WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need some prop advise

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Hey Church!

As some of you know, I am back in the outboard game with a 2018 Shockwave 22 deck. We are running a 400r with a Bobs Extreme Jac 12".

Boat came with a BRAVO 1 FS 23p which was great to get on plane but too small, so I bought a 25P MAX 5. I like the Max 5, it takes a bit to plane when loaded but once the boat settles in, it feels really good and has no low speed hop like the Bravo 1 did.

I am looking to buy another prop for the boat and looking for some suggestions.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I guess a good place to start would be why are you looking to buy another prop? What is the one you have lacking?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
^^^What he said^^^

And you can always shorten the long diffuser on it, usually 5/8” to 1”. Loses some stern lift and picks up 1 mph usually.

stoker2001

Reaction score
those 400s have a HUGE diameter bullet as do all the new merc V8 outboards,thus all the older stuff that worked on Optis with smaller diameter gearcases don't do well on the modern stuff..Rake and diameter is quite abit different..i hear lots of peeps are happy with Mike Hill/buckshot racing on FB

GETBOATS

Reaction score
You mentioned the 23 was too small, how so? over rev? the 25 slow to plane, suggest posting your max RPM at WOT loaded the way you'd run it, Fuel-people-equip-trimmed the way you'll run it most of the time. let it rip for a mile to get an accurate max RPM. check the manufacturer rated rpm range and share where that max rpm falls whit in that range. most run best when propped in the upper end of that range, food for thought

stoker2001

Reaction score
You mentioned the 23 was too small, how so? over rev? the 25 slow to plane, suggest posting your max RPM at WOT loaded the way you'd run it, Fuel-people-equip-trimmed the way you'll run it most of the time. let it rip for a mile to get an accurate max RPM. check the manufacturer rated rpm range and share where that max rpm falls whit in that range. most run best when propped in the upper end of that range, food for thought
HEY John how goes it?Great words of wisdom here!Every boat is different when comes to props.my Knowledge comes from mostly tunnels running near or over triple digits..The five blades seem to be the new trend (with these Merc400s or any V8 outboard) as long as diameter and rake is right..?otherwise the slip factor goes thru the roof