WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New boat 22 Vaughn

jstnoc

Reaction score
Purchased an 86 Vaughn 22 Vdrive that had been sitting for years. Slowly getting her put back together. All original build I might remove the windshields and add cav plate assembly once I get the boat on the water. Any information/input on a Vaughn Vdrive would be extremely welcomed.

jstnoc

Reaction score
DSC01999.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

jstnoc

Reaction score
Thank you. Very eager to get it on the water. The manufacturer tag says it weighs 4935 lbs dry so I am not expecting the boat to be fast but it should ride very nice.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I wonder how many of these were made v-drives. This is the first I've seen. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

jstnoc

Reaction score
I wonder how many of these were made v-drives. This is the first I've seen. Very cool.

Someone told me about 1 other VDRIVE setup as a family ski crusier.

Vector

Reaction score
Nice. Post some more pictures when you have them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I have never seen one before either? Interesting boat..

RD

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Congrats on the find! I've been working on a complete re-do on an 1985 22' Vaughn that I picked up in February. It was originally set-up as an outboard - I'm converting it to an I/O. It's gutted and I'd like to get a better idea of where/how to install the bulkheads under the dash area. Also - Google 22' Vaughn boats - there's some postings regarding some history on these boats on River Daves!
Thanks and look forward to more pics!!!

spectra81

Reaction score
Mike nice ride.Vaughn Boats were built in Paso Robles and I think he only made 12 to 15 boats and I think most were outboards.I was up at his shop on the way to Lake Nacimento to look at some motor parts and saw one or two boats. 22 Schiada copy I think Good luck Greg

tony

Reaction score
Hey mike your old rebuilt 22 schiada took it's first run last week!!The vaughn is a splash from a schiada 24 there where two people who splashed the 24rs one was vaughn the other name I can't remember but Howard bought that mold and made their own deck mold and called it the 22XL which then they cut the boat in half and used it to make another mold which is their bullet line [25-28] which Gene told me personally. The 24 SCHIADA is only 22'-8'' long.

fmo24

Reaction score
I believe the other one is a Hocking (sp) . There is one that has been running the catalina ski race for years

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I believe the other one is a Hocking (sp) . There is one that has been running the catalina ski race for years

The red one? I believe the Ooh Yaa! on this forum skis behind it. I think it's his dads.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

fmo24

Reaction score
The red one? I believe the Ooh Yaa! on this forum skis behind it. I think it's his dads.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Ya that's the one one. I pretty sure theirs is a Hocking

jstnoc

Reaction score
Hey mike your old rebuilt 22 schiada took it's first run last week!!The vaughn is a splash from a schiada 24 there where two people who splashed the 24rs one was vaughn the other name I can't remember but Howard bought that mold and made their own deck mold and called it the 22XL which then they cut the boat in half and used it to make another mold which is their bullet line [25-28] which Gene told me personally. The 24 SCHIADA is only 22'-8'' long.

Tony the 22 came out spectacular. I am glad it went to someone with the capability to put her back into prestine condition. That is a very nice boat, great layup and setup I hope to get a ride someday soon.

Thanks for the info on my new boat I have been watching your 24 build and the 2 boats have alot in common yet some differences. It seems my cockpit is a bit smaller than the schiada and of course no where near as gorgeous as your 24. Very very nice work Tony. Glad you are seeing it through to the end!!!

jstnoc

Reaction score
A few more pics torn down. Getting new tanks and all new fuel/water lines and interior touch ups/carpet.

CameraZOOM-20120630185252.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120630185203.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120630183353.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120630185407.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
This it going to be a very cool ride when your done :thumbsup

tony

Reaction score
Tony the 22 came out spectacular. I am glad it went to someone with the capability to put her back into prestine condition. That is a very nice boat, great layup and setup I hope to get a ride someday soon.

Thanks for the info on my new boat I have been watching your 24 build and the 2 boats have alot in common yet some differences. It seems my cockpit is a bit smaller than the schiada and of course no where near as gorgeous as your 24. Very very nice work Tony. Glad you are seeing it through to the end!!!
I think your going to be suprised how well that boat handles in the rough stuff Mike that boat is worth the effort to dial it in. Let me know how it run's when you get it wet?

dekman

Dekman
Reaction score
I've seen a Vaughan outboard for sale years ago...very cool hull. Interesting History. When you pull her out next time, post some whole hull side shots. Great project! I'm sure your itching to get her wet!!!!! :thumbsup

Vaughn888

V888
Reaction score
Hi, It was probably a boat that came out of my molds. I might know by the colors of the boat. You can contact me with any questions. They are still great boats. Feel free to send me a message. Vaughn

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hi, It was probably a boat that came out of my molds. I might know by the colors of the boat. You can contact me with any questions. They are still great boats. Feel free to send me a message. Vaughn

Vaughn welcome to RDP! Looking forward to hearing some of the history and knowledge on these boats.

RD

tony

Reaction score
I would like to here some history on these boat great looking boats?:thumbup:

sirbob

Reaction score
This will be a great project - classic with v drive

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I would like to here some history on these boat great looking boats?:thumbup:

22 Vaughn
There are so many stories that have gone around that I would love to straighten them out. I am Vaughn. I am a retired fireman and I was a boatbuilder. I built my own boats. They were not splashed from the 24' Schiada. Leonard Schiada sold the molds of the 24' Schiada to someone in Canada by the way. The boat had a completely different deck from a Schiada. I designed my own deck and it should be obvious that it did not look at all like the deck of the Schiada. Measurements were taken from a boat that was a 22' that had been one of the few Schiadas that had been built from the 24' mold which ultimately went to Canada. I started working on the molds in 1974. I produced the first one in 1979. Some of the changes I made were different lifting strakes as well as many others. Some boats had delta pads. Some did not. My boats would not have fit into their molds. I stopped production around 1990.
Someone posted they had heard I was booted from LA Boat Show. Not. Some loudmouth guy at the show kept saying my boat was splashed. He had a few too many drinks...He said, If I were you, Id leave! Of course, I stayed the entire show for two years in a row and also did the Marina Del Rey boat show. You cant flip out over hear say. Its just talk. He made these comments as I walked to my truck. Building boats so I found out draws out alot of people who think they know something when often they know nothing at all.
I might add that the 22' Schiada which was produced around 1974 was a much more shallow V. Then they started to produce a 20' catering to the circle races. The V on those boats was much more shallow. I have a photo which I might post onto the site of one that met up with a wave out of Marina Del Rey. I did a damage report on it for the insurance company. Anyway, feel free to ask anything you want. I dont check everyday but I will try to answer your questions. Roger Hocking claimed to have only produced two boats out of my molds and he paid only for the boats produced. So, who knows how many are out there? I just dont know!!

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?86276-22-Vaughn-Resto/page7

jstnoc

Reaction score
She floats! Doing my best to get her finished in the next few weeks for some water testing. Been eager to find out how this boat handles before I spend a ton of money on the aesthetics of the boat.

photo801.JPG

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the Vaughn that NorCalLmo was working on. It belongs to his friends Ken & Velma who are old school water ski racers. Ken raced, finished, and won his class at Catalina last year. I believe he is in his mid 70's.

Teague 7-20-2013 (7).jpg

Delta 7-20-2013 (11).jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I went out to a house in the San Fernando Valley (extreme end of Roscoe Blvd) back in 1983/1985 to look at one of your boats for a customer . I knew at the time you had a 'ski race outboard' in competition, (one may have even been in the garage) but we wanted to do a V-drive . The owner at the house had advertisements in the local papers claiming to "be the builder of these boats" and he would build to customer orders . I inspected the new bare hull on it's trailer, (took some measurements) and reported my findings to my customer . I did not review the VIN, as we were not at a point to make a purchase during my inspection . Did this person have anything to do with your boat business, or was he a 'third wheel' drumming up local sales ? Thanks for any reply .

jstnoc

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the Vaughn that NorCalLmo was working on. It belongs to his friends Ken & Velma who are old school water ski racers. Ken raced, finished, and won his class at Catalina last year. I believe he is in his mid 70's.

View attachment 391823

View attachment 391824

Thats awesome! His resto came out very nice. I would be extremely happy to get my boat looking as good as this one.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Plumbing is finished and came out pretty nice. :) Just wrapping up some wiring and new tank fills etc. then she should be on the water!!

IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0458.JPG

jstnoc

Reaction score
Got my new CMI headers in and dropped the boat off at IMCO for new dry tails. Relocated tailpipes to clear new cavitation plate assembly that will be installed.

New Image1.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2436.JPG

BUSTI

Reaction score
CMI's look great!

Is that a vent on the side of the boat? Seams like big side rollers would just push water in them. Keep the pictures coming. Great looking boat.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Thanks BUSTI. Yes those are vents which if I decide to regell in the future they will be deleted. Water line is pretty low on this boat so not too worried about getting much water coming through them.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Cool V-drive Mike. I love the front entry on the Vaughn/Schiada.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Thanks BUSTI. Yes those are vents which if I decide to regell in the future they will be deleted. Water line is pretty low on this boat so not too worried about getting much water coming through them.

If you find they are taking on water, and there is other ventilation for the engine, you could simply pull the vent and put a piece of white plastic behind it , leaving it cosmetically the same, but unable to take on water. I did that with the vents on my 20' Schiada since it no longer had an engine cover.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Just had the old exhaust and swim step hardware holes filled. Transom looks clean again :)

IMG_1801.JPG

tony

Reaction score
Looks really nice Mike! I'd like to ride in her one day...

jstnoc

Reaction score
Looks really nice Mike! I'd like to ride in her one day...
You are more than welcome anytime. Trying to make it out to Elsinore on New Years day. If not I will be getting her wet soon to dial in the carbs and then put the interior back in. Ive missed a few seasons but will have her river bound well before next summer.