WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New 28' cat w/ outboards. How do you pick?

Boat211

Reaction score
So we have 3 pretty stellar builders out here when shopping for a new boat in this category. There all fairly similar in speed it seems and I'm assuming base pricing is close too. Though I can't confirm that. So is it just a feel from visiting the shops? Please share your experiences.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Are you limiting to just West Coast shops?

Boat211

Reaction score
I'm fond of the west coast boats. DCB, Nordic, and Eliminator. I guess mainly because that's what I have been exposed to.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Base pricing seems broad actually. We are going to pull the trigger on a new one here soon. I have talked with Nordic, DCB, and Eliminator. All have their pros/cons, there are things that I like better on each one over the other, their delivery times are pretty similar, but if you want it for next summer you might be too late already. I am going to talk with Spectre before I make my final decision. I wish I had the scratch for the MTI, but I have to assume they are well above the others in price.

catman

Reaction score
Base pricing seems broad actually. We are going to pull the trigger on a new one here soon. I have talked with Nordic, DCB, and Eliminator. All have their pros/cons, there are things that I like better on each one over the other, their delivery times are pretty similar, but if you want it for next summer you might be too late already. I am going to talk with Spectre before I make my final decision. I wish I had the scratch for the MTI, but I have to assume they are well above the others in price.

The MTI is 34' not really comparable to a 28' center pod cat.I would check on pricing on the MTI 34X.I talked with Tim Gallagher from MTI last year in Key West and the pricing was not out of the park....The boat is pure badass !!!!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Because I know very little about the East coast boats I'll comment on the West. Between the DCB, Eliminator and the Nordic the quality is fantastic. It appears the Eliminator is the largest at 28.5 with a 108" beam which allows for dual in boards, the DCB is 28' with a 108" beam which allows for the same. The Nordic is 28' 2" but is 102" beam and because of design actually a little shorter and would be limited to a single in board. It is a fantastic boat just somewhat smaller. The Eliminator has a small disadvantage that because the top has not been retooled for outboards and you choose to go outboards you have some wasted space.

I really don't know much about the pricing, but would suspect the Nordic to be a little less than the DCB and the Eliminator, and maybe the Eliminator to be slightly less the the DCB.

I wasn't going to give an opinion but what the heck. Because I prefer the looks and have seen them stable at close to 180MPH, I lean towards the the Eliminator Speedster. It also appears to possibly be the fastest with outboards between the two larger boats. I would choose the Nordic if I wanted something a little smaller, and how could you not consider possibly the best rigged boat out there, the DCB. I await more info on the DCB's 28 and 29 performance and handling.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
From what I've heard on build prices I would say the pricing ranks.....

1. DCB
2. Elimnator
3. Nordic

The build prices on Nordics seem to be the bargain these days. Arizona costs of doing business versus California I'm guessing is a large part of it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Because I know very little about the East coast boats I'll comment on the West. Between the DCB, Eliminator and the Nordic the quality is fantastic. It appears the Eliminator is the largest at 28.5 with a 108" beam which allows for dual in boards, the DCB is 28' with a 108" beam which allows for the same. The Nordic is 28' 2" but is 102" beam and because of design actually a little shorter and would be limited to a single in board. It is a fantastic boat just somewhat smaller. The Eliminator has a small disadvantage that because the top has not been retooled for outboards and you choose to go outboards you have some wasted space.

I really don't know much about the pricing, but would suspect the Nordic to be a little less than the DCB and the Eliminator, and maybe the Eliminator to be slightly less the the DCB.

I wasn't going to give an opinion but what the heck. Because I prefer the looks and have seen them stable at close to 180MPH, I lean towards the the Eliminator Speedster. It also appears to possibly be the fastest with outboards between the two larger boats. I would choose the Nordic if I wanted something a little smaller, and how could you not consider possibly the best rigged boat out there, the DCB. I await more info on the DCB's 28 and 29 performance and handling.

The DCB 28 is a twin outboard or single IO boat. You can not do twin IO's in the 28.

Boat211

Reaction score
Wonder why e ticket basically disappeared with that flat deck 28 o/b boat years back....seems they could be a real contender and get back in the game.[emoji41][emoji106]

That e ticket was a bitchen lookin boat. Did that have a center pod? Small cockpit though. Hard to beat the interior room of the DCB. I'm sure the other west coast interior space is similar.

New to boating

Reaction score
So we have 3 pretty stellar builders out here when shopping for a new boat in this category. There all fairly similar in speed it seems and I'm assuming base pricing is close too. Though I can't confirm that. So is it just a feel from visiting the shops? Please share your experiences.

You may want to call Peter at Skater as well. About a month ago we were chatting about a variety of things and he indicated that they are revamping the 28, wider tunnel, flat deck, wrap windshield specifically designing it for twin 400 (or the next generation bigger HP than the 400 which Merc Racing will be releasing soon).

With the pricing of the other 28's out there I suspect Skater will be right in the mix with a predictably faster boat.

Worth a call to find out how much progress he has made.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would put my money on the DCB.

Quality and details are over the top. Just look at how they went from F series to M series with new designs.
Someone over their is doing a good job a improving the boats.

Boat211

Reaction score
You may want to call Peter at Skater as well. About a month ago we were chatting about a variety of things and he indicated that they are revamping the 28, wider tunnel, flat deck, wrap windshield specifically designing it for twin 400 (or the next generation bigger HP than the 400 which Merc Racing will be releasing soon).

With the pricing of the other 28's out there I suspect Skater will be right in the mix with a predictably faster boat.

Worth a call to find out how much progress he has made.

The Skaters performance is tough to beat. But they have that small cockpit I was mentioning. I had a Talon and it was similar in that you had to climb into the front seats. I like the Nordic design with the seats squeezed in the middle and the room around the sides. But all the room in the DCB is pretty darn nice.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Wonder why e ticket basically disappeared with that flat deck 28 o/b boat years back....seems they could be a real contender and get back in the game.[emoji41][emoji106]

Agreed, although the canopy deck may need to be re-tooled to go with the now popular wrap around windshield.

One of my favorite E-ticket boats.

Attachments

• E-ticket.jpg
    E-ticket.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 75

MrMayhem

Reaction score
From what I've heard on build prices I would say the pricing ranks.....

1. DCB
2. Elimnator
3. Nordic

The build prices on Nordics seem to be the bargain these days. Arizona costs of doing business versus California I'm guessing is a large part of it.

Agreed. Az is much cheaper to do business.
I am in the process of building my second 28SS (this time with twin 400's). The guys at Nordic are a pleasure to do business with. Plus, I will only be using my boat in Havasu and having them in the city is a big bonus. While a tad smaller than the 28 Daytona and DCB, it has proven to be a bit faster as well. Nordic quality is top notch these days. You cannot go wrong.

Hammer

Reaction score
Agreed, although the canopy deck may need to be re-tooled to go with the now popular wrap around windshield.

That's an outstanding looking hull. Put a wrap around windshield on it and I bet it would be a contender.

Boat211

Reaction score
Agreed. Az is much cheaper to do business.
I am in the process of building my second 28SS (this time with twin 400's). The guys at Nordic are a pleasure to do business with. Plus, I will only be using my boat in Havasu and having them in the city is a big bonus. While a tad smaller than the 28 Daytona and DCB, it has proven to be a bit faster as well. Nordic quality is top notch these days. You cannot go wrong.

I am following your build. Looks like it will be nothing short of awesome

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Thanks. It pops tomorrow! I'll be sure to post some pics!

Gelcoater

Reaction score

I think you should shop tour all three builders. Go see for yourself how it's done, and meet the people that do it.

How stuck are you on the 28 foot mark?

What if there was a 27 that had more interior room than the 28 Speedster? Would that interest you?

chvynhra

Reaction score
27' speedster all the way. Big interior and still small enough to take to Parker.

Boat211

Reaction score
I think you should shop tour all three builders. Go see for yourself how it's done, and meet the people that do it.

How stuck are you on the 28 foot mark?

What if there was a 27 that had more interior room than the 28 Speedster? Would that interest you?

Absolutely!!!!! Really would like an M26 if they existed. Had good experiences in an F26.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'd go Eliminator with 400's of course. Just stop in and talk to Bob Leach. I'm biased though....second generation Eliminator family. My dad bought his first one in 1977 and I can't even explain how Bob has gone above and beyond for him and myself.

X-rated

Reaction score
3 words........DEE CEE BEE!!!!
I am perhaps somewhat bias!!

707dog

Reaction score

i know where the sister boat to this one and i cant wait for it to be back on the water been in it at 140mph totally bad azz

shueman

Reaction score
Does anybody know any updates about RPM? My dad has placed multiple calls to Joe after the Havasu boat show with no response.

Fake News ... Joe was in our shop last week ...

attitude

Reaction score
Fake News ... Joe was in our shop last week ...

I didn't say he was dead, I just think it's weird that he won't return an interested parties phone calls, I hope whatever he has going on he gets it handled and can get some new RPMs on the water soon.

Andy01

Reaction score
I think i would look long and hard at the company's that have brought new products to the market place in recent years, and would look at resale. I'd also ask myself after that, what is important to me, room under the bow, fit and finish and or top speed. If top speed is more import over any other facts I'd look at a wide tunnel. If looking east call Bruce Bullock, he is a dealer for MTI and Skater. I'd only deal with him on a eastern deal, if DCB all Tony one of the owners at DCB, he is second to none in experience and hands on building/setting up/driving cats out west. I write policies for all mentioned, and have driven most of the newer cats. It's going to come down to what you want, versus just dollars.
FYI, I'd give Joe at RPM a chance, just because he didn't call you back doesn't mean he doesn't want your business, or can't build a quality boat. He might just be over the top busy. I have quoted 7 boats for him this month so far, yes this month.

Boat211

Reaction score
I am really more interested in a center pod boat. Though a true tunnel like a Skater performs so well at high speed, I'm not sure they are the most comfortable at lower cruising speeds.

shueman

Reaction score
Eliminator now has a full inner-liner mold for the 27' and soon the 28' Speedster Outboard versions. Gives the customer much more flexibility in their build ... more space, more seating options, etc.

27speedster-cockpit.jpg

New to boating

Reaction score
The Skaters performance is tough to beat. But they have that small cockpit I was mentioning. I had a Talon and it was similar in that you had to climb into the front seats. I like the Nordic design with the seats squeezed in the middle and the room around the sides. But all the room in the DCB is pretty darn nice.

The redesigned Skater will have a larger cockpit - it is curious to me that people are so focused on the ability to "loan these boats up" with passengers - if you have every ridden in the back seat of any of these boats at speed you will likely never want to do it again, and if you invite any Girls for a back seat ride at speed they will spend 4 hours getting the knots out of their hair. In addition to this a 28-30ft Twin Outboard Cat is about 80% less fun to run with 4 or 5 people in it vs. 1 or 2 people as they are very weight sensative.

New to boating

Reaction score
Eliminator now has a full inner-liner mold for the 27' and soon the 28' Speedster Outboard versions. Gives the customer much more flexibility in their build ... more space, more seating options, etc.

View attachment 571800

Time to get a twin engine TOON if you want that many people going for a cruise in a 28 footer - blender, big screen TV etc all on board

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

View attachment 571800

This will be VERY interesting to see how the boat(s) handle the huge shift in CG. I love the idea of having more cockpit space and this looks great. To each their own, I'm sure there will be someone who pays to build a 28' twin 400R walk thru open bow with as many seats as possible. Basically a deckboat on steroids.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
The redesigned Skater will have a larger cockpit - it is curious to me that people are so focused on the ability to "loan these boats up" with passengers - if you have every ridden in the back seat of any of these boats at speed you will likely never want to do it again, and if you invite any Girls for a back seat ride at speed they will spend 4 hours getting the knots out of their hair. In addition to this a 28-30ft Twin Outboard Cat is about 80% less fun to run with 4 or 5 people in it vs. 1 or 2 people as they are very weight sensative.

I don't know anything about the new redesigned Skater but I can tell you the ride in the rear seat between a 25 Daytona I/O and 308 Skater twin 300XS is night and day difference. I fully realize we are not comparing apples to apples. Everyone that has ridden in the rear seat of our 308 has said the rear seat is more comfortable than the front, especially in big water. I've ridden in the back seat of a 28 Skater at 114mph and it was awesome. We had that same 28 in some big water outside the Golden Gate and it was very comfortable running 40-50mph launching off swells and white caps. I'm no expert, just giving my experiences.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Time to get a twin engine TOON if you want that many people going for a cruise in a 28 footer - blender, big screen TV etc all on board

Perhaps that's one perspective.
Another would be the ability to have a very versatile boat. Mama is happy, there's a seat for all. On big weekends or extended family vaca, the entire family can cruise at a comfortable speed to the hot spots. The engines won't miss a beat running at any rpm for extended periods of time...reliability.

Then, on Sunday when the tanks are lower, Daddy can go out and play with the hot rods and get his speed fix.

On the plus plus side, these boats will have the big Garmin or vessel view screens..sort of like a TV :)
So TV, check. :thumbsup

Blender? Check:thumbsup got two of them hanging off the back.:thumbsup:thumbsup

New to boating

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the new redesigned Skater but I can tell you the ride in the rear seat between a 25 Daytona I/O and 308 Skater twin 300XS is night and day difference. I fully realize we are not comparing apples to apples. Everyone that has ridden in the rear seat of our 308 has said the rear seat is more comfortable than the front, especially in big water. I've ridden in the back seat of a 28 Skater at 114mph and it was awesome. We had that same 28 in some big water outside the Golden Gate and it was very comfortable running 40-50mph launching off swells and white caps. I'm no expert, just giving my experiences.

If that is your boat in you Avitar looks like it has no wind protection? - none of my comments apply to a "no wind protection boat" - totally different deal.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I am really more interested in a center pod boat. Though a true tunnel like a Skater performs so well at high speed, I'm not sure they are the most comfortable at lower cruising speeds.

I've never seen anything that convinces me that Skater has some speed advantage in smaller water, especially the smaller models.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Perhaps that's one perspective.
Another would be the ability to have a very versatile boat. Mama is happy, there's a seat for all. On big weekends or extended family vaca, the entire family can cruise at a comfortable speed to the hot spots. The engines won't miss a beat running at any rpm for extended periods of time...reliability.

Then, on Sunday when the tanks are lower, Daddy can go out and play with the hot rods and get his speed fix.

On the plus plus side, these boats will have the big Garmin or vessel view screens..sort of like a TV :)
So TV, check. :thumbsup

Blender? Check:thumbsup got two of them hanging off the back.:thumbsup:thumbsup

These should be outstanding all-around boats but not for someone chasing the big # on the top end. No boat is perfect at everything.
Yes, our 308 has electric/mechanical over-sized wind deflectors. This is not about comparing my boat to these new 28's from any manufacturer.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
This will be VERY interesting to see how the boat(s) handle the huge shift in CG. I love the idea of having more cockpit space and this looks great. To each their own, I'm sure there will be someone who pays to build a 28' twin 400R walk thru open bow with as many seats as possible. Basically a deckboat on steroids.

Thats what I would build personally. I prefer the walkthru open bow over a deckboat.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 571800
Fuck yeah! Finally someone is fully utilizing the extra space the outboard allows. As far as the CG and extra weight and all, I kinda doubt they'll be too far off with only 1 or 2 people in there. Family or big group time you throw a pair of lower pitch off-the-shelf bravos or something on there then when it's time to drop people off and go run, swap the props to some badass cleavers or whatever works best for the boat and go have some fun. Motors on Jack plates as well to help with the load characteristics.

If I could afford to buy a new, badass boat, this would be it. Hands down.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Jason, I know you mentioned the 26' DCB and you liked that size. There was a new build thread that basically died about a 25' E-Ticket they were supposedly going to offer with twin 300XS or possibly 400R. I have no idea if you can get a walk-thru open bow or even if they are building them. 25-28' is a great size Delta boat especially if you never plan to go west of Pittsburg. 27' Speedster would be incredible with 400's

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

New To Boating, you "still" have a PM. :D

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

I fully agree with big 28-34' outboards being a LOT more fun with 1-2 people and they are very weight sensitive, especially with twin 300XS. I have not ridden in any boat powered by 400's.

Andy01

Reaction score
I think it is great to see the bulk head moved and the seats added. Nice work eliminator!! I am sure the CG will be off a bit, but depending on how you intend to use the boat, it's got a ton of room in it! You could do lounges on the two outside rear seats. Or center seating like a MTI. :thumbsup A lot of options with the rear opened up.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think it is great to see the bulk head moved and the seats added. Nice work eliminator!! I am sure the CG will be off a bit, but depending on how you intend to use the boat, it's got a ton of room in it! You could do lounges on the two outside rear seats. Or center seating like a MTI. :thumbsup A lot of options with the rear opened up.
I agree. I am genuinely excited about these options even though there ain't an ice cube's chance in hell I can afford one. And it's pretty easy to get the CG where they want it with outboards. If they want it further forward, move tanks further forward, move batteries under the deck, etc.... further back is even easier, build brackets to locate the motors further back.

G. Faulk

Reaction score

Shu, will you tell Mathew next time he's driving and out for pics to at least get the motors straight, GEZZ...:D:D Maybe its what he's looking at in the pic that threw him off?:D:D

Beautiful boat.

I have not actually been in this boat but I hear its all that and a bit more.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

View attachment 571800

Boom this is what I would/will build when the boys are a bit older but with 4 seats across the back and two in front. I was waiting to see pics of it...bad ass for sure. Can't wait to see the 28 opened up up as well.