WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Lavey Craft 2750 MCOB Twin 300XS's

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Don't know shit about what can be done with these things.

There was no smell - and not a whisp of 2 stroke haze.

UD

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Not quite in the mold yet, but its being prepped.

This is the first twin outboard 2750 made.

The idea is to retain the profile of the boat as well as the ability to get in and out of the boat from the back.

Should be a really cool ride.

UD

I like the idea of paying attention to getting in and out of the boat from the water. I like to swim.

RCDave

Reaction score
DBR can make them 330s with a computer flash, fly wheel and a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the DBR 1.1 installed on my 300 xs. It really woke up the low to mid range power and throttle response. 1-2 mph better rope end on my boat.

The only downsides is the engine is a little louder with the intake facing the front of the cowl. Quality fuel is more important too.

But the issue of pulling water in under the cowl is eliminated with this upgrade.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I remember reading about another guy that had the water /cowling issue don't recall the resolve on that and Im curious what the catalyst is for that.

The boat is so quiet and nice now I can't imagine going into it -at least for a while - but every guy wants a few MPH so I get it.

What kind of hours do these things need before an overhaul- then whats that typically run? Can you just re-ring it or do pistons scuff up and need replacing ?
how do they wear out?

Gelcoater I know right - the smell of bean oil has alway been part of the experience, but not anymore.
There may have been a puff first fire up but I didnt see it.

I was parking the rig so my view was in the mirrors, but successive restarts were absolutely haze free and seemingly within a single crank revolution.

UD

RCDave

Reaction score
I remember reading about another guy that had the water /cowling issue don't recall the resolve on that and Im curious what the catalyst is for that.

The boat is so quiet and nice now I can't imagine going into it -at least for a while - but every guy wants a few MPH so I get it.

What kind of hours do these things need before an overhaul- then whats that typically run? Can you just re-ring it or do pistons scuff up and need replacing ?
how do they wear out?

Gelcoater I know right - the smell of bean oil has alway been part of the experience, but not anymore.
There may have been a puff first fire up but I didnt see it.

I was parking the rig so my view was in the mirrors, but successive restarts were absolutely haze free and seemingly within a single crank revolution.

UD

The kit is pretty non invasive. It's an ecu reprogram, intake reroute to the front of the cowl, and cowl MOD.

Apparently at high speeds, the vacuum created behind the boat/engines can draw water under the rear of the cowl. Especially concerning running in salt water. Stock intake is at the rear of the motor too. The DBR kit reroutes the intake to the high front of the cowl, which breaks the vacuum and routes cooler air to the intake. Downside is noise levels.

Not sure of hours before overhauls but these are very reliable engines. Plus twins would result in less stress to each.

What a boat! Love it

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider 2 stroke noiseto be a negative. Especially with how quiet they are stock.

RCDave

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider 2 stroke noiseto be a negative. Especially with how quiet they are stock.

The compressor in the xs has a metallic mechanical noise, which is more noticeable with the cowl mod

hallett21

Reaction score
Those engines will go 500 hours no problem. Quality fuel/oil is what you need to maintain.

There are guys with 1000 + hours that use them for fishing. My opinion is outboards need to be run. They don’t like sitting and being used once or twice a year.

Albert

Reaction score
AAE1416D-9DED-45B6-82CE-8E1224964C30.jpeg

Boooom!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I like the idea of paying attention to getting in and out of the boat from the water. I like to swim.

Me too.

Nothing like a full moon summer havasu (pick your desert lake) swim at midnight with your friends.

If you can't get in and out of the boat from the back you lose a LOT of utility.

I would never own a non swimmable boat- I dont care if its turbine powered If I can't jump into the water and get out - I dont want it.

UD

H2O

Reaction score
Just awesome!

I know most ask about top end, but I'd love to hear more about the outboards coming up on plane, mid-range acceleration, fuel consumption, etc. compared to an I/O. (i.e. the stuff you experienced every time out.)

I called Chris last year asking about a 24 NuEra with a single 400 Merc, and that project is still on my mind. Love to know if weight advantage of a single 400R on the 24 would be enough to "free up" the hull a bit at speed. Looking for something I can easily trailer long distance to lakes, and still dunk in the ocean for coastal runs on calm days.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Just awesome!

I know most ask about top end, but I'd love to hear more about the outboards coming up on plane, mid-range acceleration, fuel consumption, etc. compared to an I/O. (i.e. the stuff you experienced every time out.)

I called Chris last year asking about a 24 NuEra with a single 400 Merc, and that project is still on my mind. Love to know if weight advantage of a single 400R on the 24 would be enough to "free up" the hull a bit at speed. Looking for something I can easily trailer long distance to lakes, and still dunk in the ocean for coastal runs on calm days.

As it sits its performance envelope is remarkable similar to my Ilmor 710 boat while providing the safety in redundancy in the ocean I dont have, and possibly a longer life as well.

With a grand total of "about" and hour and without being around on eta first run all I can do is give an impression of what my butt felt.

Planing- with Chris says with the engines lower it was faster, with them as set today its between my ilmor boat with a 26-28 - not bad! = that said we could have - but did not - pull the prop plugs, which will ventilate and spin it up faster that it did on Saturday - plus we weren't about to risk a prop blowout and potential over run - thats the clients privilege and risk to take.

low to Mid range -30-60 a bit less than my 710 boat which has 650 lb ft, at 3500rpm - Im guessing a mash on at 30 would have me maybe a boat length on him by 60.

Mid to Top performance 45-80 pretty wicked equal or superior to an NA 700HP big block - and oh what a noise!
in this range it runs as well or better than my rig that has 100 more HP.
Gonna come down to whoever gets the jump!

Extended top running - no contest - going 80 for hours is easier on this than any big bock.

Handling - twin is Better, tracks better, turns better, docks better - its better period. Where you have to tripod out a single engine big block with a tab this thing just runs straight and true with far less to no drama or skill required.

Fuel consumption - couldn't tell - didnt get to that page of the GPS as we were mostly concerned with temps and pressures at the higher setting, but its beautifully integrated NMEA 2000 to the mills.

Were trying to find a deal on a 400 for the stock 24 we have now- I like the idea more and more. Id take a closed bow 24 to catalina with 100% confidence - open bows can always be a risk on the ocean but on a good day no problem.

UD

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
As it sits its performance envelope is remarkable similar to my Ilmor 710 boat while providing the safety in redundancy in the ocean I dont have, and possibly a longer life as well.

With a grand total of "about" and hour and without being around on eta first run all I can do is give an impression of what my butt felt.

Planing- with Chris says with the engines lower it was faster, with them as set today its between my ilmor boat with a 26-28 - not bad! = that said we could have - but did not - pull the prop plugs, which will ventilate and spin it up faster that it did on Saturday - plus we weren't about to risk a prop blowout and potential over run - thats the clients privilege and risk to take.

low to Mid range -30-60 a bit less than my 710 boat which has 650 lb ft, at 3500rpm - Im guessing a mash on at 30 would have me maybe a boat length on him by 60.

Mid to Top performance 45-80 pretty wicked equal or superior to an NA 700HP big block - and oh what a noise!
in this range it runs as well or better than my rig that has 100 more HP.
Gonna come down to whoever gets the jump!

Extended top running - no contest - going 80 for hours is easier on this than any big bock.

Handling - twin is Better, tracks better, turns better, docks better - its better period. Where you have to tripod out a single engine big block with a tab this thing just runs straight and true with far less to no drama or skill required.

Fuel consumption - couldn't tell - didnt get to that page of the GPS as we were mostly concerned with temps and pressures at the higher setting, but its beautifully integrated NMEA 2000 to the mills.

Were trying to find a deal on a 400 for the stock 24 we have now- I like the idea more and more. Id take a closed bow 24 to catalina with 100% confidence - open bows can always be a risk on the ocean but on a good day no problem.

UD

Are you looking for a 20" or 25" for the 24 footer?

stoker2001

Reaction score
Do the engines hang off hydrolic jack plates?
manual jack plates..requires loosening four 1/2" bolts,then cranking on a winch to raise.I have done this while boat is in water but it really should be done while on trailer.

H2O

Reaction score
Thanks Uncle Dave....great info.

Congrats to the shop and the new owner on a beautiful boat!

I think the outboards are a no-brainer for anyone that runs in the salt, and diversifies Laveys product offering. I think it's fair to say that MOST new boats (in the runabout size) back East and especially in Florida are equipped with outboard power. Nice to see a West Coast Custom builder keeping up with the trends.

FWIW - Always been a Mere guy, but Evinrude is offering a 10 year warranty on the new G2 outboards, and first scheduled service does not take pace until 500 hours. Very appealing if you have have a boat in the water year round and use often (aka Florida boating).

Last edited:

H2O

Reaction score
Those engines will go 500 hours no problem. Quality fuel/oil is what you need to maintain.

There are guys with 1000 + hours that use them for fishing. My opinion is outboards need to be run. They don’t like sitting and being used once or twice a year.

Yep....I've heard the only weak link on the 300xs is bad fuel..they like premium and I don't think they have knock control. Have friends in Florida with over 1000 hours with no problems, still running like new.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
FWIW - Always been a Mere guy, but Evinrude is offering a 10 year warranty on the new G2 outboards, and first scheduled service does not take pace until 500 hours. Very appealing if you have have a boat in the water year round and use often (aka Florida boating).

I’ve seen that and even seen Evinrude advertise some motors that need zero maintenance in their whole life. That doesn’t make a bit of sense to me. 500 hours is about the equivalent of changing your cars oil every 20k miles (assuming 40mph average) and it’s safe to say boat motors are worked a hell of a lot harder.

If you leave the boat in the water in FL year round, the motors and props are gonna he so gunked up with shit, changing the oil would be the least of your worries lol.

H2O

Reaction score
I’ve seen that and even seen Evinrude advertise some motors that need zero maintenance in their whole life. That doesn’t make a bit of sense to me. 500 hours is about the equivalent of changing your cars oil every 20k miles (assuming 40mph average) and it’s safe to say boat motors are worked a hell of a lot harder.

If you leave the boat in the water in FL year round, the motors and props are gonna he so gunked up with shit, changing the oil would be the least of your worries lol.

The G2 are new Gen 2 strokes...no oil to change...and if you don't have a boat lift, you trim your outboard completely out of the water when docked.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Pretty much like H2o says - A Lavey Craft ordered for East Coast looks like the clients 2750.

Id guess the lower would need an oil changeout every now and then?

With this thing hitting Max R in a few seconds on Elsinore with 5 peeps & fuel - there is clearly more left in it.

I understand these props come in 1" sizes which is really cool vs 4 blade bravo props typically jump 2 points and you have to make anything you want between with " a guy".

Boat will be at Desert Storm along with the 28 Evo Raceboat. Please go take a look! Have fun and drive safe!

UD

Last edited:

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Sorry for the change of pace here but wanted to add to help out whomever for longevity of the optimax engines - it is important that the air injectors and fuel injectors get flow tested and cleaned every x amount of years. I know cause I get them in weekly to perform that service from dealers and owners. The air injectors carbon up, Also psi testing is important of a running opti engine - a air compressor is used for the air injectors in which is 10 psi higher than the fuel injectors. somewhere like 90 psi and the fuel injectors like at 80 psi something like that. Also Merc recs DFI oil for optimax engines and IMO something like Merc quick kleen or yamaha ring free should be added in the gas to help cut down on carbon build up. Proper and on time maintenance is important with any marine engines for longevity. Anyways hope that helps down the road, even for the owner here of new engines.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Regarding 2 stroke oil, I was advised to use Mercury Racing 2 Stroke oil (not the DFI oil). This was verified through the engine owners manual, by merc via a phone call, and by Fallon Marine. Its the red stuff that STINKS.... lol

Lavey 29

Reaction score
The boat is very nice and in person better yet. Seen it twice so far. Outboard boats seem to be selling very well for the past 5 years and year over year have increase sales hugely. And it seems builders are designing and marketing for outboard apps more so than ever. IMO for the money the Lavey 24 with a single outboard is very hard beat for a new boat buy. Easy to store, easy to tow, easy on fuel, easier on maintenance and affordable for any boater. With an outboard engine installed the cockpit can be opened up making it seem way bigger than it is. Actually the 24 Lavey really is over a 25 ft boat.

Last edited:

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Regarding 2 stroke oil, I was advised to use Mercury Racing 2 Stroke oil (not the DFI oil). This was verified through the engine owners manual, by merc via a phone call, and by Fallon Marine. Its the red stuff that STINKS.... lol

You are 100 percent correct about the Merc Racing side here. My post as I left that out about the Racing side Optimax's. But Merc still recommends the DFI oil for Merc Optimax's as I mentioned. And you are correct it is red in color for the Merc racing oil.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I saw that boat all over the place this weekend! Looks great on the water!!

OC Mike

Reaction score
Very nice guys.
The hatch looks the same size as an outdrive.
What's going on under it, thought it would be smaller.
Still it's very nice. Always liked the 2750...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
2750 has engine compartment and seat bases molded into the design so they cannot really be changed like a 24 where you bolt the seat where you want.

It was pretty full up by the time the storage bins got factored in. Ill try to grab a pict.

UD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
2750 has engine compartment and seat bases molded into the design so they cannot really be changed like a 24 where you bolt the seat where you want.

It was pretty full up by the time the storage bins got factored in. Ill try to grab a pict.

UD
32FF1981-A480-4AED-959C-8725FC4023E1.jpeg

This is a 29 Nu Era but illustrates what Dave is saying. Forward of the big hole is seat back lower molded in and built in under seat coolers/storage compartments.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Heres how the engine bay looked before the storage went in - (see reflection of storage- in hatch mirror in pict 2) just like a I/O has.

the power steering system, isolators, batts took up a bunch of space as did the extra reservoirs.

All in all its super sanitary, usable with enough room to get in and work on stuff if you need to.

If it were mine - id have skipped the white and opted for clear over the core material - but he wanted the whole boat white where otherwise exposed.

UD

IMG_6043.jpg
IMG_4851.JPG

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I like all that room in there! Easy fuel filter changes. How many hrs approximately will that much two stroke run for?

OC Mike

Reaction score
Nicely done..
Are those drive reservoirs or injection reservoirs?
I know nothing about performance Wackers, other than I like them..

lavey jr

Reaction score
This boat has some new top end numbers this week
These speeds are all "real world" numbers with a fully loaded boat with anchor and all other day boating supplies as if you'd be using it on any ordinary day and 1/2 tank of fuel (aprox. 50 gal). The dry weight of this boat is 5100lbs.

91 MPH!! Spinning 14-7/8” x 30” Dewald Cleavers, 1/2" bellow the bottom, at 6100 RPM and still getting 25 PSI of water pressure so there's plenty of room to raise the engines up for more speed.

tvgjmcc.jpg

PnoUn1u.jpg

JhbVGvf.jpg