WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New boat motor??

Chopperman

Reaction score
Took this out of one of my helicopters at work. I think it would make an excellent boat motor. General Electric CT-58, round about 1400 shp. image.jpg

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Just curious, do you have any idea what that weighs?

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Isn't that pretty light? Doesn't a big block weigh around 800#

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Isn't that pretty light? Doesn't a big block weigh around 800#

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

Depending on the heads you're probably looking at 600 lbs.

Thats the beauty of turbine. You gotta know how to work on them though :thumbsup

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Can you ship it to me?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Why not buy that Miss Budweiser hull and put the 2 together.......could be a match made in heaven :D

nowski

Reaction score
What make and model of copter does that engine come out of?

Director...
Reaction score
T55 might be a better choice

sent from an undisclosed location

Chopperman

Reaction score
Why not buy that Miss Budweiser hull and put the 2 together.......could be a match made in heaven :D

Paul, that would be pretty awesome, but I think it would be a bit underpowered. I think JBB is right on track with the T55. Bigger turbine, slightly more power and lots more torque. But I do think a "jet" boat would be awesome. If I had the cash I'd be all over that hydroplane!!

Last edited:

Chopperman

Reaction score
What make and model of copter does that engine come out of?

nowski, this engine is used in various configurations and aircraft. This particular engine came out of a Sikorsky S-61N that we have over in Afghanistan. They are pretty good engines. Very forgiving and can take a pretty fair amount of abuse.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Fuck yeah!! Get another one and ill pm u my address. :D. My dream boat will be turbine equipped. These would be just fine. T55's would be better though. :D

Chopperman

Reaction score
Lol!! hell ya!! I wish they were mine to do what I want with. Unfortunately I don't own them :( I think you can get one from Vector or Heli-One for anywhere between one hundred to two hundred grand depending on component time.

Cajun

Reaction score
Lol!! hell ya!! I wish they were mine to do what I want with. Unfortunately I don't own them :( I think you can get one from Vector or Heli-One for anywhere between one hundred to two hundred grand depending on component time.

Well, if they'd like to loan one out for a PR type operation, I'd be glad to drop it in my 21 Daytona for a year. ;)

Chopperman

Reaction score
Well, if they'd like to loan one out for a PR type operation, I'd be glad to drop it in my 21 Daytona for a year. ;)

Sounds like a good idea to me. I might have to look into that!!

Director...
Reaction score
T55 is a big and round engine. 4900 SHP but your gonna need a longer boat, a really good wiring guy and a lot more fuel tank.....

sent from an undisclosed location

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381787002281.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381787002281.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21

nowski

Reaction score
Hey Chopperman thanks for posting the pics of the Sikorsky where the General Electric CT-58 resides. I did some work in the past on the rescue hoist that may be used on that helicopter. The name plate would read Lucas Aerospace or Goodrich Aerospace. I use to also work for UTC which is a conglomerate with Sikorsky, Pratt & Whitney and a few others. Looks like a fun job and keep em flying...

Last edited:

Chopperman

Reaction score
Hey Chopperman thanks for posting the pics of the Sikorsky where the General Electric CT-58 resides. I did some work in the past on the rescue hoist that may be used on that helicopter. The name plate would read Lucas Aerospace or Goodrich Aerospace. I use to also work for UTC which is a conglomerate with Sikorsky, Pratt & Whitney and a few others. Looks like a fun job and keep em flying...

Ya, the Coast Guard and Navy used those rescue hoists on their version of the S-61 (H-3) and there are some countries that use hoists on some Search And Rescue (SAR) birds made by Sikorsky and Agusta Westland. We however don't have them on any of our helicopters as we are a FAA Part 135 air carrier, (basically an on demand airline) and not certified (the aircraft) to perform any functions that would require a hoist. It is an interesting job and it keeps me on my toes no doubt LOL!! You're welcome for the pics. Got tons more if anybody wants to see what Afghanistan is like, or the S-61.

Last edited: