WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Buckskin Fireboat!

Wedgy

Reaction score
My River runs were between several miles South of the Avi, up to Davis Dam. IDK how thick enforcement is on that stretch, but every time we had to help someone in trouble it sure would have been nice for LE to have been there, instead. Shit happens quick in that cold water.

Every time, I learned a lot of what doesn't work, and what not to do. All ended well, but pretty stressful. Especially fighting the current.

However, don't the navigation rules on water require a boater present, by law, to render assistance to a boater, PWC, in distress? A person in the water, etc?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I think some of you are all twisted up because it’s a “custom boat”, nobody would give a shit if it was a Boston whaler. I’m glad to see they kept the money somewhat local.

You firemen need to lighten up, don’t you know fire department bashing is our favorite past time on RDP. 😝😊

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I'm surprised the department wouldn't want to go more utilitarian style for a boat. Heavy aluminum with a jet, something more along the lines of what havasu fire and amr did. Fiberglass and a response boat never made sense to me, fiberglass is fragile compared to aluminum. If the boat gets used for the intended purposes, that gel is gonna take a beating

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

rivergames

Reaction score
Lots of haters! Let’s cry when they pull your ass out of the water!
Good for them to have quality equipment! Would you rather have a tug boat saving you? All boaters should be proud that this is in there fleet to help you when you are in distress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what I was thinking!

wzuber

Reaction score
When your children goes under water and does not surface what would rather have?????????

A jet bote...those twin screws can b rough on a body.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I'm surprised the department wouldn't want to go more utilitarian style for a boat. Heavy aluminum with a jet, something more along the lines of what havasu fire and amr did. Fiberglass and a response boat never made sense to me, fiberglass is fragile compared to aluminum. If the boat gets used for the intended purposes, that gel is gonna take a beating

Most intelligent thing said in this thread [emoji106]

LuauLounge

Reaction score

That's out the window if they have a max of 225k for a fully equipped boat.

Husqy510

Reaction score
My initial response, was that the fire chief is obviously a boat guy, but the more I think about it, this is probably a great rescue boat for them. I'd assume most of their calls are for rescues, which requires a rapid response and a open platform to work from. They don't go to wharf fires, so they don't need to flow 30k gpm like an LAFD fire boat, one small pump should handle a boat fire.

Fire apparatus are expensive. An Engine cost about 500k and a Truck cost close to a million. The cost of this boat is probably less than a purpose built fire boat with similar capabilities

Your ad here

Reaction score
Bad ass and good for them. I'm guessing it needs to be that big of a boat to hold all the gear and remain organized. Dive equipment takes up a lot of room and you need a big deck work with it. Someone mentioned earlier its probably also a training boat in addition to a rescue boat. It will be used unlike other government pieces of equipment. Like the City of LAs 1.3 million dollar paving machine that is meant for road repair but just sits in a yard. 3 years old and under 100 hours. Paid for by tax payers and was a shelter for a homeless guy for a period of time.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My River runs were between several miles South of the Avi, up to Davis Dam. IDK how thick enforcement is on that stretch, but every time we had to help someone in trouble it sure would have been nice for LE to have been there, instead. Shit happens quick in that cold water.

Every time, I learned a lot of what doesn't work, and what not to do. All ended well, but pretty stressful. Especially fighting the current.

However, don't the navigation rules on water require a boater present, by law, to render assistance to a boater, PWC, in distress? A person in the water, etc?
I don't know about the navigation rules in relation to the help of distress, but it's just being a decent human. That said, some people may worry more about their own intoxication, or even just panic, and not know what to do. I'm no state employee, or medic type, but have held a tourniquet waiting for "pros". I'd hazard a guess that those most "vocal" have not been witness to someone bleeding out, on ground or water. They have never made a call to a family saying their loved one isn't coming home. Nor have they spent time searching the shores or the mountains looking for lost souls. Before people complain about the costs, maybe they should look at what all is involved. Hell, maybe even offer a day or two a year to help do a search. Suddenly, the extra dollar or two a year on property taxes would be gladly paid.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone the pumping capacity and top speed as it sits?

attitude

Reaction score
With all the twin outboard toon hype I’m surprised they didn’t go that route

4Waters

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone the pumping capacity and top speed as it sits?
With OB's I wonder if it has a pump as there is no PTO, if it's electric it wouldn't have a lot of GPM/pressure without a huge battery bank or big/multiple alternators on each engine to run a big enough pump.

DWC

Reaction score
It is a cool boat! Worth every penny, the last one lasted 19 years. Now I own it!!! All you people out there that think it is an easy job to do what they do, should go do it for a few days!!!!!
What have they been using for a boat in between?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I don't know crap about parker, let alone who funds who or what...

however, I can offer some thoughts if you are not familiar with what these guys may be tasked to do with that boat. The boat looks very suitable for several tasks;
1. hopefully provide rescue personnel a safe, prompt and reliable response to the scene of an incident,
2. ability to carry a few rescuers / maybe paramedics and gear,
3. appears to have room for dive gear to search and or recover a submerged victim,
4. without knowing or seeing specs, someone mentioned it has a fire pump and hopefully some type of monitor or turret to flow water for a fire,
5. and I think very importantly it looks like it has a good amount of space for rescuers to provide advanced life care to possibly be done while on way back to a dock to meet a helicopter or ambulance. Time is important, when you don't have time on your side, hopefully if ever needed this boat helps make a difference for some ones loved one or even a friend.

the public opinions are often just that, don't assume. if you have questions about what you are getting for your pennies of tax dollars towards these types of opportunities for your safety go meet the crews and find out that there are far more greater challenges than you could imagine (staffing, funding, equipment are always in the publics eyes however there are concerns that go way deeper).
We should be happy that this boat has been placed in service, it might be replacing something else that had run its course of time.

ikester

Reaction score
No shit. and the buckskin tax base district is only a few thousand homes. It only includes the area north of parker to the dam. gee maybe thats why my 1400 foot home was almost $4,000 a year in taxes. fucking whores.
I believe this was paid for by a grant.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
With OB's I wonder if it has a pump as there is no PTO, if it's electric it wouldn't have a lot of GPM/pressure without a huge battery bank or big/multiple alternators on each engine to run a big enough pump.

lift up the "engine lid" and you'll see something you'd think was an engine...…..the pump is that big, not 502 big, but big none the less

A Berkeley powered by a 4.3 v6 would be plenty of water volume and pressure. Berkeley used to have fire hose attachments available back years ago, don't know if they still do...

I'm still curious to what kind of pump configuration it has.

Dan'l

boatnam2

Reaction score
Perfect rescue boat with the twin outboards, get it close and get there quick. I'm glad they got something new this quick.

stingray11

Reaction score
Looks like a pair of Frigidaire refrigerators, is that two or three door model on the back of that thing. Probably weigh more than a refrigerator.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LOL none of that means dick

I was kinna impressed the FD had 76 calls in the month of June. That's a bit over 2 a day.

I woulda thought those guys did a whole lotta nuthin most of the time. Who knew!

Reactions: DWC

LBZRCKS

Reaction score

There's an engine under the hatch that drives a pump.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Any pictures?

They are using an inline 4 cyl. to run the pump with all the plumbing routed below deck. The hose and turret are tucked away in the front sponson when not in use. Its all done very clean.

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_8872.jpg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Very cool boat. In reality it’s probably about half the cost of a SAFE Boat 25 with fire equipment .

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'm guessing donation of some sort

State Lake Improvement Fund. Your AZ marine fuel taxes hard at work.

Special appropriation by the legislature in last year's budget:

"Sec. 148. Arizona state parks board; appropriation; Buckskin fire district; fiscal year 2019-2020

In addition to any other appropriations made in fiscal year 2019‑2020, the sum of $225,000 is appropriated from the state lake improvement fund established by section 5-382, Arizona Revised Statutes, in fiscal year 2019‑2020 to the Arizona state parks board to distribute to the Buckskin fire district for the purchase of marine fire suppression equipment."

At least it didn't go for toilet paper in State Parks' outhouses, where it's all been going for the past 10 years. (@ $6 - $8 million a year)

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
225 for a brand new deck boat, outfitted like that, seems cheap. The old boat sunk. They had to get a new one. A deck boat, thats going to give you another 20 years of service is going to approach 200k. Twin motors is a great idea also, if one wont start they can still safely move the boat if they have too.

Idk. Seems like a nice build from Nordic, and it looks very functional. San Bernadino had a large, commercial looking boat out for tube float. Looked like something in the half million dollar range easy. Twin outboard center console.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Corvette for LAFD...A new Vette costs about the equivalent of one up-fitted LAPD patrol car, and about 1/5 the cost of a pumper fire truck. If the boat is one of several on the same stretch, it may be overkill. If that is the case, instead of complaining about the wasted tax dollars for one boat, maybe it should be questioned why there are so many needed there, and why redundancy is costing so much in general. The stretch I run, Topock north, has one fire boat I have seen. It stays docked normally at Pirates. There may be one further up, but I've never seen it. Is there more funding from federal attributes due to the indian land, I don't know.
Does pirates charge them twenty bucks too? Asking for a friend. 😉

Taboma

Reaction score
225 for a brand new deck boat, outfitted like that, seems cheap. The old boat sunk. They had to get a new one. A deck boat, thats going to give you another 20 years of service is going to approach 200k. Twin motors is a great idea also, if one wont start they can still safely move the boat if they have too.

Idk. Seems like a nice build from Nordic, and it looks very functional. San Bernadino had a large, commercial looking boat out for tube float. Looked like something in the half million dollar range easy. Twin outboard center console.

I'd also think that using twins will provide greater maneuverability when using the fire nozzle to assist in keeping the boat aligned and on target. If you've ever watched a small fire boat, keeping the boat aligned is challenging.

BamBam

Reaction score
Fire truck is about 1 million, engine is about half that

Just bought 2 Engines and a Truck. Engines were about $700,000 each and the Truck was about $1,250,000

Husqy510

Reaction score
Just bought 2 Engines and a Truck. Engines were about $700,000 each and the Truck was about $1,250,000
Wow, looks like prices have gone up. I think we get a little break on prices as well, since we typically order a few at a time

mbrown2

Reaction score
225K seems pretty reasonable. Heck some of those those center console LE boats with the twin verados are likely near that range. Compared to fireboats in the harbors this thing is cheap and when you compare it price wise for its predecessor the conquest for $$ during that era it is likely same or less than... Twin 300R nordics and eliminators are going for a lot more than 225K new.

DWC

Reaction score
If it’s $225,000 all in then Nordic cut them a hell of a deal. Guessing the extra fire equipment is more than a few bucks. Not a bad plan for Nordic to seed future projects.
There’s a lot of emotion around this as there should be. Budgets are going to be brutally tight for this year and I’d guess next. I believe the boat that sank is up and going again. If the department was run like a business there’s no chance they wouldn’t just revive the old hull and retrofit it. I’d rather see that and use the cash to hire another body, or two to staff it. Getting there faster begins with having it manned not faster boats.

Ty N

Reaction score
The pump that came off the old boat was 500 gallons a minute @150 psi. I still have it, am trying to get it running so I can resell it.

Ty N

Reaction score
If it’s $225,000 all in then Nordic cut them a hell of a deal. Guessing the extra fire equipment is more than a few bucks. Not a bad plan for Nordic to seed future projects.
There’s a lot of emotion around this as there should be. Budgets are going to be brutally tight for this year and I’d guess next. I believe the boat that sank is up and going again. If the department was run like a business there’s no chance they wouldn’t just revive the old hull and retrofit it. I’d rather see that and use the cash to hire another body, or two to staff it. Getting there faster begins with having it manned not faster boats.

The Conquest that sank was sold at auction, I now own it.

Reactions: DWC

RaceTec

Reaction score
Give us a tour of the boat! Looks bitchen!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
FIRE boat? Where is the water cannon? Where are the hoses?
looks like a Tax Fee collection boat.
I would be embarrassed to made to wear a uniform and ride in that boat saying I’m “fighting fires”.

Fire doesn’t always mean fire. They also help trauma in the water

Reaction score
FIRE boat? Where is the water cannon? Where are the hoses?
looks like a Tax Fee collection boat.
I would be embarrassed to made to wear a uniform and ride in that boat saying I’m “fighting fires”.

I saw the boat on the water last week. We drove by it and there was no water cannon. A little bit later we saw it again and it had a water cannon on it. It looked like it was mounted on the front of the boat. Id like to see how everything is rigged on the inside.

Riley1

Reaction score
I saw the boat on the water last week. We drove by it and there was no water cannon. A little bit later we saw it again and it had a water cannon on it. It looked like it was mounted on the front of the boat. Id like to see how everything is rigged on the inside.
[emoji849]

View attachment 896794 c

pretty cool that they put a water cannon on it due to my post here.
🤣
I’m going to start speaking up more often. 🤔🤪

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
pretty cool that they put a water cannon on it due to my post here.
[emoji1787]
I’m going to start speaking up more often. [emoji848][emoji2957]

Lol.