New Hummers crab walking...

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Pretty cool.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
but for some reason they won't program the tires to turn opposite at low speeds to reduce turning radius. Make no sense at all really.

Ladsm

Reaction score
that sounds like an alignment shops dream right there. More moving parts, YAY!!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had a Chevy Quadrasteer truck did that on a couple of times when I made a quick turn and turned back the other way when making U-turns - the rear wheels stayed in the extreme position. It was easily reset by turning the truck off and restarting it. It was a great system, too bad it was discontinued due to nobody knowing about it. It really made backing trailers up very easy, when I got rid of it I had to relearn how to back up without the rear steering.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had a Chevy Quadrasteer truck did that on a couple of times when I made a quick turn and turned back the other way when making U-turns - the rear wheels stayed in the extreme position. It was easily reset by turning the truck off and restarting it. It was a great system, too bad it was discontinued due to nobody knowing about it. It really made backing trailers up very easy, when I got rid of it I had to relearn how to back up without the rear steering.
I have always wanted one ever since I read the Car and Driver review and they tried an emergency lane change maneuver while towing and could NOT upset the trailer with the system turned on.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
What drives the vehicle market to develop something so stupid and put it into production?
They must do some very hi-level consumer purchasing/ marketing analogies along the lines of, "What has no other company done, that we can do, that will drive sales regardless of how stupid it is"? . . . And there must be an incredible amount of stupid mother-fuckers who "Just gotta have the latest gizmo".

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
People have hard enough driving and staying in their lanes as it is right now I imagine this will just continue to fuck things up
If they do offer the crabbing feature it’ll probably only work in 4-low and the speed will probably be restricted to 10mph.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the Audi’s have had that technology in their high-end SUV’s for a while. I could be wrong, I remember a good friend telling me about it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the Audi’s have had that technology in their high-end SUV’s for a while. I could be wrong, I remember a good friend telling me about it.

You’re not wrong.

Rear wheel steering has been a thing, off and on, for quite some time.

Honda had it on a Prelude in the 90’s.

Porsche uses it to help tame oversteer [emoji106]

And monster trucks have used it for quite some time.

They all mostly function similarly.
Out of phase with the fronts to tighten the turning circle at low speeds.

In phase with the fronts to aid stability at high speeds.

The Hummer system just takes it to a ridiculous, meme-generating level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

outboardrick

Reaction score
It did! We owned one, I think it was an '89 and it was scary as fuck to drive. :eek:
I worked for Honda at the time, for many years really, and what a POS that was. Luckily only lasted for a year.

pronstar

Reaction score
Older vid on Porsche’s system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Surprised at the comments. Feature has been around a long time. And with today’s electronics probably works better than ever. Even the older vehicle reviews said it works really well in many situations. Lane changing, towing, parking, off roading in tight places. Didn’t catch on well in the early trucks because of cost, complexity, and lack of consumer knowledg. I would think this is an appropriate vehicle as a high end, high tech(expensive) vehicle.

pronstar

Reaction score
Surprised at the comments. Feature has been around a long time. And with today’s electronics probably works better than ever. Even the older vehicle reviews said it works really well in many situations. Lane changing, towing, parking, off roading in tight places. Didn’t catch on well in the early trucks because of cost, complexity, and lack of consumer knowledg. I would think this is an appropriate vehicle as a high end, high tech(expensive) vehicle.

[emoji106]

Car and Driver declared the 4WS Prelide the best handling FWD car, and one of the best handling cars, they’d ever tested at the time in a handling test.

My recollection is weak..there were a TON of cars with 4WS as far back as 1988:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
not the first time GM/Chevy has used a 4 way steer... silverados came with "quadrasteer" and they are apparently pricey to maintain
quadrasteer.jpeg