WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Hallett 255

HallettBill

Reaction score
Started the Gel process this morning.i'll post pics of the progress.
Open Bow
Mercury Racing 520
Extended swim platform
Dual Hydraulic steering
3 Batteries with built in charger
Estimated Delivery March 2016 View attachment 457542 image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

240Hallett

Reaction score
Looks good so far. Are those 3 different graphic designs or different stages. Since its going to have the bigger swim step, will it still have the pocket for the telescoping ladder? Congratulations!!

HallettBill

Reaction score
Middle design was the winner, Kris came up with 20 for us to choose from and we liked this one best. The pocket for the ladder remains, but as a fixed stainless hand hold and a storage compartment. Also went with a finished engine compartment.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Nice meeting you and the family today,Bill.:thumbsup

Here's a couple of shots from Wednesday doing the deck.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
And here are some shots from today's progress. image.jpg image.jpg

The 1/8" tape you guys saw going on the mold this morning was simply guide tape representing the pinstripe.
After laying out both sides the next step was to go around it all with 1/4" fine line tape.This is the tape that will be sprayed against to make the pinstripe.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Next step,mask off separate areas.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
image.jpg
Final step of masking process.Cover up the pinstripe.

This leaves the running surface exposed and will be color #1 going into the mold.Second color will be pinstripe color.

Internet service is shoty over there so I won't be able to post pics tomorrow in real time.
Expect a photo dump tomorrow evening.

fmo24

Reaction score
What is the pan or tray in the last photo? A map or guide of some sort?
and another dumb question but how much tape do you use on a typical 3 or 4 color hull?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What is the pan or tray in the last photo? A map or guide of some sort?
and another dumb question but how much tape do you use on a typical 3 or 4 color hull?
The pan is the underside of the engine hatch.Full upholstery on the top side,the underside will have a finish as nice as the rest of the exterior of the boat.

And on the tape,it varies quite a bit depending on length of the boat and complexity of design.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Ok then.
Battery charged,home from the shop,washed the days grit free,cold beer time.:cool

Next step of the process,blue stripe sprayed,and charcoal fade exposed. image.jpg image.jpg

The charcoal fade gets a portion of House of Kolor silver Pearl powder.
I didn't take pics of it but both blue fades get a dose of HOK Lazuli Blue powder.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
With the charcoal shot the last of the tape and masking can be removed,exposing the rest of the mold. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The sides of the boat will be a dove gray fading back to the gray #1 with a load of HOK Ice Pearl.The fade will be subtle,the Ice Pearl will glint with the sun. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The final step,cover the whole thing in black.This aids the laminators in the lamination process that will happen tomorrow and throughout the week.The black backdrop helps them see air voids as they lay down the wetted out glass.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A couple more shots.
This shows a typical "point".Two pieces of fine line tape cut to get the point,then sprayed over and tape pulled.Obviously doing this one piece overlaps another.Where that overlap is creates a small "tunnel" for lack of a better term.When sprayed,the gelcoat manages to get into that tunnel creating that little divot we see. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

So to fix it we break out our trusty Mack 00 pinstripe sword and swipe it away before the gel hardens.
This is done on every single point in the design.

Backlash

Reaction score
Guys, if you are fortunate enough to be reading this thread, please know that you are witnessing artwork and a talent level unmatched in this industry. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to share this with all of us. I'm sure the new owners are thrilled with the updates too.

Nice job Sir!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Hey,HallettBill?
Do we have to call Jerry and bust his chops about some lamination pics?:cool

HallettBill

Reaction score
For sure, I'll stop by on my way home from the airport to see if he has anything I can post.
Also Larry, thank you for the great job with the gel. You nailed it, and I can't wait to see it come out of the mold.

HallettBill

Reaction score
Some new pictures taken after vacuum bagging.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 173

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Gelcoater, you do some absolutely amazing work! How long have you been taping and spraying at Hallett?

retaocleg

Reaction score
Guys, if you are fortunate enough to be reading this thread, please know that you are witnessing artwork and a talent level unmatched in this industry. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to share this with all of us. I'm sure the new owners are thrilled with the updates too.

Nice job Sir!

larry gets my vote........good job fellas:thumbsup

HallettBill

Reaction score
Got back from London and found my next Hallett out if the mold. They're prepping the engine compartment for gel coating on Monday, then over to rigging a week later, image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Looks amazing bill. Can't wait to see it. DS 2016? Did you sell your other Hallett ?

HallettBill

Reaction score
Hallett's selling it for me, and breaking it in at desert storm sounds good.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Damn that looks nice! Good choice on the gray Bill.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
The Gelcoating process is simply amazing. Hard to imagine how anyone can remember what tape to pull and what color to spray next, especially from one day to the next. Good job.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The Gelcoating process is simply amazing. Hard to imagine how anyone can remember what tape to pull and what color to spray next, especially from one day to the next. Good job.

Right?! Such a talent!!!

HallettBill

Reaction score
Engine compartment gel is complete, another day or two of buffing and it will be over to rig.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 188

HallettBill

Reaction score
Thinking about this Isotta steering wheel, anyone have any experience with this one?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 133

Singleton

Reaction score
Have that wheel, but in carbon fiber in my Ultra. Really pops if chrome bezels on the gauges

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
serious question, do you have to have a ton of skill like a painter to shoot gelcoat in a mold? it seems like typical paint problems like runs, etc dont exist in mold gelcoat as its mated up against a surface polished to perfection. in a sense no matter if you hold down the gun for 10 seconds when its popped that surface will always be glass... no? is it just experience to know exactly how thick its sprayed or do you use a gauge of some sort to make sure you have enough thickness in areas?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
serious question, do you have to have a ton of skill like a painter to shoot gelcoat in a mold? it seems like typical paint problems like runs, etc dont exist in mold gelcoat as its mated up against a surface polished to perfection. in a sense no matter if you hold down the gun for 10 seconds when its popped that surface will always be glass... no? is it just experience to know exactly how thick its sprayed or do you use a gauge of some sort to make sure you have enough thickness in areas?
:D
I was going to go into an explanation for your questions but will simply say this.
I could write a book on how to do this stuff,and anyone who reads it will probably still fail their first few attempts.

Reactions: 138

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
:D
I was going to go into an explanation for your questions but will simply say this.
I could write a book on how to do this stuff,and anyone who reads it will probably still fail their first few attempts.

not discounting your skill and experience AT ALL. the stuff you guys do amazes me. i think you did start a thread on here and im pretty sure i was reading chinese. ;)

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
How did you extend the swim step? In the mold?

Boat looks great. Hope to see it at DS.

HallettBill

Reaction score
Another company makes the extended swim step and Hallett provides the Gelcoat to make sure the color stays consistent.