WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need some pool help

Warlock1

Reaction score
We want to replace our old Hayward HST 150 pump with a 2 stage pump and not sure how yo do it or which one to get.
We also need to replace our Hayward C1200 filter Assy because it is leaking due to a small crack.
And we also want to add a salt generator system later this year.

Any advice would be very much appreciated and will include an invite to Cape Coral...lol

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
We want to replace our old Hayward HST 150 pump with a 2 stage pump and not sure how yo do it or which one to get.
We also need to replace our Hayward C1200 filter Assy because it is leaking due to a small crack.

Any advice would be very much appreciated and will include an invite to Cape Coral...lol

Hst150 I believe refers to your motor on Hayward pump, would be a 1.5hp pump could be maxflo super 2 etc... either way doesn’t matter if your replacing.
With 1.5hp pump and 1200 cart filter I would assume your pool is pretty small.
2 speed pumps are pretty useless especially with a small cart filter. As soon as filter gets dirty the low speed won’t be enough to force the water through the cartridge.
Best bet If sticking with Hayward would be a 2hp variable speed. The 1200 filter if working for you just replace with like filter.
If Pool is small then you likely only need a Hayward salt and swim system.
You can order it all online at poolsupplyunlimited.com they have office in Cali, Florida, Tennessee, and Mexico I believe. You can search on their website with descriptions I gave for equipment and you should be able to find. Also depending on area they offer install and or refer to guys.
If you were in So Cal I could help, but Cape Coral leads me to believe your not :D

G. Faulk

Reaction score

I can send it to you and take it off my new Nortech CC build if ya like. :)
I'd get away from Hayward and go Pentair Variable speed and either Starite-Penatir cartridge filter. But that's just me.
Like Mellow said for salt.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I can send it to you and take it off my new Nortech CC build if ya like. :)
I'd get away from Hayward and go Pentair Variable speed and either Starite-Penatir cartridge filter. But that's just me.
Like Mellow said for salt.
No problem G, when I build your boat I will install the billet aluminum water and waste fills for ya, on me of course...lol
MYV for you I will also do some extra LED lighting

G. Faulk

Reaction score
They have a Superior Pool products in Cape Coral, I can call it in and you can go pick up will call what you need, I have an account with them. Seriously if this helps I'd be happy to do it for you.

rrrr

Reaction score
While this has nothing to do with the OP's problem, I want to pass along an issue I had with disappearing pool water. :confused:

I think the solution is probably common knowledge among pool contractors and maintainers, but I couldn't figure out where the loss was occurring. Sometimes it was a bit more than evaporation expectations, other times it would lose an inch of water in a day or two. The leak suddenly got a lot worse. The pool was losing two inches a day.

I finally found the leak was due to a badly degraded spider gasket in the multiport valve. I always shut off the multiport valve and the pump suction inlet Jandy valve when I am cleaning the debris strainer in the pump suction reservoir. This prevents prevent drainback from the filter and the occasional loss of prime. Depending on how the damaged gasket sealed when I operated the valve, the amount of water loss varied. When a piece of the gasket finally tore loose, the water loss became extreme.

Eight bucks for a new gasket and a liberal application of Super Lube silicone waterproof grease fixed the problem. I hope passing this along helps someone experiencing the same issue. :cool:

Warlock1

Reaction score
They have a Superior Pool products in Cape Coral, I can call it in and you can go pick up will call what you need, I have an account with them. Seriously if this helps I'd be happy to do it for you.
G as soon as I figure out what I want I'll let you know.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Go with what Mellowyellowvector says to do but if that doesn't work you can always contact VooDooPoolman on the boards.:p:D

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Wait just a minute!!.... I just went back and read the whole thread....Warlock1 is Nor-Tech Boats??? :eek:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Wait just a minute!!.... I just went back and read the whole thread....Warlock1 is Nor-Tech Boats??? :eek:

Lmao, VDP has been gone since the shit show in his Pool thread. I kinda feel bad, ;)
he was a decent dude. But I will say the stuff I warned him would happen with his plaster, from what Iv heard did happen, just sayin. lol

And ya that’s what I said - nor-tech, wait what! :D

Warlock1

Reaction score
This town that I now live in is sooooooooo technology challenged that it stopped being funny 6 months ago...
I went up to a well known pool supply place and inquired about all new equipment. The guy basically steered me to all of the same stuff I had. I told him I wanted a VS pump and he said you don't need it and it won't work on the low speed "to do anything". This is SW Florida and it's different around these parts. Your pool is under a cage so it never gets really dirty (which is actually true). So no help at all.
So this is what I came up with
I am looking at the Pentair superflo VS pump as it is a basic variable pump that can be added to the automation center later.
Pentair Clean and Clear RP 150 cartridge filter
Salt Cell Im still up in the air on that. We had the Intellichlor 20 on our pool in AZ and it worked well and was relatively cheap. This place had a new iChlor system that they were pushing. They said it was new so not a lot of people have it yet. Looks cool but I don't see how to change out or clean the cell. They also didn't have the Hayward Salt and Swim system.

Ok guys will this pump and filter system be ok?
And still the Hayward over the 2 Pentair systems?

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I only run the Super flow if you need to. Honestly I use them a lot on fountains, that's about it. The Pentair Intellifo VS can only go 220V, where the super flo can go 110-220V. The Intelliflo is a better pump, more capabilities, better electrical savings, and yes more money but money well spent. Your electric Co might also have rebates for the VS pump. I've sold hundreds of the Intelliflo with only 3 warranty calls, probably 35 super flo's with 3 for warranty if this helps. I run into this all the time, won't work in low speed. To this day I still run into pool service people that have no clue how to make variable speed pumps work. I went through 5 pool service Co's in LHC before I found one that could run viable speed. Seriously, IMO best thing ever created for your pool.

I'd go bigger on the Cartridge filter. Clean and clear is good, but maybe a S320-S420-S520. If possible Snap a pic of your equipment set and the room you have, your plumbing size, and your pool size. Here or to 805-896-6886. Mellow and I can get ya in the right direction.

Seriously when your ready and if your close I can will call it in for you over at Superior. I can talk to them and get you a quality referral to set the equipment if needed.

I'm not a big fan of chlorine generators from salt, but when I do sell and install its usually Jandy. Hayward or Pentair would work also.

I miss FL, it looks like I sold my house in Havasu closing on the 27th of April, looking to get back down to FL soon for some real boating.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Yep to all Faulk said. But I do pentair salt every day, zero issues. Only reason I mentioned the salt and swim Hayward is if you were sticking with all Hayward with small Pool and equipment.
Plus if you have pump filter salt all matching equipment you’ll extend your warranty.
So vs pump, 320 filter (if you have room ) and intelichlor all pentair.

People that don’t like vs pumps are afraid of technology, just like guys using flip phones ;) they have no idea what they’re missing out on from fear of not knowing how to work the damn thing :D

And take advantage of will calling from distributor, otherwise your just throwing away your money with the Florida swamp crickets that have no idea how to do shit right, lol

Warlock1

Reaction score
Even our pool guy said that if we upgrade to vs he wouldn't be able to service the pool anymore. Lol
Pool is about 13k gallons so relatively small and has a series of jets around the seats so I will get the intelliflow if the price point is not a huge difference.
So would the intellichlor 20 be sufficient on this pool?
They do make a clean and clear 200 that flows 75 gallons a minute. Would that work based on the small pool size?
20180331_140808.jpg
20180331_093555.jpg

G. Faulk

Reaction score
You got the room, looks like the majority of plumbing is 2". Intelliflo VS and a S320 S420 would work killer. You do either of these 2 filters your filter maintainece is cut in half over what you have now. Probably just a bit over kill but better over then under. Tell your pool guy I will walk him through the pump over the phone. It's really easy, and Mellow or I can talk you through it. Seriously its way easy. From the pick I can dam near get all your installation fittings for ya to. Looking at the pick it maybe would take 3-4 hours to get er done. Your going to by pass your time clock, that part of control is now on the pump drive. Your pump will become hot full time using the drive brain for programming, speeds, times, features set up, etc.. That is also very easy to do. Don't let this scare ya when its done it will work very well. Pump noise will probably be cut in half. Make sure you have 220v It looks like you do. Snap a close up pic of the door open inside of your time clock and we can probably tell if you don't know already. Like Mellow said about the warranty.

I think the super flo is 6ish my cost, and the Intelliflo 9ish.

I'll look up the S320 and S420 for ya, its more then the 200.

Mellow what do you think about the 20 Intellichlor for the size of the pool. Pool cover and a pool area roof I bet it'd be fine.

House with a pool on a canal in FL lucky Fucker...

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Right enclosed Pool on the water, niiicceeeee!
320 or 420 I’d prob opt for the 420 just because it can handle higher flow rate when you want to blast the wall jets. And being indoors I’d bet you would need to clean once per year at most.

And yes the 20 can handle up to 20k gallon Pool. Meaning if your less, then output is lowered. The lower the output the longer the life of cell.
Most cells last 5 years ish based on 100% output at 8 hours ish per day, just like a light bulb burned at 100% it has an expected life of use. Reduce output 40-30% you gain that back in life expectancy.
Hope that makes sense

And not to sound harsh to your Pool guy, but holy shit he must be retarded. Honestly with Pool being enclosed, large filter, vs pump, salt cell. Your “maintanence” is adding a qt or so of acid per week. What the hell else is he doing other then splashing water to resemble work, lol
That Pool set up correctly should be nearly self maintaining.

And actually you can get a relocation kit for pump control and mount that just inside your pool room and operate it from inside. Or upgrade to the new intelliconnect control and operate pump, light, and salt all from phone. Many options to make the pool great again :D you just need an installer and service guy that knows what the hell they’re doing.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Oh yeah I've watched our pool guy. Comes in dumps some chlorine in and sweeps the pool and he is out in under 15 minutes, every week. Charges us 75 dollars a month. This is how they do it down here. Yard guys do the same thing. This place is ripe for an intelligent pool service guy that can design, sell and maintain higher end pools and equipment

I will be doing the install, set up and maintenance on the system when we move up to this new equipment. The last pool in AZ we had built I designed it to be maintenance free with pop ups, auto chemical dispenser, two pumps, and a sand filter (which I like better) all ran off of the Easytouch. I eventually had to ditch the chemical dispenser and change over to salt. Super easy to maintain and crystal clear all the time.

G= if you could send me a text 623-606-0277 on the cost of the Intelliflo, 320 filter, Intellichlor 20, and for shits and giggles the Easytouch. I probably wont do the controller right now but in the future I will want to run the pool pump, pool light, heater, and additional single speed pump for a separate water feature we have. We can figure out the timing and logistics of placing the order and picking it up. Many, Many thanks buddy

MYV= Thanks for all the suggestions as this is the part where I tend to struggle especially when I am doing something that I am not an expert at. I hate when I make my job harder by not getting matched components. If I get the Easytouch what components will I need to make it work with what I am doing? I want to be able to control it with my phone. I think the 4 relay kit will be enough and I'm assuming I will need the wireless bundle, the water temp sensor and will I need anything special to run the VS pump or is that built in?

You guys rock and have certainly earned a free stay at my place. Let me know when you want to enjoy some Florida weather....

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Lmao, VDP has been gone since the shit show in his Pool thread. I kinda feel bad, ;)
he was a decent dude. But I will say the stuff I warned him would happen with his plaster, from what Iv heard did happen, just sayin. lol

And ya that’s what I said - nor-tech, wait what! :D
I think you heard wrong, saw him last week and we were talking about our pools and pool guy. Mine still needs to be done really bad but i still don’t have 30k laying around

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Ez touch has everything included and if doing salt it can be the integrated unit.
And yes wireless bundle add

There is a new unit just came out called intelliconnect that may be less for what you need

And yes they all will control vs pumps and speeds

G. Faulk

Reaction score
10-4, I'll work on it tomorrow. If your watching your budget get the basics now and add automation later. Your call. Its fairly easy like Mellow said. All price it all out thanks