😂 oh lord…. At what point does the guy that started the call out thread get called out for starting a call out thread about something completely inaccurate that he wasn’t even involved in? 🤦🏻‍♂️

FishSniper

Reaction score

I’ve Used flat tops for many years with zero issues. Honest shop.

wet hull

Reaction score
😂 oh lord…. At what point does the guy that started the call out thread get called out for starting a call out thread about something completely inaccurate that he wasn’t even involved in? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Lets start now. I corrected the 2nd shop involved. It was my mistake as I miss quoted detail shop over trailer shop. I owned that, posted it and then edited original post. I however not once mentioned shop names. Laugh all you want but apparently I am a joke to you for helping someone not get ripped off. Maybe this is your friend? Your post is dumb, zero people agreed with you hitting yourself in the forehead emoji. Lets dig in further if you want and hopefully you never get burned and need a helping hand. I would make sure you are sqaured away on your facts before your next post. Fuckiing keyboard cowboys in their gay ass bedazzeled pink cowboy boots.

SoCalDave

Reaction score

I called Griner this morning. He doesn’t know who the guy is and there is no bill.

Max machine Worx- paid

Paul Owens side of the story is he was quoted 2500.00 and ended up getting a bill for 7500.00

How that came to terms I have no idea. I hope that Paul can contact Kris and they can work out whatever the discrepancy is between those two numbers.

He was pressured to do so. (That actually caused a change in BBlades policies about lending props out)

2. There is some amount of work done to a boat and the bill isn’t paid due to a discrepancy (we don’t know what that is)

RD
giphy (6).gif

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Call-out thread? I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $2k bill for boat detail...
To wash a boat, no but to color sand and wax, or a lot of stainless with baked on hard water spots, I can see $2k easy.

inland boating is a very tight knit community. Thats why I’m always very nice to everybody on river Daves.

wzuber

Reaction score
Call-out thread? I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $2k bill for boat detail...
Aparently you haven't called eliminator to do work on your boat? They will quickly change your perspective on that.
Depending on size and amount of paint/gel...surface correction required... that can essily be on the low end. Add in stripping off rubrail, deck hardware & re-installing etc. and you get to $2k pretty quickly. It's all about the individual details of each project and the level of quality of work required and afforfed by the owner/customer.

Flat Tops Marine

Reaction score
Thought it might be time I chime in here to get the facts straight.

First off, Wet Hull is one of my long term customers and friend. We talked Wednesday morning to discuss repairs to his drive and go over scheduled work to his boat.
Topic gravitated to the fact that I believe I had been taken to the sum of $7400. In no way did I solicit him to start this tread on my behalf, simply conversation among friends. He took it and went with it, in hopes of supporting me and protecting this boating community. The only non factually statement from the OP is that he stated a detailer had not been paid when it was actually a trailer shop.

I"ve been in Lake Havasu since 1994 when I came to work for Harry @ Advantage boats. I was the lead rigger there for 10 yrs. Rigged over 600 boats for them in that time period. I left in 2004 to go to work with Magic boats, lead rigger, production manager, head of R&D. Magic closed in April 2009, Had to lay off just about everybody under me. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. Worked for Steve at Flattops for 7 yrs. before he sold and I took over the business in 2015. I know a thing or two about boats.

Mr. Owens called me to discuss his issues with the boat. A 200x 27 Advantage Victory with a 575sci engine. Most notably he was having an overheating issue that had plagued him all summer, along with a service.
Upon inspection of the boat, it was clearly not maintained properly by the previous owner.
Fuel fitting breaking off in my hand, oil cooler completely plugged 90% from old impeller and pebbles. Worst I've ever seen. fuel pump ruptured, engine coupler worn just to the point of failure. Now it's time to contact Mr. Owen.
upon our conservation. I told him he should have done a Prebuy inspection & he responded with "I was too anxious to get the boat, I didn't want to wait, I'm a big boy."

Moving on, it was decided the engine needed to come out to replace the engine coupler. At that time I advised him that it would be a wise move to replace the gimble housing seal. With the engine out we would save him down the road with an expensive repair. He agreed.
At no time did I ever quote Mr. Owen $2500! This was an ongoing conversation and every issue that arose was talked about price individually. Pulling an engine and replacing a coupler alone would be over that dollar figure. Part #8m0098797 $1183.93

Fact: I have-
67 text messages
15 pictures
23 phone conversations logged with Mr. Owens

At NO time was he not aware of the situation or the costs of these services!
The list goes on...
Bad water pump
Fuel pump rupture took out pump housing, bearings, and seals
No thermostat, T. housing completely clogged with decay, no check balls
Reseal both trim rams
Fix broken fuel fitting
Replace gimble bearing, bellows, and shift cable
Drive had heavy metal particulates on drain plug magnets
Send both steerings rams off to IMCO for resealing. They don't sell the seals any longer to repair shops due to liability issues
Replace steering bushings
Install NEW propeller
Pickup drive from Max. Machine to install.
My guess is any of you reading this would not expect these services for FREE! They add up quickly!
Is Mr. Owens bad at math or did he ever plan on paying?

MY BAD!!
I took him for his word he was good with everything.
I let a boat out of my shop without being paid in full.
I trusted a 27 yr. relationship with Advantage to hold the boat on my behalf.
At no time did I ask for $$ upfront.
Should I have RED flagged a guy that tried to get me to drop my price on the prop and then stated. " Go ahead with the prop I'm going to get my dad to fit this bill anyway." ABSOLUTELY!
That being said, do I deserve to have been stiffed on payment?

I received a text back from Hannah claiming to be his daughter, stating that Paul had had a serious procedure and would not be in contact for a couple of days.
I responded with, I hope everything's ok please have him call me when he is up to it. Her reply back was that he had gone in for a "tuneup" and had a procedure. Also asked "tease" him for it when I next talked to him. still no response.

Advantage was requesting the boat back so they could get started on gelcoat repairs. The steering rams had just come in and I quicking mounted up and bleed the system.
I dropped the boat off, as I was headed out of town for my birthday.
I sent this information to Mr. Owens with copies of the bill asking for payment. No response.

I returned back at my shop on Tuesday, tried calling Mr. Owens. NO response!
Immediately called down to Advantage and discovered the boat had been released without payment. I will not repeat that conversation.
I then proceeded over to Adrenaline Trailers and talked to Joe. He informed me the boat was not there and the situation I was dealing with.
Yes, he said he had been in there in the past and taken care of his bills. As of Tuesday morning, Joe had stated to me "Mr. Owens owed $2000 against his current bill and was on the schedule to come back for the remainder of his work."
Now, did he see this thread and decide to take care of his bill?? Quite possibly, I hope so! This tread would not be in vain as at least another person got paid.
Joe called me later that week. Said, he reached out to Paul from the business phone and no answer. He called Paul later from his personal line and Paul picked up and they set the date for Paul to return to get trailer work completed. Interesting.

Now, I put a nice text into Paul stating that I knew he was alive and well, this wasn't cool and I would like to get payment by the end of this business day.
Also including my banking information for direct deposit.
This is where it gets interesting.
He did respond later that day with a text stating he was in fact alive and well. My boat not so much, "My attorney will be sending you a certified letter"
I asked for what? NO response!

From what I have gathered from this thread that he may have a water leak of some sort?
LET ME ASK YOU ALL THIS?
If you just picked up your boat after having $7400 worth of work and put it on the water and there was an issue of any kind, who would you first be calling??
Your repair shop! no question about it! I would want to know as a business owner!
I posed the question to Mr. Owens and NO response. I HAVE THE TEXTS.

So, I put another call into Mr. Owens and no answer. Mailbox full.
I then give him a call on my employee's phone, no answer.
Then 5 mins. later his phone rings and guess who? Mr. Owens is a bit surprised when I answer nicely asking for payment, only to be told he just got out of a meeting and I would have to call back in 15 mins.
Do you think I ever heard from Mr. Owens again? NO WAY!

Thank you, Wet hull, for trying to get the right thing accomplished.
Thank you, Joe, Adrenaline trailers.
Thank you, Dave, for this forum.
Thank you, to RDP Members, lots of good ones out there.
Thank you, to any and all of my customers for your support and kind words.

I will not be sharing any actual pictures or texts, as it looks like I will have to be proceeding legally with this.
I have covered everything in-depth here. This is all very accurate account of the situation.
You will most likely not see another post from me on this topic.

I take this business very seriously. It's rough, big $$, high responsibility. I'm entrusted with your valued possessions, your boat. even more, your family's well-being.
There are times that I have to make calls of the safety factor regarding repairs, as with fuel systems. Nothing can be left to chance and your safety is a top priority.
No matter how hard we try in this business, there's always going to be those 1 or 2 customers per year that you just don't see eye to eye. I think I'm caught up for the next few years!

Thank you,
Kris

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
~snip~

Thank you,
Kris
I would delete this and keep a printed copy.

If this does go court, Sir Douchebag‘s attorney will be be going over it with a fine toothed comb looking for any discrepancies, regardless how slight. If found, they will be used against you.

Ct5

Reaction score
Lets start now. I corrected the 2nd shop involved. It was my mistake as I miss quoted detail shop over trailer shop. I owned that, posted it and then edited original post. I however not once mentioned shop names. Laugh all you want but apparently I am a joke to you for helping someone not get ripped off. Maybe this is your friend? Your post is dumb, zero people agreed with you hitting yourself in the forehead emoji. Lets dig in further if you want and hopefully you never get burned and need a helping hand. I would make sure you are sqaured away on your facts before your next post. Fuckiing keyboard cowboys in their gay ass bedazzeled pink cowboy boots.

I don’t want to dig in further, I already hit myself in the forehead once for reading into it as far as I did. I appreciate the heads up…I will continue to avoid interaction with any grown adult males that wear earrings and chains.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I still don’t see how the boat got out of the shop without full payment. Never again I assume. I always wonder if some dickheads try to put it on a credit card and to dispute it later

HBCraig

Reaction score
I used flattop from 2005 to 2015 for my magic.
Highly recommended then and still do.

Let's hope this BS gets them more business.

Shit deal all around
Don't think any of this will carry any weight in court. The aforementioned opinions here are based on speculation and conjecture. ;)

FishSniper

Reaction score

First off, Wet Hull is one of my long term customers and friend. We talked Wednesday morning to discuss repairs to his drive and go over scheduled work to his boat.
Topic gravitated to the fact that I believe I had been taken to the sum of $7400. In no way did I solicit him to start this tread on my behalf, simply conversation among friends. He took it and went with it, in hopes of supporting me and protecting this boating community. The only non factually statement from the OP is that he stated a detailer had not been paid when it was actually a trailer shop.

I"ve been in Lake Havasu since 1994 when I came to work for Harry @ Advantage boats. I was the lead rigger there for 10 yrs. Rigged over 600 boats for them in that time period. I left in 2004 to go to work with Magic boats, lead rigger, production manager, head of R&D. Magic closed in April 2009, Had to lay off just about everybody under me. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. Worked for Steve at Flattops for 7 yrs. before he sold and I took over the business in 2015. I know a thing or two about boats.

Mr. Owens called me to discuss his issues with the boat. A 200x 27 Advantage Victory with a 575sci engine. Most notably he was having an overheating issue that had plagued him all summer, along with a service.
Upon inspection of the boat, it was clearly not maintained properly by the previous owner.
Fuel fitting breaking off in my hand, oil cooler completely plugged 90% from old impeller and pebbles. Worst I've ever seen. fuel pump ruptured, engine coupler worn just to the point of failure. Now it's time to contact Mr. Owen.
upon our conservation. I told him he should have done a Prebuy inspection & he responded with "I was too anxious to get the boat, I didn't want to wait, I'm a big boy."

Moving on, it was decided the engine needed to come out to replace the engine coupler. At that time I advised him that it would be a wise move to replace the gimble housing seal. With the engine out we would save him down the road with an expensive repair. He agreed.
At no time did I ever quote Mr. Owen $2500! This was an ongoing conversation and every issue that arose was talked about price individually. Pulling an engine and replacing a coupler alone would be over that dollar figure. Part #8m0098797 $1183.93

Fact: I have-
67 text messages
15 pictures
23 phone conversations logged with Mr. Owens

At NO time was he not aware of the situation or the costs of these services!
The list goes on...
Bad water pump
Fuel pump rupture took out pump housing, bearings, and seals
No thermostat, T. housing completely clogged with decay, no check balls
Reseal both trim rams
Fix broken fuel fitting
Replace gimble bearing, bellows, and shift cable
Drive had heavy metal particulates on drain plug magnets
Send both steerings rams off to IMCO for resealing. They don't sell the seals any longer to repair shops due to liability issues
Replace steering bushings
Install NEW propeller
Pickup drive from Max. Machine to install.
My guess is any of you reading this would not expect these services for FREE! They add up quickly!
Is Mr. Owens bad at math or did he ever plan on paying?

MY BAD!!
I took him for his word he was good with everything.
I let a boat out of my shop without being paid in full.
I trusted a 27 yr. relationship with Advantage to hold the boat on my behalf.
At no time did I ask for $$ upfront.
Should I have RED flagged a guy that tried to get me to drop my price on the prop and then stated. " Go ahead with the prop I'm going to get my dad to fit this bill anyway." ABSOLUTELY!
That being said, do I deserve to have been stiffed on payment?

I received a text back from Hannah claiming to be his daughter, stating that Paul had had a serious procedure and would not be in contact for a couple of days.
I responded with, I hope everything's ok please have him call me when he is up to it. Her reply back was that he had gone in for a "tuneup" and had a procedure. Also asked "tease" him for it when I next talked to him. still no response.

Advantage was requesting the boat back so they could get started on gelcoat repairs. The steering rams had just come in and I quicking mounted up and bleed the system.
I dropped the boat off, as I was headed out of town for my birthday.
I sent this information to Mr. Owens with copies of the bill asking for payment. No response.

I returned back at my shop on Tuesday, tried calling Mr. Owens. NO response!
Immediately called down to Advantage and discovered the boat had been released without payment. I will not repeat that conversation.
I then proceeded over to Adrenaline Trailers and talked to Joe. He informed me the boat was not there and the situation I was dealing with.
Yes, he said he had been in there in the past and taken care of his bills. As of Tuesday morning, Joe had stated to me "Mr. Owens owed $2000 against his current bill and was on the schedule to come back for the remainder of his work."
Now, did he see this thread and decide to take care of his bill?? Quite possibly, I hope so! This tread would not be in vain as at least another person got paid.
Joe called me later that week. Said, he reached out to Paul from the business phone and no answer. He called Paul later from his personal line and Paul picked up and they set the date for Paul to return to get trailer work completed. Interesting.

Now, I put a nice text into Paul stating that I knew he was alive and well, this wasn't cool and I would like to get payment by the end of this business day.
Also including my banking information for direct deposit.
This is where it gets interesting.
He did respond later that day with a text stating he was in fact alive and well. My boat not so much, "My attorney will be sending you a certified letter"
I asked for what? NO response!

From what I have gathered from this thread that he may have a water leak of some sort?
LET ME ASK YOU ALL THIS?
If you just picked up your boat after having $7400 worth of work and put it on the water and there was an issue of any kind, who would you first be calling??
Your repair shop! no question about it! I would want to know as a business owner!
I posed the question to Mr. Owens and NO response. I HAVE THE TEXTS.

So, I put another call into Mr. Owens and no answer. Mailbox full.
I then give him a call on my employee's phone, no answer.
Then 5 mins. later his phone rings and guess who? Mr. Owens is a bit surprised when I answer nicely asking for payment, only to be told he just got out of a meeting and I would have to call back in 15 mins.
Do you think I ever heard from Mr. Owens again? NO WAY!

Thank you, Wet hull, for trying to get the right thing accomplished.
Thank you, Joe, Adrenaline trailers.
Thank you, Dave, for this forum.
Thank you, to RDP Members, lots of good ones out there.
Thank you, to any and all of my customers for your support and kind words.

I will not be sharing any actual pictures or texts, as it looks like I will have to be proceeding legally with this.
I have covered everything in-depth here. This is all very accurate account of the situation.
You will most likely not see another post from me on this topic.

I take this business very seriously. It's rough, big $$, high responsibility. I'm entrusted with your valued possessions, your boat. even more, your family's well-being.
There are times that I have to make calls of the safety factor regarding repairs, as with fuel systems. Nothing can be left to chance and your safety is a top priority.
No matter how hard we try in this business, there's always going to be those 1 or 2 customers per year that you just don't see eye to eye. I think I'm caught up for the next few years!

Thank you,
Kris
Exactly the response I would expect from a top
Notch shop. See you in a couple week Kris.

nowski

Reaction score
Aparently you haven't called eliminator to do work on your boat? They will quickly change your perspective on that.
Depending on size and amount of paint/gel...surface correction required... that can essily be on the low end. Add in stripping off rubrail, deck hardware & re-installing etc. and you get to $2k pretty quickly. It's all about the individual details of each project and the level of quality of work required and afforfed by the owner/customer.

Your correct: I haven't called Eliminator to detail my boat and I don't plan to. That is unless they can guarantee that the $2k spent for a detail service will enhance my boating season. We know that's not possible so for this old guy it's wax on wax off.

Now lets return to our regularly scheduled call out thread...

DLC

Reaction score
Well considering he didn’t pay for it ….
why would he have his attorney make a call, that would actually cost him money!

and What on Earth would the Attorney say…. Ahhhh my client isn’t going to pay for the service you provided, any attempt in contacting my client will be considered harassment and we will take you to court….

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Your correct: I haven't called Eliminator to detail my boat and I don't plan to. That is unless they can guarantee that the $2k spent for a detail service will enhance my boating season. We know that's not possible so for this old guy it's wax on wax off.

Now lets return to our regularly scheduled call out thread...
When you get a $7,000 + service done for free you can afford a $2,000 detail….

run she may… Shine she must!!

lol

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

Max machine Worx- paid

RD
I have been a customer at Flat Tops for 10 years and he has NEVER surprised me with a bill that was more than an estimate. He has always called me to let me know of additional needed work before he goes ahead with it. I have found him to be 100% honest.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I used flattop from 2005 to 2015 for my magic.
Highly recommended then and still do.

Let's hope this BS gets them more business.

Shit deal all around

May not be a big job or a high dollar job but i know I’ll be at Flat Top this week for some work.
I’ve spoke with him a handful of times and he’s not a prick like we see in a lot of shops as well seems to be an absolute straight shooter.

Last edited: