WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to forums, old Schiada flat owner

Kyle Kerby

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Kyle. I'm new to the forums and looking for good resources on doing a build myself. I recently inherited our childhood family boat from my dad, a 1971 Schiada flat bottom. About 15 years ago the boat sank at Saguaro Lake in AZ with my sister at the wheel, and it has sat on the trailer in my dad's backyard since. Now that I have it and a family of my own, I want to put it back together and raise my kids in it the way I grew up in it.

I am currently living and working in Saudi Arabia for 2 years, but as soon as I get home I intend to get on it. However I want to make some unorthodox changes to it to both make it my own as well as make it better for family use, but I have never set up a v drive drivetrain before so I was hoping to find some help here. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so I'm certain I'm capable of whatever I need to do, I just need the knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for the add and nice to meet everyone! Here's a photo of the baby!

20190311_112426.jpg

Kyle Kerby

Reaction score
What kind of “unorthodox” changes were you thinking?
So initially I had planned to do a Honda K24A4 turbocharged in it, but I have changed my mind and will just do a badass small block build on it so that I don't have to re rig anything. The main objective right now is to get her on the water and the family having fun. I still want to pursue something wild in the future but for ease of getting it onto the water, I'm going to keep the SBC setup for now. Boring as shit, but it'll get the boat in the water.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Not boring at all. On a true classic like you have just cleaning it up, fixing what is needed and keeping it original as possible is what's happening. Through transom exhaust if the boat had that is cool and user friendly. Cavitation plates? Does it have any?