WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Can Am or Rzr?-Need help

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Buying 2 new side by sides. 4 seaters.
To be used in Lake Havasu. Trails.

Wants- safety, reliability, comfort.

Would like recommendations on factory build must haves.

Why Can am or Rzr?

c_land

Reaction score
There's a lot of good info in here specific to what others have bought and experienced on different platforms in havasu

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
What's your timeline on purchasing? Obvious recommendations for Robby Gordon's Speed UTV, but a deposit now you probably won't get your car until q4 next year.

Polaris is coming out with the RZR Pro R in january. Rumor mill of a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder 2 liter engine from the Polaris Slingshot.

If you have to buy now, it depends on how much work you want to do to it after you buy it. The Can-Am has a much higher ceiling of performance than the rzr, but they aren't built very well from the factory. Expect to do a front bulkhead support, shock tower brace, double sheer kit for radius rods, and new radius rods. If you want to do less work day 1, I'd look to a rzr but the factory suspension design will limit performance if you want all-out ability down the line. Hope that helps.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
What's your timeline on purchasing? Obvious recommendations for Robby Gordon's Speed UTV, but a deposit now you probably won't get your car until q4 next year.

Polaris is coming out with the RZR Pro R in january. Rumor mill of a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder 2 liter engine from the Polaris Slingshot.

If you have to buy now, it depends on how much work you want to do to it after you buy it. The Can-Am has a much higher ceiling of performance than the rzr, but they aren't built very well from the factory. Expect to do a front bulkhead support, shock tower brace, double sheer kit for radius rods, and new radius rods. If you want to do less work day 1, I'd look to a rzr but the factory suspension design will limit performance if you want all-out ability down the line. Hope that helps.
Looking to purchase now, hopefully get them within a month or so. I don’t want all out performance as we are cruising with small kids. But I do want them reliable without having to do upgrades after the purchase. I want them turn key. Sounds like the rzr might be the better route.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Looking to purchase now, hopefully get them within a month or so. I don’t want all out performance as we are cruising with small kids. But I do want them reliable without having to do upgrades after the purchase. I want them turn key. Sounds like the rzr might be the better route.

RZR is a better turnkey platform.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Yeah agree with the above, LOF can probably speak to this better than me, but I think the only known structural issues are the rear swaybar mounting tabs on the frame.

Some will say you need an aftermarket cage, some will say stock cage has more design and engineering than what most tube benders put together in their garage. I fall somewhere in the middle of the argument, no doubt that stock cage has been designed and engineered, but I think it can certainly be improved if you find a reputable cage builder. Look to someone who has built cages for race-utvs.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
RZR is a better turnkey platform.
Having had Both LOF is right

I chose Can Am this time for two reasons:
Room and ride

Mine has a crap load of extras on it and rides better than anything I’ve seen out there.

That said, out of the box stock, rzr is more plug and play ready. But at 6’02”, I’m over looking like a clown stuffed in a rzr.
Plenty of both owned by havasu inmates to take a ride in to see what you like.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Yeah agree with the above, LOF can probably speak to this better than me, but I think the only known structural issues are the rear swaybar mounting tabs on the frame.

Some will say you need an aftermarket cage, some will say stock cage has more design and engineering than what most tube benders put together in their garage. I fall somewhere in the middle of the argument, no doubt that stock cage has been designed and engineered, but I think it can certainly be improved if you find a reputable cage builder. Look to someone who has built cages for race-utvs.

I put cages on both my rzr’s as the bolts at the top just gave me 0 confidence.
I think the can am cage is a little better engineered but I have an aftermarket cage on it also.

That is a long debate in of itself on a lot of points as you stated.

DLC

Reaction score
Take 30 minutes and go sit in each car to see what is more comfortable to you and the wife.

no matter what car you get you’ll need some extras
1- inter com & radio car to car
2- suspension upgrade
3- spare tire and a mount
4- lights and whip for night rides and a interior dome light
5- windshield or helmets? If helmets go with a fresh air ( filters air to the helmet with a blower)
6- S&B filter separator it removes the dust dirt before it gets to the air filter keeps air filter clean
7- belt temperature gauge. Don’t want to over heat the belt this keeps things in check and when it heats up time for a stop and a cold drink!

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Can am must do’s. Along with the other items listed above

lower A arms - can bend they have a weak spot built into them from factory. Taco kit gussets the stock arm or replace w/ aftermarket arm
6 radius arms in the rear are known to bend rear pull plate covers the 6 arms on back of car
double shear bolt kit on middle radius rod goes on the alum hub kit from shock therapy
frt end bulk head and shock tower support beefs up the Frt end so it will take a pounding
in the max you need big tires for the ground clearance 32‘s is the smallest tire I would go wit, I have 35’s on my car

if your just going out to putt around then nothing listed is needed however if you get on it and hit a G out or a rock you can mess things up really quickly, it’s fairly easy to get going 40-50 and faster in these cars and faster is smoother ride!

standard wash and Mohave wash are just a wash board w bumps right now.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Yes the older RZR XP platform has a couple small weaknesses, rear sway bar mounts, rear radius rod/mounting (this has been vastly improved in the last few years) and the front lower arms. These are not really an issue on the Turbo S variant. Stock cage is just OK in my opinion. A crappy aftermarket cage is probably worse, a good aftermarket cage is better.

The new platform Pro XP however is probably the best turn key car currently, and seems pretty solid overall. Very good stock cage

Can Am is great, it just has a couple quirks and needs some bulletproofing, but is solid after that. Probably the best stock cage.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
From the info y’all have provided, it looks like the Rzr would be best for me.
Rzr Turbo S4.
It’s the 72” wide, newer ride. Is this one better than the best 64” wide?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Rzr Turbo S4.

From what I have seen, the 64" wide RZR XP Pro has a slightly different rear suspension design that doesn't have as much toe change throughout travel as the turbo S does. XP Pro also has a decently robust stock cage. Drawback is that it is ugly.

Where do you plan on using these the most? In some places, a 72" wide car may be more trouble than it's worth. Also, UTV manufacturers really need to get new tape measures. My parents XP1k with stock wheels is 68" wide and my XX with stock offset wheels is 69" wide. Aunt and Uncle have a turbo S, was 76 wide on stock wheels, now they threw some ridiculous wheels on it and are over 80"

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
If you laying down coin on 2 new Polaris units, it may be worth your while to buy at I69 in Tenn.
Used to be called Abernathys, low, low prices and availability. U can easily save $3/4k on each unit from buying in AZ./Cali.
Fly in and out, one day, have to do the deal there in person. Pay to ship them back, still save thousands.....
Or buy a double trailer for the coin you save and get them yourself.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rzr Turbo S4.

The 64" Pro XP is probably a better overall car, and faster. It is newer, has more room in it, more features and more power. It is a really good 64" car.

The 72" Turbo S is going to perform a little better overall. It is based on the older XP platform, so less interior room, and the interior is not as nice with fewer features. But it has bigger shocks, more travel, bigger tires.

Go check them out and see which one you like best. I don't think you can go wrong with either one personally, but the interior and features may be deciding factors for you.

DLC

Reaction score
Some dealers have add one and cars already built

berts mega mall is known for the builds, any dealer can outfit or build a car for you but it takes time... I don’t know how berts is to deal with on buying.

if you decide on can am I have a buddy that can help if he has the max( 4 seater ) in stock

D6B90B84-FC9C-435F-A13E-97215EE27F1E.png

riverroyal

Reaction score
Take 30 minutes and go sit in each car to see what is more comfortable to you and the wife.

no matter what car you get you’ll need some extras
1- inter com & radio car to car
2- suspension upgrade
3- spare tire and a mount
4- lights and whip for night rides and a interior dome light
5- windshield or helmets? If helmets go with a fresh air ( filters air to the helmet with a blower)
6- S&B filter separator it removes the dust dirt before it gets to the air filter keeps air filter clean
7- belt temperature gauge. Don’t want to over heat the belt this keeps things in check and when it heats up time for a stop and a cold drink!

1- I don't have these
2-nope. Just adjust stock
3-yes
4-yes
5-half windshield. $200 buck
6-nope. Personally I think they are not worth it 1600 miles on mine now. I've have a total of 2 filters
7-nope. 1200 miles on belt number 1. . Never broke I just changed it. No idea the belt temps

All depends on what you need or want. I don't drive like I'm afraid to break something. Fast on chop, fast in rocks etc.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You drunk?

A RZR is a better car if you are just going to get in and drive it and do not want to spend thousands on messing with it. RZRs need less in durability mods for sure. The higher end electronic features are better than what Can Am offers, and I think the build quality is better on RZRs.

Ask yourself why there are so many more Polaris rentals than Can Am rentals.

If you address the shortcomings of the Can Am, up front, it’s a great car.

yz450mm

Reaction score
You guys are cute and all with your rubber bands, but if you want real fun then you get something with real drivetrains and paddle shifters that lives for 10.5k RPM...

Lol, shots fired! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
20201206_203348.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

37 boat

Reaction score
Buying 2 new side by sides. 4 seaters.
To be used in Lake Havasu. Trails.

Wants- safety, reliability, comfort.

Would like recommendations on factory build must haves.

Why Can am or Rzr?
All one has to do is sit in both of them...If you are bigger than a 90 lb. schoolgirl the Rzr is just too cramped, especially in the back seats. Maybe the newer ones are better but I shopped both in 2018 and I could barely close the door without hitting my knees in the Rzr.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I disagree. RzR is a after market whore!
They are all good now.
The best utv right now is one you can actually buy! Inventory is low

yz450mm

Reaction score
They need a 4 seater badly
They revamped Wolverine line, every review I've watched or read has been fully positive. Seems like it would be a great machine for somebody that doesn't need a pure sport machine but still wants a 1000cc motor and good suspension.

I will probably pick one up next year, I think it has a 5 or 10 year belt warranty on it.

yamaha-wolverine-rmax-1000.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They revamped Wolverine line, every review I've watched or read has been fully positive. Seems like it would be a great machine for somebody that doesn't need a pure sport machine but still wants a 1000cc motor and good suspension.

I will probably pick one up next year, I think it has a 5 or 10 year belt warranty on it.

View attachment 949331

Yea looks similar to a General. Pretty good looking unit.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All one has to do is sit in both of them...If you are bigger than a 90 lb. schoolgirl the Rzr is just too cramped, especially in the back seats. Maybe the newer ones are better but I shopped both in 2018 and I could barely close the door without hitting my knees in the Rzr.

The Pro XP line has a lot more interior room.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I disagree. RzR is a after market whore!
They are all good now.
The best utv right now is one you can actually buy! Inventory is low

Yes a lot of parts are made for it, and a lot of people have spent tens of thousands on RZRs making garage queens that don't perform any better than a stock car.. but they look cool.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
1- I don't have these
2-nope. Just adjust stock
3-yes
4-yes
5-half windshield. $200 buck
6-nope. Personally I think they are not worth it 1600 miles on mine now. I've have a total of 2 filters
7-nope. 1200 miles on belt number 1. . Never broke I just changed it. No idea the belt temps

All depends on what you need or want. I don't drive like I'm afraid to break something. Fast on chop, fast in rocks etc.

New springs are transformative to these things. It is almost unbelievable.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Yea looks similar to a General. Pretty good looking unit.

That Wolverine is still 25k?[emoji3166] I was expecting a little lower since it’s a step down from the RZR. Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That Wolverine is still 25k?[emoji3166] I was expecting a little lower since it’s a step down from the RZR. Jesus.

Prices on these things are just going to keep going up. Buy used. I know inventory is low, but there are good used units still out there that sit in peoples garages. You just have to be ready to jump.

NicPaus

Reaction score

I checked out the 2 seater. It looks a lot better than the 4 pictured. They were putting 5k of upgrades on it as Yamaha wanted. Was quoted 26,400 or so otd with upgrades.

They had a 20 Ultimate pro 2 seater with extras 31,100 otd.
Prefer to buy a 4 seater but no inventory.

riverroyal

Reaction score
lets say theres a $15000 depreciation on a can am a 'friend' owns. At 1600 miles thats $9 per mile of fun. or at 120 hours of run time thats $125 per hour. So a 5 hour day to topoc and back is $625 bucks. Not bad. Like a DCB!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
lets say theres a $15000 depreciation on a can am a 'friend' owns. At 1600 miles thats $9 per mile of fun. or at 120 hours of run time thats $125 per hour. So a 5 hour day to topoc and back is $625 bucks. Not bad. Like a DCB!

LOL That is why you buy as few bolt on doo dads as needed, they are $.50 resale on the dollar or less.

Most people lose the real depreciation on the mods, not so much on the car itself. If you consider a stock car with 1600 miles, you'd only lose $3-4K from new.

DLC

Reaction score
Get out and put more miles on the car, so if you had double the miles it would be half the cost......

if you had 3200 miles that’s on $4.50 per mile fun!

LOL