WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Home/RV Garage Build

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Under contract as of today. Should be moving in next spring or so. Let the fun begin!

Lot Layout.PNG

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Design studio scheduled for next week. Could be fun, also could be an argument about everything given my wife likes subway tile and I hate it.

c_land

Reaction score
Design studio scheduled for next week. Could be fun, also could be an argument about everything given my wife likes subway tile and I hate it.
Are you using one of the local on-your-lot builders? I spoke to nextgen last year, I liked a couple of their plans.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Are you using one of the local on-your-lot builders? I spoke to nextgen last year, I liked a couple of their plans.
Spoke with NexGen originally and checked out two of their models. Decided to go with MTH as they are a much better value per foot and we liked their plans more, not to mention I know the ownership personally. Also, this is one of their lots and the dirt NexGen had wasn't what we wanted or where we wanted to be.

c_land

Reaction score
Spoke with NexGen originally and checked out two of their models. Decided to go with MTH as they are a much better value per foot and we liked their plans more, not to mention I know the ownership personally. Also, this is one of their lots and the dirt NexGen had wasn't what we wanted or where we wanted to be.
Nice, I spoke with them about a custom plan I had. Decided to hold out for a little longer until we build and make the move.

We are on 49th way near Cave Creek Blvd and Lone Mountain Rd.

I'll be interested in your experience and build here, we may be neighbors one day!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Any opinions on home automatiion? Looking at either Crestron, Savant or Control 4 but leaning towards Control 4. Just want to control security, lights, pool pumps, cameras and home theatre.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Any opinions on home automatiion? Looking at either Crestron, Savant or Control 4 but leaning towards Control 4. Just want to control security, lights, pool pumps, cameras and home theatre.
I have no personal automation but make sure it speaks the same language as any other things you might want to add. Zigbee/Z-Wave are the main two but don’t get along last I heard when I was trying to get into it. Would suck to not be able to tie in a pool or home theatre later without going with a brand you don’t like.

Mark G

Reaction score
Congrats! Did you get a square foot bid for the project, or an overall bid price for the job?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Congrats! Did you get a square foot bid for the project, or an overall bid price for the job?
Overall bottom line price. We did design studio and low volt meetings last week. Quite a few upgrades and it went a lot smoother than I thought but overall almost 6 hours between the two meetings. Waiting on final numbers and then will finalize loan and closing date. Right now set for March 15.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Ok so Appraisal/Inspection for construction loan was today, report should be back to them by Monday or Tuesday. Closing set for the 15th and then we get under way finally.

What's everyone's opinion on walling in front yard to property line with big rolling gates for driveway vs just running wall behind house and closing in backyard instead? I'd save a little money on the latter but it would be nice to have a secure front yard for kids/dogs/vehicles. Obviously the backyard gets done either way.

Here are some examples

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Ok so Appraisal/Inspection for construction loan was today, report should be back to them by Monday or Tuesday. Closing set for the 15th and then we get under way finally.

What's everyone's opinion on walling in front yard to property line with big rolling gates for driveway vs just running wall behind house and closing in backyard instead? I'd save a little money on the latter but it would be nice to have a secure front yard for kids/dogs/vehicles. Obviously the backyard gets done either way.

Here are some examples

Are you in a gated community? If not, and the wall matches the aesthetic of the house/property, I’d wall everything up.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Are you in a gated community? If not, and the wall matches the aesthetic of the house/property, I’d wall everything up.
Negative. There is one like mine in my parents estates and I really like the look of an entrance gate with walls surrounding the entire compound. Very classy.

c_land

Reaction score
Negative. There is one like mine in my parents estates and I really like the look of an entrance gate with walls surrounding the entire compound. Very classy.
How is everything going with your build?

c_land

Reaction score
Still waiting on permits. Probably in the next two weeks I’ll have them.
What's the jurisdiction? City of Phoenix or Maricopa County? City of Phoenix was an absolute nightmare when I was trying to get answers last year.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
What's the jurisdiction? City of Phoenix or Maricopa County? City of Phoenix was an absolute nightmare when I was trying to get answers last year.
It’s a maricopa county lot not city of Phoenix.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Ok so the county finally staked our lot on Monday of this week and we did our walkthrough prior to pad cutting yesterday. Grading and drainage contractor has been awarded the contract and all 5 of the homes in my builder's section will be cut this month. The next 5 homes to us, different builder, already have pads cut and foundations going in.

In addition, our well has been drilled and capped. They found water in granite at 350' and went all the way to 850'. Flowing 50GPM.

rampster

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like its going to be awesome. Glad to hear about hitting water. Looking forward to watching this, Keep us posted on progress!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Awesome project...love that area....man aint no kinda man with out some land.... whats the pad cut to the left for???

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Awesome project...love that area....man aint no kinda man with out some land.... whats the pad cut to the left for???
That’s the next lot over to the east. These lots are all 1 acre, identical dimensions. They haven’t sold that lot yet. I’ll look for some exterior elevations in my design book.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

Here are some examples

JMO... but front gates are a pain in the ass... I've had both.. and when they don't work even worse.. my vegas house has has two side gates to the rear yard... even those are a pain... your gonna run out of garage and parking real quick... and gonna need rv shade spots... I don't care if you build a 900' x 900' garage ... you will run out....lol man caves are never big enough... plan the yard to fit anything you might get , not what you have... big plus to homes is side parking... I use both sides with shades on the vegas house... plus a pool and detached garage in the rear... I built a 25' x 50' garage in the rear.... and my wife added a 25' x25' hooked to mine just for her holiday and pool shit...

I did a mezzanine in my garage... full of shit in containers... my wife uses the 2 car on the house for her cars... I don't know where your property lines are, but... being able to drive into the rear is a giant plus, that and it doesn't seem like it's needed but I constantly use the rear door on the rv garage, but i keep a boat hooked to the truck in there...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, I don't know if your lot is square,... but as far as wall price it won't matter.. and less if you have PUE's... but... a square acre has about
209' per side... so... about 836' of wall.... if block... with gates will be over 100k.....

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
JMO... but front gates are a pain in the ass... I've had both.. and when they don't work even worse.. my vegas house has has two side gates to the rear yard... even those are a pain... your gonna run out of garage and parking real quick... and gonna need rv shade spots... I don't care if you build a 900' x 900' garage ... you will run out....lol man caves are never big enough... plan the yard to fit anything you might get , not what you have... big plus to homes is side parking... I use both sides with shades on the vegas house... plus a pool and detached garage in the rear... I built a 25' x 50' garage in the rear.... and my wife added a 25' x25' hooked to mine just for her holiday and pool shit...

I did a mezzanine in my garage... full of shit in containers... my wife uses the 2 car on the house for her cars... I don't know where your property lines are, but... being able to drive into the rear is a giant plus, that and it doesn't seem like it's needed but I constantly use the rear door on the rv garage, but i keep a boat hooked to the truck in there...
Yeah I’ve been going back and forth on doing a rear door on the garage as well as walling and gating in the front yard. As of now I think I’ll just walk in the rear and build a bad ass pool, Ramada and half basketball court. Travertine, Fake grass and zero scaping galore.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve been going back and forth on doing a rear door on the garage as well as walling and gating in the front yard. As of now I think I’ll just walk in the rear and build a bad ass pool, Ramada and half basketball court. Travertine, Fake grass and zero scaping galore.
at least have them put the door header and trimmers in... thats not a bearing wall so it could be east to add latter... but having it framed in will make it easy.... is it a mono pour ? looks like the garage will have stem walls... if so, another pain in the ass to cut out latter... also that rear wall is probley a shear wall... another don't matter latter, but now it might require engineering.... any way ,... very cool project in a great area...

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Stem wall/pad forms are in. Iron and straps are done. Ready for stem wall pour and then on to pad after utilities are in.
17C46260-2446-401A-A07E-5F403A4C7F0F.jpeg
1A10D10C-EF97-477D-AFF4-A88DF6B17526.jpeg
3F3AF7B1-2546-42BD-95F7-F78697C518FF.jpeg
F6ACA745-DB74-42FD-AA29-CA0BD1AD70B2.jpeg

EEC4DB21-8A34-41AC-BC07-139DC98365E6.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
does your lot go to the corner of the fence to the right??? I'd have fun on that lot with my tractor....

f6aca745-db74-42fd-aa29-ca0bd1ad70b2-jpeg.1165524

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Nice - You are just down the road from me, I'm near Carefree Hwy and Black Mountain. For the RV garage, I second the suggestion to add a rear garage door. I added one on my RV garage mostly to provide access to my backyard, but the amount of airflow I get in the garage with both doors open was a nice surprise.

img_1348-jpg.537982

img_1693-jpg.544025

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Nice - You are just down the road from me, I'm near Carefree Hwy and Black Mountain. For the RV garage, I second the suggestion to add a rear garage door. I added one on my RV garage mostly to provide access to my backyard, but the amount of airflow I get in the garage with both doors open was a nice surprise.

img_1348-jpg.537982

img_1693-jpg.544025
Yepp, just opened up both front and back doors this morning. Intended to cool down the garage since it was warmer than outside. With just a little breeze it was cool in about 10 minutes. I’d also say a man door will allow better access and not having to open the garage doors if you have to. Keep the pics coming!!!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
405269E6-8BA2-4EF2-9BE3-4BB6D7786852.png
Was going to add multi-duct 3 ton split too. Might also add rear door.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Looking good - Another thing I did that I'm glad I did was to grade the floor in my RV garage so that water drains out the front and rear garage doors. This way when I want to run the boat on the hose, I just open the rear door and start it up, the water runs out the back door and the inside of the garage stays mostly dry. If I did it again, I would probably do less of a slope than I did and also keep it flat near the walls for tool boxes, etc.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Looking good - Another thing I did that I'm glad I did was to grade the floor in my RV garage so that water drains out the front and rear garage doors. This way when I want to run the boat on the hose, I just open the rear door and start it up, the water runs out the back door and the inside of the garage stays mostly dry. If I did it again, I would probably do less of a slope than I did and also keep it flat near the walls for tool boxes, etc.
Damn, that may be a good idea, however, they are inspecting for pre-slab today on the garage and pouring concrete tomorrow barring hell or high water.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Damn, that may be a good idea, however, they are inspecting for pre-slab today on the garage and pouring concrete tomorrow barring hell or high water.
It's not a big deal either way. I'm glad that I have the slope in the floor, but if I was doing it again I would change it slightly. Your concrete guys might already put some grading in the floor for drainage. Post up some pics once you get your slab