WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Nav Radio

Patyacht

Reaction score
My stock Nav radio is dying. I have the original REC Uconnect radio in my 2006 DODGE RAM 2500. It is the REC 6 CD PLAYER RADIO MP3 GPS REC NAVIGATION Radio. I'm on my 3rd or 4th disc and am getting a lot of navigation disc read errors again.
I think my options are to replace the unit with same original REC for about $800 (old school DVD based system), try another disc or buy a new state of the art radio. I don't think I can upgrade to the latest and greatest Uconnect Radio with Nav so I believe I'm stuck with the latest and greatest aftermarket. If that is the case, I've narrowed the field to either the Kenwood DNN991 or the Pioneer AVIC-8000. S I'm looking for all you radio tech guys to help me out with this decision.

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1. Can I upgrade my old REC Uconnect 2006 vintage to current state of the art Uconnect radio and if so what has to be done? And of course how much about?
2. Of the after market options which is best and why: KENWOOD DNN991HD or PIONEER8000NEX.
3. With SEMA knocking on the door any surprises expected? For the insider, SHOULD I WAIT?

Years ago I would have just bought a new truck but they are tooooo dam expensive these days.
Thanks for any input.
OLD RADIO -REC MODEL
1 REC Radio Front.jpg

KENWOOD DDN991HD
KENWOODDNN991.jpg

PIONEER AVIC-8000NEX
PIONEER8000NEX.jpg

Enen

Reaction score
I just replaced the head unit in my truck. I went through this exact process.

Do you have a smartphone? iPhone or Android? If the answer is yes, save your $ and do not buy a head unit w Nav. Kenwood has an app that takes the Nav from your phone and puts it on the head unit display.

The high end units have some really cool features. Some of them will read your text messages to you. The problem with the feature rich units is they have so much software on them. They run slow.

I would look for HD radio, and 5 volt pre-outs. I chose Kenwood, and it was under $600.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I just replaced the head unit in my truck. I went through this exact process.

Do you have a smartphone? iPhone or Android? If the answer is yes, save your $ and do not buy a head unit w Nav. Kenwood has an app that takes the Nav from your phone and puts it on the head unit display.

The high end units have some really cool features. Some of them will read your text messages to you. The problem with the feature rich units is they have so much software on them. They run slow.

I would look for HD radio, and 5 volt pre-outs. I chose Kenwood, and it was under $600.

What model did you get? My eclipse just stopped working.

Strabo

Reaction score
Does kenwood make another unit like it with a remote?