WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Mill

shan

Reaction score
So, I'm mostly a lurker on RDP, but this section seems tame and more my speed. I finally got my my new Haas MM2 yesterday. It's going to be a huge learning curve. I have previous experience with a VF3, and previous experience with another Autodesk solid modeler (I'm going to use Fusion), so at this point my goal is to not crash it.
tempImageGj4nn3.jpg

Last edited:

shan

Reaction score
#1 There is nowhere to hide! :D

#2 I can't find my -- "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!" GIF ;)
Figured it out, it was more a problem with transferring the photo from one device to another.:) The HFO still has to come completely assemble it, so not ready yet. I have to provide power and air.

Reactions: DLC

lenmann

Reaction score
Awesome and congrats! I looked real hard at the same machine. Can you share some background on the application (what your going to do with it), where its being installed, etc.?

Is it a three phase machine or single phase?

Why new vs. used?

How did you option it?

How long did it take to get?

Sorry about the interrogation. I just spent the last two hours catching up on the Speed UTV thread after being on the lake for a week without cell signal. I need something positive like a fellow inmate getting a new toy!

shan

Reaction score
Awesome and congrats! I looked real hard at the same machine. Can you share some background on the application (what your going to do with it), where its being installed, etc.?

Is it a three phase machine or single phase?

Why new vs. used?

How did you option it?

How long did it take to get?

Sorry about the interrogation. I just spent the last two hours catching up on the Speed UTV thread after being on the lake for a week without cell signal. I need something positive like a fellow inmate getting a new toy!
All good questions that I noodled on for a long time! It's new, I've rebuilt more than a few used tools, and I'm over that. I started out looking at their toolroom mills. Mostly because I wanted the extra travel. What swayed me was the mass between each. I thought the MM was a stiffer machine. It's heavily optioned. Haas sells everything as a very base machine. By the time I had this optioned the way I wanted it the price was close to the price of a VF2. It will run on 40A SF or lower amp 3 PH. I don't have 3 PH, and adding a Phase Perfect convertor for a VF2 was going to be +$8k, so that was significant.

I added rigid tapping, WIPS - wireless intuitive programming, a 10k grease packed spindle, a 20 tool carousel, and a chip auger. I'm probably forgetting something, All of those options are significant $, but in my opinion money well spent.

Lead time was 33 weeks, and then another month to get the riggers to deliver it here. All that will probably change next year, as will the price.:mad:

What am I going to do with it? I'm not sure. I have a 2 axis Bridgeport EZTrack a 16x40 manual lathe and other things. I like building things, I like V-drive boats, and I'm going to retire in a few years, so I'll figure it out. :)

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
All good questions that I noodled on for a long time! It's new, I've rebuilt more than a few used tools, and I'm over that. I started out looking at their toolroom mills. Mostly because I wanted the extra travel. What swayed me was the mass between each. I thought the MM was a stiffer machine. It's heavily optioned. Haas sells everything as a very base machine. By the time I had this optioned the way I wanted it, itwas close to the price of a VF2. It will run on 40A SF or lower amp 3 PH. I don't have 3 PH, and adding a Phase Perfect convertor for a VF2 was going to be +$8k, so that was significant.

I added rigid tapping, WIPS - wireless intuitive programming, a 10k grease packed spindle, a 20 tool carousel, and a chip auger. I'm probably forgetting something, All of those options are significant $, but in my opinion money well spent.

Lead time was 33 weeks, and then another month to get the riggers to deliver it here. All that will probably change next year, as will the price.:mad:

What am I going to do with it? I'm not sure. I have a 2 axis Bridgeport EZTrack a 16x40 manual lathe and other things. I like building things, I like V-drive boats, and I'm going to retire in a few years, so I'll figure it out. :)
Very cool, pretty much the same reasons I was looking at the MM as well.

Please share the journey as you get her set up and the chips start flying. My v-drive project may be wrapped up but I like making stuff as well, I may get back in the game at some point.

shan

Reaction score
Very cool, pretty much the same reasons I was looking at the MM as well.

Please share the journey as you get her set up and the chips start flying. My v-drive project may be wrapped up but I like making stuff as well, I may get back in the game at some point.
I'll try, I won't share the crashes.:p BTW, I followed your build thread and have to say that was some awesome work!