WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Diesel Truck

Englewood

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new 3/4 ton or 1-ton diesel.

I am looking at a Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel

I've always been a GMC guy, but like the look of the Ford better.

These are the only brands I am considering. I drove a brand new f-250 and it felt like a semi truck...Is that normal for the Fords?

What's the RDP exerts say?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score

These are the only brands I am considering. I drove a brand new f-250 and it felt like a semi truck...Is that normal for the Fords?

I heard all the gmc come with a free puppy now so you don’t get lonely on the walk home

attitude

Reaction score
I heard all the gmc come with a free puppy now so you don’t get lonely on the walk home
33B729DB-3299-44B7-9F8C-A332CA955F26.jpeg

attitude

Reaction score
OP they are all solid trucks, Ford has a new super duty in the way but I don’t believe they have hit dealerships yet so I doubt that’s what you drove.

P.S. Ford and Chevy pretty much share the same transmission, the Allison badge is just a badge these days.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Do the Fords still use a solid front axle? That might explain the truck ride and feel.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The solid front axle dodges seem to drive and ride great.

I think the IFS on the Chevy is it's major downfall.
My mistake, I thought Dodge went to IFS also.

I plead ignorance, since I really haven’t looked for a new truck in over 20 years.🤣

CLdrinker

Reaction score

My rear coil 2018 Ram 2500 rode better than my ‘22 F250. But it has the F350 rear suspension.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Are you going to keep it stock? A good suspension (Carli,etc.)can make the SFA trucks ride night and day better, but you’re going to spend $3k+ to do so. If you’re keeping it stock, the IFS GM will probably ride a little better.

I’m a Ram owner, and wouldn’t want a CP4 truck, but the Powerstroke trucks are absolute beasts. I can’t imagine what the new HD output motor will drive like.

The newest GM I’ve been in is a 17ish, and it wasn’t bad, but power wise, nothing compares the 6.7/10 speed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Not normal at all for Any new truck!

I would guess someone missed the tire pressure check on the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and the tires are at 90psi.

My friend has a newer F350 and it rides like a freaking Lexus. They all should ride good these days. 👍🏼

HotRod82

Reaction score
I'm going through the truck debate right now as well. I kept my 05 Cummins powered Ram all these years because I like the reliability and simplicity. I decided after 250K miles it was time to replace it. I decided on a new Ram, but as luck would have it my neighbor made me a smoking deal on his 20 Ford Powerstroke. I'm trying to like it, but it drives like a semi. The power is awesome but it drives worse than my 05 Dodge.

Teague_JR

Reaction score
I'm going through the truck debate right now as well. I kept my 05 Cummins powered Ram all these years because I like the reliability and simplicity. I decided after 250K miles it was time to replace it. I decided on a new Ram, but as luck would have it my neighbor made me a smoking deal on his 20 Ford Powerstroke. I'm trying to like it, but it drives like a semi. The power is awesome but it drives worse than my 05 Dodge.

I love the looks and cabin size on the Fords but I agree with you. My 200k mile 2013 duramax dually drives better than the brand new F-250 I had in 2018. Especially front end tracking and stability. Also towing stability but that might be apples and oranges from short bed to long bed/dually. And yes I dumped thousands of dollars on carli stuff trying to make it perform to my standards.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

That's the only reason I didn't go GM the last couple trucks. I had a Chevy Diesel Dually in the past and in 4 wheel drive you could literally see the front wheels turning pigeon toed. It was kinda scary. Ran good though. I like my Ram Cummins with the Aisin tranny better though.

boatpi

Reaction score
I’ve had a super duty and the rim you can’t go wrong with either one. Look at all the post on Chevy and GMC about various parts failing within the first 50,000 miles just use caution in that some of the parts aren’t built like they used to be.
The 2023 super duty is due out any day. It should be pretty spectacular.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I would check with your insurance carrier. Fords were running much higher on comp and collision.

sczagurs

Reaction score
I currently have a 22 Ford F350 Platinum long bed and absolutely love it. Mind you it has the Carli suspension leveling kit. I run the tires around 40 psi and it rides like a dream. The 10 speed trans helps me average 19 mpg to the river. I am personally not a big fan of the 23 exterior but do enjoy the interior update. The 22 has the large 12” screen, they are suppose to be pushing out an update so the whole screen is not broken up anymore. Added cherry on top is the trucks payload is 4004.

boatnam2

Reaction score

I love my 250 but it will bounce your dentures out if you don't keep your mouth closed while driving.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I would check with your insurance carrier. Fords were running much higher on comp and collision.
You get what you pay for, State Farm gave me $75,900 for my 2017 F250 Lariat a couple months back in my accident.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
GM is coming out with a significant 2024 model upgrade for the HD trucks. New interiors and uprated L5P Dmax among other things. Also slight design updates on the outside. Supposedly all the features the existing trucks are missing like adaptive cruise control, etc.

I’d wait for those to come out. If nothing else it will drive deals on the 2023 and older models still on the lots if you prefer not to pay the most for the latest.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Not pay outs. Premiums are significantly higher on Fords than other brands of trucks. Repair costs are higher on Fords.
This is correct. I didn’t bother to price insurance before I bought my new Ford. Never crossed my mind. All I know is when my wife ( who does insurance) added my truck to the policy. All I heard down the hallway was Holly shit you better really like that truck! I said how much. She said I’m not telling you because it will be for sale.

She knows me.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
This is correct. I didn’t bother to price insurance before I bought my new Ford. Never crossed my mind. All I know is when my wife ( who does insurance) added my truck to the policy. All I heard down the hallway was Holly shit you better really like that truck! I said how much. She said I’m not telling you because it will be for sale.

She knows me.

The allowed labor rate to repair a Ford truck is almost double of other vehicles. Also, the body shop is supposed to have a separate space or dedicated repair area. Not allowed to have grinding chips from aluminum in the same area as steel. Technicians need to be certified by Ford or I-Car to work on the trucks. I think it is BS personally, but Ford and the insurance companies require it.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Not pay outs. Premiums are significantly higher on Fords than other brands of trucks. Repair costs are higher on Fords.
I've owned an insurance agency for 15 yrs, been in the industry for 27, repairs are not always more. Labor rates are capped by all insurance companies and NOT higher due to the aluminum. I had my bedside replaced and Ford called for rivets not welding. Parts across ALL brands are through the roof not just Ford.

And just for fun I ran a 22 F250 Lariat 4wd Crew Diesel VS 22 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 4wd Crew Diesel and the Chevy was more by $36 per year. You have to look at all coverages, Collison alone Chevy was $110 more per year but the Liability was more on the FORD. Each insurance company has there own Insurance Rate Groups on vehicles based on their experience.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Are you lifting it? If so ford or dodge all day. IFS on Chevy just sucks ass for lifts unless you want to change hubs every 15-40k miles depends on tire size.
Fords and dodges straight axles will get 150k miles or more on factory hubs with 38in tires
stock height I still prefer a ford over chevy/gmc
If you don’t spend much time driving either will be fine. But to me chevys are more like a car inside, legs stretched out in front.
fords and dodges higher seats and or cab room. Where you can sit with legs nearly at a 90 or lower seat and stretch out legs. Carli lift even if small will make ride smooooove

Englewood

Reaction score
GM is coming out with a significant 2024 model upgrade for the HD trucks. New interiors and uprated L5P Dmax among other things. Also slight design updates on the outside. Supposedly all the features the existing trucks are missing like adaptive cruise control, etc.

I’d wait for those to come out. If nothing else it will drive deals on the 2023 and older models still on the lots if you prefer not to pay the most for the latest.
I actually ordered one today. I got in on the first batch and will be arriving in May/June.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I've owned an insurance agency for 15 yrs, been in the industry for 27, repairs are not always more. Labor rates are capped by all insurance companies and NOT higher due to the aluminum. I had my bedside replaced and Ford called for rivets not welding. Parts across ALL brands are through the roof not just Ford.

And just for fun I ran a 22 F250 Lariat 4wd Crew Diesel VS 22 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 4wd Crew Diesel and the Chevy was more by $36 per year. You have to look at all coverages, Collison alone Chevy was $110 more per year but the Liability was more on the FORD. Each insurance company has there own Insurance Rate Groups on vehicles based on their experience.

Well State Farm was paying $ 52.00 per hour on steel trucks four years ago when I retired. They set the labor rate at $ 125.00 per hour on Ford aluminum trucks. You are correct nothing is welded on repairs for the new Fords. All glue and rivets. The rivet is a Ford only rivet, and the bedside takes about eighty of them. The shaft of the rivet has a teflon sleeve to minimize electrolysis between the dissimilar metals. Several insureds were fighting over diminished value or for an appearance allowance because the large rivets are visible. Had one insured that Auto Club eventually replaced the bed assembly over the rivet issue. I am not against Fords, and personally had several Ford tow trucks. I am just not a fan of the repair process and additional costs associated with the trucks.

boatpi

Reaction score
Keep in mind several considerations that could cost you $$. A 3/4 ton uses in general different axle ratios, on Ford often 3.42 or 3.73. While F 350 and others use up to 4.30. Unless you are planning on increasing the tire diameter, I would stick to 3/4 ton. Less registration costs, much higher MPG. Add those huge tires, MPG is in the tank X100. My last F 250 with 3.42, electronic locking 4X4 as the newer diesel does not need a 3.73 due to lower torque curve unless you tow 20K, was 17-18 MPG unloaded. Pulled like a beast.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Keep in mind several considerations that could cost you $$. A 3/4 ton uses in general different axle ratios, on Ford often 3.42 or 3.73. While F 350 and others use up to 4.30. Unless you are planning on increasing the tire diameter, I would stick to 3/4 ton. Less registration costs, much higher MPG. Add those huge tires, MPG is in the tank X100. My last F 250 with 3.42, electronic locking 4X4 as the newer diesel does not need a 3.73 due to lower torque curve unless you tow 20K, was 17-18 MPG unloaded. Pulled like a beast.

Looks like he ordered a Chevy. Pretty confident you can not get the 4:30 gears with the diesel. That might change when you go up to f450.

But you have a point with f250 registration costs. And for those of you looking at super duties. If you buy a gasser and order 4:30 gears you get the same axle and leaf pack as the f350. Essentially you have a f350 with f250 badges. This is well discussed on the tremor forums because all tremors with the 7.3 automatically come with 4:30. So a f250 & f350 tremor with the 7.3 is the exact same truck.

When I got my truck I was surprised to see that overload leafs on my f250. So I started googling to find out what was up. Really glad I ordered 4:30😎

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Well State Farm was paying $ 52.00 per hour on steel trucks four years ago when I retired. They set the labor rate at $ 125.00 per hour on Ford aluminum trucks. You are correct nothing is welded on repairs for the new Fords. All glue and rivets. The rivet is a Ford only rivet, and the bedside takes about eighty of them. The shaft of the rivet has a teflon sleeve to minimize electrolysis between the dissimilar metals. Several insureds were fighting over diminished value or for an appearance allowance because the large rivets are visible. Had one insured that Auto Club eventually replaced the bed assembly over the rivet issue. I am not against Fords, and personally had several Ford tow trucks. I am just not a fan of the repair process and additional costs associated with the trucks.
Labor rates were only supposed to apply when actual welding was taking place. I'm noticing shops are just replacing panels rather than deal with it. 100% agree, the rivets looked horrendous. I asked the body shop owner as a favor (since I send tons of work his way) please just rosebud and grind it, make it look factory. Can't believe how bad they look 😳