WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Needing some help

hallett21

Reaction score
So admittedly I’ve been on hiatus due to @RiverDave killing Tapatalk 😁.

Just got a call from a sub who knows someone who knows someone in this position.

Just need some elderly advice on what to do. It’s Christmas and they have a one year old living in this.

Obviously gut and bleach it. My knowledge is reading plans framing and electrical. I haven’t seen it yet so not sure where the moisture is coming from.

Trying to get the family to leave tonight or tomorrow morning. (Husband, wife and kid)

I can install the greatest exhaust fan In the world but that’s probably not solving the issue.

My understanding it is that this is a converted garage in Compton.

Planning on putting eyes on it in the morning. Gutting it, renting a dehumidifier from United and covering everything in bleach.

Appreciate any help

Loren.
888A0A6D-BC17-4A09-A08D-9B937347458D.jpeg
2D1B7B42-2ACB-493F-8D86-E204BF878C19.jpeg
16EA00AE-E1EB-4D81-BCD8-91016821B569.jpeg
1F3845EB-1009-444E-9D51-1839D9BB4F3F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Thats beyond bleach and gut IMO. Thats pro level mold remediation far beyond what I would do even as a GC. I wouldn't even step foot in it without a respirator at minimum...can't believe people were living in it let alone with a baby :mad:. They need to be out immediately, CPS would be on them like flies on shit if they found out about it. Is the property insured, that's going to get expensive fast.

hallett21

Reaction score
Thats beyond bleach and gut IMO. Thats pro level mold remediation far beyond what I would do even as a GC. I wouldn't even step foot in it without a respirator at minimum...can't believe people were living in it let alone with a baby :mad:. Is the property insured, that's going to get expensive fast.
This is a guy who knows a guy sort of thing. I’m just trying to make it right for a one year old during Christmas. Myself and another contractor are willing to make it right but I’m between a rock and a hard place. If this was a customer the whole building would be gutted.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is it just in the bathroom? Is it unpainted drywall? Where does the exhaust fan vent to if it’s even hooked up?
My understanding is a 16’x16’ converted garage with a bathroom. All inside the 16x16 foot print.

hallett21

Reaction score
I realize this is a cluster fuck. Just looking for heads up advice from those who deal with this regularly.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
This is a guy who knows a guy sort of thing. I’m just trying to make it right for a one year old during Christmas. Myself and another contractor are willing to make it right but I’m between a rock and a hard place. If this was a customer the whole building would be gutted.
I would get them in a hotel first thing. Second suit up and bleach it, then demo it and then bleach it and dry it out and go from there. there has to be a pretty active source of moisture for that kind of mold to form. I saw a couple jobs like this on condo's, and that was essentially what had to be done. Once you get the drywall down moisture meter the studs etc...that will tell you a lot..and let you know how deep into it you will have to go.

I just googled it, there are quite a few kitchen style suite hotels in the area for around $100 a day for the time being.

hallett21

Reaction score
I would get them in a hotel first thing. Second suit up and bleach it, then demo it and then bleach it and dry it out and go from there. there has to be a pretty active source of moisture for that kind of mold to form. I saw a couple jobs like this on condo's, and that was essentially what had to be done. Once you get the drywall down moisture meter the studs etc...that will tell you a lot..and let you know how deep into it you will have to go.

I just googled it, there are quite a few kitchen style suite hotels in the area for around $100 a day for the time being.
Let’s assume the water source is a simple fix. Do you think 7 days with dehumidifier, heater and bleach on everything is long enough?
Obviously stripping all drywall

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Let’s assume the water source is a simple fix. Do you think 7 days with dehumidifier, heater and bleach on everything is long enough?
Obviously stripping all drywall
thats not a question I could answer definitely, you can bet it will take several days to dry out, and if its really that bad id treat it more than once to make sure its all dead/gone. Beyond basic remediation we always subbed it out bc we didn't want the liability coming back on us. Mold and anything to do with it scares the shit out of me liability wise..the pro's have the stuff/training to actually solve it beyond basic bleach. You can pick up mold test kits and test to be sure..which I would for sure do. Best of luck and good on you for trying to help them.

Last edited:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
What do they have for heating? We were in an apartment for a year. The heater was a hot water coil from the water heater so no dehumidification. We would regularly get mold starting around the windows sills.

Just trying to give different ideas about where it could be coming from.

hallett21

Reaction score
What do they have for heating? We were in an apartment for a year. The heater was a hot water coil from the water heater so no dehumidification. We would regularly get mold starting around the windows sills.

Just trying to give different ideas about where it could be coming from.
I’ll look at it tomorrow. Appreciate the help/idea to look for.

yz450mm

Reaction score
From what I understand, bleach does not kill the mold spores. Get that family out of there ASAP, and have the local Authority condem the property. There is no way in hell anybody should be living in that disaster zone, especially a child.

As far as remediation, that is a whole other story. If you aren't certified in mold remediation, then you should not touch that with a ten-foot pole. If you are going to open up that box of worms, then make sure you have an airtight written contract signed in blood.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
As far as remediation, that is a whole other story. If you aren't certified in mold remediation, then you should not touch that with a ten-foot pole. If you are going to open up that box of worms, then make sure you have an airtight written contract signed in blood.
x2...insurance/licensing for that kind of work etc. I know the OP is trying to do a good thing, but damn thats a can of worms to open.

hallett21

Reaction score
From what I understand, bleach does not kill the mold spores. Get that family out of there ASAP, and have the local Authority condem the property. There is no way in hell anybody should be living in that disaster zone, especially a child.

this is the direction I’m leaning. But a laborer reached out to us so I feel compelled to try and help them (it’s his sister). I know how to handle this professionally and I’m willing to kick in a few bucks. But I can see 10k without trying.
x2...insurance/licensing for that kind of work etc. I know the OP is trying to do a good thing, but damn thats a can of worms to open.
Like I said rock and a hard place. It’s a nightmare and a half. Just trying to help them out. And maybe calling the state is the help.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had/have lower income family type issues like this in the past. As for the "repair", I'm no good on the abatement portion. What I have seen that leads to stuff like this though are obvious plumbing issues. Most were due to lack of roof penetrations, trying to do a stealth build out. The vent pipes and the vent fans weren't stubbed out to the exterior...allowing moisture to build in the "attic" space, and creep down the walls. With the overall size of the room, the ventilation in general will be an issue. Even prison cells have either one side open, or large vents.

wzuber

Reaction score
I would think a fungicide before bleach? Maybe a roofers torch? Lol
several propane heaters could b helpful to hasten the dryout, a couple small fans to move air a bit and several good hepa filters on air intake and for certain on the exhaust side.
How did the people living in that even breath? They must have some good immune system to tollerate that level of contamination.
I sure hope the old saying " no good dead goes unpunished" doesn't comes along afterward.
@HNL2LHCi might have some good input having lived/worked in the Hawaiian islands his whole life...
Tjat place is a mold petre dish.
Good luck and good on ya for trying to help out...
Merry C-mas

hallett21

Reaction score
I would think a fungicide before bleach? Maybe a roofers torch? Lol
several propane heaters could b helpful to hasten the dryout, a couple small fans to move air a bit and several good hepa filters on air intake and for certain on the exhaust side.
How did the people living in that even breath? They must have some good immune system to tollerate that level of contamination.
I sure hope the old saying " no good dead goes unpunished" doesn't comes along afterward.
@HNL2LHCi might have some good input having lived/worked in the Hawaiian islands his whole life...
Tjat place is a mold petre dish.
Good luck and good on ya for trying to help out...
Merry C-mas
I’m told they’ve lived like this for weeks/months. Part of me says road flare while I drive by. The other part has a little compassion for those down on their luck.

Anything other than taking care of their kid starting tomorrow and I’ll start dialing state numbers I guess. Sent the photos to my trauma RN wife. She hasn’t responded since she’s at work. I’m sure she’ll have a spirited response when she sees this.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Might want to google bleach and mold
Since you are using the browser now.. ;)

I don’t believe bleach is gonna solve that problem. That’s gonna take something that truly kills mold.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I can't offer anything but mental cheerleading, but like others and yourself have said, that's a nightmare.

You are awesome for even looking into it IMO. Bravo Sir. Much Respect.

Christmas spirit in the flesh!

hallett21

Reaction score
Might want to google bleach and mold
Since you are using the browser now.. ;)

I don’t believe bleach is gonna solve that problem. That’s gonna take something that truly kills mold.
For the love of god bring back TT!!!!
Honestly it’s been an attitude here lately but whatever doesn’t matter now.

I agree. It’s a strip and fumigate job.

Ironically this stems from @Joker posts. I have an employee who’s friend of a family needs help. This guy shows up and works 8 hours a day. Doesn’t complain and always asks what he can do to help. Guy makes $200 a day.

The last 3 could barely work 6 hours a day.

So when he comes to us for help I want to help.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Not in construction professionally, but I've done my fair share of major home projects....I'm not sure I'd save that. I'd wrap some chains around the whole structure and pull it down with my truck and load it in a dumpster. If it's a 16x16' garage, a couple guys can frame/sheath/roof that thing in a day. Another day for plumbing/electrical/drywall, and another couple days for paint/fixtures. The thing could be gone and put back up correctly without the city even knowing you were there. Lumber costs can't be that crazy for a 16' box.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Ironically this stems from @Joker posts. I have an employee who’s friend of a family needs help. This guy shows up and works 8 hours a day. Doesn’t complain and always asks what he can do to help. Guy makes $200 a day.

I am working on the attitude thing..

wzuber

Reaction score

That sounds like a great reason to want to help and could very likely create a quality, life long, loyal employee relationship. I wish you all involved nothing but the best. Yore a good dude for wanting to help for sure.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I had/have lower income family type issues like this in the past. As for the "repair", I'm no good on the abatement portion. What I have seen that leads to stuff like this though are obvious plumbing issues. Most were due to lack of roof penetrations, trying to do a stealth build out. The vent pipes and the vent fans weren't stubbed out to the exterior...allowing moisture to build in the "attic" space, and creep down the walls. With the overall size of the room, the ventilation in general will be an issue. Even prison cells have either one side open, or large vents.
This makes sense, as does the post about checking for slab moisture with a plastic sheet. We had a plumbing fixture drip cause black mold on the ceiling below it, it take a LOT of moisture to grow that much mold.

Helping these people is indeed a noble act for the holidays.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
IMO this has to do with the lack of venting steam from the shower., it’s been cooler lately and hotter showers are being used. Pretty sure that air vent doesn’t work and just the light or vents in a voided space above. It could be one of those things that it looks worse than it is.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That is a vented ceiling fixture. Doesn’t mean it’s working though. When you open that up be prepared for the worst. See the light spots from the framing? That’s not surface mold. It’s penetrating from the inside.

C08H18

Reaction score
Enough said about the mold already.

I had a caregiver move into a spare apartment of mine years ago when my wife got sick. The caregiver had been living in a converted garage - same issue with poor ventilation. I couldn't let her move her belongs as everything had mold spores. Even if you fix the bath, the gal will have continued problems now that mold spores are in her clothes, mattress, furniture... The 'good guy' move here is to help her find a different living situation, move her, and buy her a new bed, bedding, and essentials. @hallett21 can start a GoFundMe and give the RDP inmates an opportunity to share in the Christmas spirit. Count me in.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Damn, I feel for what you're trying to do, but you can't easily fix that. I was certified in Mold assessment and remediation many years ago.. that's nasty stuff. All I can say for sure, like others already did, Bleach doesn't do anything except turn mold white. It doesn't get rid of it. That's about as bad as I've ever seen.

get the kid and the girl out of there..

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I've demo'd several showers / bathrooms that had a fan that had been added but had zero ducting, they just vented into the the lid above/behind the drywall. Crazy.
Being that it sounds like a scab-on hack job, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I use a pump bug sprayer w/ water to wet down jobs that may have nasty shit in the walls . . . helps keep the dust down a bit. Good Luck & wear a respirator if you're gonna be doing the work.

wzuber

Reaction score
Enough said about the mold already.

I had a caregiver move into a spare apartment of mine years ago when my wife got sick. The caregiver had been living in a converted garage - same issue with poor ventilation. I couldn't let her move her belongs as everything had mold spores. Even if you fix the bath, the gal will have continued problems now that mold spores are in her clothes, mattress, furniture... The 'good guy' move here is to help her find a different living situation, move her, and buy her a new bed, bedding, and essentials. @hallett21 can start a GoFundMe and give the RDP inmates an opportunity to share in the Christmas spirit. Count me in.
GFM sounds like a good idea...
I'm sure many of us inmates would like to help out...

wishiknew

Reaction score
I've demo'd several showers / bathrooms that had a fan that had been added but had zero ducting, they just vented into the the lid above/behind the drywall. Crazy.
Being that it sounds like a scab-on hack job, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I use a pump bug sprayer w/ water to wet down jobs that may have nasty shit in the walls . . . helps keep the dust down a bit. Good Luck & wear a respirator if you're gonna be doing the work.
What exactly is a scab on hack job ????

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
What exactly is a scab on hack job ????
. . . it's adding on to an already established dwelling . . . with shitty work , looking to add on some square footage in order to raise rent for an already questionable rental . . . any more questions???

wishiknew

Reaction score
. . . it's adding on to an already established dwelling . . . with shitty work , looking to add on some square footage in order to raise rent for an already questionable rental . . . any more questions???
No was just curious what that meant

gqchris

Reaction score
I visited a friend once in Guadalajara and that bathroom reminds me of what her family lived in. It was crazy, but that is considered normal there. Its amazing how many every day comforts we take for granted here.The thick paint is to try to cover the mold. The tube sock filters the heavy sewage coming out of the fresh water supply.
B6BB1CD8-BE4B-41E3-912C-A6C838BA23A4.jpeg

76AFBD17-049E-4987-A923-14CDCCB3D498.jpeg

0E82F9F4-99E4-4CBA-B0D0-86176DF922E1.jpeg

7556F15C-5932-4A7B-B93A-73E167713022.jpeg

petie6464

Reaction score
What the hell is that? Are you in Bangladesh?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Correct-O-mundo

no ventilation