WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New/er Truck Purchase Opinions Needed

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
All right... time to have a down right nasty opinion fest.

On the chance that my truck is not going to be found... I will have to get another one. I am dreading the thought of buying something as old as mine was without knowing all of the details, which pretty much puts me in the direction of a newer (less that 10 years old) truck.

I've already consulted with a very knowledgeable guy who pointed out benefits of all of the three major brands and in short this is where I'm at.

Ford 6.7 only, and preferably 2015 or up

RAM/Dodge, Cummins with the newer style front end (I thinking again 2015 - 2016 and up)

Chevy/GMC... Mehhhh don't really know other than stay away from the early 2000

Let's hear from the experts. I'm not totally opposed to a gasser, but am strongly leaning towards another diesel based on my towing needs 15,500 dry 37' 5th wheel.

If you are going to post, I'd like to hear the Pro's, Con's, and Milage you guys are getting. My requirements, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Big ass trailer...go diesel.
Being in Ca, you'll have DEF stuff to deal with. Look into the big 3 and who has the least threads on the web.
You're not super heavy everyday, family camp and boat hauling. See what interior design and styles work for the family and needs.
All three of the diesels will serve you well with what it needs to do. See if buddies have models you can drive, for ride and turning radius.

Sorry you have to be looking though:(

Reactions: t&y

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Price range? And do you want to be legal if you hit a scale? To be legal IMO, you need a dually with that kinda weight. Will the right SRW truck tow it and be over on the RAWR, sure.

No 2500s with that size trailer. 3500 only.

I would look for the cleanest 06-07 Duramax I could find. I did for 18 months before I bought my ‘16 CTD new, but I’ve seen about a dozen clean examples on RDP in the last 2 years. I’m not buying a used diesel from a complete stranger- RDP classifieds give me a bit of comfort- most of us maintain our shit right.

Also, I’m not going to pay new truck money for a used truck. I paid less for my Ram than many of the 100k mile used trucks I saw for sale. If you don’t need all of the bells and whistles, you could be into a new Ram 3500 with Aisin trans for under 50k OTD if you shop around.

I don’t think there’s a big gap between any of the big 3- pick the cleanest well documented truck that you like and go with it. They are either lemons or solid ass trucks,
I don’t seem to see much in-between. I chose Ram for a straight axle and the CTD. I regret getting the 2500 but it was a steal and available,
Would have been 10k more for a duramax in the same flavor. I’m happy to give up ass warmers and leather to save on the payment. Plus, these new trucks are sensitive to maintenance, ignore simple shit like fuel filters and end up needing 10k in injector pump and associated parts. I’d rather pay up front and know what I have.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Towing? Get the diesel. Unless you enjoy stopping for gas every hour or so! Been there done that. No thanks.

Izusu? Nope

Dodge? OC just flew to Idaho and picked up a brand new one Way cheaper than anyone here would sell him one for. He's Totally stoked with it!

It's no secret I'm a Ford fan. I'll always go that direction every time (when it comes to trucks anyways). You already know what engine to get.

jetur

Reaction score
6.7 powerstroke all the way. I have a fleet and have run them all the way to 200k mi. in dirt all day. The worst repair we have done is a water pump. Stock tires they get 16-18 mpg with the older six speed tranny. If you program it, the tranny will act up around 150k mi. We never replaced a tranny just changed oil and kept going. (I think it has something to do with changing the factory shift points)

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My bad. 14,165 according to the tag on the side of the RV. Original truck was s SRW but it definitely put the squat on the thing when hooked up.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Iv got 2016 Ram 2500 SRW CC LB 4x4 lift on 35in tires and airbags
I’m mixed on this. I love the truck buuuuut (see below)
Mileage all depends on driving habits, can be great or shitty. Towing or not
I tow 10-15k lbs pretty often
It’s been a pretty expensive relationship so far
1) Lost Axle seal at 25k miles range, covered under warranty but not my brakes that had to be replaced prematurely wasted front from doing all the work and rears from oil leaking onto them.
2) 50k miles trans solenoid warranty
3) 103k miles trans solenoid again, was a fight but they covered under warranty that was now non existent on a 2 year truck
4) 108k miles range front wheel hubs trashed
5) 155k miles trans solenoid again, this time they upgraded to the recall solenoid used in later models but apparently 2016 wasn’t part of. And no warranty out of pocket
6) 160k over flow tank cracked
7) 170k egr cooler replace
8) 180k transmission complete replace, trans cooler replace etc...

Those are just the repairs that stand out.

If you tow heavy often go 3500 DRW w aison trans. New fords look nice id roll one of them too.

Chevy/gmc if your lifting is a waste of money. No lift, equally as nice.

Icky

Reaction score
Iv got 2016 Ram 2500 SRW CC LB 4x4 lift on 35in tires and airbags
I’m mixed on this. I love the truck buuuuut (see below)
Mileage all depends on driving habits, can be great or shitty. Towing or not
I tow 10-15k lbs pretty often
It’s been a pretty expensive relationship so far
1) Lost Axle seal at 25k miles range, covered under warranty but not my brakes that had to be replaced prematurely wasted front from doing all the work and rears from oil leaking onto them.
2) 50k miles trans solenoid warranty
3) 103k miles trans solenoid again, was a fight but they covered under warranty that was now non existent on a 2 year truck
4) 108k miles range front wheel hubs trashed
5) 155k miles trans solenoid again, this time they upgraded to the recall solenoid used in later models but apparently 2016 wasn’t part of. And no warranty out of pocket
6) 160k over flow tank cracked
7) 170k egr cooler replace
8) 180k transmission complete replace, trans cooler replace etc...

Those are just the repairs that stand out.

If you tow heavy often go 3500 DRW w aison trans. New fords look nice id roll one of them too.

Chevy/gmc if your lifting is a waste of money. No lift, equally as nice.
My 2013 mega cab hasn't had any of those problems :D

hallett21

Reaction score
2016 3500 4x4 SRW ram with aisin transmission. 85k miles. Bought it in 2017.

No problems so far. I pull 10-12k lbs 3-4 times a month at a minimum.

Gas mileage is pretty much 13-14 over the life of the truck.
IMG_3848.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
My 2013 mega cab hasn't had any of those problems :D
That’s because it’s driven buy your lady with low miles, and brother in law that replaces shit to make his sister safe. Must be nice, lol

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
2016 3500 4x4 SRW ram with aisin transmission. 85k miles. Bought it in 2017.

No problems so far. I pull 10-12k lbs 3-4 times a month at a minimum.

Gas mileage is pretty much 13-14 over the life of the truck. View attachment 841586

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arent those lil yard trailers only like 7-8k lbs fully loaded.
We ain’t talkin dick sizes you don’t have to lie to kick it. Lol

Icky

Reaction score
That’s because it’s driven buy your lady with low miles, and brother in law that replaces shit to make his sister safe. Must be nice, lol
She drives the Durango now ;) it's our mini van. Ive been driving it for work, you know hauling my laptop around :D

I'm pretty sure you have the same mechanic

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Whatever brand you decide, go dually. Make sure she has wide hips and a nice fat ass!

Side benefit of dually ownership. I'm down at least 10lbs since I don't fit in the drive-thrus.

2019 F-350 Leveled (front 2") on 37's Stock wheels.

IMG_5404.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'll take DEF over excessive EGR.
BTW Friends with the 2020 Powerstrokes are reporting they run really hot in cool weather. They haven't yet towed in hot weather so,,,,,
Dmax's are cold blooded engine and trans.
I ain't knocking Ford I love 'em.
Jus' Sayin'.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I'll take DEF over excessive EGR.
DEF also allows optimum injection timing. I initially hated the stuff, and bet against it, but it's pretty much magic. BTW, diesel engine career; 40 years. With that noted, I'd probably go gas. Ducking!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I haven’t listed it yet but I have a 2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Lariat dually with 30k miles I might be getting rid of. Loaded with leather seats, sunroof, lineX’d bed with factory 5th wheel option.

Let me know if you’re interested.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Choose your poison and keep it under warranty. With how complicated they have gotten, i don't think i'd own a new one without a warranty. They all have similar issues at this point, mostly related to the fuel delivery systems and emissions components dying due to sheer complexity, lack of sulfer in the fuels, and the extreme pressure and demands placed on the fuel systems. As far as sales prices, Dodge is usually cheaper, Ford most expensive. All of them will pull a 18k loaded 5th wheel like a dream.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Suuuuuure.. but did you have to stop???? :rolleyes:
Nah, I just turned on my flashers and ran every red light, while laying on the horn and yelling "get out of my way". Everybody else is running red lights these days, Why not?

Those are tandem duals under that trailer, and it's rated for 26k. It stops just fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Warranty is always a plus
I’d advise one ton and don’t worry about mpg. They will all drink when towing.
I’ve heard the complaints of 11-14 6.7 fords but have not seen them in the 100 or so contractor trucks I’ve been around.
My 11’ blew a fuel pump at 49k but no doubt was bad fuel from a cheap gas station . 0 issues since at 80k miles.
I like solid front axles and DEF tanks not hanging on the ground so I stuck to Ram and Ford on my last search.

Aisin Trans if you go Ram. More fun off the line if you go Ford. Plenty of both out there to choose from in used market.
Have fun in your search.
The rear cab space is noticeably less in the 10-13’ GM trucks vs the other two. GM caught Up after that.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
DEF is nationwide. Almost global.
What I meant was the removal and smog aspect.
So far, my only issues with DEF have been the expense of repairs or limp mode issues. My stuff is too old, but worked on an MDT with some employee stupidity...new pump, injector and decomp chamber was pricey. Haven't seen much issue with light duty stuff, but most guys up here ditch that and egr stuff pretty quick.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
How many miles do you use it?

If not a lot, buy a gas. The extra cost and mainatance of a diesel us not worth it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have not heard much about the new 6.6 and 7.3 gassers. But at 15,500 I would not even consider a gas truck. I have a newer 1 driving it now with a dump trailer loaded with railroad ties. Even the v10 F550 I had was a dog with that size load.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have not heard much about the new 6.6 and 7.3 gassers. But at 15,500 I would not even consider a gas truck. I have a newer 1 driving it now with a dump trailer loaded with railroad ties. Even the v10 F550 I had was a dog with that size load.

I LOLed when you said V10. It is a dog unloaded :) I'm still interested to see what the deal is with the new 7.3.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I haven’t listed it yet but I have a 2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Lariat dually with 30k miles I might be getting rid of. Loaded with leather seats, sunroof, lineX’d bed with factory 5th wheel option.

@t&y

CLdrinker

Reaction score
For commercial use I agree do t even look at gassers. But I will tell you my 6.4 6 speed impresses me allot and my combo is weaker than the new 6.6 and 7.3 offerings with 10speeds must be plenty capable for recreational use.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I might be......

NicPaus

Reaction score
That was 15k empty. Will be over 18k loaded I imagine
Going up the grapevine or Chiriaco will be a good test. I was passing every one towing down PCH but only about 8k behind me hit the hill to the job site and felt like the trailer brake engaged.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Last I checked, Ca. Nails us buying new out of state (Idaho)
7k miles or more need to be on odometer to not pay Ca. Extra
Sure hope that has changed?

My pal OC got it done somehow. He is in love with his new Dodge! LoL

JFMFG

Reaction score
Go diesel with that big ass trailer personally a GM guy ford makes a damn good work truck though. Never been a fan of dodge the Cummins motor is great but heard the truck itself falls apart after a while good luck with the search.