WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New member very old boater.

Reaction score
Just my luck, I decide to join the group and they delete my category. That's ok I fit in a couple of others. I know you guys are always asking for pictures so I chose one that was most appropriate for my avatar. It also is the reason for the name. The picture was taken last March just before the lockdown. My son and I were pulling the boat out of it's resting place where it had been sitting for the past 15 years. I was really pissed off when I parked it and I got motivated by a grandson wanting to know why grandpa didn't do something with that boat parked in the carport. I spent the next 3 months refitting it and it's now back lake worthy up here in the frozen Northwest. It still needs some body work but is pretty much where I want it. I can't afford nor am I both young and motivated enough to build one the Hot rods that most of you guys run. I also chose the avatar so you guys could get all of your digs in early. Yes, we are pulling it with a Ford ( my son's truck ), I realize there aren't enough axles on the trailer and you can't see but it's a jet with an Olds engine. We also own 6 waterlice and a pontoon. I'm also attaching a couple of pictures of the boat just before taking it the lake in July. The story of how the boat was born in 1975 as 1.0 and became 2.0 in 1995 and was reborn 2020 is another thread if anyone is interested. My hands are starting to cramp, so it's time to bail. One more thing this website and you members have been one of the few bits laughter and fellowship that has kept me going the last year. Thanks! 20200724_145240.jpg 20200817_093713.jpg 20200818_135709.jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Regardless of propulsion choice, that is a great looking hull and yours is a beauty. Many of us have owned jet boats in the past, not many talk about it though. Where do you boat?

Lets see that 3.0 build thread!

Reaction score
That's high praise coming from you lenmann! I've admired and been amazed at the work you've been doing for the past year. Obviously I can't take any credit for the hull, other than being lucky enough to buy it 26 years ago. There really isn't much of a 3.0 thread to look at and nothing all that spectacular was done. I mentioned that I was more than a little upset when I put the boat away now 16 years ago. That was the due to the fact that the boat had sunk the week before and what was pristine 30 year old Schiada hull now had scrapes and gouges in part of it. Up until that point the only thing that was needed was the belt line ( at least that's what I call it ) needed to be repainted. That was planned for the following winter when it sunk. The sinking confirmed my longtime belief that no good deed goes unpunished. I have had boats for over 50 years and never really left one unattended at the dock. By unattended, I mean not be at the lake with it. I had a lake place for years and yes the boat slept at the dock, but when I left to go home the boat went in the garage. The reason it was at the lake in a slip was I decided to have the trailer sandblasted and powder coated. This process was going to take a couple of weeks and I needed to get the boat off of the trailer. My first thought was to engineer some temporary cradle, lift the boat up and drag the trailer away. Everyone thought I was an idiot. Not all that uncommon! A good friend has a lake place up at the lake where I used to have property. He offered to let me use his unused slip. Needless to say " Everyone " thought that was the smart thing to do. One day before getting the trailer put back together after finally getting it back from the powder coaters, a rare summer storm with severe winds out of the Northeast hit the lake. The boat with it's 10 inches of freeboard didn't stand a chance. We retrieved the boat and had it running again the same day. In fact my son took it back to the lake the following week and ran it around just to show all the old farts at the dock that said it would never run again. Unfortunately for me the boat was scarred for life and I just couldn't get motivated to do the work to restore it again. I built it the first time and done several major fixes this time it seemed a bridge to far. So, back to 3.0 what I had to do was tedious but not too technical. Sitting all of that time the steering, diverter and reverse cables all seized up. The carburetor needed to be rebuilt along with a new fuel pump. Some of the wiring and couple of gauges had to be replaced. The biggest hassle was all of the interior had to come out to be cleaned and re-stapled after spending a day under water. I designed the interior with a sub floor in the passenger area so I took this opportunity to re-carpet it. For some strange reason I still had carpet left from the original build and had held onto it. So that's the long winded story of 2.0 to 3.0. To complete the 3.0 restoration it still needs that beltline paint and now some gelcoat work as a result of the sinking. That would make it cosmetically the way it was when I first built it 26 years ago. I do have pictures of boat underwater and the recovery that I may post sometime. I wish that I had your energy and talent, the body work would be done by now!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Welcome to rdp 3.0!
Great story and even cooler that it was your grandson who remotivated the 3.0 resurrection. With less and less youngsters interested in motorsports it's a breath of fresh air to hear your tale.👍😎👍

Reaction score
Thanks, Ziggy!
Currently my grandson's favorite lake activity is fishing off of our pontoon boat. He also likes to tube off of it also. I think his interest was that he's seen more tubers riding behind conventional boats than pontoons. However, after riding in the Schiada he hasn't asked to go tubing with it yet. I'm attaching a couple of pics, him with his prize catch from last season and him and me taking a test run.

Attachments

• 0623201332a.jpg
    0623201332a.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 111
  • VideoCapture_20200817-173935.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200817-173935.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 104

Wedgy

Reaction score
Welcome. Great story, good job sticking with it. Good Gpa! I'd be bummed too if mine sank under those circumstances. No shame in that. Glad you saved it. Its been a Family Affair, and that is super cool.

Not many Olds Jets running around. Learned to ski behind one on Lake Havasu. Piloted by a jealous new BF of an ex GF. Oh Nooooo 😆 🤣 😂

Schiada On!!