WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New 79 Spectra 20 Project

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Finally getting around to posting this. Picked this sucker up a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't pass up the deal. I love these boats and have always wanted one. By far may favorite hull of all time. They just look so good.
spectra4.jpg

spectra1.jpg

Its a 1979 20. Has a merc 260/alpha combo but thats gonna get changed. Right now the plan is to strip her down and clean it up and see whats usable and not. Then i can get a better idea of what i need to get and the road moving forward. The 260/Alpha will get pulled so if anyone is interested in it let me know (its missing a few parts but mostly there). I already have a 5.3LS I had Bostick build me for another project that is now gonna go in this. I haven't dynod it yet but It should be somewhere in the 450hp range. Gonna put a bravo on it but don't have one yet so ill be on the hunt for a deal. Interior is pretty much garbage and I'm tossing. I want to change to a rear bench anyways. I have never been a big fan of the jump seat set up. Trailer definitely needs some work and those gangster wheels are the first thing to go. I don't know who thought those looked good, lol. Im super excited for this project. I think with the LS/Bravo deal it should be a real good runner. Ill try and keep you guys updated as much as possible.👍

Xring01

Reaction score
I am expecting a Stress Eliminator type of thread...
So break out some fiberglass, some math, physics, a couple engineers, boat load of work, lots pictures, and answering our questions...

Those are the best threads.. you got your work cut out for you;)

guest hs

Reaction score
I have a used bravo transom assy. That just needs a new tiller arm.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Good luck with the project, several Spectra guys on here, if you need any help let us know!

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
I am expecting a Stress Eliminator type of thread...
So break out some fiberglass, some math, physics, a couple engineers, boat load of work, lots pictures, and answering our questions...

Those are the best threads.. you got your work cut out for you;)
[emoji38] I'll try my best! It's probably gonna be a slow going project in the beginning so bare with me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Good luck with the project, several Spectra guys on here, if you need any help let us know!
Thank you. I've read all you spectra owners threads. Some good inspiration on here for sure. I guarantee I'll have lots of questions for you guys.

hd85ironhead

Reaction score
I've been rebuilding my 78 Spectra 20, a bit at a time. Got lots of info, if you have a question.

Backlash

Reaction score
Nice boat and a nice work space you have too. Keep the thread going with updates when you have time. ;)

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Nice boat and a nice work space you have too. Keep the thread going with updates when you have time. ;)
Thank you. Im gonna try. Busy times right now so im not getting anything done on it but after memorial im planning on getting after it.[emoji106]

Rapp

Reaction score
Nice boat can’t wait to see what you do to it. Did you by any chance get that from a guy in central Cal? I was looking at on up there.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Nice boat can’t wait to see what you do to it. Did you by any chance get that from a guy in central Cal? I was looking at on up there.
Got it from a guy in Kerman not far from. Fresno.

Rapp

Reaction score
Yep that’s the one. Stoked for you brother! You got a sweet boat at a sweet price. Keep posting.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Yep that’s the one. Stoked for you brother! You got a sweet boat at a sweet price. Keep posting.
Thanks. Its a little more nasty and dirty inside then I expected but the hull is solid and in good shape. Just needs a good wet sand and buff. Im super excited to get this thing going.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Finally made a little progress on her the other day. My brother and I got the floors mostly ripped out. The we proceeded to remove the engine and drive. Its definitely nasty in here. Looks like its had some bad oil and possible power steering leaks for some time. That combined with it sitting outside in a dust bowl under trees did not help. Gonna be a lot of scrubbing for sure.[emoji30]
20210613_152843.jpg
20210613_152829.jpg
20210818_184102.jpg
IMG_20210818_202236_137.jpg
20210818_184111.jpg
IMG_20210818_202232_822.jpg

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a small block 350 or alpha drive let me know. This will be posted in the for sale section. I need this out of my way and have no use for it. Original mercruiser 260 set up. Everything goes.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Getting busy!!!! my gosh the picture of the floor boards next next to the trailer brought back memories...actually made me start to twitch :) I remember when I was tearing our down and my wife walked into the garage and laughed, that was all she did then walked in the house, next time she came out to look we had the cap off :)
SPECTRA Cjpg.jpg

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
Getting busy!!!! my gosh the picture of the floor boards next next to the trailer brought back memories...actually made me start to twitch :) I remember when I was tearing our down and my wife walked into the garage and laughed, that was all she did then walked in the house, next time she came out to look we had the cap off :) View attachment 1041502
[emoji23] Ya it wasn't fun. I think I'm gonna have to get a hazmat suite to clean out all the grime from the bottom. I still have some floor to remove under the bow. The boat was basically a spider nest when I got it so im really avoiding going under the bow, lol. I don't have the confidence or time to separate the deck from the bottom, thats ceazy.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
If you are near Long Beach I got a sawzall and in 15 minutes we can have that deck off and give you complete access :). It freaked me out when my Buddy wanted to do it, but I was not on ay time crunch, I knew this was going to be a long haul resto so what the hell we cut it off.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
If you are near Long Beach I got a sawzall and in 15 minutes we can have that deck off and give you complete access :). It freaked me out when my Buddy wanted to do it, but I was not on ay time crunch, I knew this was going to be a long haul resto so what the hell we cut it off.
I'm not to far. Im in anaheim. Im sure getting it off is easy its putting back together that freaks me out. Last thing I need is for it to split apart because i did a bad job glassing it back together. But the full access to the bow is kinda nice. Im trying to avoid as much glass work as possible on this thing. Really the only glass work I need to do is the floor and figure out the opening for the bravo swap. Im gonna have to figure out if I can make space to set the deck somewhere while I clean it out.[emoji848]

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I was just having some fun. my cap was popped, we duct taped the thing together when I drug it home from Boulder and its a shit ton of work putting it back together.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I love those boats. There absolutely timeless looking when there restored or updated. I can't wait to see how the project turns out.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
I was just having some fun. my cap was popped, we duct taped the thing together when I drug it home from Boulder and its a shit ton of work putting it back together.
Dang thats crazy. Ya I don't think I want to go through all that hassle. I don't even think I'm gonna take the rub rail off until I'm ready to paint it. Probably just buff it out and leave it as is for a while.

PuraVida Victory

Reaction score
I love those boats. There absolutely timeless looking when there restored or updated. I can't wait to see how the project turns out.
Ya I absolutely the day cruiser style. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to get one. I hope it turns out great. Gonna be a lot of learning for me on this one.[emoji23]