WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need to rebuild or replace two Ray Jays 301 E- Who or what would you recommend

acespack

Reaction score
I have a 514ci Ford with a single four barrel PFM/ Banks system. One or more of the turbos is leaking oil into the inner cooler. Turbonetics no longer carries a replacement, so I'm looking for ideas. 2016-05-10 09.33.31.jpg

Love some help,

Jack 559-392-6444

jmeads

Reaction score
I have a 514ci Ford with a single four barrel PFM/ Banks system. One or more of the turbos is leaking oil into the inner cooler. Turbonetics no longer carries a replacement, so I'm looking for ideas. View attachment 514434

Love some help,

Jack 559-392-6444

Call Carson Brummett at 626-792-6410 chances are he will have replacement parts or at least tell you what your options are.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Call Carson Brummett at 626-792-6410 chances are he will have replacement parts or at least tell you what your options are.

obnoxious 001 may know !!! Barry to the White phone please :D:D

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Turbokits.com $269.95 each . In 2008 they were $150.00 .......

Maybe just buy some Chinese ball bearing new ones for the price of these kits ...........

acespack

Reaction score
obnoxious 001 may know !!! Barry to the White phone please :D:D

Brummett has no parts nor replacement turbo's; however, great guy who was very helpful and took the time to talk.

Barry, its Jack you sold me a cam for this motor. Any ideas?

acespack

Reaction score
Turbokits.com $269.95 each . In 2008 they were $150.00 .......

Maybe just buy some Chinese ball bearing new ones for the price of these kits ...........

Maybe I could be convinced assuming, I could find a direct replacement. However, just getting a vendor to return a call is not happening. I have a line drawing of the 301 E so we could match something up; assuming they sell anything that not car manufacture specific.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Brummett has no parts nor replacement turbo's; however, great guy who was very helpful and took the time to talk.

Barry is good dude !!! I think he worked for Gale Banks back in the day

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

Barry is good dude !!! I think he worked for Gale Banks back in the day

I don't know what kind of direct replacement is available, guess it's about time to learn. I would have thought Carson would have known. If kits are available I can rebuild them. Yes I worked for Banks,, but not as a turbo rebuilder. Have done a few, not many, but they didn't fall apart.

AzGeo

Reaction score
IF you run the fuel too rich, the excess gas will dilute the carbon on the 'exhaust carbon seal' and allow oil to go out the exhaust .

If this is the problem, it just needs to be run up to 'running temps', and the oil will 'carbon up' the seal and the oil leak will stop .

You are SURE that the compressor side is leaking ? Leaking oil into the 'intake side' ?

Those compressor seals don't often fail, the one on my BB Chevy truck is 37 years old with 500K miles, and still no leaks .

I suspect a 'rust' or 'bearing/shaft problem', if the compressor side leaks oil, even after being parked for years .

I rebuilt a pair back in 2008, can't believe the parts prices are going up that quickly . Had to make a 'press spindle piece' to align bushings as they are being pressed into center piece . (old prop shaft
cut down in a lathe)

Good luck .

AzGeo

Reaction score
Maybe I could be convinced assuming, I could find a direct replacement. However, just getting a vendor to return a call is not happening. I have a line drawing of the 301 E so we could match something up; assuming they sell anything that not car manufacture specific.

Everything today is way lighter rotating mass, but air flow numbers would be what I would use . What is an 'E-flow', 550/600 HP ?

The new turbos (ball bearing or not) don't need these 'pinched off' Engle cams any longer, so the motor will just get boost 'instantly', and that ain't a bad thing .

I'm going to upgrade to a newer style, lighter weight, little larger turbo when I do my truck this winter . The prices on turbos under 1000 HP (single) are getting better every day .

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Turbo Power in Cameron Park rebuilt 2 of the exact turbos you have for me in July of 2014 so not too long ago. They were the only ones that had the parts for those turbos.

800-887-2648

78DiMarco

Reaction score
I had bought a pair of Turbonetics so called replacements back in 2007, these ended up with leaking seals that smoked big time at start up after about a year. These were replaced with a new set of ceramic bearing models by Turbonetics that are great. They spin up quick and no smoke and bring on the boost.... These were ordered by Alexi at Boostpower. I bet they may still have these as they are T4's and worked as a direct replacement. I have basically the same setup but with EFI now.

Good luck with the project....

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
I have a 514ci Ford with a single four barrel PFM/ Banks system. One or more of the turbos is leaking oil into the inner cooler. Turbonetics no longer carries a replacement, so I'm looking for ideas. View attachment 514434

Love some help,

Jack 559-392-6444
I did mine, they are actually very simple to go through as long as nothing has had a catastrophic event. Carson will do them for you as long as:
1- He (and you) have plenty of time and money
2- You provide the parts

I got my parts thru TurboKits; get ready to spend a ton for a couple of bags of seals/rings etc. however the parts are genuine Rayjay and of quality. They will also go thru your TC's if you decide to have someone else do them. Give Grant a call at 860.676.2929.
Hope it helps Jack

ImNOTGuy

Reaction score
Turbo Re-Source in Lake Havasu. Give them a call. They may be able to help. (928) 505-4610

BUSTI

Reaction score
I had bought a pair of Turbonetics so called replacements back in 2007, these ended up with leaking seals that smoked big time at start up after about a year. These were replaced with a new set of ceramic bearing models by Turbonetics that are great. They spin up quick and no smoke and bring on the boost.... These were ordered by Alexi at Boostpower. I bet they may still have these as they are T4's and worked as a direct replacement. I have basically the same setup but with EFI now.

This was my first thought. Upgrade to Turbonetics. I've used their turbos for my off road stuff for years. Great products.

Oliver1421

Reaction score

I don't mean to steel the thread but I have the exact same motor and I'm looking at getting a brand new set of turbonetics turbos. Do you mind sharing the specs of your turbos so I can get them ordered? I appreciate the help!
Gary

78DiMarco

Reaction score
I don't mean to steel the thread but I have the exact same motor and I'm looking at getting a brand new set of turbonetics turbos. Do you mind sharing the specs of your turbos so I can get them ordered? I appreciate the help!
Gary

They are T4's but I don't have the detail on the specs. Call Alexi at BOOSTPOWER as he ordered them and configured the system. He may have some info or can help out. They spin up quick and really bring on the boost. I added Turbonetics RaceGate wastegates and had the risers custom made to accept them. Good luck with the project, fun stuff! Bert

AzGeo

Reaction score
Turbo Re-Source in Lake Havasu. Give them a call. They may be able to help. (928) 505-4610

Have you dealt with Tom on these sized/kind of turbos lately ?

I was under the impression that he only did 'fleet rebuilding accounts' .

machinist68

Reaction score
Boostpower has been super helpful to me in the past :readpb: