WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Coast Guard Kill Switch Requirement

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Engine/Propulsion Cut-Off Devices (uscgboating.org)

Hey guys so I have been reading these articles about the new ECOS coast guard requirement. To me they have been misleading and would make one think that even if your boat was never manufactured with an ECOS you would need to install one. THIS IS NOT THE CASE CLICK ON LINK ABOVE. I think this bill has good merit but for me its just another project before I can hit the water this year and I will be installing one at some point. For those that maybe in the same boat "pun intended" I wanted to give you a leg to stand on if you get stopped for a safety check this summer and start getting harassed for not having a Kill Switch. Hope this helps you guys out.

4Waters

Reaction score
🙄🙄 only on new boats, you don't have to install one on yours.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes sir I just wanted to actually see it in writing from the coast guard.

I'd posted this in the other Kill Switch thread from yesterday. This is from the Kill Switch FAQ off the USCG website
ECOS.JPG

Here's the RDP thread from yesterday.

Here's the USCG web page regarding ECOS and you can scroll down and find the FAQ link as well.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Haha sorry for beating the horse. I was looking for your thread actually because I knew I had seen it. I couldn't for the life of me find it though. And I didn't see the one posted yesterday. Sorry guys

Taboma

Reaction score
Haha sorry for beating the horse. I was looking for your thread actually because I knew I had seen it. I couldn't for the life of me find it though. And I didn't see the one posted yesterday. Sorry guys

No problem, no apologies necessary, easy to miss as it's already buried on page 2 and the thread title makes using the search engine, essentially challenging if not futile.
Hope this clears it up and I dug for the info wondering if I was going to have to retro-fit.
I also believe way back, Boat Cop Alan had commented something along the lines of this not being enforced by local LEO, more of a Federal Coast Guard thing.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to install a kill switch I happen to have one. I'll give it to you, just pay to ship it and it's yours or you can stop by and pick it up.

Kill Switch.jpg

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1616954711422.jpg
I picked up one for the family flatty , just because you know they will make it a law for all years soon.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
So what make someone me actually use this devise ? Nothing lol

Taboma

Reaction score
We obviously use our lanyards on our jetskis with wristbands. When I'm out in our boat, I'm not wearing a floatation jacket, and I think have a wrist band with that spiral cord getting wrapped around the wheel would be a pain in the ass, so where do people attach them when boating ?

jnmn

Reaction score
i put mine around my waist with one hook its off for moving around the boat or idling around get

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

This is a wireless device. One nice feature is you can put it on passengers or a animal and if they go overboard it will kill the motor.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We obviously use our lanyards on our jetskis with wristbands. When I'm out in our boat, I'm not wearing a floatation jacket, and I think have a wrist band with that spiral cord getting wrapped around the wheel would be a pain in the ass, so where do people attach them when boating ?

I pretty much wear the same brand of boardshorts always...they have a loop on the right leg..i hook it to that.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Anyone attache it to the hardware on their member?

Asking for a friend.

Icky

Reaction score
I clip it to my belt loops on my board shorts, or between the strings if I don't have loops. I might not have shorts on after being ejected, but at least the boat will be stopped 😁

Icky

Reaction score
Yes I'm thinking if I installed one. Put it near the throttle so the band would go on throttle hand.
You run the risk of turning the boat off when you take a drink of your beer.