WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Networking People Need Help Big $$$

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Total Shot in the dark but looking for someone in the networking industry that knows about these.

Its a CISCO CRS-16-LCC-B=

I have a friend who has aquired 7 of these new in the crates and he is looking to sell them. This is not the business he does so its not in his ballpark but looking to sell them. Any ideas on who to contact? Know of someone in need of these?

Please let me know.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
You could throw them on Ebay, or reach out to 3rd party resellers, that will cut you off at the knees but handle everything :)

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Could be difficult as it’s the chassis and those don’t really move quickly and MOST who buy them are going to want to get it with some type of warranty/exchange as when the backplane fails you will need a) a finger to point to, and b) an immediate replacement.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Could be difficult as it’s the chassis and those don’t really move quickly and MOST who buy them are going to want to get it with some type of warranty/exchange as when the backplane fails you will need a) a finger to point to, and b) an immediate replacement.

Yea the warranty is gonna be critical, or the value will drop significantly.. like 90%. It depends entirely on how these were "acquired" as to if someone that buys them wodul even be entitled to the factory warranty, if it even still exists.

That said there is a market for these either way.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Yea the warranty is gonna be critical, or the value will drop significantly.. like 90%. It depends entirely on how these were "acquired" as to if someone that buys them wodul even be entitled to the factory warranty, if it even still exists.

They were acquired legally no worries there. But totally understand about the warranty issues. Dont think going through EBAY at 150k a pop is the right answer tho

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Reach out to the Democrats. They have to be setting up new servers now that Dominion is out in th open. Maybe Killery is in the need of a few as well.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
They were acquired legally no worries there. But totally understand about the warranty issues. Dont think going through EBAY at 150k a pop is the right answer tho

theres one that sold back in nov for $7500.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 2.29.44 PM.png

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

Tell your buddy i take a 5% commission.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That is good especially If they are boxed up and new. But even still the warranty and support is why those are expensive. Without that they are worth nearly nothing.

I'm not saying this to piss on the parade, but he's never gonna get $150K a pop for those. He'd be lucky (like super lucky) to get $75K from a reseller who is going to want to mark them up, and that is if they are supportable and warrantable. Used ones without support go for literally nothing.. like $7500 as shown.

I'm just telling you this as someone that has been on both ends of this equation and been down both lanes of this road.

The big problem as you've seen and will run into is finding a buyer. You likely aren't going to find an enterprise buyer yourself for those things that will just cut some dude with new Cisco gear a check for top dollar. It becomes a massive liability for them not being purchased via proper channels. So now you are on to the grey market or smaller buyers, that don't have that kind of coin. That is where all the hardware flippers come in. These guys have the buyers the relationships and the 3rd party warranty and support contracts to bundle with the gear to make it sellable. Again, they will make the gear go away and pay you, but they will chop you off at the knees.

Last edited:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Are they sealed / or NOB new open box? Does he just have the bare metal chassis or any line cards / supervisors / routing engines / power supplies? Selling these into Cisco customers as lab equipment / development environments / or as spares would be the most likely avenue on something this big. But as others have eluded no one is going to run these in production without putting on factory support.

I can call a couple of people locally that do this but honestly they will need to run the Serial Numbers and get a better picture of where these came from.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Not the kind of routers we use, but I'll make a call to some friends.

sintax

Reaction score

this is my exact thoughts....

unless he got them for free hes gonna lose his ass on the deal.

So anyone whos in the market for those is not someone who doesnt already have a cisco or 3rd party sales rep, and anyone whos in that game has a service contract for support, AKA wont be covered.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
Cisco won't allow you to add these to your smartnet contract, they have done a pretty good job of isolating the grey market after all the counterfeit stuff in 2020. That means no support, no warranty, no firmware, I would be very cautious.

sintax

Reaction score
Cisco won't allow you to add these to your smartnet contract, they have done a pretty good job of isolating the grey market after all the counterfeit stuff in 2020. That means no support, no warranty, no firmware, I would be very cautious.

Yup!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

X1000

To your point, in my experience Cisco is the absolute worst with this.

At my old company we almost lost our Cisco reseller status because our sister company that was a gear flipper sold some refurb Cisco gear to a client for their dev lab that would never see the light of day. The Cisco rep found out and started a shit storm over it.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
That is good especially If they are boxed up and new. But even still the warranty and support is why those are expensive. Without that they are worth nearly nothing.

I'm not saying this to piss on the parade, but he's never gonna get $150K a pop for those. He'd be lucky (like super lucky) to get $75K from a reseller who is going to want to mark them up, and that is if they are supportable and warrantable. Used ones without support go for literally nothing.. like $7500 as shown.

I'm just telling you this as someone that has been on both ends of this equation and been down both lanes of this road.

The big problem as you've seen and will run into is finding a buyer. You likely aren't going to find an enterprise buyer yourself for those things that will just cut some dude with new Cisco gear a check for top dollar. It becomes a massive liability for them not being purchased via proper channels. So now you are on to the grey market or smaller buyers, that don't have that kind of coin. That is where all the hardware flippers come in. These guys have the buyers the relationships and the 3rd party warranty and support contracts to bundle with the gear to make it sellable. Again, they will make the gear go away and pay you, but they will chop you off at the knees.
not looking to get 150k but obviously the most possible is what he is looking for....i understand how it all works....need the contacts like you said!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Are they sealed / or NOB new open box? Does he just have the bare metal chassis or any line cards / supervisors / routing engines / power supplies? Selling these into Cisco customers as lab equipment / development environments / or as spares would be the most likely avenue on something this big. But as others have eluded no one is going to run these in production without putting on factory support.

I can call a couple of people locally that do this but honestly they will need to run the Serial Numbers and get a better picture of where these came from.
These have everything in them from what he can tell which is why he opened one box....the rest are sealed I believe...can get all the details if needed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
These have everything in them from what he can tell which is why he opened one box....the rest are sealed I believe...can get all the details if needed.
Need serial numbers and if they are tied to some SmartNet contract.

Here is the other potential pain point if selling them to someone.

Someone buys them and to transfer them to their SmartNet contract they need to be inspected and certified by Cisco. That will cost tens of thousands.

I’ve seen that happen a ton of times.

outboard_256

Reaction score
You can get 3rd party warranty so that may not be a deal breaker to a smaller company looking for some enterprise equipment. We often get 3rd party warranty on older equipment when mfg rates get too high. Down side is most of the replacement parts are refurbished.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
These are blade routers, they require licensing to add any hardware and features to them, again if you cant get them registered with cisco they are just boat anchors. You can easily check for yourself, get one of the s/n#s and call CDW or some other scab reseller tell you want smartnet qouted and see what they say.

DaveH

Reaction score
good luck. how exactly did your friend even acquire something like this?

this isn't some piece of stereo equipment from best buy. this is serious high dollar enterprise networking equipment. there is no way he is going to move it without being able to prove where it came from.

maybe take it down to some shady third world country to move it....that's what its going to take.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

this isn't some piece of stereo equipment from best buy. this is serious high dollar enterprise networking equipment. there is no way he is going to move it without being able to prove where it came from.

maybe take it down to some shady third world country to move it....that's what its going to take.

This is where a lot of gear like this ends up.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If you get .05% on the dollar you will be doing good.

Google secondary network equipment buyers and some will pop up for you to call.

I have sold 100s of thousands of dollars of equipment via the secondary market over the years. Usually when we would upgrade customers and their existing equipment was end of life concerning any support.

Cisco is an entirely different ball game and they do track serial numbers as indicated by others. If its stolen (not saying it is) it would be traceable.

mbrown2

Reaction score
All of the above...try and sell them himself on ebay as is...or better post something on linked and tag a bunch cisco tags... Also try the cisco user groups...https://community.cisco.com/t5/local-cisco-user-groups/ct-p/5071-cisco-user-groups

I hear folks are saying these are worth next to nothing without factory support but I call BS... I have gear in data centers that after your 3 year support agreement runs out and you no longer want to get gouged by the manufacture you can put them on support and maintenance with someone else. Plenty of companies will provide support for these for a fraction of the cost of Cisco support .... Trace3, ePlus or SHI to name a few......The person that buys these for a discount over new understands they are also going to pay for 3rd party support for them as well. There are lots of folks buying from the secondary market....not me but I am also in a regulated industry...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All of the above...try and sell them himself on ebay as is...or better post something on linked and tag a bunch cisco tags... Also try the cisco user groups...https://community.cisco.com/t5/local-cisco-user-groups/ct-p/5071-cisco-user-groups

I hear folks are saying these are worth next to nothing without factory support but I call BS... I have gear in data centers that after your 3 year support agreement runs out and you no longer want to get gouged by the manufacture you can put them on support and maintenance with someone else. Plenty of companies will provide support for these for a fraction of the cost of Cisco support .... Trace3, ePlus or SHI to name a few......The person that buys these for a discount over new understands they are also going to pay for 3rd party support for them as well. There are lots of folks buying from the secondary market....not me but I am also in a regulated industry...

You can buy one for $10K and buy a 3rd party support contract for it. A new one with no warranty has maybe 10% of its value for that reason.

When you can buy a 3 year old one for $10K and buy a 3rd party support contract, that is what you are competing with in the market.

Dirtbag

Reaction score

my friend buys big businesses that arent doing well for pennies on the dollar and rights the ship...then sells them....sometimes he buys sinking ships and liquidates them for much more than he bought them for...Hardest working smartest working person ive ever been around.....has 4 jets that other people pay for haha....dude is amazing with money

Dirtbag

Reaction score
i find it funny how some people think things like this is shady just cause of the dollar figure......some people are just on another level we cant fathom....my friend is on that level

gqchris

Reaction score
I have a 5 million dollar fiscal yea budget for Networking Gear at my job. The last thing I care about is getting a deal! I am more concerned with the quality of service I receive the support I receive if something happens and knowing I have a rep on the line within two minutes to rectify a problem. So the buyer of equipment of this caliber isn’t really concerned about getting it for a good deal unfortunately. Like mentioned above. Just my thoughts as a potential buyer.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
It's weird some non industry guy would have these to offload. I'm not saying these are hot, just a random item to barter with.

I have sent so much gear that was 100s of thousands when purchased to the recycle co. Nuts

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Your friend can likely get 10-30% of what retail if they are relatively new. I view your friend as a company liquidator so he is not looking to get retail but whatever he can....I get 5-7 calls a week with people wanting to buy my aging enterprise/data center gear.....so there is a market for it; maybe not your traditional enterprise buyer but there is a market or people would not be calling to buy and then flip it. Everyone here is an expert at telling your friend he is wasting his time and will not make any money :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
i find it funny how some people think things like this is shady just cause of the dollar figure......some people are just on another level we cant fathom....my friend is on that level

People think it is shady because 9 times out of 10 it is because how the gear was procured is shady or grey market.

If your friend bought the business that legitimately bought these things, he should have the information on the support contracts etc. if he does not have it he can call Cisco and get it.

You should have shared that detail from the beginning :)

Reactions: SJP

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a 5 million dollar fiscal yea budget for Networking Gear at my job. The last thing I care about is getting a deal! I am more concerned with the quality of service I receive the support I receive if something happens and knowing I have a rep on the line within two minutes to rectify a problem. So the buyer of equipment of this caliber isn’t really concerned about getting it for a good deal unfortunately. Like mentioned above. Just my thoughts as a potential buyer.

X1000.

You got a “deal” on some gear that isn’t supported and it goes down, then you find out the craptastic 3rd party support is 8x5 next business day and your network can’t be fixed quickly, leaving the business hard down. Suddenly no one gives 2 shits you saved them $100k, and you are out on your ass looking for a new gig.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
X1000.

You got a “deal” on some gear that isn’t supported and it goes down, then you find out the craptastic 3rd party support is 8x5 next business day and your network can’t be fixed quickly, leaving the business hard down. Suddenly no one gives 2 shits you saved them $100k, and you are out on your ass looking for a new gig.
We call that an RGE sir……….

“Resume’ Generating Event”! 😂

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Great thread. I hate talking about work on this site. I would rather be boating. So I am going to break this down into performance boating terms. (the following is completely made up and hypothetical).

*** To the OP - not a lot of details on this so do not take it personal. Everyone that has put forth input in this thread in my opinion is spot on. The company or person that picks up this project is going to deal with a very difficult business climate hence the "cutting off at the knees" as some have put it.

FAKE LISTING - QTY 7 MTI 390X blank hulls, unpainted, new in storage - no trailers, windsheilds, or hardware, hatches ETC. BARE. For SALE. FOB Hawaii. Make Offer.
1. What do you think Randy (MTI) is going to do when someone calls to provision hardware, covers, brackets, etc? Inquires on HIN, vintage, warranty? Think he will cut us a deal on bulk paint? He has Merc 450 allotments - I think he will hook us up...
2. Are there any shops, fabricators that may take on the project or investment? Yes I am sure there are but do you know Mr. XYX in Detroit or Mrs. Mississippi (she does look hot on Instagram)? They are sponsored and authorized Merc outfits so they are not going to come running to you. Potentially can use for personal use or testing but would strictly need to be off the books and only take these projects on with certain clients or collaborative resources.
3. There is a hull issue - not sure how long these hulls were in storage in Waikiki. Lets ping Randy and see what he has to say.. Maybe he can send out 2 new hulls to us. We need them next week to start testing for Dessert Storm.
4. Joe Bob Mary Anne from Arizona resold to Jim Pete Plummer and he promptly crashed into a buoy marker in the bay. Jim's wife thinks manufacturer is at fault. Randy is calling us on line 1....

This is the absolute scenario that happens on these deals. The market has changed and in many ways dried up over the years and honestly I am glad. Again great thread. I learned today a lot about skid steers and that is one one of the many reasons I really like this site.

Last edited:

Roosky01

Reaction score
Great thread. I hate talking about work on this site. I would rather be boating. So I am going to break this down into performance boating terms. (the following is completely made up and hypothetical).

*** To the OP - not a lot of details on this so do not take it personal. Everyone that has put forth input in this thread in my opinion is spot on. The company or person that picks up this project is going to deal with a very difficult business climate hence the "cutting off at the knees" as some have put it.

FAKE LISTING - QTY 7 MTI 390X blank hulls, unpainted, new in storage - no trailers, windsheilds, or hardware, hatches ETC. BARE. For SALE. FOB Hawaii. Make Offer.
1. What do you think Randy (MTI) is going to do when someone calls to provision hardware, covers, brackets, etc? Inquires on HIN, vintage, warranty? Think he will cut us a deal on bulk paint? He has Merc 450 allotments - I think he will hook us up...
2. Are there any shops, fabricators that may take on the project or investment? Yes I am sure there are but do you know Mr. XYX in Detroit or Mrs. Mississippi (she does look hot on Instagram)? They are sponsored and authorized Merc outfits so they are not going to come running to you. Potentially can use for personal use or testing but would strictly need to be off the books and only take these projects on with certain clients or collaborative resources.
3. There is a hull issue - not sure how long these hulls were in storage in Waikiki. Lets ping Randy and see what he has to say.. Maybe he can send out 2 new hulls to us. We need them next week to start testing for Dessert Storm.
4. Joe Bob Mary Anne from Arizona resold to Jim Pete Plummer and he promptly crashed into a buoy marker in the bay. Jim's wife is thinks manufacturer is at fault. Randy is calling us on line 1....

This is the absolute scenario that happens on these deals. The market has changed and in many ways dried up over the years and honestly I am glad. Again great thread. I learned today a lot about skid steers and that is one one of the many reasons I really like this site.
Can you try with something other than boats? I'm having a hard time understanding?

Seriously though, good post!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

4. Joe Bob Mary Anne from Arizona resold to Jim Pete Plummer and he promptly crashed into a buoy marker in the bay. Jim's wife thinks manufacturer is at fault. Randy is calling us on line 1....

Excellent analogy. I figured you were in this space based on your boat name.

We aren’t saying any of this to disparage the OP or his friend. As you said the market has changed.

gqchris

Reaction score
Excellent analogy. I figured you were in this space based on your boat name.

We aren’t saying any of this to disparage the OP or his friend. As you said the market has changed.
I never knew Sam was in this field unitl this thread, and we have hung out on occasions. Hence we both hate talking about work obviously! 😂
@SJP whats your boats name?
My in water cruiser back in the day was named this below. Always got a ton of questions. LOL

Screenshot 2022-01-06 125722.jpg

Dirtbag

Reaction score
It's weird some non industry guy would have these to offload. I'm not saying these are hot, just a random item to barter with.

I have sent so much gear that was 100s of thousands when purchased to the recycle co. Nuts
thats one of his main businesses

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I never knew Sam was in this field unitl this thread, and we have hung out on occasions. Hence we both hate talking about work obviously! 😂
@SJP whats your boats name?
My in water cruiser back in the day was named this below. Always got a ton of questions. LOL

View attachment 1078997

DCB M31 - Point to Point
DW32 - CAT 5

I have a few other good ones in the que when the right boat comes around.

SJP