WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to Spectra Marine

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a new guy on this page and have been looking through your posts and projects for a while.. I got into Spectras a few years back and have been restoring one.. still a few months off but working hard to finish. I posted a friends boat on here over the weekend (Pink to Purple Spectra 20) and it has been pretty cool seeing the replys and and getting info from everyone out there.

I wanted to post a few pics that I have on my project.. Here are some of the trailer construction just a few things left and then paint. I will try to get some of the boat. We have popped the cap off the boat replaced the stringers and all bulk heads.. just finishing some final glass work inside and then off to paint in Feb (I hope)

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture7.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I really wish I knew how to weld.. LOL It'd make my life so much easier. :D

did you move the other 2 axles forward? Or did you just add a third onto the back and extend the trailer?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I did move the front axel forward, I believe 6 to 8 inches, we cut everything off the trailer and put on all new hangers, springs etc. The trailer pulls great and even though it is fairly low at the prop guard it have less drag on driveways than I do with my flat bottom trailer, having that third axel back further is nice for going in and out of driveways.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you going to do a bow stand and a wench? Or a drawbar kind of setup?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Bow Stand with a winch, these pictures were shot right after we put the boat back on the trailer to check clearence for fenders and keel, we dropped the boat 4 incehs on the trailer and I was nervous about fit... eventhough we measured 100 times. My dad used to build a lot of trailers and he likes the boats low and tight...

We used 4" square tubing and set the bow stand at an angle, also the wheel/Jack is hidden on the trailer right behind the Bow Stand. A little more work to jack the thing off the truck but it looks pretty good.

I hope to have the trailer painted this January and I will post soem pics of it completed.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bow Stand with a winch, these pictures were shot right after we put the boat back on the trailer to check clearence for fenders and keel, we dropped the boat 4 incehs on the trailer and I was nervous about fit... eventhough we measured 100 times. My dad used to build a lot of trailers and he likes the boats low and tight...

We used 4" square tubing and set the bow stand at an angle, also the wheel/Jack is hidden on the trailer right behind the Bow Stand. A little more work to jack the thing off the truck but it looks pretty good.

I hope to have the trailer painted this January and I will post soem pics of it completed.

Got any pics of it in it's current state?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I'll look, I am new to the picture tec.. I did take some but with my wife's camera and they are on her computer. I am hoping to get a chance to work on the trailer the end of next week, have a little road trip to the farm planned.

Also just got a call from IMCO and my gas tanks are ready...I should be able to finish all the glass work on the boat this weekend.. I needed the tanks to make the rear mount, so I can fit the floors in as well.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'll look, I am new to the picture tec.. I did take some but with my wife's camera and they are on her computer. I am hoping to get a chance to work on the trailer the end of next week, have a little road trip to the farm planned.

Also just got a call from IMCO and my gas tanks are ready...I should be able to finish all the glass work on the boat this weekend.. I needed the tanks to make the rear mount, so I can fit the floors in as well.

Very cool.. :) Looking forward to watching it come together!

RD

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Some pictures of the boat when it was for sale back in 2004? (I think :rolleyes:) at Boulder Boats. I recall the boat having a 455 Olds and being offered for about $3500.

Looking forward to seeing the build. :thumbsup

Attachments

• 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive J.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive J.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 4,061
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive I.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive I.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 4,087
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive H.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive H.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4,172
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive G.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive G.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 4,193
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive F.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive F.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4,269
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive E.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive E.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 4,311
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive C.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive C.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 4,387
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive B.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive B.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4,450
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive A.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive A.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 4,470
  • 1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive K.jpg
    1974 Spectra 21 V-Drive K.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3,991
Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Yes, that is the story. I offerd the guy $2,500 in Jan of 06' and he took it, that is how I got into the Spectra. I wasn't ready to buy another project (nor was my wife) but he took what I felt to be a pretty low ball price, once I looked at the boat I knew the gear box (champion) and the velvet drive were in good shape so what the heck, I had space and could just start playing with it here and there.

This thing was very rough, the Olds was frozen up, cap was broke about 3/4 of the way around the deck (the reason for the duct tape on the deck) stringers were broke loose in a few spots and the trailer was a mess, axels were crooked, springs were broke. The trailer was so bad that it took an extra 30 gallons of fuel to DRAG that thing home.. I got a great deal.

I have a BBC for it now, the olds went to a guy in torrance who wanted to go drifting in a Delta 88 ?????. I pulled the engine apart for him so he could transport and found that 1 cylinder had a rust ring around it.... a quick hone and the thing turned over and the rest of it looked like it was brand new... but it was an Olds. Thank you for sharing the pictures, that was funny to see them on here

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you planning on adding cav plates? If so are you going to recess them into the bottom? Or off the back of the transom?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am running Cav plates and we are recessing the bottom.

With the new stringers in, I had three layers of glass on the old floor and I built up another 3 layers 9" off the transon to assure strength for the recess.. a bit over kill up what the heck. As soon as I get the boat over to B&K Boat Repair in Bellflower (that is where the Pink to Purple Spectra was done as well, Ken Meyers is like an Uncle to me) we will flip the thing over recess for the plates and finish the bottom off. The boat is just a bit to big to flip in my garage.. not enough room to run if I need to.

I found a great set of the Nicson ball & socket type turnbuckles, I believe this is what Spectra rigged the v-drives with that had plates. I am running a manual over ride set up, I like the look of two pedals up front, comes from my flatbottom lineage.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how they are going to cut the recess after the fact.. Router? What is the process?

Can you take pics of that when they do it?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
we will use a router..and yes I will take some pictures. They just finished a 76 Howard, (Spectra splash) converted from out drive to V-drive. I think they have some pictures...This was my brothers boat and he sold to another friend, came out beautiful, you cannot tell that the boat was an out drive. Original gel coat and stripes all matched up like it came out of the mold that way. Mark Strunk at B&K is a master at matching colors, his repairs are spotless and you can not tell where he starts or ends the new to the old.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've never heard of B&K before..

Got a contact # for them?

RD

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score
i believe b&k are located in bellflower at 14748 bellflower bvd number is 562 925 7111

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
B&K has been around since the mid 50's. Small shop just two guys. Ken Meyers the "K" in B&K has run the shop since the beginning and Mark Strunk has been there since the mid 80's. They do all types of fiber glass, wood repairs and custom paint.

The Pink Spectra I posted out of Anaheim Hills was done there, they also did "Mr Magoo" cracker box racer, You may have seen a Red Cole named "Rushin Roulette" that boat was destroyed when it came in, was missing 3/4 of the Port side. Right now Mark is doing a 21 RC Schiada, cap has been pulled, new stringers and a ton of mahogany have been put into this boat. I will ask if the owner will OK some pics being posted. If you have ever been in the new Hallett show room, over in the corner is a yellow wood decker that Kenny painted and finished the deck off, the deck was put on by harlin in Fallbrook, CA.

B&K is Located in Bellflower CA, 562-925-7111

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
B&K has been around since the mid 50's. Small shop just two guys. Ken Meyers the "K" in B&K has run the shop since the beginning and Mark Strunk has been there since the mid 80's. They do all types of fiber glass, wood repairs and custom paint.

The Pink Spectra I posted out of Anaheim Hills was done there, they also did "Mr Magoo" cracker box racer, You may have seen a Red Cole named "Rushin Roulette" that boat was destroyed when it came in, was missing 3/4 of the Port side. Right now Mark is doing a 21 RC Schiada, cap has been pulled, new stringers and a ton of mahogany have been put into this boat. I will ask if the owner will OK some pics being posted. If you have ever been in the new Hallett show room, over in the corner is a yellow wood decker that Kenny painted and finished the deck off, the deck was put on by harlin in Fallbrook, CA.

B&K is Located in Bellflower CA, 562-925-7111

Thanks! I'll give him a call!

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of popping the cap off and prepping the boat for the new main stringers. The two outside stringers were in great shape but the main ones were shot. In one of the pics you can see that the factory did not glass the stringers to the bottom of the boat, they just put a layup over the top and if the stringers were not shaped perfect they would fill any voids with resin...and a lot of it. The new stringers have 3 layers of glass under them, about 2" wide and then we set the stringers on the strips set up some jigs to hold everything straight and laminated them to the bottom of the boat, once these kicked we finished up with two layers of matt and 1 cloth from outside stringer to outside stringer.

Attachments are coming.... system is telling me that I am missing a security token, will try again later

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of getting the top deck prepped to go back on. We filled all holes (gas, vent, bimini, cleat) fixed some broken structure and gel coated the entire underside prior to glassing back together . The worst part of this whole thing was getting the contact glue off from where the brown shag carpet was under the deck. I ended up using MAP gas and a 4" puddy knife to melt and scrape it off, worked well and I did not catch anything on fire or melt anything!! Also we were talking about B&K boat repair, I attached two pics of my Dad's 63' Spitfire (he has had this since 65' sold his cracker box to get a family boat) with a 401 Nail Head, this boat was completly restored new stringes and new deck back in the late 90's by B&K.. Kenny also skinned the floors and front bulkhead in Mahogany to match the deck.

DSCF2185.JPG
DSCF2187.JPG
DSCF2190.JPG
DSCF2203.JPG
DSCF2204.JPG
DSCF2205.JPG
DSCF2206.JPG
DSCF1464.JPG
DSCF1561.JPG

spectra81

Reaction score
man that's alot of work your doing,looks good! If you need any measurements for strut location or anything ,i have the 81 listed in the next thead and i fortunatly have it set-up just right.Its the best riding cruiser i have ridden in,good look on the project,like to see it when its done MERRY X-MAS GREG

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks Greg, did you change struts? I am thinking about tossing the old strut and going with a longer strut and taking some angle out of it. Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Nice job on the rebuild! I actually started itching after looking at your pictures! :eek:

Just Electric

Reaction score
nice job this thing should turn out to be a nice cruiser when you get done building it

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks Greg, did you change struts? I am thinking about tossing the old strut and going with a longer strut and taking some angle out of it. Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd consider calling the guys over at Precision marine and machine as well. They are rigging DCM's twin turbo v-drive.. It's a howard custom cruiser hull (DCM bought the molds) which as you know is a Spectra. That boat should be finished up in the next couple months, and you could get some real world #'s per HP based on their setup.

I also know a couple people with some fast Spectras I could call if your interested.

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
RD, Thank you for the information.. I would like any info if you could provide for me. Initial power will be 450 to 500 hp, fairly mild BBC, but down the road I am looking for more HP. I am not looking to be the fastest boat around but would like to get down the river. I am also looking for a Morse / teleflex steering helm that has a dual cable. Looking for the cables to run both Port and Starbord, I am only finding single cables or dual that run on the same side. I want to use a tiller are rather than a quadrant, so I need the cable type helm. I like the Calgo steering but a bit out of my price range right now.

Thanks

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Finished the tank bulk heads and am almost ready to Gel coat the inside. Still need to build the middle bulk head just in front of the v-drive, but it is really nice having it out to work under the deck. Hopefully will get the rest of teh sanding done this coming weekend and put a final resin coat down and then it will be ready for gel coat. I posted some pics of additional bracing I added under teh deck, in back of the main bulk head and in front of it. I have seen several mid 70's Spectras with sagging decks and cracked caps from the deck flexing too much, now I can jump on the deck and there is no issue, I am 6'4" and 320lbs..

front to rear.jpg
rear to front.jpg
Right front tank maount bulk head.jpg
Right rear Tank Mount.jpg
under deck right front.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well I think it's safe to say you won the free RDP t-shirt of the week. ;) :D

PM me your address, and I'll get it out to you.

RD

Just Electric

Reaction score
Well I think it's safe to say you won the free RDP t-shirt of the week. ;) :D

PM me your address, and I'll get it out to you.

RD
damn you aint lying about that he seems to know what hes doin that boat is coming out nice

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I am TEC challenged so can you tell me what "PM" is and how to do it, I would wear a RD T-shirt with pride and I promise I wont get resin on it..Hopefuly

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I am TEC challenged so can you tell me what "PM" is and how to do it, I would wear a RD T-shirt with pride and I promise I wont get resin on it..Hopefuly

Just click where it says "RiverDave" above my little picture on the left hand side. A drop down menu will come up, and click on "send private message"

RD

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
wow. bitchen thread! i can't wait for the day that i have the room to do something like this. keep us updated on the progress! :beer :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
74Spectra20-Vdrive, I apollogzie I've gotten a million PM's lately from my dad passing and while I was cleaning out my PM box I accidentally deleted your address. Can you please PM me your address again so I can get your shirt out to you?

RD

Flat Broke

Reaction score
74 Spectra,

The work your doing/have done is freaking awesome. There are a couple of us who live in the LBC and love older glass. I keep my project at my Dad's house in Torrance, but would love to come by and check out your 20 sometime.

I'm restoing a 75 20, but mine is upside down (still) but the wheels have slowly started turning and the 3rd revision of the bottom glass work is being done so that I'll be able to spray it pretty soon.

Chris

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Flat Broke, I would like to talk with you guys, I sent you a PM with my cell.. call me, we started grinding on the cap last weekend and are working this Saturday AM again on it.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
we capped the boat on Saturday, first time I have done this.. My friend Bob is in the pictures he did most of the work.. except for sanding now. I had been debating on putting a rub rail on or not so we decided to cap the thing just in case.
Next we are taking the top deck (just where the non skid was) down to the glass and we will lay up 1 layer of mat and cloth. There are a few cracks in the gel coat that stayed after I sanded off the non skid so to prevent these from coming back through the new paint we are opting to lay up some more structure.. We decided to cap it first that way when we lay up the top deck we will reinforce the cap again and give a bit more material to shape.

000_0012.jpg
000_0013.jpg
000_0015.jpg
000_0017.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to have this over to B&K in Bellflower by Feb of this year but I have slowed down considerably.. I have rough blocked the cap and just need to get a molding sample so we can shape the cap to match the molding. I Have the transom blocked out and all the old holes and exhaust filled in. There are just a few low spots but it looks pretty good for now. I am still debating on taking the top deck down and reglassing (non skid area), even after blocking the cap there are still a few cracks, you can't feel them but I have been told that they may come back and transfer through the new paint. The entire boat will be gel coated againg and then we will lay color and stripes over it.

I want to rig the entire boat prior to paint and I did a rough set up to get the exgaust holes and engine height but I want to drill all holes and mount everything and then go to paint. So this is probably pushing me back to summer and paint next fall... lots going on and trying to keep the Spectra off teh back burner.

100_0014_00.jpg
100_0015_00.jpg
100_0016.jpg
100_0017_00.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This by far and away one of the best threads on any of the boating message boards that I've ever been on!!

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I finished shapping the cap, came out really nice. We ground all the gel coat and some glass off around where the non skid used to be and I am just putting off the next lay up. We will lay up probably two layers of mat and 1 cloth around the entire boat to assure that we get rid of and prevent any cracks from transfering back throught the new paint. I had some minor cracks around the deck and we just decided that we have gone thi far why not just make everything new so out came the grinder. Will look great once we lay up and then a ton of blocking to get the shape right.
I will be finishing the trailer next week up in Visalia and if all goes well I will be bringing it home. I need to set the boat back on teh trailer to double check a few things, so when I get to that point I will snap a few pictures and share where we are. Thanks for the interest it keeps me excited about the project, now if my bank account could match my excitment we might just knock this baby out by close of 09'

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So will you be applying "new" non skid to the deck? Or just leaving it smooth?

RD

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of what we have been doing. We ground the non skid and shapped the cap, non skid will not go back on. The trailer project has been a lot of fun with my dad, we work pretty slow but have a great time together. One of the things I didn't like about the original trailer was that the inside channel was open, so we shaped some brackets and had some flat stock sheered and created a smooth center, we are hiding all the wires and brake lines behind the panels. The entire trailer will be covered with carpet panels and the wheel jack is hidden behind the bow stop. My Dad and I spend more time B.S.ing but we are having fun. Dad used to make trailers for Bill Gaylord's flat bottoms and a lot of one offs for friends and others under the C&C MFG logo, there are still a few running around. I attached some pics of getting all the wood set and ready for carpet. We then sand blasted the trailer, sealed with an epoxy sealy and shot with a black enamel. I am heading back up north on the 4th to finish the thing, I will post some pictures when I get back.

100_0045.jpg
100_0049.jpg
100_0050.jpg
100_0051.jpg
100_0053.jpg
100_0058.jpg
100_0059.jpg
100_0061.jpg
100_0067.jpg
100_0066.jpg

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
I am interested in how you are hideing your wheel jack. Do you have some detailed pics of that part of your fabrication?
Boat and Trailer are looking awesome!!!

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Len, the jack is right behind the bow stop, we started out trying to have it completly under the channel but it just would not work with out using a very small jack. We ended up with about 3/4 of the jack down inside of teh channel and I made a small box that will be carpeted like the restof the trailer that hides everything when the jack is up. The jack is on a pivot mounted to two spindles attached to the channel, we turned the spindles to fit inside a piece of iron pipe and also put some zerks to keep from freezing up, we hope. We welded flanges to the pipe and are using some exhaust brackets to hold the jack. We welded a bead arond teh jack to keep the brackets from slideing. We did a lot of cutting to the jack, I wanted a HD jack but could not find one that would fit in the hole, so we bought a big one and made it fit, we had to cut the handle down as well to swing under the bow. It works great and lifts easy even with a shorter handle. I will be finishing next weeknd (I hope) so I can show completed pictures, but here is the only picture I have of the jack. We also are using the compartment for the quick connects for lights and brake lines for the removable tongue.

100_0055.jpg

Schi-502

Reaction score
Nice job! Great job on the picture taking and posting. I feel like I'm right there with you. Except for the itching, of course. And then to see you are doing the boat in a residential neighborhood. Boy you have some great neighbors!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This thing is really coming out nicely.. :)

RD