WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Avalon 23' Quad Lounge

DonS

Reaction score
I ordered a new Avalon Quad Lounge the second week of February, expecting delivery to take about 8 weeks. As soon as the deposit crossed from my hands to theirs, they tell me the boat will arrive sometime in late May, early June. That's 15-16 weeks.

The owner calls me a couple of days later and tells me that he already had a boat in the queue and he'll insert my order, shortening the delivery time. We had specked a boat almost identical to the L.A. Boat Show boat they had on display. I upped the motor size form a 200 Yamaha to a 250 Yamaha and added (electric) power steering.

Before the boat went into production, I also upgraded the fish finder and stereo.

The boat finally comes in on May 11th, a week or so early. It takes the dealer until May 17th to be rigged and ready for delivery….on my birthday, and one day before we leave on a three week cruise. I arrive at the boat store (80 miles from my house) and the boat looks good. As I look closer, there is no stereo upgrade, but they tell me they got me the lighted speakers...really! I continue checking and find, no power steering. The owner tells me it's a mistake by the factory.....more likely, the dealer didn't add it to the order he copied from the Boat Show model. He goes inside and comes back out a few minutes later and says they'll have the steering in two days.

Obviously, I left the boat and told him I would pick it up on June 7th, the day after our cruise. I call him a week before we get home and he still doesn't have the parts that were to take two days to get. We're on a really tight schedule before a planned boating trip and his errors are cutting into the few days I have to add gear and gadgets and get some break in hours on the engine.

I pick up the boat on June 8th. As we're connecting the trailering plug, the new boat uses a flat 5 pin, instead of the 4 and 7 pin that comes on the back of my Canyon. I do have a 7 round to 4 flat adapter that will work, but the trailer brakes won't release if I back up....no biggee. I do ask if they sell them....he says yeah, they're about $6.00. Keep in mind, I paid $75K for the boat, they screwed up my order, caused me an additional 80 mile trip and now they want to charge me for the adapter, which ends up being $11.00.

Glad to finally have it home and away from the dealer.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Sux about the dealer, but where are the pix?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I have air bags for the truck if your interested.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my trailer plug . Kind of annoying over a 6 dollar item .

DLC

Reaction score
I feel your pain....

We went and looked at a new floor plan just to check it out at a Havasu dealer for a tri toon...

Wife liked what she saw and ... well, after some discussion, we ended up ordering up a new float last year, 2017, this was also in February, they were talking about mid April delivery... we went from a 2 stroke 250 ended up with a 350 verado!
The Actual delivery date was April 17, this date will always stick in my mind! I can’t Tell you what day we actually got it but April 17, was OUR DAY! 2 days after tax day!

Well at the Havasu boat show the Manufacturer REP said there will be a delay of a few weeks..... Now what the F does that mean? 2 weeks ? 3 weeks, A month? We actually took possession in August, 2nd week, and we were not happy! The delay and the deception took a lot of wind out of our sail..... and mind you we didn’t buy a sail boat, as this was supposed to be a happy experience for us, this was going to be our boat for many many years to come, we are thinking long term, 10-15 years, my wife and I have never owned a boat before! But we have talked about what we wanted and this was our opportunity to get what we wanted and also brand new...

Fast forward a year later, we have a brand new 2017 boat w/ about 20 hrs on it... things don’t move very fast in Havasu! and We didn’t expect that!

We really dig on our boat and just got the stereo installed about a month ago...

Give it some time, things will work out... there are a ton of other things besides actually getting the boat, shark hide, ceramic coating, stereo, don’t even get me started about Bimini tops.... we had to up grade a brand new custom top .....

Did I say I was a happy camper? Yeppers, WE Love our new boat! Makes using it so much better! And We have one hell of a story to tell!

Give it some time things will work out! Is all I can say

DonS

Reaction score
UPDATE.....

We take the boat out and everything works great, except it cavitates so badly out of the hole, you have to throttle back and trim to get it to accelerate. Good news, it does 48mph with four on board. We were stuck and leaving on a two week trip, so we had to live with the prop (14.5 x 13 three blade SS). While on our trip, I call the manufacturer (Avalon) and they tell me that they typically use a (15.75 x 15 SS three blade) with that engine and boat combo. I ask the dealer what's up. He tells me Yamaha was recommending the other prop. They exchange props with me and I try the 15.75. The boat comes out of the hole like a rocket and pulls hard. This was the right prop. The larger prop clocked out at 45 mph. Will get it tuned and see if I get the 3mph back and maybe a couple more.

We used the boat at Lake Shasta for a week and then a week at the Sacramento Delta. Everything worked well (other than the prop issue) but that didn't spoil our two weeks. With 10 on board, we were using 7-8 gallons an hour. Having a 58 gallon tank helped. The second week, we only had 4 on board, but was getting the same mileage. I think the prop was an issue. Curious to see what it gets on next big trip.

Water Girl

Reaction score
I had an issue with got water after i picked up a friend's boat
boat was filthy, trailer looked like 100 people with black shoes walked all over it
owner said they have the highest ratings
they placed blame on everyone else but themselves
He wanted me to bring the toon back
I told him to come and pick up the piece of shit
Glad I'm not the only one having issues with and now that I'm looking for one I'll pass on their arrogant attitude
Hi Steve - Please contact the owners of this Avalon; they are aware of where the mess came from. If you remember, this boat was at the Upholstery shop and they brought the boat back to our shop at GOT WATER MARINE in this condition so you could pick it up for your friends. You are blaming the wrong company.

Water Girl

Reaction score
UPDATE.....

We take the boat out and everything works great, except it cavitates so badly out of the hole, you have to throttle back and trim to get it to accelerate. Good news, it does 48mph with four on board. We were stuck and leaving on a two week trip, so we had to live with the prop (14.5 x 13 three blade SS). While on our trip, I call the manufacturer (Avalon) and they tell me that they typically use a (15.75 x 15 SS three blade) with that engine and boat combo. I ask the dealer what's up. He tells me Yamaha was recommending the other prop. They exchange props with me and I try the 15.75. The boat comes out of the hole like a rocket and pulls hard. This was the right prop. The larger prop clocked out at 45 mph. Will get it tuned and see if I get the 3mph back and maybe a couple more.

We used the boat at Lake Shasta for a week and then a week at the Sacramento Delta. Everything worked well (other than the prop issue) but that didn't spoil our two weeks. With 10 on board, we were using 7-8 gallons an hour. Having a 58 gallon tank helped. The second week, we only had 4 on board, but was getting the same mileage. I think the prop was an issue. Curious to see what it gets on next big trip.
Where did ya purchase the boat?

Water Girl

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if the boat was on the east coast, it ended up at YOUR business
If YOU were aware of where the mess came from YOU should have taken care of it instead of bragging about YOUR high ratings.
I'm blaming the company that did the FINAL delivery of an expensive boat.
Your only solution was to "just bring it back". Ok, then my time is worth nothing.
How about YOU "just come and clean it"
Stop making excuses.
Steve - we did offer to clean the boat at the house. The owner told us that was not necessary and was aware of the issue. You know the story.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ha, the guy that picked up the boat is mad and the owner is not? Then goes on a boat website to talk crap. Interesting. Maybe the owner should do the talking, not the guy with a trailer hitch