WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need some help with my Compressor...

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My compressor took a shit this morning, power to the phase box, but motor refuses to start.

Walk me through the troubleshooting please?
20190321_102640.jpg
20190321_102822.jpg
20190321_102833.jpg
20190321_102857.jpg
20190321_102918.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
List of crap on mine...in order of replacement (check the internal breaker first, they can trip in storms and such):

Contactor.....carbon arced (cleaned and used until ordered a new one) SHUT OFF POWER FIRST I think you'd know, but just reiterating.

Starter Cap...Spun over by hand while turning on...did that until a new cap was found...don't do that, not OSHA approved...safety third kinda thing.

Get real help, I'm out in the middle of nowhere, so even friends with knowledge are 30min away. So I have to do things on a redneck level.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Is the green tab a push button reset for thermal overload? Safety first. If yes turn off source power , push in see if it holds then turn source power back on. Looks like your missing the outer cover that should have a reset push button on its face.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Is the green tab a push button reset for thermal overload? Safety first. If yes turn off source power , push in see if it holds then turn source power back on. Looks like your missing the outer cover that should have a reset push button on its face.

Thermal switch is not tripped. Cover is off to show internals for identification purposes for anyone who can assist me. ;)

wishiknew

Reaction score
do you have 220 between the white and black wire at bottom of contactor box

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
You can push on the square black button in the middle of the contactor. Use a screwdriver.

Also confirm you have voltage at the coil of contactor. This voltage would be coming from the pressure switch that closes when the pressure drops and energizes the contactor.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Is there a pressure switch that tells the contractor to close? Is it functional?

wishiknew

Reaction score
You can push on the square black button in the middle of the contactor. Use a screwdriver.

Also confirm you have voltage at the coil of contactor. This voltage would be coming from the pressure switch that closes when the pressure drops and energizes the contactor.
pressure switich is hooked to small cord going out the top

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Doe it do anything when you try too start it? Like a buzz or a click?

dribble

Reaction score
I had one that would try to start then throw the breaker. It was a bad check valve.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I have 110 on each of the black wires at the top of the contactor, but only 115 at the white wire past the thermal switch when hitting the button in the contactor.

So the contactor is bad?

Tank not full, voltage at top of contactor so pressure switch should be working if I read the replies correctly. It does not make any sound at all, even when the button is pressed in the contactor.

wishiknew

Reaction score
I have 110 on each of the black wires at the top of the contactor, but only 115 at the white wire past the thermal switch when hitting the button in the contactor.

So the contactor is bad?
do you have 220 from the white to the black with contactor pushed in ????

wishiknew

Reaction score
first turn breaker off then take black wire from bottom off the lug then losten the black wire at the top on same side of contactor then put both wires under the top screw on contactor then report back

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
When pushing the contactor button in I have 115 at the white wire and the black wire on the bottom of the contactor when checked to ground.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Bypassing either the white wire side or the black wire side or both together to the terminals at the top of the contactor still won't start.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
you need to have 220 between them though if not it is backfeeding then

Checking between the lower black wire terminal and the white wire terminal after the thermal switch there is no voltage, checked to ground on either circuit they are both showing 115 volts when the contactor button is pressed in.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Bypassing either the white wire side or the black wire side or both together to the terminals at the top of the contactor still won't start.
do you have 220 at the top of the contactor ????

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Herding cats :rolleyes: :D:D:D
Feel free to educate me bud, I am skilled in low voltage electronics and programming, but never bothered to learn shit about household or industrial applications.

Taboma

Reaction score
Breaker off --- relocate load side (bottom) white and black wires to their respective top positions.
Breaker On --- motor starts ? Do you then have 220 across those top two wires ?

Wish I knew, knows, I didn't want to barge in --- it's a process one step, then the next

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The two red terminals have 115 volts. The two green terminals have 115 on them when the contactor button is pressed. This is all checked to the black ground.
Inked20190321_102833_LI.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
what do you have from the top black wire to the other black wire not to ground

Between the top right red and the lower right green is nothing, even with the contactor button pressed, they only show voltage when checked against the black ground.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Between the top right red and the lower right green is nothing, even with the contactor button pressed, they only show voltage when checked against the black ground.
the 2 red circles what you got

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
test between the 2 red circles not to ground
There is no voltage between the 2 top red terminals. They only show voltage when checked against ground, and 115 on each side.

cpdad93

Reaction score
On my shop equipment the actual cover has a little prong so the machine will not power by pushing start button with the cover off, unless you also depress the little safety lever.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different prop ?

Sorry it had to be said.

I think your breaker at panel could be bad ..

Taboma

Reaction score
On my shop equipment the actual cover has a little prong so the machine will not power by pushing start button with the cover off, unless you also depress the little safety lever.

Yup, us electricians put those in so you can't just start a thread on RDP and get free instructions :rolleyes: :p
That's what we refer to as the money maker lever :( ;)
It's also cuz the last thing we want to have to pull out of a hot switch is a charred dead body :eek::eek:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for supplying the answers I needed, and the lesson. It was a bad breaker fuse, even though that was the first thing we replaced, apparently one was bad out of the box.

I also learned a bit about how the system works now, it was a good day! :D

RDP once again, kicks ass! ;)

Taboma

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for supplying the answers I needed, and the lesson. It was a bad breaker fuse, even though that was the first thing we replaced, apparently one was bad out of the box.

I also learned a bit about how the system works now, it was a good day! :D

RDP once again, kicks ass! ;)

Wasn't picking on you, just trying to herd you to home plate, you kept trying to run the bases first :D:D