WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New boat 22 Vaughn

jstnoc

Reaction score
Nice work! Love your build thread. When are you planning to get her wet again ? How long are your plates in the middle ?

Thanks Deangang! Shooting for April/May and leaving gel coat for next season. As AZGEO stated adding plates to a boat without plates is not cheap!! The plates at the keel measure 16 inches from the transom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
Thanks Deangang! Shooting for April/May and leaving gel coat for next season. As AZGEO stated adding plates to a boat without plates is not cheap!! The plates at the keel measure 16 inches from the transom.

Those plates are legit! Should really plow through the chop. There’s nothing about these boats that are cheap . I can only imagine what the new cav system is running you. I just put new plates on my 22 and did all the work myself and it was ugly on the wallet lol. You should be super stoked once you get her all dialed in . Look forward to more of your updates .

Last edited:

Boat Potato

Reaction score
Nice to see another Vaughn! Looks good. I have a 79 I/O Vaughn. Great riding boat. I get a lot of questions about it out on the water. 20161001_075407.jpg 20161001_075433.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Do you need pillow blocks? I have a set made for a 21 Schiada. Stainless. They are what Schiada uses on the new builds.
IMG_9676.JPG
IMG_9677.JPG

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have the Delron bushings also.

jstnoc

Reaction score
2018 went by quick! Back at it with these buckets getting finished then can start on laying out the dash and installing the steering.

IMG_5941.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Very Nice!!!!!! Funny how time goes by sooooo fast on these 'resto-jobs' LOL!!!! Lookin GREAT!!!!!! Are you going to keep it capped or are you going with a rub rail?

jstnoc

Reaction score
Very Nice!!!!!! Funny how time goes by sooooo fast on these 'resto-jobs' LOL!!!! Lookin GREAT!!!!!! Are you going to keep it capped or are you going with a rub rail?

We capped the transom and about 6 inches up the sides from the transom. The rest will have stainless rub rail.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Nice! We did 1" stainless all around (*PITA) making the bends at the bow and transom corners LOL!!!! If you have not already bought the rub rail - check out West Marine - they ship to 'your nearest' West Marine location!
Keep Posting Progress!!!

jstnoc

Reaction score
Making some progress !!
IMG_7470.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG

sw1

Reaction score
As I recall the Vaughn bottom has a nice sharp 'entry and keel', but no strakes down near that keel line . So the gross weight does not have a 'lifting strakes' to get the boat 'on top' .

I have tried to describe this same problem to "Mr Daytona", about his Dana 22', and "Mr Scapegoat" about his 20.5 Eliminator, in the past .

Similar to the Eliminator 20.5 that is a great jet ,but 'rolls to one side' as a V-drive . (without a large delta pad)

With the first set of strakes so high up the V-section, it's pushing 20% of the entire hull bottom THRU the water, rather than 'skimming across the top' of the water . I'm 'guestimating', 3800 square inches down to 1500 square inches of wetted surface area, but it is a lot of work .

Your Howard/Spectra has a more rounded keel, and those center shorter strakes, down low near the keel that lift the front end. When you get above 100 MPH then you are on the 'rounded tail' with no strakes/stability . That's where 'extending those strakes' will help your control . (re-balance too)

"At 7.5 degrees". IF it had 2 new strakes added, one on each side, half way between the keel and the original first strakes, ending about 3' from the transom, I would have the 'motor T-400' with the prop directly under the 'block web' between cylinders #2 and #4 . That would make that motor plate (aprox) 15" from the transom at it's bottom, not on top of the stringers . (transom angle)

IMO, this would make it run 'it's best' .

BUT, it's just my opinion, and the reason I did not build a V-drive Vaughn for my customer back in the 1980's . ..........

Have you done any V-drive mods on the Cole 20SS and Superhawk/Nighthawk? Are the measurement the same for the Cole's as listed above?

jstnoc

Reaction score
Finished up the motor plate adjustments, water pump, crank trigger ignition, custom pulleys alt bracket and fuel filter head mount. Used ASP out of Texas for the pulleys and would highly recommend them for any custom pulley.

Attachments

• Vaughn Motor.png
    Vaughn Motor.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 370

lenmann

Reaction score
Very nice work right there, look great!

What water pump are you running?

jstnoc

Reaction score
Some nice work being done by the guys at concept marine. I wanted to drop my steering wheel down a bit and they made a wedge bezel that came out very clean. Transom assembly is set just waiting for the plates from polishing to button up the cav plate assembly.
IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

motormonkey

Reaction score
Looks great and like the details.
What are you using for the steering rack setup? I think I like the push pull setup you have.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Looks great and like the details.
What are you using for the steering rack setup? I think I like the push pull setup you have.

This is the old rotary style Command 2. I had some brand new cables in storage.

sintax

Reaction score
Is this thing sitting in Johns shop??

We gotta work on getting this out of there so I can get mine in! I was just checking it out on monday trying to harass him to get started on my boat. :)

It looks like hes doing some good work on it though! I was blown away with the amount of dead rise that sucker has. Much deeper than i was expecting.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Is this thing sitting in Johns shop??

We gotta work on getting this out of there so I can get mine in! I was just checking it out on monday trying to harass him to get started on my boat. :)

It looks like hes doing some good work on it though! I was blown away with the amount of dead rise that sucker has. Much deeper than i was expecting.

A good lesson on patience but the result is worth the wait.

Should cut thru any water you can throw at it and stay fairly dry!

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
This is the old rotary style Command 2. I had some brand new cables in storage.

why didn’t U go Hyd steering would have been very easy to set up on that boat and looks like U fabed up a bunch of new hardware anyways ???

jstnoc

Reaction score
why didn’t U go Hyd steering would have been very easy to set up on that boat and looks like U fabed up a bunch of new hardware anyways ???

I priced it out and it would have been a lot more than what I’m into this plus these cables are brand new so I’ll get plenty of usage out of this system. Ram(s) helm post pump lines filter cooler mounts - it’s starts adding up quick.

jstnoc

Reaction score

Spent the money here! The boat did not have a cav plate setup when I bought it.
IMG_2962.JPG

jstnoc

Reaction score
Tanks came out nice powder coated a close match to transom gel! I used concept powder coating in Rancho Cucamonga. Stainless hard lines for fuel and bilge across transom. Ordered some full flow 90's for the fuel and oil filter heads look much cleaner than the standard 90's. The boat is wired and getting close to dropping the power in and starting the water lines and interior. I was really looking forward to Billy's at end of this month but damn this coronavirus.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_3458.jpg
    IMG_3458.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 494

lenmann

Reaction score
Tanks came out nice powder coated a close match to transom gel! I used concept powder coating in Rancho Cucamonga. Stainless hard lines for fuel and bilge across transom. Ordered some full flow 90's for the fuel and oil filter heads look much cleaner than the standard 90's. The boat is wired and getting close to dropping the power in and starting the water lines and interior. I was really looking forward to Billy's at end of this month but damn this coronavirus.

Man that's looking good! Where did you get the full flow 90's at? Not sure I have seen those before, but I like the idea.

jstnoc

Reaction score
www.autoplumb.com good guy quick shipping and stocks aeroflow fittings here in the US.

mbrown2

Reaction score
8yrs in the making....that is passion and commitment! Looking very clean!

sintax

Reaction score
nice looks like they're making some headway. I'll have to check it out on friday if this rain lets up. I need to drop off my engine / trans for John.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Are you going with a keyless ignition system (like new cars with a fob)?

Yes we are going push button start. There will be a hidden ignition keyed lock

jstnoc

Reaction score
nice looks like they're making some headway. I'll have to check it out on friday if this rain lets up. I need to drop off my engine / trans for John.

Do you have the clean rayson there? If so I tried to get my motor and trans in it and hooked it up to my truck. :)