WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Home Build-North Texas

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
FYI. Light tile grout on the floor sucks. Better to go darker.
Guessing it gets dirty? Below is where we are right now.
Floor with grout.png

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
@Ace in the Hole do you have the TX pics handy?

Never go light on the grout...you will regret it later..especially if it becomes a rental. This one will be one come may. Angle of the photo makes the grout lines look unequal..they are all the same.

Havasu (the previous pics) are lighter...but that isn't a full time house...no one wears shoes inside really either there. Texas My boots stay on all day, till I shower at night so dark it was.

Attachments

• tempImageRpWt3K.png
    tempImageRpWt3K.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Never go light on the grout...you will regret it later..especially if it becomes a rental. This one will be one come may. Angle of the photo makes the grout lines look unequal..they are all the same.

Havasu (the previous pics) are lighter...but that isn't a full time house...no one wears shoes inside really either there. Texas My boots stay on all day, till I shower at night so dark it was.
That tile looks amazing. Thanks!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
A few updates on the build. Slowly but surely.
1. We have our electrical meeting scheduled through zoom at the end of the week. Nervous to see what this costs me...
2. Still waiting on pricing for the builder items. "Shiplap, built-in for TV equipment, butler's pantry, etc.
3. Received updated pricing for taking the tile to the ceiling, taking the fireplace to the ceiling, special tile pricing, etc. I decided to go without the floor mount tub filler as $3k was just too much to fill a tub. The standing tub is already a $2k upgrade. We can still do a waterfall or a non-waterfall island. My initial feeling is we will keep it and eat the $2k. I switched out the hex tile in the master shower for a smaller hex tile that looks damn near the same. That small change saved us over $3k. I'm debating on removing the niches for the guest bathrooms. Not sure if I'll go with the standard shelves.
4. Received word that we WOULD get some credit by installing our own appliances. I sent the specs to the builder to ensure we were OK before proceeding on buying.

1. General Selection 10.5.21.JPG

2. Kitchen&Nook 10.5.21.JPG

3. Kitchen Island 10.5.21.JPG

4. Main bath 10.5.21.JPG

5. Powder and Bath 2 10.5.21.JPG

6. Bath 3. Utility. Entry. Extended Entry 10.5.21.JPG

7. Dinind Room .Family. Study. Hall. Media. Main bedroom.JPG

8. Main bed closet. Bed 2. Bed 3. Bed 4. Total 10.5.21.JPG

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
All right, we have some fun additions today. We just finished our 2-hour electrical meeting and I may have gone a little overboard. :) I was hoping for $10k and came out at $17k Anything I don't need that can be done later? Anything I'm missing?

-I think uplights could be done later. Thoughts?
-That 220V for the charger seems expensive. "My pops and I put in the one at my current house in less than 2 hours..possibly less than an hour"
-Did I go overboard on can lights?
-Those LED puck lights for the glass cabinets at the ceiling seem way overpriced. Thoughts?
-With a pool, Tesla, and all-electric appliances a 400A service seems like a good idea. Thoughts?

Electrical Plan 10.6.21.JPG

Design notes and low voltage 10.6.21.JPG

Electrical Options 10.6.21.JPG

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
damn. We did thin led light strips under cabinets form amazon for $60 between the wine cabinets and kitchen

The can prices are high. Instead of cans do the shallow mount all in one leds then they just drop a wire no boxes or buckets needed., They have eyeballs for sloped ceilings etc. they are getting you for can housing trim and bulb. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-311635122-_-313556973-_-N see if they do something along these lines. lot less total cost.

Instead of the digital timer switch do a smart switch for the soffit lights have them put a normal switch in and get the switch. 30-40dollars then use the app to control it. my friend runs his whole house basically off the wifi switches. Christmas decor and all. https://www.wemo.com/ Im in the process of adding 6 soffit lights to my place, 120 in lights and then 30 for switch.

Looks like missing camera at front door area. I like a nice close up pic of people when under my porch. Also for camera system why not wireless? if run blink be about 100 a camera spot, there are others out there just an idea.

If brick finish uplights i would have done during rough in due to boxes and exterior walls.
No such thing as overboard on cans lol, mu whole house is cans except breakfast light fixture, formal dining fixture, and ceiling fans lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
damn. We did thin led light strips under cabinets form amazon for $60 between the wine cabinets and kitchen

The can prices are high. Instead of cans do the shallow mount all in one leds then they just drop a wire no boxes or buckets needed., They have eyeballs for sloped ceilings etc. they are getting you for can housing trim and bulb. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-311635122-_-313556973-_-N see if they do something along these lines. lot less total cost.

Instead of the digital timer switch do a smart switch for the soffit lights have them put a normal switch in and get the switch. 30-40dollars then use the app to control it. my friend runs his whole house basically off the wifi switches. Christmas decor and all. https://www.wemo.com/ Im in the process of adding 6 soffit lights to my place, 120 in lights and then 30 for switch.

Looks like missing camera at front door area. I like a nice close up pic of people when under my porch. Also for camera system why not wireless? if run blink be about 100 a camera spot, there are others out there just an idea.

If brick finish uplights i would have done during rough in due to boxes and exterior walls.
No such thing as overboard on cans lol, mu whole house is cans except breakfast light fixture, formal dining fixture, and ceiling fans lol
Luckily under cabinet lighting is included. I'm pretty sure I could light the upper cabinets for way, way less than they are charging.

I'll see what power drops would cost. I've installed can lights in the past, and it's not a huge deal unless you're towards the outer edge of the house. I just really don't want a ton of projects after I move in.

That's a good call on the digital switch. I'll change that.

I think I'll add a ring for the door. I'll ask if the doorbell is powered. I've gone back and forth on wired vs. wireless for security cameras. I've always had Nest and Wyze and haven't been impressed. Nest is pretty good with motion detection, but the monthly fees are killer when adding a bunch of cameras. Wyze is cheap, but their detection settings are terrible. Apparently, it's a lot easier to "hack" wireless cameras so I was thinking about going wired this time.

The uplights are on the house. I pitched the idea of running landscape lighting in the planters pointed up at the house to my wife and that was voted down pretty quickly. I think those are here to stay.

Joe mama

Reaction score
The price of 50A branch circuit for chargers etc seems high, but then again maybe the service panel is in the back forty. Shit IDK I think 75% of that shit is overpriced, especially in the rough stage. I Guess everything is bigger in Texas.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
The price of 50A branch circuit for chargers etc seems high, but then again maybe the service panel is in the back forty. Shit IDK I think 75% of that shit is overpriced, especially in the rough stage. I Guess everything is bigger in Texas.

The panel is on the outside of the garage wall at the top of the page. Going through the wall and installing a box would be extremely simple for me. The only reason I'm considering this as a builder upgrade is I would have to get to work on this immediately if I wanted to drive the car. After a 3 day drive, I'm not sure I'd want to jump into something like that right away. Something to think about though....

I agree. If you think that's overpriced, look above at the design shit. lol

Joe mama

Reaction score
Throw a temp pigtail off a 50A 2pole breaker(gfci) if following 2021nec and call it a day. If it’s close to the panel that price is a joke IMO. If I’m doing the job that’s a great price lol.

Joe mama

Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a new place near the spectrum in Irvine and all the units come with a 1” smurf tube to a box in the garage for future charger. It was perfect for adding his charger. In and out like a short dick.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a new place near the spectrum in Irvine and all the units come with a 1” smurf tube to a box in the garage for future charger. It was perfect for adding his charger. In and out like a short dick.
Just down the road from me, and I don’t doubt it. Everyone drives a Tesla around here. 5 on my little cul-de-sac. That’s what I did at my house, stub through the back of the panel, add a box, and voila.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Just down the road from me, and I don’t doubt it. Everyone drives a Tesla around here. 5 on my little cul-de-sac. That’s what I did at my house, stub through the back of the panel, add a box, and voila.
Been watching your thread and I’m sure your making a good move. All my friends are starting to fly the coop so to speak. Good luck with your build and thanks for posting your adventure.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Yesterday was a big day. Signed off on the electrical, put the deposit down on the appliances, signed off on the building upgrades, and have one item outstanding on the design. Almost time to start building.

Electrical
-Decided to put 4 cans in every room
-Got rid of the lighting in the seeded glass uppers
-Moved the 220v stub out to the back corner of the house, which is where the dedicated gas line stub will be
-Changed the digital switch to a normal switch
-Decided to keep the 220V tesla plug on the far garage. Easy job, but not worth my time

Appliances
1634140977197.png

We also prepaid for installation after we close.

Building
-I stuck with blown-in insulation in the ceiling. Batted was almost $2k more
-Nixed the mud bench in the utility room as I don't know if there will be enough room for the standing freezer, washer, and dryer. I'll put one in after if there is.
-Killed the shiplap in the family room. I'll do that myself. I think they wanted over $3,500
-Added a window seat bench in my wife's office. "She's always wanted one, even though I'm sure it will never be used"
-Still need pricing on the cabinet faces for the fridges
-Still need the pricing to extend the fence once we get to the pre-drywall meeting

Design
-Killed my freestanding fill. I couldn't pay $3k to fill my tub, when I already paid $2k for the tub itself. Next house
-Decided to take the fireplace stone to the ceiling and add Leuders limestone for the hearth
-Kept the niches
-Waiting on pricing to put a Schleuter edge on the master shower. Unfinished edges really bother me for some reason

Wife wants the lower cabinets painted a different color than offered so that and the hardware will be done after closing. We are well over budget, but my personality doesn't allow many concessions. It's not a dream home, but it also isn't a shoddy fixer-upper in an OK neighborhood that I'd be getting for this price in OC. I'm pretty happy with the design, but we will see what it looks like in the end.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I can see killing the tub filler...just the fixture on ours was like $1850+another like $300 for the rough in mount fixture...its been used by a 16 month old all of 7 times when we are in Havasu. This was defiantly a one time thing..looks cool but doubt we do it ever again. I see them more in vacation homes than primary (at least from my viewpoint)...more of a look thing than functionality.

What is the R rating on the blown in? You can always add more later and it's not hard to do if you wind up having hot spots.

Sounds like you've made a lot of headway!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I can see killing the tub filler...just the fixture on ours was like $1850+another like $300 for the rough in mount fixture...its been used by a 16 month old all of 7 times when we are in Havasu. This was defiantly a one time thing..looks cool but doubt we do it ever again. I see them more in vacation homes than primary (at least from my viewpoint)...more of a look thing than functionality.

What is the R rating on the blown in? You can always add more later and it's not hard to do if you wind up having hot spots.

Sounds like you've made a lot of headway!
It's definitely for looks. I've seen some wall mount waterfall fixtures that could be just as cool on the next build.

Blown-in insulation will be R-38. It will lose some R-value when I compress it with the plywood for storage, but I can deal with that. What's the latest with your possible move?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
It's definitely for looks. I've seen some wall mount waterfall fixtures that could be just as cool on the next build.

Blown-in insulation will be R-38. It will lose some R-value when I compress it with the plywood for storage, but I can deal with that. What's the latest with your possible move?

before you lay the plywood lmk and Ill UPS you a roll of stuff to put between it and the insulation that will negate that impact and add an other R-13 rating for what you have to sweep away etc.

Holding pattern at the moment.. Likely no decisions going to be made before February at this point. There is a licensing change that will impact my wife that takes effect next year that has thrown a wrench into some things. I've been working remote, and doing some development work since my non-compete is up. Once we see how the licensing deal and all that plays out we will be in a better place to make a decision. Weird times right now which makes it 10x harder to decide what is best. I declined the position in HB..just not the right timing. If we have to stay here for a couple more years due to the licensing issue on her we will make it work. I tend to stay in my bubble of New Braunfels, once you guys make it to TX this is a place to spend a weekend if you like music and outdoors.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
before you lay the plywood lmk and Ill UPS you a roll of stuff to put between it and the insulation that will negate that impact and add an other R-13 rating for what you have to sweep away etc.

Holding pattern at the moment.. Likely no decisions going to be made before February at this point. There is a licensing change that will impact my wife that takes effect next year that has thrown a wrench into some things. I've been working remote, and doing some development work since my non-compete is up. Once we see how the licensing deal and all that plays out we will be in a better place to make a decision. Weird times right now which makes it 10x harder to decide what is best. I declined the position in HB..just not the right timing. If we have to stay here for a couple more years due to the licensing issue on her we will make it work. I tend to stay in my bubble of New Braunfels, once you guys make it to TX this is a place to spend a weekend if you like music and outdoors.
Appreciate it. I'll definitely hit you up when we decide to head south to check out Austin. I'd also like to do a road trip to Corpus Christi to visit the places I toured when my uncle was stationed there 30+ years ago.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Design upgrades have been finalized and another wire sent. I think it's standard practice for these semi-custom homes, but expect a 50% deposit on any upgrades you pick. This will be applied against your down-payment when all is said and done.

I got word from our neighbor that they are finishing up the plumbing and about to pour the slab on his house. Today they started putting out form boards on our house. :) I asked for pictures next time he cruises by.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Design upgrades have been finalized and another wire sent. I think it's standard practice for these semi-custom homes, but expect a 50% deposit on any upgrades you pick. This will be applied against your down-payment when all is said and done.

I got word from our neighbor that they are finishing up the plumbing and about to pour the slab on his house. Today they started putting out form boards on our house. :) I asked for pictures next time he cruises by.

When we built ours 9 yrs ago, all options were 75% when singed.... it was crazy, but the builder wanted to make sure you still could qualify for the home once all options were added before closing. I even had to pay $2500 for linoleum I wanted vs tile so we didn't have any tear out when we did flooring after. When I qualified I got the money back. Builder said no one wouldnt want that if I couldn't qualify on the house and they would have to install tile to sell it.

Raffit78

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your custom home building journey, this has actually been very informative! I just got back from Austin in an area called Bee Cave? It was really close to Lake Travis. We were there for a wedding with the family. That place is exploding! there were so many houses being built it was truly unimaginable. However, after doing some Zillow searching lol. It is no joke there. No houses even close to 900k. Decent house is well over a million. Something like what you got going is probably 1.5m-closer to 2mill.

I wanted to ask you, how does buying the land and building your own property work? Is it similar to CA? Do you have to own the land outright and then you do a construction loan for the house build? How about property taxes? does that make a difference?

Family we were there said they don't have state tax there and the property tax rates are higher. Basically a wash? My wife had so many questions. lol

Really enjoying your house build, thanks for sharing again.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Ouch
When we built ours 9 yrs ago, all options were 75% when singed.... it was crazy, but the builder wanted to make sure you still could qualify for the home once all options were added before closing. I even had to pay $2500 for linoleum I wanted vs tile so we didn't have any tear out when we did flooring after. When I qualified I got the money back. Builder said no one wouldnt want that if I couldn't qualify on the house and they would have to install tile to sell it.
Ouch. 75% would hurt, but I understand why they ask for something upfront. We are over $150k in upgrades so you start talking about some real money at 75%.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your custom home building journey, this has actually been very informative! I just got back from Austin in an area called Bee Cave? It was really close to Lake Travis. We were there for a wedding with the family. That place is exploding! there were so many houses being built it was truly unimaginable. However, after doing some Zillow searching lol. It is no joke there. No houses even close to 900k. Decent house is well over a million. Something like what you got going is probably 1.5m-closer to 2mill.

I wanted to ask you, how does buying the land and building your own property work? Is it similar to CA? Do you have to own the land outright and then you do a construction loan for the house build? How about property taxes? does that make a difference?

Family we were there said they don't have state tax there and the property tax rates are higher. Basically a wash? My wife had so many questions. lol

I’ve heard Austin is insane right now. I’ve seen $1.2MM gut to the stud 1,600 square foot houses on some reno shows on Youtube. I personally wouldn’t trade CA for CA 2.0 with garbage weather, but that’s just me.

Our house is in a development, so while you pick your lot they are tied to a builder with certain floor plans. Higher end builders will allow you to tweak the floor plans, but it’s not a full custom build. For full custom, @Done-it-again would be your best bet for info. He’s bought his lot and will be doing a custom build. That will hopefully be our next step but I didn’t want to deal with surveys, unusual financing, unlimited choices, and the higher price tag for our first house. This is overwhelming as is, and I’ve been lucky to get info from this forum as nobody I know has ever done this.

Prop tax is definitely higher than CA, and the calc on what you’d gain without state tax is going to be tied to the individual. Even though our house is over budget I will be well ahead due to my income. “If I can keep my income constant by staying with my current company.” That being said, this house in CA would be many multiples of what I’m paying. Apples to apples, 1% on $3MM in CA > 2.5% on $1MM in TX.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

@Raffit78

It will be a bit for our build until I find a industrial property.

Austin would be one of the highest property taxes with some areas at 3.5% and can change yearly up or down. Forcing a lot of locals out. Most of the tax money go to schools, but the schools show it. They are BIG and the stadiums are collage size.

Also what I’m finding out about property tax, it’s not based on what the sale was and only what the assessor based the price at. That could be over 100k + different and under what you paid ( good thing). The price does not need to given by Texas law either.

But as far custom build. We meet a few builders and seems easy enough and money would only be your down side. Pick from their floor plans, bring your own, merge 3 together, no problem. Like the 5,000 sq home just too much money, they would take 5” out of each wall and shrink to 4100 sq. To make the price within your range.

My lot is in hill county, Bulverde so there is a lot of rock. So the house is the price then there is the utility price that is separate as the builder doesn’t know 100% how far to run power/water etc it will need to be run from the source. Same goes for the sewer, I will be on septic and a sprinkler one at that due to the rock and no way to dig a lech field. More like a mini water treatment plant.

When we talked to builders in January 21’. It was between 190-250 sq foot for really good build and depending on builders and goes higher for higher end stuff. But all willing to do what it takes to get your business. No power to the lot, no problem will bring generators.

One issues is foundations can cost. Some in the hill county can cost 30-60k premium above what is estimated by the builder. We skipped some lots with this, but if you can afford it the views would be amazing.

If you have questions I will answer what I know. @Ace in the Hole knows the area well too and Texas in general.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Congrats on your build, exciting times!
We flew out this week to pick out our selections. Meeting with 16 vendors in 4 days has been a bit overwhelming but fun at the same time.

Good luck!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Great time of year to be in TX. I wish I was there.

Did you pick a builder or find the commercial space yet?
I have 2 days and have 5 building I'm looking at with one of them includes the business.

If i had 5mil I could have got what i'm wanting, but I don't so its a challenge and also trying to keep the commute to a minimum makes it harder

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Wurstfest is going on right now.... https://wurstfest.com its worth checking out while you are in the area.
Damn might just have to go..... To bad I gained some weight and now I don't fit in my lederhosen ... I have a real outfit I got years ago from my German equipment suppliers.... Guess I should ask for another set.....lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Congrats on your build, exciting times!
We flew out this week to pick out our selections. Meeting with 16 vendors in 4 days has been a bit overwhelming but fun at the same time.

Good luck!
Picking selections is definitely stressful and fun. For me, it was probably 70/30. :) Hopefully, my house doesn't look like shit when we're done. haha

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Damn might just have to go..... To bad I gained some weight and now I don't fit in my lederhosen ... I have a real outfit I got years ago from my German equipment suppliers.... Guess I should ask for another set.....lol
I gained a metric ton over the last year but slowly starting to shed it. I told my wife I may have to go be a part time mall Santa this year 👀😅🤣☠️

Wurstfest is a good time, copious amounts of alcohol, German food, bands, dancing, etc.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I gained a metric ton over the last year but slowly starting to shed it. I told my wife I may have to go be a part time mall Santa this year 👀😅🤣☠️

Wurstfest is a good time, copious amounts of alcohol, German food, bands, dancing, etc.
I should be more honest, It’s more than a few and more like a metric ton +.

So what did I do? I bought electric bikes. Lol

Guess it’s sticking around. 🤦‍♂️

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
6B3A463D-7A57-4171-947A-3A1272D4445C.jpeg
3DA8243C-956A-4E6B-BEF1-A0795A814654.jpeg
Neighbor took some more today. His house is being framed right now, and I guess the tile he picked for the majority of his house could not be procured so he basically had to re-design his entire house over the past few weeks. I hope nothing like that happens to us because I’m not flying out anytime soon.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
@Xtrmwakeboarder how are things progressing?

We’ve decided to go an architect route. Builder prices are all over the board. So this way we can create our design and have it bid out Apple to apples.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
@Xtrmwakeboarder how are things progressing?

We’ve decided to go an architect route. Builder prices are all over the board. So this way we can create our design and have it bid out Apple to apples.
I’ve got to do another check in, but I think it’s slowed down for the holidays. 2 weeks ago the builder went over to the lot and said the footings were in, and she’d let us know when the foundation was poured. Silence thus far. She said we may need to come in Jan for the pre-drywall meeting, but I can’t see how it would be that quick. We’ll see.

That is going to be amazing. Make sure to start a thread when the drawings start flying. What’s the timeline?

PilotRyan

Reaction score
Welcome to the area. I grew up in Flower Mound and my wife and I live in Aubrey now. I spend many many days out on Lake Lewisville/Grapevine/Ray Robert’s. What kind of boat do you have? I’m in an 18’ Baker currently being repainted all white.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’ve got to do another check in, but I think it’s slowed down for the holidays. 2 weeks ago the builder went over to the lot and said the footings were in, and she’d let us know when the foundation was poured. Silence thus far. She said we may need to come in Jan for the pre-drywall meeting, but I can’t see how it would be that quick. We’ll see.

That is going to be amazing. Make sure to start a thread when the drawings start flying. What’s the timeline?

Tx had some odd warm weather lately. Hopefully the trades were working. No doubt it will slow for the holidays and weather delays coming into winter

As for us. We figured to get the plans done and not be tide to any builder right now. With that we have no date on pulling the trigger. Did find 4.5 acres zoned manufacturing in shertz tx off the 35 for 500k. Could work out, but does have a small dry creek that runs through it. It’s only wet when there is rain. Trying to get eyes on next week but the listing agent is non responsive and could be gone for Christmas.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Welcome to the area. I grew up in Flower Mound and my wife and I live in Aubrey now. I spend many many days out on Lake Lewisville/Grapevine/Ray Robert’s. What kind of boat do you have? I’m in an 18’ Baker currently being repainted all white.
Thanks, I honestly can’t wait to get out of here. I get more and more excited as time passes. Our community seems to be building out nicely as I watch the Facebook pages.

I’m boatless for now. Jettisoning everything I can to make the move easier and start fresh. I’ve been thinking about selling the Tesla so I don’t have to ship it, but damn I love that car. Who knows what kind of boat I’ll get when I’m over there, or if I finally get a toy. “Viper, Vette, Cobra, supercar, etc….”

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Tx had some odd warm weather lately. Hopefully the trades were working. No doubt it will slow for the holidays and weather delays coming into winter

As for us. We figured to get the plans done and not be tide to any builder right now. With that we have no date on pulling the trigger. Did find 4.5 acres zoned manufacturing in shertz tx off the 35 for 500k. Could work out, but does have a small dry creek that runs through it. It’s only wet when there is rain. Trying to get eyes on next week but the listing agent is non responsive and could be gone for Christmas.
Man, what do you do that you need 4.5 acres?

OK, I’ve got a question for the Texans. What is HEB? The residents seem to think one is going in pretty close by, and people are pumped. Haha.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Man, what do you do that you need 4.5 acres?

OK, I’ve got a question for the Texans. What is HEB? The residents seem to think one is going in pretty close by, and people are pumped. Haha.
HEB is the best grocery store you will ever go into. We love them and we have close by to our property.

I don’t need 4 acres but 2 would be nice. I need to build a 30k sq ft building with office and room from simi trailers when we load projects. Would rather have to much room than not enough, move once and build once. there is 4 aces next to it for sale too if I want 8 combined.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
HEB is the best grocery store you will ever go into. We love them and we have close by to our property.

I don’t need 4 acres but 2 would be nice. I need to build a 30k sq ft building with office and room from simi trailers when we load projects. Would rather have to much room than not enough, move once and build once. there is 4 aces next to it for sale too if I want 8 combined.
What makes it so good? I think I’m going to be screwed into driving 20 mins to the nearest Wholefoods to get my wife’s pasture raised, organic, pampered bs if this HEB doesn’t have it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What makes it so good? I think I’m going to be screwed into driving 20 mins to the nearest Wholefoods to get my wife’s pasture raised, organic, pampered bs if this HEB doesn’t have it.
They just have everything with a big selection. Even their pre made food is good.

Not sure about the organic stuff, I’m sure they do as they have everything I just don’t pay attention to that stuff. @Ace in the Hole Would probably know more.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They just have everything with a big selection. Even their pre made food is good.

Not sure about the organic stuff, I’m sure they do as they have everything I just don’t pay attention to that stuff. @Ace in the Hole Would probably know more.

@Xtrmwakeboarder HEB will have 5-6 different options that I can think of. They actually have a pretty good meat department at most of their stores. We're pretty selective on what we buy..I know they have their own organics brand as well as carry other higher end ones. There are different versions of HEB. Central Market is similar to Whole Foods but better IMO, HEB Plus is a supersized HEB and likely what you will be close to and will carry what you are after, there are some remaining "ghetto HEB's" that you will know if you are in one as selection is much smaller and baseline..those are being phased out.

HEB is epic, their quality is super high and honestly their house brands of stuff is often better than the name brand. Our HEB has a tamale guy who walks around with a cart selling fresh hot tamales which tripped me out the first time lol...it was like being at a sporting event..."get your hot tamale's" lol. I'd be really surprised if they don't have something she can work with when it comes to meat, eggs, etc.

In Texas there are 3 things that you never speak ill of no matter what.. HEB, Buc-ees, and The King himself...Mr George Strait. Welcome to Texas

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
@Xtrmwakeboarder HEB will have 5-6 different options that I can think of. They actually have a pretty good meat department at most of their stores. We're pretty selective on what we buy..I know they have their own organics brand as well as carry other higher end ones. There are different versions of HEB. Central Market is similar to Whole Foods but better IMO, HEB Plus is a supersized HEB and likely what you will be close to and will carry what you are after, there are some remaining "ghetto HEB's" that you will know if you are in one as selection is much smaller and baseline..those are being phased out.

HEB is epic, their quality is super high and honestly their house brands of stuff is often better than the name brand. Our HEB has a tamale guy who walks around with a cart selling fresh hot tamales which tripped me out the first time lol...it was like being at a sporting event..."get your hot tamale's" lol. I'd be really surprised if they don't have something she can work with when it comes to meat, eggs, etc.

In Texas there are 3 things that you never speak ill of no matter what.. HEB, Buc-ees, and The King himself...Mr George Strait. Welcome to Texas
LOL I would be so pumped if there was someone selling some good tamales in the store. I’ll make sure the wife keeps her WholeFoods comments to herself. First mention of it and everyone in the community Facebook page started calling her out. Next time we come down I’m stopping at Buc-ees. I’m pretty sure there is one near Denton if we head up to OK again.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
LOL I would be so pumped if there was someone selling some good tamales in the store. I’ll make sure the wife keeps her WholeFoods comments to herself. First mention of it and everyone in the community Facebook page started calling her out. Next time we come down I’m stopping at Buc-ees. I’m pretty sure there is one near Denton if we head up to OK again.
Funny thing is Whole Foods originated in Austin, and they are very prevalent in that area. One thing I always liked at WF was the "hot food" bar. When I was a single guy in HI, I ate there more than probably anywhere. I deleted FB several years ago, but I know from the wife that the local neighborhoods and "mom/wife" groups that they are a mess of insults, putdowns, Karen complaints etc. I'm sure you wife will be fine with both in a reasonable distance.

Last edited: