WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Bridge Construction in Parker

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but what's wrong with the old one?

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
WTF???

Why only one lane open??? How stupid is that???

IN THE PHOTO: A groundbreaking ceremony was held April 7 for a new bridge across the Colorado River linking Parker, Arizona and Earp, California. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is leading the $30 million, two-year project. Turning the first shovels of dirt were (from left) Parker Mayor Steve Madoneczky, Caltrans Project Manager Bryce Johnson, Caltrans Dist. 8 Project Manager Basem Muallem, ADOT Yuma District Engineer Alvin Stump, and Colorado River Indian Tribes' Chairman Eldred Enas. Pioneer photo/John Gutekunst

A groundbreaking ceremony for a new bridge linking Parker, Ariz. and Earp, Calif. was held Wednesday morning at Bluewater Lagoon in Parker. The new bridge will replace a two-lane bridge that dates back to 1938. The California Department of Transportation is leading on the project while working with the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Caltrans spokesperson Shelly Lombardo said the new bridge will take about two years to complete and will cost approximately $30 million. The contractor is MCM Construction of North Highlands, Calif.

Funding for the project is coming from Caltrans and ADOT. Lombardo said the funding is secure, and is subject to possible federal reimbursement.

Several officials spoke at the dedication. Colorado River Indian Tribes? Chairman Eldred Enas noted the impact the old bridge had on improving the economy of the area. He said the new bridge will have the same effect. He urged contractors on the project to hire local workers whenever possible.

CRIT Vice Chairperson Cindy Homer noted the history of the old bridge and praised Clara Osborn Bostzum, the local businesswoman and state legislator who pushed long and hard for it to be built.

Several speakers stated the bridge project was an example of what can happen when people work together, even in tough economic times.

Lombardo said the new bridge would be wider than the current one. While it will still carry two lanes of traffic, it is designed so emergency vehicles can pass quickly. The bridge is also designed so it can be widened easily should there be a need for it. A pedestrian walkway is planned that will be much wider than the current sidewalk.

In addition to these features, the new bridge will feature aesthetic lighting and relief artwork highlighting local native culture.

Lombardo said at least one lane on the old bridge would remain open during construction. She said Caltrans is working closely with local law enforcement and emergency services should traffic control issues emerge.

Regular updates on the project will be posted on Caltrans? website at caltrans8.info. The updates will be found under the menu item ?news documents.? Lombardo said people interested in receiving updates can sign up for direct e-mail commuter alerts regarding California Route 62.

Lombardo said the project has been in the works for 19 years. She said there are a lot of different entities involved, and it took a while to get them all on board.

The current bridge dates to 1938. The driving force behind the bridge was local businesswoman-legislator Clara Osborn Botzum. The bridge is credited with helping open the Parker area to visitors from California, and to improving commerce between California and Arizona. The total cost had been $135,000.

The bridge replaced a pontoon bridge which had been destroyed in a flood. That pontoon bridge had replaced a ferry service which had been operated by Joe and Nellie Bush.

The bridge was renamed in Botzum?s honor in 1979.

reb939

Reaction score
article states that the wider bridge will allow for better emergency vehicle traffic. I've been going to Parker since '77 and have yet to see a traffic jamb on that bridge

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but what's wrong with the old one?

RD
Because if they just kept the old one California wouldn't be able to spend all that "Obama Money" :smackbum:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Artwork highlighting local native culture???? Does that mean they are going to have alcohol bottles shitbox cars decorating the bridge?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rivergames

Reaction score
Artwork highlighting local native culture???? Does that mean they are going to have alcohol bottles shitbox cars decorating the bridge?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Don't forget the dream catchers :cool:

teded

Reaction score
Glad they are widening it . Little hectic coming across it ,boat with tower and boards sticking out and a semi coming the other way.

Sent from my iPhone usi

Sent from space somehow

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Personally, I don't need a bigger bridge.

I need a late night mission to the DQ for a Blizzard after a long day of fun in the Sun dammit.

And isn't that what this is all about? My needs?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
How old is the existing bridge?
I keep seeing things on Discovery channel etc,about our grade of a D as far as infrastructure is concerned in our country,bridges collapsing etc, should they wait till that old bridge falls into the river to build a new one?

Bash away.:grumble:

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I keep seeing things on Discovery channel etc,about our grade of a D as far as infrastructure is concerned in our country,bridges collapsing etc, should they wait till that old bridge falls into the river to build a new one?

1938. :thumbsup

500bbc

Reaction score

HEY! Watch it Mister.

Just how the hell do think we can spend a 100 billion $ a year supporting illegal aliens and still take care of basic infrastucture mainteance?

Priorites are priorities!

Bridges don't vote.:rolleyes:

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
So I made the drive today.
They have the main road closed down and are diverting traffic on a side frontage dirt road parallel to the highway for about a Mile.
Thin lanes lined by k rail.

Taboma

Reaction score
Last edited: