WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

new boat / prop package question

sirbob

Reaction score
I just tested my new Ultra 26 deck - the motor is a 502HO (new motor with CARB approval and cat converters) and we ran a stock Bravo 24 prop.

We saw a top speed of 67 on GPS Livorsi speedo @ 5,000 RPMs. I put about 45 min - 1 hr on the motor and only did a couple of speed passes as the motor is brand new - most of the time that day was idling or 25 MPH cruising.

I was happy with the speed but not the RPM - this was the very first time in the water and the motor is obviously not broken in and we have no tabs or trim other than the drive up / down.

What would anybody suggest I try for props and sizes - my last Ultra 26 had a 496HO and ran a 26 prop and we would get 73 top speed and about 5300 RPM

I want more RPM - I am hoping that brings a little more speed - it seems like I'm not getting all I can out of this motor

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I just tested my new Ultra 26 deck - the motor is a 502HO (new motor with CARB approval and cat converters) and we ran a stock Bravo 24 prop.

We saw a top speed of 67 on GPS Livorsi speedo @ 5,000 RPMs. I put about 45 min - 1 hr on the motor and only did a couple of speed passes as the motor is brand new - most of the time that day was idling or 25 MPH cruising.

I was happy with the speed but not the RPM - this was the very first time in the water and the motor is obviously not broken in and we have no tabs or trim other than the drive up / down.

What would anybody suggest I try for props and sizes - my last Ultra 26 had a 496HO and ran a 26 prop and we would get 73 top speed and about 5300 RPM

I want more RPM - I am hoping that brings a little more speed - it seems like I'm not getting all I can out of this motor

I would not change a thing until the motor has 10 hours on it. Merc might have a lower rev limiter built in until break in is over.;):grumble:

Singleton

Reaction score
Jason tried my 26 and got the RPM's up and that brought a better top speed. I am thinking a labbed 26 might work best for you. I run a labbed 26 on mine and it is great. I will work with Jason to test that setup at Desert Storm.

sirbob

Reaction score
Jason tried my 26 and got the RPM's up and that brought a better top speed. I am thinking a labbed 26 might work best for you. I run a labbed 26 on mine and it is great. I will work with Jason to test that setup at Desert Storm.

Keep me in the loop on how it works - I'll be there that weekend also and I'd love to meet up and compare prop info...

sirbob

Reaction score
I would not change a thing until the motor has 10 hours on it. Merc might have a lower rev limiter built in until break in is over.;):grumble:

Anybody heard that merc has built in rev limiter - I'd not heard that before...

Singleton

Reaction score
Anybody heard that merc has built in rev limiter - I'd not heard that before...

Built in yes - but lower number for first 10 hours no. Just have to follow Merc guidelines for operating in first few hours.

CuttingEdgePropellers

Reaction score

That Motor will loosen up after a few hours and you may very well pick up that 200 RPM you're looking for.
Feel free to give me a call after that and we can discuss further optons for that setup. We'll be at Desert storm for the street party so stop by and say hello!
My Bets,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900
Gi

Singleton

Reaction score
That Motor will loosen up after a few hours and you may very well pick up that 200 RPM you're looking for.
Feel free to give me a call after that and we can discuss further optons for that setup. We'll be at Desert storm for the street party so stop by and say hello!
My Bets,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900
Gi

I will be stopping by to chat. Will you be around Saturday? I need to run my boat to get accurate numbers on Friday then what to figure out what prop would be best for running vs having the kids on wakeboard / tube.

CuttingEdgePropellers

Reaction score
No, I will be leaving after the street party however I'm available by phone 7 days @ 949-701-0900
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900