WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New member / boat question

Shrekito

Reaction score
Good morning all,
I'm new to the forum and also have a boat / engine question. My wife and are going to make the jump to buying our first boat. We are looking at having Shockwave build us a boat. We are looking at a 21 skier with a jet. We mainly go to Blythe and might go to Havasu once a year. The base motor Shockwave sells with the 21 skier is a Kodik 6.0L. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? I know the midset is get a big block with jet, but motor technology has come a long way. Both my father in-law & brother in-law have performance boats but they have 496 motors. My one big concern is that I spend the dough to buy a new boat only to find out the 6.0L is guttless. On a side note it's only my wife and I, we don't have kids and would at a rare occasion have four people in the boat. Thanks in advance.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I'm new to the forum and also have a boat / engine question. My wife and are going to make the jump to buying our first boat. We are looking at having Shockwave build us a boat. We are looking at a 21 skier with a jet. We mainly go to Blythe and might go to Havasu once a year. The base motor Shockwave sells with the 21 skier is a Kodik 6.0L. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? I know the midset is get a big block with jet, but motor technology has come a long way. Both my father in-law & brother in-law have performance boats but they have 496 motors. My one big concern is that I spend the dough to buy a new boat only to find out the 6.0L is guttless. On a side note it's only my wife and I, we don't have kids and would at a rare occasion have four people in the boat. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to RDP!! Make sure to post pics of your build when it starts. I don't know much about jets, so can't really offer any advise. I do know that the Marine Power LSA 6.2L is a bad mofo and that is what I would be running if I was building a jet.

Andy B.

Reaction score
If your building a new boat always go 2-3 ft longer that's a lot to shell out. Trust me you will always have more people on your boat than you think and instead of having a boat for 5 years the bigger one will last 20 years! I wish I had some info on the motor, I've had two boats one with a 305 Chevy and my present one with a 502. both those motors worked well for me! Good luck and welcome to RDP!!!!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Welcome to RDP!! Make sure to post pics of your build when it starts. I don't know much about jets, so can't really offer any advise. I do know that the Marine Power LSA 6.2L is a bad mofo and that is what I would be running if I was building a jet.

Plus One!

The op needs to sit down and talk with Anderson about that upgrade.If I recall they did one of their little deck boats with a jet and that package.It's over 500hp,should push a 21 Skier pretty good.:thumbup:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Good morning all,

Personally I would look at the Marine Power motor very closely.. Great HP to weight ration and it being shorter gives you more interior room.

RD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Personally I would look at the Marine Power motor very closely.. Great HP to weight ration and it being shorter gives you more interior room.

RD

That setup would def get it on and be fuel efficient. Plus the sound :D

j-bone

Reaction score
Welcome to RDP.

I had a 2005 Shockwave 21 foot skier that was built for me. I was very happy with it. It is a very stable boat for the size. I believe it is heavier than other boats in its class. With that being said, I had mine built with a Marine Power carbed 502. I believe it is rated at 400 hp +/-. My American Turbine jet was installed with a full setback, with a droop, inducer, "A" impellor, and ride plate. It also had the hydraulic diverter.

In that configuration, the boat was very quick to get on plane and cruised well. Its top speed was lower than I hoped, just over 60mph. I later installed a GM Performance ZZ502 which is rated at 502 hp. Even with 502 hp, it would get to around 68 mph at W.O.T.

Lastly, the 21 ft jet with the big block sucked gas. I could easily use 50 gallons in two days, and much of that was sitting on the sandbar.

Compare that to my 26 ft deck boat that has a 496 HO with I/O. It is almost as quick to get on plane and is faster at W.O.T. Plus it gets way better gas mileage.

My recommendation would be to go I/O unless you absolutely want a jet. Just know that it will take horse power to get that boat with a jet to go fast. If I were going to buy new again, I would get the most hp I could afford.

Good luck.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We built out boat last season. Only thing I would do different it more power. Next build will be w the merc 600

Singleton

Reaction score
We built out boat last season. Only thing I would do different it more power. Next build will be w the merc 600

You will never have enough HP. However one day you will learn what is fast enough. I don't go above 50mph when I have my kids on the boat. And when just the wife and me 75 is fast enough. Yes I would like to go faster but after thinking about it, not worth it. When my 496HO goes I will upgrade to something, but my limit is 600HP in my 26 deck.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You will never have enough HP. However one day you will learn what is fast enough. I don't go above 50mph when I have my kids on the boat. And when just the wife and me 75 is fast enough. Yes I would like to go faster but after thinking about it, not worth it. When my 496HO goes I will upgrade to something, but my limit is 600HP in my 26 deck.

There is a pretty big chance my next build will be a 270 python and i would like the 600. Of course I've never ridden on a deck boat or cat sooooo I could be getting ahead of myself [emoji4]

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Good choice going jet for that section of the river. You will eat props going I/O.

A jet is going to suck gas, can't get around it. I'd go bigger power that you think you need. Over build it now and you will be much happier in the end.