WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Build Merc 8.2 MAG or MAG HO

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Looking to have a new boat built and if it was you what would you choose? There is about an $8k price jump between the two packages. I read at one point Whipple offered a tune that made more than the MAG HO when you removed the cats but I can't seem to find that package on Whipple's site. I would love to jump up to the 520 with no cats but that's another $11,500 over the MAG HO plus another $5k for steering. Just wanted some feedback from you guys that might have either of these packages.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I haven’t done mine yet but I think this is what you’re looking for

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I take it back that’s the 525 but it’s close to the same price for stage 1 and 2 if I remember correctly. There’s a few members here who have done it.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I take it back that’s the 525 but it’s close to the same price for stage 1 and 2 if I remember correctly. There’s a few members here who have done it.
That's the thing is I can't find it anywhere (even on Whipple's site) for either of the 8.2's let alone the newer 8.2's. It seems they have changed the cats and wide band O2 sensors on the new engines which is maybe why I can't find anything about someone modifying a new engine. If I can't modify the MAG I might have to jump up to the MAG HO. But then I'll probably have my wife screaming at me when I am trying to use the extra MPH the MAG HO offers lol. :p

Last edited:

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I went through a similar thought process when I got my boat. Would've loved to have stepped up to a blue motor, but wasn't in the cards for me as the wife probably wouldn't of liked the higher mph. Ended up with the 8.2 mag ho. For my application (25' deck), it works great. Just fast enough for me and not so fast that the wife gets scared.

adam909

Reaction score
I seem to always think about resale.. I dont know what boat and size your planing on building but its a smaller boat I would drop in a stock 8.2. If its a 28 I would push for the blue520. Im a big fan of keeping things stock, I belive stock mercury and merc. racing are the best motors in boats once changed issues are possible along with warrenty issues. Im a big fan of the mag ho. Proven motor.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I seem to always think about resale.. I dont know what boat and size your planing on building but its a smaller boat I would drop in a stock 8.2. If its a 28 I would push for the blue520. Im a big fan of keeping things stock, I belive stock mercury and merc. racing are the best motors in boats once changed issues are possible along with warrenty issues. Im a big fan of the mag ho. Proven motor.

Going in a 22ft deck boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I went through a similar thought process when I got my boat. Would've loved to have stepped up to a blue motor, but wasn't in the cards for me as the wife probably wouldn't of liked the higher mph. Ended up with the 8.2 mag ho. For my application (25' deck), it works great. Just fast enough for me and not so fast that the wife gets scared.

I feel like the 22 deck with a MAG HO might be on par with a 25-26 deck with a blue top. And maybe the standard would be on par with the MAG HO in a larger deck. The blue top in the 22 would probably have my wife refusing to ever ride with me again lmao [emoji1787],thoughts?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Go 520. Worth it. You will have zero regrets.

I sooo wish I could but that’s just out of my price range. MAG HO is already pushing it along with another 10k in options that the boat should have. I have little ones and my parents on board most of the time so not sure how much I’ll be able to let that 520 eat.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I sooo wish I could but that’s just out of my price range. MAG HO is already pushing it along with another 10k in options that the boat should have. I have little ones and my parents on board most of the time so not sure how much I’ll be able to let that 520 eat.

Its just money. Last new boat I built I did a 496HO. I always regretted not spending the extra 8-10k on the 525efi. So your payment goes up a little.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If going Shockwave or Tahiti 22 talk to them about the 350hp 6.2, seems the weight and hp combined on those boats is a perfect set up and as long as you do the 350hp the resale is great.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

OC Mike

Reaction score
Given the choices given, I would go HO.
Easier to resell and probably make up the cost on the resell.
But then again, I always push for more motor in everything......

GR8WHITE

Reaction score

Those Ilmors are cool but I wonder what pricing is. I would love to see one of these Kodiak LSX 454’s in front of a stern drive. https://www.kemequipment.com/marine-engines/marine-engine-LSX-454.php#product-title

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Given the choices given, I would go HO.
Easier to resell and probably make up the cost on the resell.
But then again, I always push for more motor in everything......

Me too and I think that max for me is the MAG HO. $110k starting on a blue top 22 plus options and steering is a bit much for me to swallow. I could sell my 70 chevelle to fund that 520 but not worth it haha. Already selling my 1LE Camaro and my roll bar bote to finance this venture.

Last edited:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Looking to have a new boat built and if it was you what would you choose? There is about an $8k price jump between the two packages. I read at one point Whipple offered a tune that made more than the MAG HO when you removed the cats but I can't seem to find that package on Whipple's site. I would love to jump up to the 520 with no cats but that's another $11,500 over the MAG HO plus another $5k for steering. Just wanted some feedback from you guys that might have either of these packages.

Not sure if these are the same as the 496 tunes. I remember someone saying they did the whipple tune and it created a bunch of soot on the back of the boat. As well had to run 91. Id stay away from any computer flashing on a new motor. It say buy the Ho and let it rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Not sure if these are the same as the 496 tunes. I remember someone saying they did the whipple tune and it created a bunch of soot on the back of the boat. As well had to run 91. Id stay away from any computer flashing on a new motor. It say buy the Ho and let it rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was on the 8.2 and they had different stages depending on horsepower and octane. I obviously wouldn’t flash it until the warranty was up but here’s a link. Thinking HO is going to be the choice. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ers-pcm-upgrades-for-mercury-8-2-engines/amp/

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
If going Shockwave or Tahiti 22 talk to them about the 350hp 6.2, seems the weight and hp combined on those boats is a perfect set up and as long as you do the 350hp the resale is great.

Not a Tahiti or Shockwave but the base motor is the 350hp 6.2. This is the price breakdown. The MAG is $8k over the base 6.2, HO is $16k over the base 6.2 and the 520 with hydraulic steering is $32,500 over the base 6.2! [emoji15]

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not a Tahiti or Shockwave but the base motor is the 350hp 6.2. This is the price breakdown. The MAG is $8k over the base 6.2, HO is $16k over the base 6.2 and the 520 with hydraulic steering is $32,500 over the base 6.2! [emoji15]

Something of that size I’d definitely go the 6.2 over the 8.2 unless you go HO, but that hp and weight I’d want at minimum hydraulic assist steering.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
So I have the Cobra 260
It has the 8.2 HO
Cats are removed and has been re-tuned
(Stage 3)
Would I do it again - yes
runs better and sounds better

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
So I have the Cobra 260
It has the 8.2 HO
(Stage 3)
runs better

Do you run a Bravo 1X drive? Hydraulic steering with the HO?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Bravo X with the standard steering which is hyd . All you need
At the time it was a 20k upgrade to set up to a 520 which needs the better drive and the duel ram steering .

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
You always want to go with as much power you can afford or want to spend. If you go lower you will always wish you went up in power. With that said in a 22 deck and having a price range in yours,, I would either do the HO or the 6.2 350hp and skip the mag.

As far as the tunes, from what I heard which is hear say, there was something with Whipple and Mercury and it made Whipple pull the newer tunes for the new engine lines off the website including Tegues as well. With shooting on the transom I have heard different sides to that story as well.

For tunes other than Whipple you can also look at Boostpower if you want to delete cats and have a tune made.

Good lucknwith your boat build. Sure it will be awesome!

havasuhusker

Reaction score
So I have the Cobra 260
It has the 8.2 HO
(Stage 3)
runs better and sounds better

Mind sharing who you went through? I'd be curious to do this once the warranty period is over.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
You always want to go with as much power you can afford or want to spend. If you go lower you will always wish you went up in power. With that said in a 22 deck and having a price range in yours,, I would either do the HO or the 6.2 350hp and skip the mag.

As far as the tunes, from what I heard which is hear say, there was something with Whipple and Mercury and it made Whipple pull the newer tunes for the new engine lines off the website including Tegues as well. With shooting on the transom I have heard different sides to that story as well.

For tunes other than Whipple you can also look at Boostpower if you want to delete cats and have a tune made.

Good lucknwith your boat build. Sure it will be awesome!

Thanks for the input. Any reason to skip the MAG over the 6.2? I will probably always have 6-8 people on the boat with me.

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Any reason to skip the MAG over the 6.2? I will probably always have 6-8 people on the boat with me.

If you get the 350hp 6.2 output numbers are pretty close to the mag and you save 250-260 pounds in engine weight. Just my 2 cents. For resale and over all performance I would personally go with the ho.

Last edited:

Joe mama

Reaction score
Always better to be looking at it than looking for it.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Pic of the cats
They are big
52E69180-E164-4BDF-81B7-18278737B27D.jpeg

CobraDave

Reaction score
You are not going any faster in a 8.1 Mag versus a 6.2 350. I have a 6.2 in a Shoxkwave 22 deck and it’s perfect for that boat. I load it down all the time. Like someone said, it’s like 300 pounds lighter than the 8.1.

If your doing the Mag, get the 6.2. If doing the HO, get the HO. If doing the 520, get that 520!!!!! Lol

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
But size matters .
Big block looks good ,plus more hp.
Lol

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
You are not going any faster in a 8.1 Mag versus a 6.2 350. I have a 6.2 in a Shoxkwave 22 deck and it’s perfect for that boat. I load it down all the time. Like someone said, it’s like 300 pounds lighter than the 8.1.

If your doing the Mag, get the 6.2. If doing the HO, get the HO. If doing the 520, get that 520!!!!! Lol

Do you know what the weight of the Shockwave is with that 6.2? The 22 I’m looking at is listed as 4000lbs with the 6.2.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
But size matters .
Big block looks good ,plus more hp.
Lol

I was under the impression it’s the gobs of additional torque down low on the big block vs the small blocks and not really a horsepower thing. But there is a difference in weight and not sure how much that plays into the equation.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I sent the cpu to whipple super chargers.
A week turn around time .
The cats comes out easy but buy new gaskets
Running 91 octane now

How long ago did you have that done?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
My buddy just got his done and he said Whipple told him he was one of the last ones and they were not doing them anymore. I would imagine they have the same fears as the tuners who were targeted and fined for deleting cats in cars and trucks. Could be why it’s not on their website anymore.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Alway can go this way

Attachments

• 005F858D-41DD-4198-ABDD-B2342AA8077A.png
    005F858D-41DD-4198-ABDD-B2342AA8077A.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 94
  • A05C9808-5466-4699-9AAF-7C7188E274C3.png
    A05C9808-5466-4699-9AAF-7C7188E274C3.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 80

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
My buddy just got his done and he said Whipple told him he was one of the last ones and they were not doing them anymore. I would imagine they have the same fears as the tuners who were targeted and fined for deleting cats in cars and trucks. Could be why it’s not on their website anymore.
If there is a will , there is a way .

Can be done just for “race “Applications
Key word

CobraDave

Reaction score
What boat are you building? Shockwave lists their 22 at 3150 lbs.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
What boat are you building? Shockwave lists their 22 at 3150 lbs.

Cheetah has a new 22 Wildcat, they are testing the first boat now with a 6.2. Boat is still not complete. if I remember 2FF got 90s or a little less out of a 26 with a 525. That's why I think the HO should do great with 4 less feet in a 22. I like that the Cheetah has much more freeboard especially up front. I am having a new baby any day now but once the wifey is settled down I'm taking a trip out there to check the boat out. The 26 Wildcat is listed at 4860lbs.

Last edited:

CobraDave

Reaction score
2FF Speedo got 90Mph. Not the boat. Hehehe. Sounds cool though. Any pics of this new model? I could t find it on their site. I like their 26 deck.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
2FF Speedo got 90Mph. Not the boat. Hehehe. Sounds cool though. Any pics of this new model? I could t find it on their site. I like their 26 deck.

Yeah that’s why I said a little less lol. Not on their website yet but it’s the 26 with 4ft pulled out of it. Looks like dual helm but the interior isn’t even finished on the first boat yet.