WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Lavey 28 Evo Hardtop

Gelcoater

Reaction score
This offshore season the Lavey that was running in P4 is the same model that is being built now. The reason that boat is running P4 and not in Vee Lite is because the engine doesn't meet the requirements for the class.
What class did they run the 26 Nu Era?

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Knocking quite a bit of HP from the equation...the weight will help of course.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Bottom got bagged last week.

UD

IMG_5035.jpg
IMG_5036.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Bottom popped today. Chris says the thing is like a rock.

The material is incredibly hard - Just the number of sanding disks gone through to finish it off and smooth it was incredible.

When guys say they are building a "kevlar boat hull" that can mean a lot or be just pretty.

Doing only the bottom insures the top will wad up quicker in a crash and the boat is only partial kevlar then.

Putting the kevlar on the last top layer is really cosmetic and doesn't make much difference - I see this in other builds " kevlar hull" - BS.

You have to put it inside the layers of laminate only then can you reduce the standard layup number and be assured of equal or greater strength.

UD

IMG_5141.jpg
IMG_5140.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg
IMG_5139.jpg

noli

Reaction score

wow!

you guys do great work!

more rigging pics...please

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Thanks, Chris and the team take lots of pride in the work.

Cockpit it is and bonded, base of the cockpit has aluminum plates glassed in to be able to properly tap and bolt the seats down.

This is a rare instance where Lavey wont be rigging the boat- the client will be doing that .
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG

UD

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Any progress pics on this machine?

I also have a question: Steps are ok but why don't I see any pad bottoms in this class?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Yeah but nothing you can really take picts of -

all the remaining parts are in - Windshield, rubrail, some capping, and transom cut - and she rolls away..

Wish I could afford to build one myself right now! I go with the removable top because I don't race. (wink)

UD

lavey jr

Reaction score
Couple of update pics from last week.

IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG

Customer requested to not paint the cockpit to keep the lamination exposed - great choice in my opinion. In the first cockpit picture, if you look very close around the window cut you can see that the carbon/kevlar is fully used and incorporated throughout the entire lamination - not only the last visible layer like some builds. I personally got to see this boat last week and it is extremely solid!

IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Couple of update pics from last week.

View attachment 614474 View attachment 614475

Customer requested to not paint the cockpit to keep the lamination exposed - great choice in my opinion. In the first cockpit picture, if you look very close around the window cut you can see that the carbon/kevlar is fully used and incorporated throughout the entire lamination - not only the last visible layer like some builds. I personally got to see this boat last week and it is extremely solid!

View attachment 614476 View attachment 614477
You did? They let you leave? :D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The material once laid up is incredibly hard to sand, grind and fair out resulting in lots of burned up tools and worn bearings and extended compressor time.

There was something like a 5 fold increase in time as well as consumables (sanding disks/ grinding wheels) and time to properly fit everything.

We have the numbers for both layups (standard / carbon) and the boat is absolutely notably and measurably stiffer than regular layup (like mine) and you can see when its being moved and you can actually feel it if you are sensitive to that type thing.

UD

Last edited:

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
This get finished up for the Cocoa race this weekend?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Dont think so - Boat rode out of the shop just before desert storm -and I saw a transom being put in last week.

UD

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply UD. Guess we will just have to wait and see now. :(

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score