WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New keel guards

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So I'm gonna give these a try verses the glue on rubber type. Main benefit I'm expecting is they can be spot repaired compared to complete replacement and they are much less noticable. I do not expect them to protect any better and damage is a given in my opinion.
20210317_161731.jpg
20210317_161740.jpg

Riverhound

Reaction score
Those don’t look bad at all. Most likely unnoticeable in the water. Who did the install? I need to do mine.

bocco

Reaction score
Looks like white LineX. Can you buy these and install yourself or are they a spray on deal.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
I wonder if it would change color due to the water? I remember when I got my truck line-x they applied a UV protectant and it still looks new as day one.

bradscott48

Reaction score
Iguana marine does them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Iguana Marine does them. Yeah, basically a rhino-line. I think they can do most any color. After application it sits off trailer for 3 days or so and they want it not to go in water for another week+ so its full thickness cures completely. They guarantee adhesion, but not that it won't scrape/scratch if you land on rocks.
I had contemplated doing a DIY with Raptor but said F it.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
They guarantee adhesion, does this mean they scuff up your original gel coat to get it to stick? And how would you ever get it off of you decided you don’t want it anymore?

sirbob

Reaction score
Hmmm

Zig - how do you repair? Just spray more stuff on?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Looks nice and clean Ziggy.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They guarantee adhesion, does this mean they scuff up your original gel coat to get it to stick? And how would you ever get it off of you decided you don’t want it anymore?

I would assume its just like doing a truck bed..sand it...paint it on let it cure. Removal would be sanding and gel repair. I have a feeling the thought behind it is that its more durable than gel.. I've thought about it doing it for that reason.

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
Looks good.
With the cost of labor increasing, my ever 3rd year sponson re-gel is starting to get expensive

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
looks good Ziggy. something I'll have to consider when my keel guard needs replacing. Just did it so I hope I don't need one soon

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I honestly am unsure if they scuffed but I believe it’s just fully stripped of waxes/polishes. Adhesion was more about letting it cure through and through. At this point this was an alternative to a regel.
Hmmm

Zig - how do you repair? Just spray more stuff on?
Yup, just like spot painting a scratch on single stage paint.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Looks good.
With the cost of labor increasing, my ever 3rd year sponson re-gel is starting to get expensive
These were a little bit more $ than two new rubber guards, at todays costs/rates(much of that difference being the cost to remove old ones). What attracted me is the fact that a less expensive spot redo/repair is possible verses whole new rubber or re-gel each few seasons.
My old rubber ones always failed in the same few feet along the keel while the remainder was still 100% fine.

wet hull

Reaction score
I had this done 2 years ago. Works great and set back enough you cant see when beached. Only cost a couple hundred bucks while boat was in for service. Time for a touch up and doing in 2 weeks.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I had this done 2 years ago. Works great and set back enough you cant see when beached. Only cost a couple hundred bucks while boat was in for service. Time for a touch up and doing in 2 weeks.
Glad to hear it👍. I asked if anyone had tried it 3-4 months ago on here and nobody responded to it. So I let my intuition guide me.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool idea. Looks good, Zig!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

Reaction score
hmmmm....I wonder if Shockwave can do this on my new build while it sits?

rpmsrup

Reaction score
I did this to mine before last year and it works great, and they stand behind it 100%

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Curious how long this lasts compared to the Rubber Keel Guards or just Re-Gelling? I was just quoted $1700 to re-gel my sponspons from beach wear which I thought was crazy. :eek: What did Iguana quote ya?

Springfield

Reaction score
Curious how long this lasts compared to the Rubber Keel Guards or just Re-Gelling? I was just quoted $1700 to re-gel my sponspons from beach wear which I thought was crazy. :eek: What did Iguana quote ya?
You know we all want to know the $1700. place as Saleen has lost their fkn mind.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
$1999 plus the labor to remove the old rubber guards and the nasty ass two sided tape.
I checked out a few boats there prior and seen both perfect bottoms coated and another that they coated over chips and flaws.
Think I've been through about 2.5-3 sets of rubber one in 5 full seasons. I do beach it pretty much everywhere but I don't really ram it up hard. Luck of the draw if there's a significant rock below the visible surface. 3 dunes killed a few when it looked like it was sandy, but wasn't.
Like I said before, being able to just do a spot repair is nice compared to replacing a 90% good guard.

Last edited: