WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Guy Looking For Advice on a 24' - 27' Cat

RiverCat

Reaction score
Hey all. Another new guy from Orange County here. I've been reading RDP threads behind the scenes for quite some time now, and finally decided to join now that my wife and I are actively looking for our first boat.

I grew up on Eliminator and DCB cats so naturally I have a bit of an allegiance to them, but I also love what Howard and Nordic are doing.

We've got two young kids, and we'd like enough room to have a couple others on the boat from time to time so an open bow is a must. Between the boat market being through the roof right now and me being really particular, I'm struggling to find something on the used market that checks the boxes. I've looked every day for a couple months now. The few boats that have met my criteria had some wild gelcoat schemes that I (mostly the wife) couldn't live with, or they have been far north of $100k.

Although this stuff is not new to me, I've still got a lot to learn and would appreciate your feedback and opinions. Plus, who doesn't like spending someone else's money? :cool:

Budget: ~$85k
Paying cash and trying to avoid a loan.

Size: 24ft - 27ft
I think 25' - 26' would be perfect. The right 24' could work, and I don't really want to go beyond a 27' as I'd likely need (want) more power to push it. Storage space and cost of insurance becomes more of a factor as well.

Open bow
Preferably walk through but the right boat with a mcob wouldn't stop me

Open to I/B or O/B power
I enjoy the sound of a healthy I/B, but I'm open to either. If it's an I/B, I'd like a blue top Merc 500 - 600 as the goal is reliable power. If it cruises in the 70's with ease and can get into the 80's, I'm happy. I'm afraid I'd regret anything with a 496, but maybe I have to consider it with my budget...?

Boats on my radar. Am I missing anything?
- Eliminator Daytona 25'
- DCB Mach26
- DCB F26
- Nordic 24sx - Only 24' boat I've seen that would work. Great with a whacker and the back seats moved back for extra cabin space!
- Howard 255 sport deck - Haven't seen any used, and new is too expensive
- Nordic Thor 27'
- Shockwave 26'

Great boat, but the gelcoat doesn't pass the wife test: https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...or-25-daytona-wtob-mercury-racing-300xss.254/

Seems like a good option. Still a touch high on price: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1149225218790731

Love this boat. Wondering if I can find one closer to my budget. Maybe one with a 300R? https://legendperformancemarine.com/2019-nordic-24sx-outboard/fgulh92ebesuzq0nsikwln0pcqhl08

About perfect, just over my budget: https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/classifieds/2008-dcb-f26-open-bow.210/

Another good one, but over budget: https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/classifieds/2008-dcb-f26-open-bow-mercury-racing-525.255/

Thanks!

Last edited:

renodaytona

Reaction score
Welcome to the madness. Good luck on your search, I'm sure the right one will pop up soon just be ready to make the deal before someone else jumps on it.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
There is a 2000 28 Daytona listed here that is a closed bow but surely will fit your family as they are huge inside.

RiverCat

Reaction score
There is a 2000 28 Daytona listed here that is a closed bow but surely will fit your family as they are huge inside.

Appreciate the lead. Closed bow would work for my family of four no problem, but I don't see how it would work for 7 - 8 ppl (which I'm sure will happen quite often).

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Personally, the 25 Daytona with the OB’s is worth going and looking at. Take the wife etc, let her see in person. I’m not into that much purple or the flames, however that boat is absolutely gorgeous in person and with the recent interior update it’s beyond gorgeous. The Blue and Green F26 you linked to recently sold........... to me.

RiverCat

Reaction score
Personally, the 25 Daytona with the OB’s is worth going and looking at. Take the wife etc, let her see in person. I’m not into that much purple or the flames, however that boat is absolutely gorgeous in person and with the recent interior update it’s beyond gorgeous. The Blue and Green F26 you linked to recently sold........... to me.

Well played, that is a killer boat!

In regards to the 25' Daytona I linked... I'm with ya. It is damn near perfect on paper, but the wife is a hard no on the gelcoat and I understand where she's coming from.

Maybe I haven't been looking long enough, but In this current market it seems the boats in my sights are priced in the $100-120k range (although I don't know what they are closing out at). Is that my reality? Not willing to go that high, nor am I willing to pay good money for a boat I'm not excited about. This must be the boat madness they speak of.

Last edited: