WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to ocean boating

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
My family has always been havasu and parker boaters but my dad recently bought his dream boat, a mystic m3800 center console with triple 400s. We’ve been out 3 weekends in row down in Newport and checked out all the spots. Emerald cove is fun to go and anchor in. Where else do you recommend going and hanging out?! We are going to do a Catalina run soon!

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sick boat and sick drone vid....good for your dad! Song?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Sweet ride. Tell your dad, when he's ready to run the Catalina Ski Race in style to let me know. 😁

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Backside of Catalina more towards San Clemente Island for BFT! Probably NO fishing on that badass rig.

Tank

Reaction score
Surprised you haven't run across to Catalina yet and explored the island via boat. Hit Two Harbors too, not just Avalon.

John Cosker is a good dude and builds a fantastic boat. Enjoy.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Congrats! Nice to see your Dad doesn't hold back.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I commented in the other thread but I will say it again, that is an amazing boat, congrats!

Cruise up to Long beach. Getting a view of the Queen Mary from the water is pretty cool. Some good bars and restaurants up there. Ballast Pointe is a favorite in Alameda Bay.

San Diego harbor is a cool trip too stay 500 yards from anything military at speed. There are a ton of waterfront restaurants and hotels. Check out Coronado, Seaport Village, Bali Hai on Shelter Island. Keep an eye out to the left just as you clear the breakwater. You will see a floating barricade on your port side. This is the Point Loma sub base. Pretty cool seeing the subs tied up when they are there. The city has a listing of all the dock and dine places. Most require a reservation so a little planning is required sometimes it doesnt matter though. https://www.portofsandiego.org/coming-and-going/boating-san-diego-bay/dock-and-dine. We will be down there again cruising next week.

Catalina and San Clemente island are completely worth the trip. Perfect time of year for it too.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I forgot Capt Jacks in Huntington Harbor best king crab in OC. Watch the aerials on the bridges in there some of them are pretty tight.

JLG614

Reaction score
I commented in the other thread but I will say it again, that is an amazing boat, congrats!

Cruise up to Long beach. Getting a view of the Queen Mary from the water is pretty cool. Some good bars and restaurants up there. Ballast Pointe is a favorite in Alameda Bay.

San Diego harbor is a cool trip too stay 500 yards from anything military at speed. There are a ton of waterfront restaurants and hotels. Check out Coronado, Seaport Village, Bali Hai on Shelter Island. Keep an eye out to the left just as you clear the breakwater. You will see a floating barricade on your port side. This is the Point Loma sub base. Pretty cool seeing the subs tied up when they are there. The city has a listing of all the dock and dine places. Most require a reservation so a little planning is required sometimes it doesnt matter though. https://www.portofsandiego.org/coming-and-going/boating-san-diego-bay/dock-and-dine. We will be down there again cruising next week.

Catalina and San Clemente island are completely worth the trip. Perfect time of year for it too.
Thank You! we did do Long beach one day and checked all that out, pretty cool up there

We want to do San Diego soon. I have been out on my brother in laws boat down there. Definitely really cool seeing all military stuff out there and the subs are pretty crazy

JLG614

Reaction score
I forgot Capt Jacks in Huntington Harbor best king crab in OC. Watch the aerials on the bridges in there some of them are pretty tight.
we love captain jacks, been going there for years. definitely the best king crab!

rivergames

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks bitchen.

Always check your marine forecasts (swells & wind).

You'll love mooring up at Catalina.

You can cruise your boat to the Ballast Point in Alamitos Bay and tie up at the dock right out front!

rivergames

Reaction score
OH Shit, I just put two and two together. This Josh? Andrew Games here. Tell your pops Congrats on picking up the new ride. Sick Boat Bud!

sirbob

Reaction score
Trailer ? Dry docked in Lido (edit - I don't think they do boats that big now that I think of it - do they?) or slip?

The easy spots have all been mentioned already but an early morning Catalina run should have happened already! You will be there in 45 min - go early, have breakfast and be back in Newport by lunch time!

The run to SD is great but can be a slog coming back up if the wind and swells are up. I would call SD a weekend run not there and back in the same day - Or (if you have one) trailer it down and launch down there.

Great day boat with lots of options...

Congrats to the family!

Last edited:

JLG614

Reaction score
OH Shit, I just put two and two together. This Josh? Andrew Games here. Tell your pops Congrats on picking up the new ride. Sick Boat Bud!
Yes its josh lol I'll let him know! thank you!

JLG614

Reaction score
Trailer ? Dry docked in Lido (edit - I don't think they do boats that big now that I think of it - do they?) or slip?

The easy spots have all been mentioned already but an early morning Catalina run should have happened already! You will be there in 45 min - go early, have breakfast and be back in Newport by lunch time!

The run to SD is great but can be a slog coming back up if the wind and swells are up. I would call SD a weekend run not there and back in the same day - Or (if you have one) trailer it down and launch down there.

Great day boat with lots of options...

Congrats to the family!
We trailer it. We don't have a dock and really don't want to leave it sitting in the water. It will mainly be in havasu during the summer and then over here for fall through spring.

When we do SD we will probably trailer there. we ran to dana point this weekend and it was a blast and took about 25 minutes so I couldn't imagine running it all the way to SD lol

sirbob

Reaction score
We trailer it. We don't have a dock and really don't want to leave it sitting in the water. It will mainly be in havasu during the summer and then over here for fall through spring.

When we do SD we will probably trailer there. we ran to dana point this weekend and it was a blast and took about 25 minutes so I couldn't imagine running it all the way to SD lol

Having the trailer opens up a lot of options! Plan a trip to Tahoe when the pro-am golf tourney is going on in the summer, beach right along the fairway with everybody hanging out on the beach watching golf.:) Lots of fan / boat interaction with the Pro- Am.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Nice, this is the route I'm working on doing as I miss the big blue. Not a boat of this caliber but something I can fish on and still use in Havi when I want to.

Congrats to your dad!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Your boat is awesome - congrats!! Ocean boating is fun. We have a good time with the family. Catalina, LB on short trips for dinner.

PlanB

Reaction score
Launch in Dana Point and run down to SD. I don't know of any ramps in SD that have hoses on the ramps anymore to flush your motors. We live close to Oceanside Harbor, and we would trailer up to Dana Point to launch because it has nice ramp and big parking spaces. We would run from SD to Long Beach and everywhere in between (including Catalina). Check out all the harbors along the coast...

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
If you head to San Diego bay, you can beach along Coronado golf course. There is nice sand and kids can play ( if ya have them) . It’s located at the entrance to Glorieta Bay. It’s A haul from Dana Point, but great if the weather is cooperating. The way back can get sloppy with wind chop and running against the swell.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Nice, I'm looking at Edgewater / Everglades 29 or 33.....used. Will see what happens.

I have a buddy with a diesel powered Everglades. It runs damn good in some snot offshore and the fit and finish is great which cant be said for a lot of mass produced CC's. The back seat can be a little wet in the rough but I think that is common for the size its a great hull.

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
Launch in Dana Point and run down to SD. I don't know of any ramps in SD that have hoses on the ramps anymore to flush your motors. We live close to Oceanside Harbor, and we would trailer up to Dana Point to launch because it has nice ramp and big parking spaces. We would run from SD to Long Beach and everywhere in between (including Catalina). Check out all the harbors along the coast...

There is one I know of at in mission bay. There is a motorhome dump that has an open hose bib. Bring your own hose and gloves or soap to wash your hands after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
There is one I know of at in mission bay. There is a motorhome dump that has an open hose bib. Bring your own hose and gloves or soap to wash your hands after.

I know exactly where you are talking about. We launched a friend's boat there and used that hose, but like you said it's not for boat washdown. I guess as long as you don't get caught it's all good.

Taboma

Reaction score
If you head to San Diego bay, you can beach along Coronado golf course. There is nice sand and kids can play ( if ya have them) . It’s located at the entrance to Glorieta Bay. It’s A haul from Dana Point, but great if the weather is cooperating. The way back can get sloppy with wind chop and running against the swell.

Sure was a great place to stop and have our morning donuts after a nice early morning romp off Pt Loma 👍 Do we somewhat aware however, we used to fill a small bucket with all the golf balls we recovered in knee deep water. Oh and if you stand out in the water barefooted, keep moving, those damned sand fleas will start munchin on your ankles. We always kept our riding boots on after learning the hard way.
This pic is from August 2002, fun times and the water outside the harbor from the Zuniga Breakwater (Mostly submerged, so beware during low tide) to the Del Coronado Hotel was always like glass in the AM. We were up on Pt Loma recently and I noticed quite a few boats anchoring in there now. Not sure if they were day anchoring or using it as a transient anchorage ??

104-0407_IMG.JPG

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
I know exactly where you are talking about. We launched a friend's boat there and used that hose, but like you said it's not for boat washdown. I guess as long as you don't get caught it's all good.

I once watched someone fill their fresh water tank from there. I just drove the short 30 minutes home and give everything a good rinse with salt away.