WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New 28 Bullet question needing answered.

Gelpro

Reaction score
Hello members, My name is Dan LaBonte and I am a new member to this site and a recent new owner of a Howard 28 Bullet with 500efi power.
I have been in the Marine repair business for over 30 years, 20 of them here at the Lake of the Ozarks Missouri. (Gelpro Fiberglass LLC.) www.gelprofiberglass.com
I own several boats but my favorites are the custom built rockets out of the south western states such as Hallett, Cole, Howard, ect.
I have a question for any Howard 28 Bullet owners out there. I was told with the power my Bullet has it should run 75-77 mph. We have tested two props and can only reach 68.8mph on Gps speedo and confirmed on a hand held Gps. The boat has 315 hrs and has not had the Valve springs replaced yet. I just sold my Hallett 270-S and the Lab 26P Mercury prop took that boat to its best at 77mph and it weighs about 800 lbs more but has a more aggressive pair of steps in the hull and has more lift to the bow.
My question being...Is the this Howard done AT 70 MPH? Do I need yet a better prop change? Im open to suggestions. Gene at Howard says the boat should be running much faster.
Im going to check the Cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filters ect. this weekend and eliminate them from the process.
Thanks ahead of time for any help! I love this site!
Dan

TBulger

Reaction score
We have a 2014 28 Howard Bullet with a 525 as seen in the picture. On the Dam Run Saturday, we had 2 adults and a full tank of gas, did 70mph on the money. I didn't bother to look again, as gas gage went down and maybe it could have been trimmed better, but I think your pretty close on your number. Hope this helps. :)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
We have a 2014 28 Howard Bullet with a 525 as seen in the picture. On the Dam Run Saturday, we had 2 adults and a full tank of gas, did 70mph on the money. I didn't bother to look again, as gas gage went down and maybe it could have been trimmed better, but I think your pretty close on your number. Hope this helps. :)

You should be running better than that. What prop?

Gelpro

Reaction score

That boat should do 80 easy!

NicPaus

Reaction score
26 mercury labbed

What RPM? I can spin a 26 labbed to 5000 RPM and 73-74 MPH. 496 HO low fuel light load 26' boat.

Friend has a 25 Bullet with 500EFI runs a 26 stock prop. Can get the speedo to 80 but not sure GPS. I would say low 70s would be about right with a 28' unless you are on empty and no passengers.

Post up a picture I love the Bullets!

Gelpro

Reaction score
What RPM? I can spin a 26 labbed to 5000 RPM and 73-74 MPH. 496 HO low fuel light load 26' boat.

Friend has a 25 Bullet with 500EFI runs a 26 stock prop. Can get the speedo to 80 but not sure GPS. I would say low 70s would be about right with a 28' unless you are on empty and no passengers.

Post up a picture I love the Bullets!

I'll post a photo soon. I have a 28 4 blade on my 382 Fastech Formula I'm going to test today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what the results are. My Gps speedo shows exactly what my handheld says,

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did they give the info on what size prop on those test. ?

Labbed Bravo 27. Neighbor with a 525 Magic said he saw the best numbers with this prop as well.

I mentioned it to my Buddy with the 25 with 500 he tried a 28 a little to much prop so he has just been running the 26. I think he could spin the 27 without a full boat load.

Gelpro

Reaction score
Labbed Bravo 27. Neighbor with a 525 Magic said he saw the best numbers with this prop as well.

I mentioned it to my Buddy with the 25 with 500 he tried a 28 a little to much prop so he has just been running the 26. I think he could spin the 27 without a full boat load.

Mercury only makes even numbered pitches so I guess they had the 27 made special for that test boat or one could Lab a 28 and have about the same as a 27P as labing takes a little out of the pitch by thinning the blades. I was talking with Gene at Howard and he told me that the 27 was a special made prop just for that test boat so it would be preforming to its highest potential in the test competition. (And they won their class with that 28 Bullet that year)
I putting a "Mazco" tweaked Bravo 1 28P RH prop on my Howard this morning and seeing if I can find any improvement in speed. Our weather is much cooler today with considerably less humidity in the air so I have a good feeling about todays testing. I'll give results latter today.

NicPaus

Reaction score
They make a labbed 27. I just checked and Teague has them in stock for $1062. I will see if I can find the one i saw listed used for $550 obo.

Gelpro

Reaction score

Just finished the third prop test on the 28 Howard. I need to drop way down to a 24P as the 28P Lab went 65 mph at 4600 rpm in todays test. That will be the last test (24P) which should put the rpm's at about 5300 or a little less.

Chestah Cheetah

Extra Medium
Reaction score
Just finished the third prop test on the 28 Howard. I need to drop way down to a 24P as the 28P Lab went 65 mph at 4600 rpm in todays test. That will be the last test (24P) which should put the rpm's at about 5300 or a little less.

A 24 is way too small, don't bother.

I had a 28 Bullet with a 525EFI that ran a 78.3 best with a stock 28P 4 blade Bravo. Full gear and probably 1/4 tank with 2 adults if I recall. I personally didn't like the 27P overall.

Gelpro

Reaction score
A 24 is way too small, don't bother.

I had a 28 Bullet with a 525EFI that ran a 78.3 best with a stock 28P 4 blade Bravo. Full gear and probably 1/4 tank with 2 adults if I recall. I personally didn't like the 27P overall.

Something must be wrong with the power then. May have some broken inner valve springs or just needs a major tune up, i.e. Cap, rotor, wires, both fuel filters, plugs and so forth. This boat it just to perfect inside and out. Its truly a museum piece. I'll did deeper and find out where the boat is lagging at. 316 hrs is not a lot and the previous owner is a personal friend of Gene at Howard Boats that is the most anal person Ive ever seen with all his toys!

B-RAD77

Reaction score
I too have a 2014 28 Bullet I think mine was finished just after TBulger's. Mine has a Merc 565. I don't think I'm going to be much help. Mike at Howard told me he got 85 mph out of my boat on the test drive before i took delivery. I boat a Lake Powell at about 36-3700 feet in elevation plus I carry enough stuff for camping for three for 4-5 days ( and I drink a lot of Beer) best I've seen on the GPS speedo and Handheld is 74 mph about the same I get at my local lake that is about 5200 feet I run a stock Merc 26 pitch I get the tach up to about 4900 RPM. I want to go to Havasu and really dial in a top speed number just to see. But my kid plays football so I'm tied to that from the end of July through first of November. I will say that my old 25 Eagle would get 6-7 MPH faster at Havasu then Powell

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I have a 25 Bullet closes bow with a 525. I would get 80 @ 5600 with a 27p B1 labbed from merc which is actually a 26 modified up to a 27. I felt like I was over reving and losing efficiency so I just got a labbed 28 B1 from Bblades that I'm getting 80 at 5400 but is not very responsive. I was hoping for more. I did have 4 people in the boat that day, so I'm going to test it again with only 2 of us. Hope this helps.

Gelpro

Reaction score
Does anyone think Im nuts? I think in my altitude this set up should run at least 73-75 mph or better? I cant believe it wont hit 70 mph. (69.8 best)
Thanks for all the replies. you guys are the best!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Does anyone think Im nuts? I think in my altitude this set up should run at least 73-75 mph or better? I cant believe it wont hit 70 mph. (69.8 best)

I think it should to. Hate to be negative but, maybe the engine is just a little tired.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

I bet your Density Altitude is way over 3,000 feet on a hot humid day at your lake. Between the high density altitude and a well used engine, I would have to think that's worth at least 7-8 MPH.

Gelpro

Reaction score
IMG_2884.jpg IMG_2883.jpg IMG_2885.jpg IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2887.jpg IMG_2888.jpg IMG_2889.jpg

Here are some quick photos of this beautiful boat. There is absolutely no visible wear anywhere on this Howard 28 Bullet inside or out.

Gelpro

Reaction score
View attachment 505517 View attachment 505516 View attachment 505520 View attachment 505521 View attachment 505522 View attachment 505523 View attachment 505524

Here are some quick photos of this beautiful boat. There is absolutely no visible wear anywhere on this Howard 28 Bullet inside or out.
You should see the bilge and bilge pump....I don't think water has ever touch them...I'M serious the boat is brand new. I'M afraid to spill something! Gene told me to expect that condition of the boat. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, both water fuel separator and the rear in line filter and they were all spotless. I love the Dana tabs and especially the Dana billet hydraulic hinges, so much nicer than electric actuators. And fast up and down, amazing!

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
You should see the bilge and bilge pump....I don't think water has ever touch them...I'M serious the boat is brand new. I'M afraid to spill something! Gene told me to expect that condition of the boat. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, both water fuel separator and the rear in line filter and they were all spotless. I love the Dana tabs and especially the Dana billet hydraulic hinges, so much nicer than electric actuators. And fast up and down, amazing!

Nice boat! What year is it?

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
315 hrs is not tired for that engine... Unless most of those hours are at wot rpm. What ties at rpm range did you read on the scanner?

Did you check the ignition timing and plugs? Do a compression test? You do have 1.50 gears in the out drive?

Gelpro

Reaction score
315 hrs is not tired for that engine... Unless most of those hours are at wot rpm. What ties at rpm range did you read on the scanner?

Did you check the ignition timing and plugs? Do a compression test? You do have 1.50 gears in the out drive?
Couldn't pull the Rpm ranges out of the older scanner we used but going to do that soon. The plugs look great. They were all a "ash" color and consistent. The ratio is 1.50 on the drive. I installed a new cap, plugs, rotor and both fuel filters. Timing and compression were not checked yet. The boat sound strong and doesn't miss a beat. Previous owner is a Master Mechanic that owns is own successful business for years. He is also very anal....maybe too anal. The boat is absolutely flawless and looks like a 2 year old boat in every way. Im starting to think maybe our recent 96 degree weather with a feels like of 107 and 100% humidity my be the problem. I've been driving performance boats for over 38 yrs. and Im the owner of a marine repair business here at the Lake of the Ozarks. I agree that the boat is NOT worn out in any way. I love this boat! I just want it to run as fast as the 2000 Hallett 270-S (500efi) I sold to buy it!

Seas

Reaction score
Dan,

This will make it easy for you. Check out the following Performance Boat Magazine test from 2007 of my 2006 28' Bullet closed bow with a 525 and 28 labbed prop. It is posted on the Howard website but here it is: [video=youtube_https;c9IZLGoGqFY]https://youtu.be/c9IZLGoGqFY[/video]

The best the test team could get was 78 MPH which is interesting as just prior to turning the boat over to the test team I was able to squeeze out 80 on the GPS speedo. (Might have something to do with the size of the test driver!)
80 MPH 12-31-06.jpg

When we designed the gel coat layout for our build in 2006, we spent a lot of time trying to come up with something that would be simple yet elegant, and we thought original. I swear we had no idea that your boat existed! The colors may be different but the design is freaky close!
Seastrom 28 Bullet.jpg
32.jpg

Hope this helps and enjoy your new ride!

Wes