WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New MerCruiser-Cummins "Zeus" Drive

BajaMike

Reaction score
Looks interesting.....for big cruisers.....

zeusMain.jpg

"INTRODUCING ZEUS. One of the most distinctive features of the 41 Heritage EU is her innovative propulsion system. For the first time, Grand Banks has designed a boat without a traditional inboard shaft drive.

Instead, the 41EU features the Zeus propulsion system from Cummins MerCruiser Diesel - the world's most advanced marine propulsion system. Combining 15 years of testing and research, it delivers an unparalleled level of safety, performance and vessel control.

Using the Zeus pod drives and a joystick control system (in addition to a traditional helm wheel), Zeus means you will never again have to worry about wind and current when you approach the dock."

zeusControl.jpg

"SKYHOOK ELECTRONIC ANCHOR. Automatically maintain a completely stationary position, even against wind and current. Just step away from the helm to set lines and fenders, while the GPS-based system directs each pod drive to move and thrust as needed to hold steady."

zeusSteerable.jpg

"STEERABLE PODS. Zeus pods are independently steerable. The full force of each pod's thrust is directed independently to achieve much greater efficiency in maneuvering."

:beer

Looks kinda like those Volvo drives Dave posted a while back.....only these have the props behind the drive instead of in front of it....;)

:bday

BajaMike

Reaction score
Pictures above fixed by Forensic.....

overviewMain.jpg

:bday

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
The Zeus drives are allegedly much safer than the Volvo Penta’s Inboard Performance System (IPS) drives. Personally I think Volvo got wind of what Mercury was doing and rushed their system into production without real world R/D data. I have been told about several instances were people injured due to the drives malfunctioning while the vessel was at speed. You don’t hear/read too much about them because both the boat builder & Volvo try and keep it on the DL. I recall someone telling me about a large Tiara Express Cruiser, and people getting thrown from the boat, when the operator went to turn and the drives exceeded their rotating abilities.

I’ve been driving twin screw boats of various sizes since I’ve been 8 y/o, but this method is a whole different animal. For someone who has never driven a twin engine boat, the Zeus & IPS systems will be much easier for them to learn to maneuver/dock the boat, than those of us who learned maneuvering/docking via shifting and throttling. I drove a Cruiser’s Yacht, with one of the very first IPS drives and I had a hell of a time trying to dock it, with that damn joystick.

If I had my I had to choose between the two, I’d have the Zeus’s over the IPS’s, purely for the fact that the props are protected more by being in the rear of the drive, vs. the IPS’s which are in the front part of the drive. With the Zeus Drive, you’re going to have a better chance to make it back to the dock under your own power if you hit something at speed, since your props are protected. With the IPS drives the drive itself is designed to break free from the bottom of the hull.

I will more than likely never own a boat that has either drive system unless they start installing them on Sportfishing boats. And since Brunswick Corp, owns Albemarle, Cabo, and Hatteras, not to mention Mercury Marine & Cummins, who knows what they’ll do?

BajaMike

Reaction score
The "computerized" control system is probably great when it works....when it fails.....you are in deep sheet.

The "SKYHOOK ELECTRONIC ANCHOR"..... Automatically maintain a completely stationary position, even against wind and current via the autopilot system.......is a great feature.

But most harbor and river pilots I know can do that manually on 300' or 400' ships....but it's still a nice feature.

:bday DAVE!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'd love to have a system like that on a wakeboard boat.
They don't back for beans, and slow speed handling sux with a direct drive.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I'd love to have a system like that on a wakeboard boat.
They don't back for beans, and slow speed handling sux with a direct drive.

The system would be neat in a single engine application. However, I don’t see any wakeboard boat manufactures installing these drives in the boats they build. They’d be ahead to offer boats with stern drives. Plus trailering would be a bitch!

If there is one thing I dislike about inboard boats (direct drive & v-drive) is the how bad they handle at slow speeds, forward & reverse. I got to drive a MasterCraft X-80 several years ago when they started building it with twin engines. The only redeeming quality is the twin engine setup, it makes backing down and slow speed maneuverability, so much easier. It really surprises me that other wakeboard boat builders didn’t come out with their version of a twin engine behemoth!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The big selling point on WB boats is Gallons per hour fuel burn.

It's almost the first most important issue with buyers we're told.
A huge difference in GPH between the 360 HP and the 400 hp options with little improvement in performance.
It's bragging rites really.

Epic wakeboard boats offers dual rudders that really has improved low speed manuevering and backing.

You'll have to take our Tige' for a spin. It's fun to drive, super smooth ride in the chop, lots of power and turns on a dime.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think your right that Volvo rushed theirs to market to get it out before this one.. Ultimately though the props on the front will work better when they get it dialed. ;)

RD