WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

NEW MERCURY V8 INTAKE VENTS

randycorson

Reaction score
I am pretty excited to announce the “Venom Vent” is now in production! Patent pending. This drop in vent will fit all Mercury V8’s. We have made a mold of Steve Bishop's handcrafted design in effort to create a clean affordable solution to bringing more air into the heavy breathing V8, and cut down on pulling exhaust through the rear air plenum. Every one is hand laid glass, finished, and painted. It will come with a template to cut the holes and access to a "HOW TO INSTALL" Youtube video. Installs with this two-sided tape or can be siliconed or epoxied in. We will doing performance gain tests soon. $495 a set plus shipping. Custom colors available. Installation video will be available shortly. To order, email [email protected]

[email protected]
COWL VENTS.jpg
COWL WITH VENTS.jpg

Last edited:

HCP3

Reaction score
Nice. I am surprised Mercury didn't figure this out during R&D. Good on you 👍🏼.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Nice. I am surprised Mercury didn't figure this out during R&D. Good on you 👍🏼.

Mercury's using these engines to push fat tubs around where they're allowed to be lazy. Randy is ragging those fuckers out and making them do some heavy breathing! I think these are going to be a hit.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Would be cool to flip the scoops as well. Both options for the consumer.
Let it breath either way. Can't win if you don't play.
Looks good.

attitude

Reaction score
Looks way better than the vents DCB was using on one of there twin 450 M33s. Are you getting any extra MPH? I know guys were running with the cowls off and gaining quite a few MPH.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Looks way better than the vents DCB was using on one of there twin 450 M33s. Are you getting any extra MPH? I know guys were running with the cowls off and gaining quit a few MPH.

This reminds me of my HF 3500W generator....I couldn't find any real good place for the air to come in so I opened up the oil check access door with it running and if I let go of it about 1/2 way open...it'll suck slam it back shut.

randycorson

Reaction score
We plan on doing some testing with the vented cowl and stock cowl soon! Acceleration and top end. Only problem with the 450 on a 22 Liberator is that every prop hits the limiter. I'll load the boat with passengers to see the difference in top end. Stopwatch for acceleration.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
IMHO, regardless of performance gains, these are a homerun!! They really break up the overly bland cowl and add some attitude to them I think. Kimda like the alien cowlings do on a 300x and xs.

Awesome job Randy!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Will look awesome in carbon, and a silver carbon would as well be an awesome touch, not that I’m in the wacker club tho.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
I'll take a set, please let me know when you have them available. Thx

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The extra air won’t lean it out with the stock ecu calibration?

Outdrive1

Reaction score
They do look great though.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
These are just helping get more air flow towards the intake and not adding more air past the throttle body and MAF.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
In short no. These motors probably have map or maf sensors the measure the air coming in and adjust fuel to that. Think about crazy hot days where the air is much thinner it will adjust fuel to that also. I've heard of people pulling the cowls completely off and picking up mph just from that. Obviously the don't run the boat like that all the time.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Mercury is pretty precise. I know if you change an XS cowling to an Alien cowl, and you don’t do the DBR recal. You can burn it down. I’d guess these motors are built to the same standards. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Just saying, but I could be way off base.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Mercury is pretty precise. I know if you change an XS cowling to an Alien cowl, and you don’t do the DBR recal. You can burn it down. I’d guess these motors are built to the same standards. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Just saying, but I could be way off base.
I'm wondering if that has more to do with the 4 stroke versus 2 stroke thing. Making heat twice as frequently in the smokers make it more susceptible to lean conditions.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I would imagine that the new 4stokes are a closed loop fuel system with an o2 sensor to compensate and adjust.

I'm not aware of the 2strokes being a closed loop. More an open loop system with no o2 to compensate, so in turn it all has to be done through the ECU manipulation.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I would imagine that the new 4stokes are a closed loop fuel system with an o2 sensor to compensate and adjust.

I'm not aware of the 2strokes being a closed loop. More an open loop system with no o2 to compensate, so in turn it all has to be done through the ECU manipulation.

I didn’t realize they were closed loop. That’s a huge difference. 👍

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score

I was told supercharged engines also have knock sensors, they will also bleed off boost in bad conditions in effort not to damage the engine.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I was told supercharged engines also have knock sensors, they will also bleed off boost in bad conditions in effort not to damage the engine.

Even their old stuff, like 90’s 454mags and such had knock sensors that would retard timing. But closed loop was never really used with wet exhaust. They’ve obviously solved all those issues.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
Even their old stuff, like 90’s 454mags and such had knock sensors that would retard timing. But closed loop was never really used with wet exhaust. They’ve obviously solved all those issues.
Yea for sure. The technology just in sensors alone has come a long ways. Agree on the closed loop with the wet exhaust, that is a huge advantage just from a tuning perspective.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
Yea for sure. The technology just in sensors alone has come a long ways. Agree on the closed loop with the wet exhaust, that is a huge advantage just from a tuning perspective.

Exactly Jimmy, these are modern engines with tons of tech in them and that's why I'm not worried about leaning it out LOL. It's all metered/sensored, all these vents are doing is helping provide the airflow the computer is asking for.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Exactly Jimmy, these are modern engines with tons of tech in them and that's why I'm not worried about leaning it out LOL. It's all metered/sensored, all these vents are doing is helping provide the airflow the computer is asking for.

Actually what the vents are doing is introducing fresh/cold air, not pulling the hot/stagnant air from inside the cowl. It has nothing to do with "airflow provided" as that was established at the factory.

And will the fuel system "compensate" enough for the "new" air(as most systems only compensate 10%-20% + - the fuel map in the ECU.) Time will tell.. and, will merc honor the warranty with these installed?

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
FWIW....DCB has their own version of these now. Take a close look at a few of the recent M37R's. I've chatted with Tony about a set and I didn't get the impression you had to mess with the programming at all. The answer was as stated, essentially at top speed they will introduce more fresh air and reduce pulling in exhaust. As an old motor builder buddy of mine used to say all the time - "Its an edge...".

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Should help with pulling spray into the cowl too... Not enough to worry about in fresh water, but salt spray causes all sort of issues!

Should be a home run!