WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New boat trailer build

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Good morning inmates. I'm in search of a new boat trailer. Long story short the trailer is original to the boat which is a 94 eliminator eagle 250. For me to go boating it's usually a 4 hour drive and the roads I have to travel are junk. The trailer has rust issues and as of now I have found one spot on a main beam that has rusted completely through About 1" wide and 2" long. There are other areas that are questionable as well. I have also been chasing cracked welds. Im just tired of chasing problems and feel that just biting the bullet and getting a new trailer is going to be my most practical decision.

I have looked at a extreme, shadow, and adrenaline trailers in Havasu and I'm impressed with what I see. I have also looked into aluminum trailers with pacific trailers in CA and also kokapelli trailers in AZ.

First and foremost I'm not looking for anything over the top just basic and well built.

What are your thoughts on any shop I listed? Pros and cons between aluminum and steel.

I also noticed that Adrenaline offers fiberglass repair. I need some things addressed on my gel coat as well so them being a one stop shop makes them enticing. Anyone have experience with their fiberglass repair?

Also if anyone has a lead on a used 25' eliminator eagle trailer that is in good condition I am interested. Thanks for your time.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
What’s your budget?
Reasonable... Im thinking 10k max. But Id really like to be between 5-8k for a new build.

I know material costs is going to be the biggest variable in all this... On some other forums guys had aluminum boat trailers that were really nice built for 6k last year. I don't even know if that's still attainable.

Like I said I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles just looking for a well built trailer that can hold up to the highway function as needed when I get to where I'm going.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your reply.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I had Adrenaline build me a new trailer for my 26 cat 5 years ago. Same thing, not fancy no bells, no whistles, no disco lights, no drive guard yada yada. It was just under 9 grand then, which I didn't think was bad based on Extreme's cost for a refurb. Build quality is excellent. Trailer has less than 100 miles since it was built HAHA.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I would talk to Kokopelli and Pacific and get quotes. I’ve had a lot of boats and trailers in the last 40 years and while I have never had an off the chart baller trailer like many opt for my first and only aluminum trailer experience was with my 2950 Laveycraft that I sold last October and I loved that aluminum trailer. Very heavy duty, light, big aluminum toolboxes triple oil bath hubs/axles, light and towed amazing. I doubt I will ever purchase anything but aluminum again if given the opportunity. After seeing Finnegan‘s trailer for his Daytona I even thought about putting one under my Schiada (Not trip axle🤣) at some point just to be different and the fact that I tow a long distance as well. Nowadays with the price of fuel to you even cut down on towing weight. I also liked the option of having an easily splash-able trailer for salt water. Not that i ever did. Just always wanted too. All tje steel components were SS or galv. Just my opinion.

Singleton

Reaction score
I had Adrenaline repaint my trailer in 2014 and while that was being done had the sponsons regelled.
Trailer turned out great. Gel work had to be redone. I was pissed at the quality of the work, BUT once Wayne saw it, it was resolved within a week. So I give them credit for agreeing the gel work was not done right and getting it resolved quickly.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Reasonable... Im thinking 10k max. But Id really like to be between 5-8k for a new build.

I know material costs is going to be the biggest variable in all this... On some other forums guys had aluminum boat trailers that were really nice built for 6k last year. I don't even know if that's still attainable.

Like I said I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles just looking for a well built trailer that can hold up to the highway function as needed when I get to where I'm going.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your reply.
Custom steel is going to be more than that for your boat. I'd look at aluminum, I didn't have much choice on current trailer...but I'd never buy steel if could avoid it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm going to be odd man out on this one...which tends to be my norm. I'd vote for steel if the boat is a fresh water deal. My reasoning is ease of repair further down the road. Basically, knowing what I've had to repair for people here, steel keeps more doors open. Now, it very well could be the particular owners, or age of trailers in combination...

Either way, a new trailer will probably last 25 years, like the first one has. I would think longer, given the fact that if you have it built, you'll take care of it better than anyone else will.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I follow this guy on IG that appears to do some badass trailer work. I haven't seen any in person but the pics look really good. He is in Pomona, might be worth a call. Sorry I don't have a number

IG @madskillzfab His name is Nick Valore

I'm getting close to needing a refurb on mine as well so post up your results

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I follow this guy on IG that appears to do some badass trailer work. I haven't seen any in person but the pics look really good. He is in Pomona, might be worth a call. Sorry I don't have a number

IG @madskillzfab His name is Nick Valore

I'm getting close to needing a refurb on mine as well so post up your results
I thought he may have done a dolly trailer for an inmate?

ChrisV

Reaction score
Hit up madskillzfab. Does great work! But for a trailer your size it's gonna be more than 10k imo.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Call Shadow, for the nothing special just clean east and dependable they’d be my pick. However if doing custom i don’t think anyone compares to Adrenaline these days.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Yeah I don't plan on making a statement with my boat trailer and it's strictly a fresh water boat. Just want it to be clean and functional. At this point the only reason I'm opposed to a steel trailer is because of the cost of steel. It seems to be keeping the overall cost high.

I do like the fact with an aluminum I-beam lines and wires are exposed somewhere if maintenance needs to be addressed. Not sure if c-channel steel on a boat trailer is still a thing.

Also if anyone has recommendations for a gel coat repair shop I'll take those too.

Thank you the input and keep it coming please I appreciate the insight from all spectrums.

Backlash

Reaction score
Check on Craigslist in L.A. Once in a blue moon, you might see a larger aluminum trailer for sale for a reasonable price. Majority of the parts are bolt-together, so you would be able to adjust the trailer to fit your needs, even if it wasn't originally built for your exact hull. Just a thought.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Bummer, but I am no help!… I would like an aluminum trailer for the weight savings myself if it prices out reasonable.

Sherpa

Reaction score
if you think steel is expensive, have you looked at aluminum? you'll be surprized........ Steel is WAY up.....

For a 25 foot boat, which may weigh in around 5-6k, then trailer, axles, tires/wheels, bunks, lights, hitch, etc, I think it would be into 12-14k.

but then I overbuild everything..... what does your current trailer look like?

--Sherpa

ChrisV

Reaction score
Or just have shadow trailers refurb your trailer. It's more of the labor that makes it expensive not price for materials imo.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Whatever you get you are going to want torsion axles and the best hubs you can get. Finally you want to to pick a wheel that is the most common trailer tire size to make getting replacements in far off places easier. Finally top that off with the highest quality load range rated trailer tires.

If you have good axles, hubs and tires you will have many happy miles or trailering.

If you can swing it and your tow vehicle supports it, have the trailer brakes be electric over hydraulic, and preferably brakes on all axles. Surge sucks.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I thought he may have done a dolly trailer for an inmate?

Yup. That would be me.

@Nanu/Nanu Nick will build you anything you want. From a basic trailer to anything wild. I'll message you his info.

A typical river/lake boat spends 95% of it's life on a trailer. So in my opinion, the trailer should be well built and functional first. But badass too.

Here is what he did for me: (sorry for all the pics. I take a lot of them. lol)

During the build:

IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG

Boat fittment:

IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG

Final rigging:

IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG

All done. Happy customer:

IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
if you think steel is expensive, have you looked at aluminum? you'll be surprized........ Steel is WAY up.....

For a 25 foot boat, which may weigh in around 5-6k, then trailer, axles, tires/wheels, bunks, lights, hitch, etc, I think it would be into 12-14k.

but then I overbuild everything..... what does your current trailer look like?

--Sherpa
KIMG0116.jpg

Haha golly I had to read that like 100 times to figure out what you were trying to say in your opening statement. Im a lineman so naturally I'm pretty dumb.

Yes I've read a build thread on a Pacific trailer and talked with and owner of a kokopelli aluminum trailer both trailers for 22' center console sport fishing boats. They were both in at around 6k. I know that's 2021 prices but if they're still close to that I like it. Can't imagine a 25' is going to be much higher than a 22'.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I
Whatever you get you are going to want torsion axles and the best hubs you can get. Finally you want to to pick a wheel that is the most common trailer tire size to make getting replacements in far off places easier. Finally top that off with the highest quality load range rated trailer tires.

If you have good axles, hubs and tires you will have many happy miles or trailering.

If you can swing it and your tow vehicle supports it, have the trailer brakes be electric over hydraulic, and preferably brakes on all axles. Surge sucks.
You hit the nail on the head... Good axles hubs and tires.

The one option like you said I would swing for is the electric/hydro.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Or just have shadow trailers refurb your trailer. It's more of the labor that makes it expensive not price for materials imo.
Honestly I thought about it but my main beams/frame rails don't sound the healthiest and I don't see the point of cutting and splicing those. Another thing is although I haven't seen a number but everyone that has done a trailer refurbish thread starts off by saying I'm taking this diy route because I can't believe what the trailer company wants.

Haha I don't know... This option still isn't off the table though.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Honestly I thought about it but my main beams/frame rails don't sound the healthiest and I don't see the point of cutting and splicing those. Another thing is although I haven't seen a number but everyone that has done a trailer refurbish thread starts off by saying I'm taking this diy route because I can't believe what the trailer company wants.

Haha I don't know... This option still isn't off the table though.

I did mine with some some help from a couple of friends. I think mine turned out pretty good. And it made the trip from komifornia to ky with nothing bit a blow out. Yes it fucked a fender but I will fix that at some point.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I

You hit the nail on the head... Good axles hubs and tires.

The one option like you said I would swing for is the electric/hydro.

I don’t think your boat is heavy enough to warrant elec/over hydro. You should be fine with a straight electric disc/drum brakes. Electric over hydro is for 10k plus rigs if my memory serves me well. Unless you are doing a conversion and trying to reuse your hydros…. Even then I would ditch the hydros and replace them with straight electric.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I don’t think your boat is heavy enough to warrant elec/over hydro. You should be fine with a straight electric disc/drum brakes. Electric over hydro is for 10k plus rigs if my memory serves me well. Unless you are doing a conversion and trying to reuse your hydros…. Even then I would ditch the hydros and replace them with straight electric.
Haha that things like pulling a freight train with the way Tina packs the coolers and food bins. Haha but I definitely don't starve when we camp.

Honestly I appreciate the insight I would really like electric brakes in some version. I put a call into Kokopelli trailers yesterday for a quote. I don't know what he offers but I sure as heck want to get away from surge brakes.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Haha that things like pulling a freight train with the way Tina packs the coolers and food bins. Haha but I definitely don't starve when we camp.

Honestly I appreciate the insight I would really like electric brakes in some version. I put a call into Kokopelli trailers yesterday for a quote. I don't know what he offers but I sure as heck want to get away from surge brakes.

agreed.. that's why I said to avoid electric over hydraulic if you can. Most of the problems with hydraulic brakes still exist with electric over hydraulic. Especially in boat trailers where you dip the brakes and brake lines into the water. At the Wahweep ramp my electric over hydraulic set up almost goes completely under water including the electric pump mounted on the end of the tongue close to the hitch. Mine is a conversion. My Electric/Hydrolic work much better than all hydro, but I have six wheels and full electric conversion was pretty expensive. I still bet you are under 10K with all your gear. A pair of 4500 lbs axle puts you at 9K regardless. You probably have a pair of 3500lbs now....

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
So Uriah with kokopelli trailers sent me over a quote last night. As of now I'm @ $8100 with tax included.

This is for a raw color aluminum I-beam bolt together trailer. 4 disc surge brakes stand on diamond plated fenders and 5 upgraded mag wheels. Winch and jack plate are mechanical. Hubs and axles come with a 5 year warranty. Trailer frame is lifetime warranty. Torsion axles, led lights and pole guides.

As of now he has a 8-10 week lead time.

I think that's pretty reasonable.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On the trailer surge brakes, do manufacturers offer stainless tubing? There may be some DOT regs that won't allow it, don't know.