WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Silverado 1/2 ton diesel

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Anybody had any experience with the new inline 6? Been thinking about one for the wife but being a new motor im a little gun shy. I like the inline configuration and the fact that it is an 80 series trans, but other then that i dont know much about that drive train

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Lets get to the bottom line.....how much will it tow.:D

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Just from what I’ve read, it’s an all new purpose built motor, the 10-speed is legit and the “claimed” MPG numbers are unreal. If it’s the real deal I’ll be upgrading my wife’s 2.8 4-cyl Canyon diesel as I’m only averaging around 24-25 with it. What’s disappointing is the Sierra version looks 3x better than the Silverado (in my opinion) but supposedly gets significantly worse mpg due to aero factors.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Shows 9300. Ive got a new 3/4 ccsb gasser but im looking at mileage now that the boat stays in havasu. Even at that i tow a 27' formula fastec, that boat is only in the 7-8k range loaded.

Besides, i think a slammed 1/2 ton duramax would be different and cool

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Just from what I’ve read, it’s an all new purpose built motor, the 10-speed is legit and the “claimed” MPG numbers are unreal. If it’s the real deal I’ll be upgrading my wife’s 2.8 4-cyl Canyon diesel as I’m only averaging around 24-25 with it. What’s disappointing is the Sierra version looks 3x better than the Silverado (in my opinion) but supposedly gets significantly worse mpg due to aero factors.

A Sierra and a Silverado are going to have about the same aero. There is not any mileage difference with any of the other powertrains, why would the diesel be magically different?

Loo Dog

Reaction score
A Sierra and a Silverado are going to have about the same aero. There is not any mileage difference with any of the other powertrains, why would the diesel be magically different?
The numbers say different. As in 3mpg lower across the board. And they claim it’s a “styling” difference. AKA aero. Maybe the Chev with a diesel has one of those magic air dams on the front that scrape every curb stop in town, I dunno.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Very strange to see a such a big difference in highway mpg...

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The numbers say different. As in 3mpg lower across the board. And they claim it’s a “styling” difference. AKA aero. Maybe the Chev with a diesel has one of those magic air dams on the front that scrape every curb stop in town, I dunno.

That could be, but why they would put it on one truck and not another is odd. I bet the difference turns out to be BS in real life.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Honest question..

Maybe the Chevy has like a 3.08 or 3.15 rear gear option that the GMC does not have? Or maybe they tested the Chevy with the freeway flyer gears and the GMC with the 3.42 towing gears. That would yield a 3mpg difference on the highway.

Reactions: DWC

Loo Dog

Reaction score
The similarly equipped Sierra is tow rated at 200 lbs less as well, so you may be on to something there with the gearing. But then again, that’s kind of backwards logic.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
3.23 gears in both 4wd models was all I could find.

pronstar

Reaction score
Are the wheels/tires the same?
The weight difference between 18’s and 20’s can have an impact in mpg...?

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Now that I’m old as F, I’ve learned at least one thing. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM GM for the first few years in production!!!!!
GM uses you and your money for in the field Beta testing.
This coming from an X Chevy sales manager and three time GM lemon law client.
There’s NO way I’d buy that for a few years.

Just my two cents.

And YES, I’ll still sell your North County Coastal Home’s for 1% all day long :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
Reviving this...here’s the difference in mpg explained.

EPA tests volume-selling configurations.

The average Sierra is equipped a lot more options than the average Silverado.
More options = more weight (including larger/heavier wheels)

More weight means less mpg

You’d be surprised how options and packages influence mpg numbers. Often, heavy options are EPA-restricted to a certain percentage of the build, so that a carmaker can tout a higher mpg number if they don’t exceed this build percentage with the option.

“Heavy” options include sunroofs, larger wheels, seating configurations (e.g bench vs buckets, or a third row), etc.

Little known fact:
GMC Truck division is second only to Mercedes-Benz for average transaction price for volume carmakers...let that sink in. Half of all Sierras and Yukons sold, are Denali models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boatpi

Reaction score
Take a hard
Look and drive a f 150 diesel too.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
After thinking about the family shop truck that was bought new and has 264k on the clock with original motor and trans, I pulled the trigger on a new z71 5.3 truck. Loaded truck with the exception of leather and sunroof. Truck had a 56k window, i picked this one up in mesa for 39k. Drove it back to havasu then california and got 17-18 city and 20-21 hwy.

I get back with an update after i get the lowering kit on. I bought the inez hot rods 3/5 kit for the 4wd trucks, so we will see if i get any mpg gain.
IMG_43661.jpg
IMG_43681.jpg

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Buddy just picked up a 2020 Denali with the Diesel in so far so good motor is pretty quiet

pronstar

Reaction score
LOL that makes diesel vs gas break even at 150k miles for the Chevy and 155k miles for the gmc.

Not to mention the potentially scary costs for out-of-warranty repairs on the diesel.

Then add the fact that it’s a first-gen engine...no way I’ll be a beta tester for GM.