WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Campbell Owner...

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I just picked up this little V-drive Whaler. My friends think I'm weird, but I've always had a soft spot for whalers and weird boats in general so this deal fit the bill! I don't know much about Campbells but I've been to the regatta and it seems like a good group of owners, plus Campbell Carl liked them and he had a keen eye for all things cool so I'm excited to have one of my own. If anyone knows any history of this boat please let me know!

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I agree.

Let's hear some details.

C500 or split case?

velvet drive?

Motor?

Lets see a picture of the prop. :)

Did you run it yet?

Brian

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree.

Let's hear some details.

C500 or split case?

velvet drive?

Motor?

Lets see a picture of the prop. :)

Did you run it yet?

Brian

Haven't run it yet because I'm waiting on registration, but it has (I believe) a 468 BBC, T-400, and Champion Vdrive with 15s. Has a 3 blade on it, but I don't know what size. That's why I was looking for info on it, there really wasn't much info to be had. I know that it went through a refresh of some sort years back.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Haven't run it yet because I'm waiting on registration, but it has (I believe) a 468 BBC, T-400, and Champion Vdrive with 15s. Has a 3 blade on it, but I don't know what size. That's why I was looking for info on it, there really wasn't much info to be had. I know that it went through a refresh of some sort years back.

Nice

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
More pics PT!

I've never seen a Campbell Whaler V-drive :thumbsup

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
Congrats on the new to you boat, I think one of those could be a lot of fun with plenty of room for family/friends. I grew up going to Parker in our family's 21' Campbell, was a closed deck but a great boat. You could also put a removable tower on it sorta like the wake boats for a photo platform :rolleyes.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new to you boat, I think one of those could be a lot of fun with plenty of room for family/friends. I grew up going to Parker in our family's 21' Campbell, was a closed deck but a great boat. You could also put a removable tower on it sorta like the wake boats for a photo platform :rolleyes.

I think all it's going to get is a billet ski tow and some cleaning and run it :thumbsup

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
It has all snap in carpet that is in pretty good shape. I'm going to have the playpen pad reupholstered and buff the boat out and have fun with it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What makes a whaler a whaler? Pretty cool looking boat 👍

Monstrous

Reaction score
I did. The V-drive is the holy grail of center consoles. Enjoy

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I am looking forward to what you decide to name it. :tbi

Nice Campbell!

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to what you decide to name it. :tbi

Nice Campbell!

It's gonna have to reveal its character to me, but there will be a name. Of course I will pay homage to the original name so as not to offend the nautical gods...:D

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Was considering buying a couple years back
Some info in Campbell page and possibly some other pics, click on owners, 22', and there she is
image.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
PT
Welcome to the family. I think you will fit in just fine!!!! :):)
Love the full cav plate:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Couple of things to check.
Does she have metal or fiberglass tanks ???
Fuel lines go bad with the new fuel and then bad stuff happens with leaking fuel (which I am sure you know).
I change out my impeller every other season but my friends that store in Havasu do it every season as the heat tends to cook them and then they melt at the worst possible time. Dave Connelly has all the little stuff you will need as does Marty Raymond (480 231-7193) if you need something specific to Campbells.
Dave told me the C500 is almost indestructible as long as it has oil without the water!!!:eek:eek:eek

RB

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
PT
Welcome to the family. I think you will fit in just fine!!!! :):)
Love the full cav plate:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Couple of things to check.
Does she have metal or fiberglass tanks ???
Fuel lines go bad with the new fuel and then bad stuff happens with leaking fuel (which I am sure you know).
I change out my impeller every other season but my friends that store in Havasu do it every season as the heat tends to cook them and then they melt at the worst possible time. Dave Connelly has all the little stuff you will need as does Marty Raymond (480 231-7193) if you need something specific to Campbells.
Dave told me the C500 is almost indestructible as long as it has oil without the water!!!:eek:eek:eek

RB

Thanks. I'm excited about it! It has brand new aluminum tanks. I plan on doing a full service on it this week to make sure it's in solid shape mechanically. Thanks for the advise!

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm excited about it! It has brand new aluminum tanks. I plan on doing a full service on it this week to make sure it's in solid shape mechanically. Thanks for the advise!

Look over everything that goes thru the hull and check every fastener. Water pickups, bow eye, tail pipes, plate mounting bolts, rudder, cav 1/2" rod, prop shaft stuffing boxes (seals). Tilt the trailer, and fill the boat with water (below the starter level) to check all the sealing areas .

Inspect the steering, cable clamps, bolts, joints, and tiller to rudder shaft . Throttle/shift controls . Do these while draining oils and changing filters .

Inspect the prop shaft safety collar, check the 1/2" gap to the seal, and all the bolts around the shaft log .

Look for 'black' on the stringers around all the mounts . This is an indication of aluminum wearing (moving) against the glass . Something may be loose, find out what it is, and fix the problem .

IMO, a V-drive boat can be the most reliable on the water, but it must be set up and maintained to higher standards . Once you know all about this boat, you will not have any problematic issues, and it will be a great asset to your business and your personal ventures .

Once you have it 'dialed in', any Thursday night 'inspection' before a big weekend will be all that it requires . I can help if you have questions .

Party on .........

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Look over everything that goes thru the hull and check every fastener. Water pickups, bow eye, tail pipes, plate mounting bolts, rudder, cav 1/2" rod, prop shaft stuffing boxes (seals). Tilt the trailer, and fill the boat with water (below the starter level) to check all the sealing areas .

Inspect the steering, cable clamps, bolts, joints, and tiller to rudder shaft . Throttle/shift controls . Do these while draining oils and changing filters .

Inspect the prop shaft safety collar, check the 1/2" gap to the seal, and all the bolts around the shaft log .

Look for 'black' on the stringers around all the mounts . This is an indication of aluminum wearing (moving) against the glass . Something may be loose, find out what it is, and fix the problem .

IMO, a V-drive boat can be the most reliable on the water, but it must be set up and maintained to higher standards . Once you know all about this boat, you will not have any problematic issues, and it will be a great asset to your business and your personal ventures .

Once you have it 'dialed in', any Thursday night 'inspection' before a big weekend will be all that it requires . I can help if you have questions .

Party on .........

Great post. Thanks for the info!

Rickybobby

Reaction score
One other thing to check is the bilge pump!!!

Almost sunk jr's boat, when the "little" water leaks added up to a bunch of water in the boat and bilge pump float stuck closed !!!!

She should be an awesome platform for you to shoot action shots from....
I had a very nice comp ski boat similar to your pink one and never ever got a thumbs up.... never really thought about it until the wife mentioned it on a trip through the channel..... not to mention the conversations at the gas stations.... digging these ol skool boats!!!

Chopperman

Reaction score
Very cool! I've always liked and wanted an old whaler.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I had some time this afternoon so I took the whaler down to site six to float it on the trailer and look for leaks etc. looks like the rudder packing is leaking and the water pump housing as well. It also won't hold an idle so I'm thinking it may need a carb clean. Other than that everything seems in order. [emoji1303] don't mind the piece of upholstery lol

Image1467082834.238127.jpg

Image1467082875.585963.jpg

Image1467082897.260652.jpg

Image1467082911.661815.jpg

Nailhead

Reaction score
I went to check that whaler out a week ago last Saturday. Good to see someone picked it up. It's got all drop thru hardware, strut, fins etc. looks like it had some decent power to it at one point in its life. Should be a fun boat

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to check that whaler out a week ago last Saturday. Good to see someone picked it up. It's got all drop thru hardware, strut, fins etc. looks like it had some decent power to it at one point in its life. Should be a fun boat

It does have some nice attributes. Should be a fun little boat.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
What a cool find! Looking forward to seeing it on the river :thumbsup

Croz

Reaction score
Looks like a rad boat! it has a friggen bed up front, I'm sure that'll be used :thumbsup

Rickybobby

Reaction score
What is the plan on the name ??? Leaving it or going in a different direction??? "Lets Whale" isn't bad but I would think a creative guy like you could come up with something ???:cool:cool:cool

Tiki Torch
Cider Bomb

ps
Its the right color too!!!!

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the plan on the name ??? Leaving it or going in a different direction??? "Lets Whale" isn't bad but I would think a creative guy like you could come up with something ???:cool:cool:cool

Tiki Torch
Cider Bomb

ps
Its the right color too!!!!

There will be a new name. My boats have had names like The Pink Taco, Blue Balls, Bastard Child, and the Brown Trout. No way this boat is getting away with Let's Whale. Lol...

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
You're gonna dig it Tom. I owned one years ago (V-drive whaler) which i did a full restoration on. One of the funest boats ever. It got sold for the usual reasons, i wish i kew what happened to it and where it went. Enjoy!:thumbsup

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
500hp...man that lil fucker should scoot!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for a name :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
PT
Whats the latest on your Whaler ????

Just got her back from Connelly Marine where they did a variety of work on it. Now I'm trying to source a 12/15 three blade for it as the one that came with it is all cracked. Hope to have her on the water soon.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Just got her back from Connelly Marine where they did a variety of work on it. Now I'm trying to source a 12/15 three blade for it as the one that came with it is all cracked. Hope to have her on the water soon.

Bergeron has them.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Can't wait to see it, you going to the DCB event ??

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I have a 22 Schiada whaler v-drive. They are really rare and get alot of attention .If you redo the interior I would suggest putting seats up front and ditch the play pen setup.It will give you more practical seating.You can see pics of my boat in the 22 Schiada thread.I'm like you I dig the old School stuff too.Good luck with your new toy.Maybe see you out in havasu some time:thumbup: