WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Lavey Craft 2750 MCOB Twin 300XS's

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Not quite in the mold yet, but its being prepped.

This is the first twin outboard 2750 made.

This will be tricky at the transom as mods are needed on the swimstep which is a molded part of the boats profile so you can't just chop it off or not bolt it on.

The idea is to retain the profile of the boat as well as the ability to get in and out of the boat from the back.

Should be a really cool ride.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4182 (1).jpg
    IMG_4182 (1).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 405

CobraDave

Reaction score
Awesome. Cool to see Lavey building. Me and a buddy keep talking about building this boat

HavaToon

Reaction score
That will be a cool boat, subscribed. As much as I love me the 300xs I think it's a mistake on this boat and they should use the 400's.

RCDave

Reaction score
Updates are a must!!! Will the integrated swim step require modification to o/b's?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Awesome. Cool to see Lavey building. Me and a buddy keep talking about building this boat

Lavey Craft has also has a 28 EVO hard top to build as well as a large number of third party boats that are very different from what they normally build but quite challenging in their own way.

I'll start a thread on the new 28 as soon as there is something to shoot.

The end user of the 28's Gonna go give Outerlimits a run for their money.

UD

lavey jr

Reaction score
Base drawing for the gel. Customer wanted something closer to the simple side of things and colors that will also flow nicely and look good for many years to come.
White base, black, electric blue w/ black pin stripe.

IMG_1610.jpg

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Very curious to watch the progress of this project. Interesting set up choice and am Sure Lavey will dial it in nicely.

lavey jr

Reaction score
That will be a cool boat, subscribed. As much as I love me the 300xs I think it's a mistake on this boat and they should use the 400's.

Agreed. To a certain extent... Lavey hasn't built a 2750 with a twin 300xs setup nor a twin 400r setup and the baseline comparison on most of these twin O/B boats is how much better the 400r did against the 300xs setup and what the handling/performance difference is between the two. So the way I see it is this will be Lavey's baseline O/B setup number and then it will give comparative reference for the future 400r 2750. Another thing is that the 2750 is dang near identical in efficiency numbers as their 27 Sabre cat so I think this 300xs setup will run pretty dang good.

Just my 2 cents and I am really looking forward to hearing how this boat runs and hopefully I'll be able to fly back to California to see it run:thumbsup

N of the rvr

Reaction score
Did the motor come with steering ram on it? Who's steering is it? Can't wait to see it finished!!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Did the motor come with steering ram on it? Who's steering is it? Can't wait to see it finished!!

It did.

Its an Imco steering system.

Customer helped Chris find new 2017 engines that were on a Merc dealers demo boat rigged and sitting.

It just happened to be rigged with an Imco system and fit the need perfectly making the deal extra sweet.

It was that or cough up more money as any new 300XS's ordered now will be 2018's and more expensive just because.

UD

GregG

Reaction score
Have you looked into a Porta Bracket for those twin Merc's? Would give you a lot of options with set-up and props.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Have you looked into a Porta Bracket for those twin Merc's? Would give you a lot of options with set-up and props.

Cant remember what the client settled on, but I remember this being discussed. Ill check it out and update.

UD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've always wondered how those would effect a boat when the motor is raised and lowered and all since the motor moves in an arc and thus the CG changes with the motor height. I'd have to imagine they aren't ideal for current Verado offerings due to the large weight which would exaggerate the CG change.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
For those not so familiar with the Lavey brand, reviewing the pics in this thread can be informative.

You'll notice the deck and cockpit inner liner are one piece.
The helm/dash is inserted during rigging.

Looking at the outer flange of the molds, notice there are triangle shaped wedges sticking up every couple feet or so.
On the deck flange there is a corresponding recess.

Once lamination of both halves is complete they are joined and bonded together, while still in the molds.
Those wedges assure the halves fit exactly the same, every time.

It's a rather time consuming task, and a bit more challenging than pulling both parts and assembling on a dolly.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Guys at the shop set up a time lapse of the 2750 being pulled from the mold.

Looks pretty cool to me!

UD

[video=youtube_https;nqVFtFBR0yE]https://youtu.be/nqVFtFBR0yE[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,031

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Customer went with Rapid Jacks from hydro dynamics.

Definitely some good and bad with these.

Chunky enough pieces, but not lots of range up and down like 2.5 inches potentially one may have to remove and rebolt up or down depending on how close you get the initial setup.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 376

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
X Marks the spot. Lots of cogitating then measuring re where that first hole gets drilled.

Customer spent most of yesterday with Chris going over the details of the boat.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 363

951prerun

Reaction score
Customer went with Rapid Jacks from hydro dynamics.

Definitely some good and bad with these.

Chunky enough pieces, but not lots of range up and down like 2.5 inches potentially one may have to remove and rebolt up or down depending on how close you get the initial setup.

UD

Can that motor even be trimmed up? maybe just a perception of the picture.

jpf091959

Reaction score
Can that motor even be trimmed up? maybe just a perception of the picture.

yea I was wondering the same thing. Also the rigging hoses and tubes would have a horrible kink in them. I hate the idea of cutting up the swim platform, I would push for more setback.

Riley1

Reaction score
yea I was wondering the same thing. Also the rigging hoses and tubes would have a horrible kink in them. I hate the idea of cutting up the swim platform, I would push for more setback.

Chris was cutting it when I was there two days ago. Tried to show it in my pic. The original rendering showed the swim step notched to fit the outboards. IMG_3226.jpg

lavey jr

Reaction score
Some update pics I was sent today.
Transom/swim step cut out and rubrail cap is almost done and ready for gel coat. As you can see they were still able to keep a somewhat decent amount of swim platform which will also have a boarding ladder to get in/out through the rear of the boat.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3141.jpg IMG_3143.jpg IMG_3146.jpg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question.

With do doing re gel work, how do you get it smooth were it meets the sprayed gel mold surface? Is there a seam line somewhere?

The transom work looks great BTW.....

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question.

With do doing re gel work, how do you get it smooth were it meets the sprayed gel mold surface? Is there a seam line somewhere?

The transom work looks great BTW.....

Trade secret stuff, man.
I could tell you how they do it...but I'd probably get wacked.:D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
More progress.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 409

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Its done minus post rigging polish.

Phenomenal- Ill get a pict of sides tomorrow.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4881.jpg
    IMG_4881.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 416

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Any chance of getting a picture of this thing rigged?

Sure when it gets there.
Boats at trailer shop now.

Lots of work done on the interior.

Client asked for a completely fiberglass floor all the way to the bow and to use the area underneath the bow as a ski locker.

Its also getting a completely custom dash piece made one off for it that will be similar to mine but not quite identical.

I think I have some interim picts I can dig up.

This is a very cool project.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Making a custom dash is a very time consuming and expensive process.

Creating a mold to do it again vs just hand fabbing it is more more more money. This job dint have the time budgeted so this is a one offf.

The steps go a bit like this -

Spend the time and money to Make the dash you normally make

Working cutting it up thus destroying the dash you just took the time and money to make

Creating a new dash form the soul of the old one = Spending expensive man hours with a highly skilled guy

When somebody say, or someone agrees to something " custom" its a time AND money commitment, but the results are spectacular.

this took about 3 weeks to do. Ill try to fend a before the cardboard covering, but the mod is significant.

UD
IMG_4996.jpg
IMG_5144.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Making a custom dash is a very time consuming and expensive process.

Creating a mold to do it again vs just hand fabbing it is more more more money. This job dint have the time budgeted so this is a one offf.

The steps go a bit like this -

Spend the time and money to Make the dash you normally make

Working cutting it up thus destroying the dash you just took the time and money to make

Creating a new dash form the soul of the old one = Spending expensive man hours with a highly skilled guy

When somebody say, or someone agrees to something " custom" its a time AND money commitment, but the results are spectacular.

this took about 3 weeks to do. Ill try to fend a before the cardboard covering, but the mod is significant.

UD View attachment 607842 View attachment 607843 View attachment 607844

Any updates here?