WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Boat Which Engine

HPBoats83

Reaction score
In a brand new 29 Deep-V, what is my best option for an engine? Do I just have the factory install a brand new 496HO? Do I look into an Ilmor package or a teague package or are they going to be significantly more money then the HO? Or do I have the boat builder give me a "engine allowance" and have him buy me a slightly used 525 on OSO classified? I have been told in this particular boat a single HO will put it at 63-65. I would like to go faster out of the gate but don't have a huge budget, so maybe just stick with a 496HO and do something like a Raylar kit after waranty! What would you do?

new2cats

Reaction score
In a brand new 29 Deep-V, what is my best option for an engine? Do I just have the factory install a brand new 496HO? Do I look into an Ilmor package or a teague package or are they going to be significantly more money then the HO? Or do I have the boat builder give me a "engine allowance" and have him buy me a slightly used 525 on OSO classified? I have been told in this particular boat a single HO will put it at 63-65. I would like to go faster out of the gate but don't have a huge budget, so maybe just stick with a 496HO and do something like a Raylar kit after warranty! What would you do?

OK, this is just opinion and you asked......the budget is significant with Ilmor or any Teague package....just a quick guess that an Ilmor over a single HO would be $35K plus bigger dirve..$40K more??? Teague similar in 800HP......we love 525s, they run hard and last forever.....not sure which boat but a 29 single with an HO will suck..my buddy had a 29 Commander with an HO and HATED his boat!!!! Aftermarket sh*t is unreliable and costly.....Raylar has a pretty good reputation but figure $20K plus to do it right.....get a 525..ask the builder to call Mercury (Kevin) and see if they have any "pacemaker" 525s..they are factory restored/rebuilt or warranty returns....certified by Mercury and about $9-10K less than new!!!!!

If you wanna blow dough later, the 525 can be Whipple-charged pretty easily (call Teague or TPI).....do not do the HO in a single 29...you will regret it; scrape the pennies, beg the wife, call the banker...get 525 or bigger.

NOW, if you can find the cash...Ilmor 710 (400 pounds lighter than 525; great for planing) with Teague platinum or Imco SC!!!!

my .04 cents!!!!!

TrojanDan

Reaction score
.....do not do the HO in a single 29...you will regret it; scrape the pennies, beg the wife, call the banker...get 525 or bigger.

Those are pretty harsh words from someone who never owned a 29 v-hull with an HO. :confused:

I happen to have a 29' Magic Wizard with an 496HO. Grant it my boat cost less than your bimini top, but I have no regrets with the set up. It hits 60 or so on a good day with 1 gallon of gas in it headed down current, but hell, I still get anywhere on the lake in decent time. The HO has been bullet proof in the 417 hours that are on it. I service it every year religiously and it takes good care of me in return. If I ever wanted to upgrade, a used 525 would fit the bill nicely though. I just like spending my money on other things besides depreciating assets. :cool:

kilrtoy

Banned
Reaction score
do not do the HO in a single 29...you will regret it; scrape the pennies, beg the wife, call the banker...get 525 or bigger.

my .04 cents!!!!!

AND this coming from a guy who put 525's in a 29DCB and said another aftermarket product would be good....
BOTTOM LINE
You never hear anyone say
I SHOULD HAVE PUT A SMALLER ENGINE IN IT.........
But there are hundreds, if not thousands that say I wanna go faster.....
PLEASE HELP.
Go big or go home....
spend the extrea money you will not regret it,
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
you will regret going slow.......

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I agree, I will always want to go faster! I am already pushing pretty hard to get into the boat the way it sits, so adding another 20,000 to upgrade to a 525 isn't possible.

kilrtoy

Banned
Reaction score
You looking at a Sleek or a Magic. I think you are, if I am correct.
TROJAN DAN will give you the straight shot......
55mph with an ho and a normalload is more likely correct

HPBoats83

Reaction score
You looking at a Sleek or a Magic. I think you are, if I am correct.
TROJAN DAN will give you the straight shot......
55mph with an ho and a normalload is more likely correct

I was looking at a few boats from sleek and magic but not for this boat, how did you know? :confused: I'm thinking at this point of doing a used 525!

kilrtoy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking at the 29 Shockwave.

DILLIGAF has a 06 that is sick for 80K with a 525...
its a steal and I know for a fact that boat is extremely well taken care of.....

I love this boat and was gonna build one with twin 575's.......
Albeit I lost and the wife bought the boat we have instead......
That is the best 28-30 on the market....

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
OK, this is just opinion and you asked......the budget is significant with Ilmor or any Teague package....just a quick guess that an Ilmor over a single HO would be $35K plus bigger dirve..$40K more??? Teague similar in 800HP......we love 525s, they run hard and last forever.....not sure which boat but a 29 single with an HO will suck..my buddy had a 29 Commander with an HO and HATED his boat!!!! Aftermarket sh*t is unreliable and costly.....Raylar has a pretty good reputation but figure $20K plus to do it right.....get a 525..ask the builder to call Mercury (Kevin) and see if they have any "pacemaker" 525s..they are factory restored/rebuilt or warranty returns....certified by Mercury and about $9-10K less than new!!!!!

If you wanna blow dough later, the 525 can be Whipple-charged pretty easily (call Teague or TPI).....do not do the HO in a single 29...you will regret it; scrape the pennies, beg the wife, call the banker...get 525 or bigger.

NOW, if you can find the cash...Ilmor 710 (400 pounds lighter than 525; great for planing) with Teague platinum or Imco SC!!!!

my .04 cents!!!!!

I would have to disagree with you on this. Teague's packages although pricey are very turnkey and reliable as well as Gary Taylor's and you will get MANY hours out of them if treated right and serviced properly.

Mike.

kilrtoy

Banned
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with you on this. Teague's packages although pricey are very turnkey and reliable as well as Gary Taylor's and you will get MANY hours out of them if treated right and serviced properly.

Mike.

I have to disagree with you , THEY ARE NOT AFTER MARKET....
Aftermarket is whipple, boostpowermarine and raylar.....

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I think doing this Mercury HP525 EFI - River Dave's Place
would be my best bet if I was able to get the dealer to work with me on something like this motor. The nice thing about using the dealer is I can get out of my boat (which I am right side up on) but nobody wants it.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
how about DOUBLE the Hp.
BBC Alum. 632ci Motor - River Dave's Place
of course you'd have to pay for plumbing still and engine accessories
i also have a reputable builder who was in on the design of this motor who'd love to build it at a VERY reasonable rate,too.
ok, sorry for the blatant spam

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
In a brand new 29 Deep-V, what is my best option for an engine? Do I just have the factory install a brand new 496HO? Do I look into an Ilmor package or a teague package or are they going to be significantly more money then the HO? Or do I have the boat builder give me a "engine allowance" and have him buy me a slightly used 525 on OSO classified? I have been told in this particular boat a single HO will put it at 63-65. I would like to go faster out of the gate but don't have a huge budget, so maybe just stick with a 496HO and do something like a Raylar kit after waranty! What would you do?

I have a 29 Laveycraft Nuera which I am currently selling. I have an Eickert 540/850hp motor and IMCO Extreme drive. It has run perfectly for 3 seaons not with no problems at all. What I like about the bigger high hp motors are that I can run 70mph at 4000rpm all day and not strain the motor, drive or gas tank at all. Then when I feel like it, I can bump it up to 90 at 5000 rpm or low 100's on the top end. In a big boat like you are buying, you will get bored very quickly with a 496 or 525. The Ilmores are also to small only 505 ci and no low end torque to get you moving. You will hit 70-73mph but this will be at the top end where you are straining the motor if you run there for long periods. I would recommend a Teague or TPI motor or an Eickert blower motor also. if you go with a reputable builder, you will get 100's of trouble free hours out of a well built blower motor.

new2cats

Reaction score
Those are pretty harsh words from someone who never owned a 29 v-hull with an HO. :confused:

I happen to have a 29' Magic Wizard with an 496HO. Grant it my boat cost less than your bimini top, but I have no regrets with the set up. It hits 60 or so on a good day with 1 gallon of gas in it headed down current, but hell, I still get anywhere on the lake in decent time. The HO has been bullet proof in the 417 hours that are on it. I service it every year religiously and it takes good care of me in return. If I ever wanted to upgrade, a used 525 would fit the bill nicely though. I just like spending my money on other things besides depreciating assets. :cool:

Agreed but I mentioned that 2 of my best buddies had 29 Vs with HOs they are both "not thrilled" with the overall performance....their Commander 29s are heavy hulls with older bottom designs AND we all know the running surface has everything to do with the performance.

You know opinions..they are like A$$holes and, well, you know the rest!;)

new2cats

Reaction score

Mike.

I agree; just to clarify Mike, I meant "aftermarket upgrades to an HO"...I should have kept typing....did not mean a good performance built motor from Bob or Gary..they are the sh*t if you have the coin!!!

new2cats

Reaction score
AND this coming from a guy who put 525's in a 29DCB and said another aftermarket product would be good....
BOTTOM LINE
You never hear anyone say
I SHOULD HAVE PUT A SMALLER ENGINE IN IT.........
But there are hundreds, if not thousands that say I wanna go faster.....
PLEASE HELP.
Go big or go home....
spend the extrea money you will not regret it,
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
you will regret going slow.......

Big difference between twin 525s putting out over 1050 HP in an F-29 (very nice upper-middle performance range) and a single HO putting out 420-430 in a 29' V (lower-end performance range) ......and money was definitely a huge factor in our decision......not desires!!!;)

When you want to invest in my new motor package...just let me know!!!:p

Not So Fast

Reaction score
As one who had a HOand now has gone thru the change over, all I can say is "Build it once", much cheaper!! Not that there is anything wrong with the 496 but in a boat that size it will be sort of lackluster imo and I said the same thing, it doesnt matter BUT it will. :cool:NSF

DAB

Reaction score
I think doing this http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2696
would be my best bet if I was able to get the dealer to work with me on something like this motor. The nice thing about using the dealer is I can get out of my boat (which I am right side up on) but nobody wants it.
I didn't see if that included the drive, if not when it's all said and done you'll only be about 6K within a brand new setup. What is your current boat that you're trying to get rid of?

new2cats

Reaction score
As one who had a HOand now has gone thru the change over, all I can say is "Build it once", much cheaper!! Not that there is anything wrong with the 496 but in a boat that size it will be sort of lackluster imo and I said the same thing, it doesnt matter BUT it will. :cool:NSF

Well stated.....best post in this thread so far!!!

DAB

Reaction score
Well stated.....best post in this thread so far!!!
If was a great post, but did you see the post on page one that said "I'm pushing real hard to get into this boat and the extra 20K" comment? Based on quick numbers he's looking at approx $150.00 more per month, affording the extra 150 and qualifying for the extra $20K are two different things and maybe that's the issue..who know. But one should always get maximum power on what you can afford...

HPBoats83

Reaction score
If was a great post, but did you see the post on page one that said "I'm pushing real hard to get into this boat and the extra 20K" comment? Based on quick numbers he's looking at approx $150.00 more per month, affording the extra 150 and qualifying for the extra $20K are two different things and maybe that's the issue..who know. But one should always get maximum power on what you can afford...

EXACTLY, thanks for bringing this thread back to the original intent of my dilema. Maybe I will just postpone getting this boat until I can afford to get into it with the power that would make me happy for a long time. :confused:

DAB

Reaction score
EXACTLY, thanks for bringing this thread back to the original intent of my dilema. Maybe I will just postpone getting this boat until I can afford to get into it with the power that would make me happy for a long time. :confused:
Well, if your saving for a boat/MOTOR combo that you'll be happy with for a LONG TIME... if you're like alot of us, it's always bigger, faster, or I should've gone with twin Mag's, or HO's, then it'll be 525's... j/k. Bottom line, do what you're comfortable with and can AFFORD.. and f' everyone else...

stoker22405

Reaction score
Buy what you can afford.....
A nice reliable...comfortable boat that does 60 is better then siting on the beach looking at all the boats going by.....

Deano

Reaction score
I would work something out with Dilligaf. Maybe buy his for alittle more and put a whipple on it. You can NEVER have too much hp. The only question is reliability and cost. I HATED being wide open only to be at a cruising speed. It's really nice to cruise at around 65-70 and have some more juice when you need it. It's a whole different "relaxed" feeling. I would buy a cheaper boat with bigger horsepower if I couldn't afford it. Go big on the hp no matter what!!

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I'm not going to buy something like a 25 with a 525. Too small of a boat. My birthday is on the 5th of July (right after 4th of July) and I love going to havasu that weekend. With so many boat out there that weekend, my 24 just beats the crap out of us or I have to drive like a crazy person and scare everybody in the boat. Either I am going to keep my boat (which runs great and has never left me stranded) or buy a 28+ foot boat.

Deano

Reaction score
Well, you could go with the boat you want and scape together more money later to throw at the engine. I did it. It was costly. I just hate to see guys not get the performance they want. Everyone I know has been lied to by manufacturers on speed. They buy the boat and are less than happy when I blow by them going up river at the speed they where told they would be at. Some people are happy being wide open at 55-65. Maybe you are one of them. Everyone I know isn't. The first week out they are looking for more. It sucks for them, the same way it did and does for me.
I still bend the sticks in my boat after throwing another 9G at the engine. It's a sickness I guess..good luck.

Deano

Reaction score

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Have you looked at or seen Dillagafs? I believe its a 29 Shockwave "V" with a 525 and from reading what you want it would be perfect and the price is pretty fair IMO. Should run in the middle to high 70'sMPH which isnt terribly fast (ask me how I know:D) but its respectable and the Shockwave is a good boat. Speed is like TV's and Tits, you'll want bigger sooner or later ;) Good luck. NSF PS oh I forgot that a friend of mine wants to sell his 30 Magic "V" with a Ilmor/Imco setup, he bought it last year. I dont know the particulars but I could find out if you want, PM me:hmm

Reactions: DBO

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Have you looked at or seen Dillagafs? I believe its a 29 Shockwave "V" with a 525 and from reading what you want it would be perfect and the price is pretty fair IMO. Should run in the middle to high 70'sMPH which isnt terribly fast (ask me how I know:D) but its respectable and the Shockwave is a good boat. Speed is like TV's and Tits, you'll want bigger sooner or later ;) Good luck. NSF PS oh I forgot that a friend of mine wants to sell his 30 Magic "V" with a Ilmor/Imco setup, he bought it last year. I dont know the particulars but I could find out if you want, PM me:hmm

Yeah but it only cost me $6,500 to get my girl DD's! :p:p I am going to go talk to the dealer right now and see what we can work out.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I agree; just to clarify Mike, I meant "aftermarket upgrades to an HO"...I should have kept typing....did not mean a good performance built motor from Bob or Gary..they are the sh*t if you have the coin!!!

I am picking up what you are throwing down. I figured that after I read it more.

26LAVEY525

Reaction score
I was right where you are 2 years ago when I bought my boat, I just couldn't see paying 20k more for the blue motor but I did. You have to look at the other things you get with the 20k steering, and the headers. Also I think that most boat builders price the HO with the Bravo 1X drive, and if you get the 525 you get the Bravo 1 XR.

Later I drove the same boat as mine with an HO, and it was a pig getting on plane when it's 110 degrees, loaded with people and fuel it really lagged. In my opinion the $$$ were well spent.

BajaMike

Reaction score
DILLIGAF has a 06 that is sick for 80K with a 525...
its a steal and I know for a fact that boat is extremely well taken care of.....

I love this boat and was gonna build one with twin 575's.......
Albeit I lost and the wife bought the boat we have instead......
That is the best 28-30 on the market....

Yea, I agree......Look at Tom's boat or at least talk to him about the performance with the 525 on the 29' Shockwave.

Tom really babys his stuff......and it runs really well....and it has a ton of very expensive options. I'm the guy in the blue hat in the second picture. If I could afford it right now, I would buy this boat in a second.........

//http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=1791

:hmm

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have the HO and am very happy with it. But, I have a much smaller (24') boat that is light to begin with. A 29 with an HO will be fine if you dont want to do 100 MPH. Blue motors are reliable as well and dont need the necessary rebuilds like blower motors do.

kilrtoy

Banned
Reaction score
I have the HO and am very happy with it. But, I have a much smaller (24') boat that is light to begin with. A 29 with an HO will be fine if you dont want to do 100 MPH. Blue motors are reliable as well and dont need the necessary rebuilds like blower motors do.

Have you ever been in a 29 with a 496:smackhead
That is like buying a corvette and putting a chevette motor in it....

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I just talked with the manufacture and he said that he is going to call Merc. on monday and see about doing a remanufactured 525 or something. The initial realistic number I am trying to hit for my situation (financial) is 70. If I can't do a remanufactured motor I think I will just do a HO and add a Raylar kit later.

Not So Fast

Reaction score
I just talked with the manufacture and he said that he is going to call Merc. on monday and see about doing a remanufactured 525 or something. The initial realistic number I am trying to hit for my situation (financial) is 70. If I can't do a remanufactured motor I think I will just do a HO and add a Raylar kit later.

Something to remember is that private sales equals NO SALES TAX in AZ. That equates to about $5500 for a $70K deal so you are very close to the price of Dillagafs boat right? But do whatever you feel is right for you and check into that Raylar deal before you do it. IMO "Do the Blue", NOW, or pay up later. Good Luck. NSF