WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New To Me Ferrari F430

Mikes56

Reaction score
So last weekend I bought my dream car. Something I've wanted all my life. My wife and I went to CNC Motorsports in Upland, just to look. I purposely left my Porsche and my checkbook at home. Yea, that didn't help lol.

I bought a 2009 Ferrari F430 with 14,000 miles on it. My question is for the owners or previous owners of F430's. What should I be watching out for as far as maintenance and servicing? There is an independent shop called R2, in Santa Clarita just 5 miles from my house, and I plan on them doing whatever I can't. I can change air filters, change oil, etc. Maybe motor mounts and spark plugs. Anything more than that, I think I should leave it to them. The 2009 has the MK II exhaust manifolds that are less prone to cracking. It also has the carbon ceramics brakes that don't wear out unless you track it.

Anyone know these cars and usual issues?

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I would only use GTO Enginnering in WLA, I know it’s not convent but they are the best. 424-303-7005. ask for Eric, tell him Jeff from Century Towing sent you.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Always like the 430s. Post some pictures and congrats.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Congratulations. That's awesome, but honestly this thread is worthless without pics.

attitude

Reaction score
Congrats! I would love to have an f430 in a manual. Iv always wanted a car with a gated shifter...

gqchris

Reaction score
Very familiar. Congrats! Great choice.

I have an awesome independent. Youre gonna need someone you can trust. http://www.rmtmotorsports.com/ Randy is awesome.

Come join us for rides and meetups. Usually Sunday mornings. Last weekend for Enzos birthday we had 22 F Cars:)

Things to look out for: Sticky Buttons? Is it gated? Hows the clutch %? Did you do a PPI?

Highly suggest Fabspeed headers even with the MKII's. Sound is intoxicating!

Last edited:

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Congrats, I'm sure your going to have a blast in it!

sirbob

Reaction score
Pics for sure !!!!

Conv? Hard top?

I like the 430 so much better than the 360 - I really like the sharper edges on the 430.

I used to use blackhorse in LA for service but I’m pretty sure they are gone now - GTO would be a good go to now. Although they do a lot of vintage

Mikes56

Reaction score
Congrats! I would love to have an f430 in a manual. Iv always wanted a car with a gated shifter...
CNC has 3 red 430's with gated shifters, but they are $50-$75,000 more just for stick. That pushed it past my budget.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I pick it up tomorrow. It's a coupe with the F1. I love the convertible, but I think the car looks awful with the top up because of the creases and plastic rear window. If the top fails and twists itself into a pretzel, it's crazy expensive to fix. That scared me away from the spider model.

I'll post pics when I get it home. Can someone tell me hos to post pics? I'll be taking the pics with my iPad and I'll be on this forum on the same iPad.

gqchris

Reaction score
I pick it up tomorrow. It's a coupe with the F1. I love the convertible, but I think the car looks awful with the top up because of the creases and plastic rear window. If the top fails and twists itself into a pretzel, it's crazy expensive to fix. That scared me away from the spider model.

I'll post pics when I get it home. Can someone tell me hos to post pics? I'll be taking the pics with my iPad and I'll be on this forum on the same iPad.

Good Call, my 360's top started swallowing itself. I got scared and sold it. The best story is when it happend pulling into Supercars at the Beach. Once the top gets stuck, you cant shift. So yea, that was fucking embarrassing and sold it a few months after.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So last weekend I bought my dream car. Something I've wanted all my life. My wife and I went to CNC Motorsports in Upland, just to look. I purposely left my Porsche and my checkbook at home. Yea, that didn't help lol.

I bought a 2009 Ferrari F430 with 14,000 miles on it. My question is for the owners or previous owners of F430's. What should I be watching out for as far as maintenance and servicing? There is an independent shop called R2, in Santa Clarita just 5 miles from my house, and I plan on them doing whatever I can't. I can change air filters, change oil, etc. Maybe motor mounts and spark plugs. Anything more than that, I think I should leave it to them. The 2009 has the MK II exhaust manifolds that are less prone to cracking. It also has the carbon ceramics brakes that don't wear out unless you track it.

Anyone know these cars and usual issues?

Do yourself a favor and buy the factory repair manual, follow it precisely, even an oil and filter change has a list of to do's and inspections.

It can also give you a heads up on what is required when something actually needs repair as well, helps keep the honest guys honest.

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you get many miles of fun out of it! Nothing quite like a Ferrari.....;)

530's recommendation of joining FerrariChat is excellent as well, lots of good information there.

Mikes56

Reaction score

I have an awesome independent. Youre gonna need someone you can trust. http://www.rmtmotorsports.com/ Randy is awesome.

Come join us for rides and meetups. Usually Sunday mornings. Last weekend for Enzos birthday we had 22 F Cars:)

Things to look out for: Sticky Buttons? Is it gated? Hows the clutch %? Did you do a PPI?

No sticky buttons so far, the clutch is 70% and I didn't do a PPI. It all looked super clean and CNC gave it a once over before they put it in the showroom. They changed the oil 2 months ago for the previous owner.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and buy the factory repair manual, follow it precisely, even an oil and filter change has a list of to do's and inspections.

It can also give you a heads up on what is required when something actually needs repair as well, helps keep the honest guys honest.

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you get many miles of fun out of it! Nothing quite like a Ferrari.....;)

530's recommendation of joining FerrariChat is excellent as well, lots of good information there.
I've been on Ferrarichat non stop since last weekend.

Mikes56

Reaction score

The Sunday morning rides sound great. Can you send me a contact or a schedule please?

spectras only

Reaction score
My son in the 430. Didn't care for the paddle shifter, I'd rather get a manual myself. Only problem owning a Ferrari here in Canada is, getting parts from dealers, They will not sell to the public directly. My friend had a Maranello and has a 599 now. He gets taken to the cleaners every time he's going for regular maintenance. Personally, I'd buy a 360 manual that I could work on myself. ;)

1583615516688.png

Mikes56

Reaction score
My son in the 430. Didn't care for the paddle shifter, I'd rather get a manual myself. Only problem owning a Ferrari here in Canada is, getting parts from dealers, They will not sell to the public directly. My friend had a Maranello and has a 599 now. He gets taken to the cleaners every time he's going for regular maintenance. Personally, I'd buy a 360 manual that I could work on myself. ;)

View attachment 852285
Mines identical to that, except it's the coupe. Lucky kid right there.
Ricambi or awitalian won't ship to Canada?

spectras only

Reaction score
I want to add to 530 post. The article was written in 2012.;)
Service Costs
Prices vary significantly; these are rough estimates for costs at an independent shop.

• Minor service (every year): $1,000
  • Major service (every 30,000 miles): $2,000
  • Clutch replacement: $5,500
  • Brakes (pads plus rotor resurfacing): $900
Mike, I love coupes over verts anytime. I have a 04 Miata with optional hardtop now for the track. I retired my Viper GTS from the track, the Miata is a ton of fun with no worries about fender benders. :D

gqchris

Reaction score
The Sunday morning rides sound great. Can you send me a contact or a schedule please?

I will PM you my number. Shoot me a text and honestly we decide a few days early before going so nothing is in concrete. Will keep ya in the loop. Usually its meet in Palos Verdes area and drive Orange County etc.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Service Costs
Prices vary significantly; these are rough estimates for costs at an independent shop.

Thank you for the info.
I don't plan on letting someone bend me over for a $1000 oil change. I just bought everything I need to do it for $90. The independent shop charges $400, yea no.

I do the maintenance on all my other toys that would put me in the poorhouse if I had a shop do them.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Service Costs

Mike, I love coupes over verts anytime. I have a 04 Miata with optional hardtop now for the track. I retired my Viper GTS from the track, the Miata is a ton of fun with no worries about fender benders. :D

You cannot resurface drilled rotors. They must be replaced.

You need to multiply those estimates by 200% if you are planning on anyone in SoCal to do it. 3x if you use a dealer.

Tank

Reaction score
Everyone I know with Ferrari’s around here takes their cars to the old head mechanic from Ogner. He opened a shop in Valencia. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head. I’ll try to find out. Guys supposed to be a wizard on Ferrari’s.
Congrats. Bitchin ride. Buddy has a bunch of ferraris and says the 430 is bullet proof.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Everyone I know with Ferrari’s around here takes their cars to the old head mechanic from Ogner. He opened a shop in Valencia. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head. I’ll try to find out. Guys supposed to be a wizard on Ferrari’s.
Congrats. Bitchin ride. Buddy has a bunch of ferraris and says the 430 is bullet proof.
If you could find that shop name in Valencia that would be great. I like every in Newhall. The independent shop I plan on using is named R2.

boatpi

Reaction score
Congrats those are nice cars and for the dollar amount you can’t beat the price much more reliable than the 360s. Maintenance is almost double of a Lamborghini but that’s just the way it is sometimes. Look I get the right exhaust he can’t beat the sound of that Ferrari V-8 over 7000.

P.m. me if you need a contact for specialty insurance rates I paid less than $1000 a year for my Lambo, it does have limited miles though and usage.

Drive it, don’t just look at it!

530RL

Reaction score
I typically buy parts from Algar or from Ricambi America.

New ones come with 7 years of maintenance included so that gives you an idea of true maintenance costs.

Once you get past 360’s you go to timing chains as opposed to belts and that saves a lot of money on maintenance.

Although with 360’s you don’t have to pull the engine to change the belt.

As boat pi says don’t be afraid to drive it no matter the weather. They hold up just fine as a daily driver.

I have a friend with an FF with door dings and over 70,000 miles. Never had a problem with it and never left him stranded.

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
CNC has 3 red 430's with gated shifters, but they are $50-$75,000 more just for stick. That pushed it past my budget.
The F1 F430s aren’t in my budget let alone a manual, but maybe one day. Enjoy yours sir 👍

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Congrats man! A 430 Scud is my dream car, and something on my bucket list to own.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I believe that is a challenge stradale.

Scuds are special edition 430’s.

Yep you are correct, that is a 360 Challenge, my mistake.

The 430 Scud is the one they can do the gated manual conversion on.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
One of my customers
He’s got a car problem like I do a boat problem, lol
Lic plates are 1 and 4 implying there’s at min a 2 and 3 somewhere, lol
And that’s just the Ferrari’s
EC5BF0E8-FFE7-44D9-A26F-892EF151E529.jpeg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
I don't plan on letting someone bend me over for a $1000 oil change. I just bought everything I need to do it for $90. The independent shop charges $400, yea no.

I do the maintenance on all my other toys that would put me in the poorhouse if I had a shop do them.
Isn’t the thing with Ferrari resale that it requires impeccable service records by reputable shops and dealers? I would be in the same mindset as you, I would want to do my own light maintenance. What say ye Ferrari owners?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I second Randy. He works on all of our cars as well.

3DF81460-5427-4DB4-83B6-8509DA8BB1A5.jpeg

530RL

Reaction score
Isn’t the thing with Ferrari resale that it requires impeccable service records by reputable shops and dealers? I would be in the same mindset as you, I would want to do my own light maintenance. What say ye Ferrari owners?

360 and prior V8’s people are looking for records relating to the “major service” which is the belt change.

The last 430’s are 2009 and the first ones are 2004 so most of them are no longer going to have only dealer service records. Most buyers are going to have a PPI done especially with the F1 gearboxes as they are quite pricey to fix when they break. The PPI will have a leak down test and a bunch of other inspections relating to that gearbox and the associated actuators and hydraulic systems.

With respect to oil changes and light maintenance, they will want to see some form of records, but contemporaneous parts receipts and the like are acceptable.

Starting in 2012, new cars came with 7 years of included maintenance. Those cars will all have dealer service records as it is “free”.