WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to Spectra Marine

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The plexi glass ideas is way cool, I was laughing with my dad as I started to set the floors in about covering all the crap we spent so much time on. See thru floors cool idea.

As far as sealing up the floor to keep water out, I am only concerned with sealing up the actual floors, I wanted to be able to take everything out and let the boat breath as well as inspect w/o having to use a flashlight and inspection holes. Just a preference, and I did waffle back and forth on just glassing in full floors.

The two boxes are display racks for work, just sitting there keeping me from bumping into the fenders on my Sanger.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
These are the best I have of the hinges and the mount, these are Eddie Marine Hinges. Let me know if you need a different shot, next time I am working on the boat ill grab some pics.

100_0161.jpg
100_0171.jpg
Hinges(004).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
November 1st! This is my favorite day of the year.... I am in the candy industry and last night was our Super Bowl, thank goodness we are thru it and numbers look good. I was finished up my cav rod brackets today, (polished) I had my BIL do a little mill work on these. Headed up to work on the boat this next weekend.

IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Good couple days working on the Spectra!

Gas Fills in, this was scary as there was no room to wiggle with only 3.5" from top of tank to underside of deck, the hole had to be right on the money and we hit that! Not sure if I will keep the decorative bezel under these caps, looks pretty high, have similar caps on my flat and they are much lower or at least they seem like they are in my head.

Rear floor mounts in, these are backing plates as well for the thru stringer bolts for engine mounts. Had to be pretty tight as the Cav rod runs right by as well. Got the floors shaped and mounted, now I am going to paint a band around the floors to hide the end grain of the wood, thinking of striping to match boat colors just around edges and leaving the center natural birch to match engine hatch.

Cav rod supports / guides, I got ahead of myself here, need to pop these out and insert a bushing... may not depending on how I fell next trip up, the Spectra's I have been in don't have a lot of plate action, as a matter of fact this v-drive came from the factory with no plates, being a flat bottom guy I had to have plates, I am not running a lock out just foot over ride, I may have to adapt down the road but interested to see how she runs.

Polished and cut to size (hopefully) the last big batch of bolts, 60+, intake manifold, Valve covers, bell housing, Velvet Drive ...... we have this down to a pretty good process now, double nut the bolt set it in the lathe, use a cut off wheel to get the size, turn the lathe on, and round over the bolt with file. Die grinder with 120 grit disk to Palm DA with 320, hit the buffer and move on....

IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
What are your plans for the engine hatch? Paint it or upholster?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Hatch will be upholstered, really only way to get in the boat on the water and pant would be too slippery.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Working on my exhaust logs, I have picked up a couple sets of these old Nicson headers as I run them on my Sanger as well so I wanted a spare in case of damage beyond repair. I got an education on these when I was mocking up some things recently on the Spectra. I put the left side log on and my exhaust tip was an inch too high??? only have about 6" of hose so there is no room to play with. I was thinking what the heck (edited) I thought I changed my engine mounts height some how from when I originally mocked everything up. I started looking and measuring the different sets of headers and wow they are all different. made sure I grabbed the pair I originally did my mock up off of and we should be good...fingers still crossed.
This set of headers had a couple cracks in the flange and needed to replace a couple studs that lead to another crack... my brother in laws shop kicks ass welding aluminum and they fixed everything, I did some grinding, shaping and sanding and were looking pretty good. Only have an initial buff on one header two more grits of rouge and pads and these should look pretty good.

image (003).jpg
image.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
Do you have any concerns about the logs "choking" the engine off ?? (Not letting exhaust flow as much as it can) not knocking at all I think they look cool I was just curious.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
They defiantly don't flow as well as other exhausts but I spin my flat upto 6200 with the same exhausts. I just like the old school look and with the weight of this boat it's not a sprinter.

sergeantmike

Reaction score
Do you have any concerns about the logs "choking" the engine off ?? (Not letting exhaust flow as much as it can) not knocking at all I think they look cool I was just curious.

Gasket/port matched my logs, heads and intake. Mirror polished the exhaust ports and scuffed the intake ports. Made a noticeable difference in performance. Logs won't flow like headers, but with some work, you can make them very serviceable and keep the period correct look.;)

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
its been so long since I was able to work on the Spectra I couldn't find the link, that is just sad. I gave up on polishing the exhaust myself, really just didn't want to clean up the garage again after buffing. Jay at Kings Powder Coating kicked these things in the ass, they look awesome! I love the old school look and yes I know different exhaust will make more power but I drive like I assemble this boat....slow

I got some loose ends wrapped up, built alternator bracket, tweaked my velvet drive shift arm to bring the cable down where I wanted it and hide it. I Finished cutting and polishing all the bolts for the tunnel ram and carbs, the TR is two piece and the top is a PITA to get bolts in, played with studs and ARP 12 point bolts but didn't like the way they looked finally got it done, I did use the studs and ARP bolts on the carbs, they blend pretty nice.

I had screwed up when I put the Velvet drive in, I didn't have all my polished stainless bolts in that mate it to the bell housing, I was just going swap them out later, well I cant get them out with out taking the velvet drive front mount off and I have to pull the velvet drive out to do that. So shot all that comes apart new bolts in an done. One good thing was that I just pulled the whole bell housing and drive off so I could check the starter against the ring gear, good thing because it was not good, I had to add 3/32 of shims to get her to engage, nice thing with everything open could run a wire gauge between the teeth and dial it in.

Altenator fab.jpg
Polished exhaust Port.jpg
Polished Exhaust rear.jpg
Polished exhaust Starbord rear.jpg
Velvet Drive Stock Shift arm.jpg
Velvet Drive twisted arm.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I learned a few things about control cables, I always just ordered the length and type of dead man needed but never got into the throw min and max. We used a farm equipment company in Fresno that my dad uses for Harvest equipment he works on, all stainless components and tight bends you can get black or gray in color and you pick the thro you need as they build by order. Very cool as the velvet drive only needs 1.5" of travel in the cable to run thru the gears, by going with a 2' the mechanical mounting portion is very compact and you can get this tucked away real nice. So after reshaping the shit arm I have the cable tucked up underneath everything and once its all clamped in will be hard to see at all.

Also started on plumbing, I picked up a ton of fittings and hose from "River Games" (if I keep doing this ill have some Schiada in my Spectra, my steering came from Andrew as well) Was able to lay out all of my water and oil lines only need to pick up some AN to Pipe nipples and I am running all new Teflon braided hose and fittings for fuel, I should have all that by Thursday as I dropped my list off with Mitch at Deering last night. Now for the fun part, getting rid of all the red and blue anodizing. I like to heat up the fittings to 200 in an oven and hit them with oven cleaner, rinse with water and scrub then soak in thinner for a bit. Some clean up real easy others look like they have been in a fire but they buff real easy. I hit with a couple different pads at a low rpm on the buffer and really less than 2 to 3 minutes on each fitting, but when you have a lot of ends it's a weekend project.

My first experience with buffing these fittings was at about 12 years old, my Dad needed to change a hose end out on his boat and I was curious as to why it was red and blue and not polished like the others, so he figured it was time I learned how to do this, so he showed me how to do it and I went to work on the buffer. We didn't use the oven cleaner back then so it was strait buff, and man I killed it that fitting was going to be the best looking one on the boat! I walk up to my Dad and handed him the fitting and he looked at me and was a bit pissed, I was confused because that fitting was killer, and I had sore fingers to boot. Well I buffed the hell out that thing for sure and it shined like no other and I took all the corners off that dam thing so you couldn't use a wrench on it! That is the day I learned how much these hose ends cost. ill bet my Dad still has that round shinny hose end tucked away someplace :)

IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1818.jpg
IMG_1819.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I got ambitious this evening and knocked out the first batch of these, still need a final buff that is real quick but puts a nice shine on them.
IMG_1824.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Final buff this evening, chomping at the bit to get the rest of the fitting hope they come tomorrow so I can wrap this up over the weekend and shoot up North again to build the lines.

IMG_1825.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
Looks great! I love the detail work you're doing on this boat!! FYI you can buy those fittings polished or nickel plated from xrp

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
When it comes to the AN fittings now you can buy almost anything you want as there are a lot of companies making these, you can even get some companies to send them in raw aluminum. I have some not so common fittings that don't come in aluminum so I went stainless, these look awesome when buffed out, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have had very god luck with the aluminum fittings since I got my first boat in 95' and my Dad has been doing the same thing with aluminum since the 60's / 70's. This is a shot of the engine in my flat, I plumbed this in 95' and this was taken just a year of so back, fitting still look good and clean up nice. If I was destined for salt water, it would have to be stainless on all water fittings. the big problem now is fuel and its just best to use Teflon hose, many MFGs still say you can use standard braided rubber hose for fuel but I believe its XRP that has a "Suggestion" to use Teflon.

Presentation2.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide on my floors in the engine bay, I had always had it in mind that I was going to stripe them like the boat, I especially needed to do something with the inside edge as the panels are laminated and I really didn't like the look of the edge. I finally decided to not stripe them so they match the engine cover and I just painted the edge black, should work, if not I can change them later. Ill clear them this weekend. Also just picked up the rest of my fittings, doesn't look like it but there are 64 pieces in this pile, now just gotta polish them up.

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1835.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
So polishing fittings has always freaked me out a bit as you take a couple hundred$$+ in fittings and spray oven cleaner all over them...I was looking at all the fuel fittings that need to be polished and I went with Teflon hose and the fittings are a bit different, I really don't want to screw with them so I am leaving all the fuel hose ends black, should blend with the black engine....hopefully.
Finished my floor boards as well this weekend, I got 1 small run on an edge but other than that I don't think I am touching these anymore. My ram mount still needs to get attached to one so, ill wait to do that and then ill color sand and buff.

IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
So I finished most of the Water and oil lines on the Spectra, didn't like how I had laid out the water pump or I should say I couldn't get the bend I wanted using 90's so I had to switch to 45's coming out and feeding my coolers and I hated the black fitting on the fuel so back to polishing! I also had to change a couple nipples on my fuels filters as I planned to run 90's to a straight hose end but I couldn't swing both 90's not enough room and I hate not having the same fittings next to each other so needed to pick up some 45's. Finished the fist buff this evening will finish polishing over the weekend, the black Teflon fittings polished real easy, glad I backed off of keeping them black.

I had a couple people ask how I hold onto the fittings, I use pipe fittings, screw the nipples in and put the hose ends on the nipples and instant handle. Works great and I also double up on cotton gloves to save the fingers, still gets hot and sometimes you gotta get in closer and push a bit.

IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1892.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_1896.jpg

rivergames

Reaction score
This is awesome! You're getting really close and she looks good! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, you know I still have 2 bags of fittings left and apart from the Teflon fuel lines, I was able to use all the hose I bought from you, only had to buy 2' of #8 !

rivergames

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, you know I still have 2 bags of fittings left and apart from the Teflon fuel lines, I was able to use all the hose I bought from you, only had to buy 2' of #8 !

Glad to hear! It was all the hose that was in my 20' prior to going with black on black. Awesome it all worked out well! :tbi

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The slow boat to china is almost home, wrapped up most of my loose ends (alt tension bracket and things like that) finally got the Tunnel Ram locked in, its a two piece unit and I am using the center bolts on the base to hold a throttle dead man on one side and a fuel log on the other. There are 32 bolts on this sucker and each one had to be cut to fit right. I am real happy with how it turned out, no just hoping it performs. Got all my wires pulled and laid out, heading back in a couple weeks to finish that up.

IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1959.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1966.jpg
IMG_1969.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg

73mandella

Reaction score
Good you're getting her done. Richard aka "73mandella"

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
its been a couple months since we had any progress but finished the wiring up yesterday. I added a fuse panel under the deck, running individual circuits for bilge, under hatch blower, gauges, Hatch Ram and Hatch Ram toggle (added a relay as well for the Ram under the dash) Measured up all my bat cables last night having those made up.

IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I spent a couple days last weekend working on the Spectra, and we buttoned up all the little loose ends, and we got the engine fired off! Dam thing startled me as she fired up in a heart beat, I wasn't ready for that. Before starting the engine we ran fuel into some jars just to make sure everything was clean and then set float levels etc. She ran well, I will play with the timing a bit but start was instant, throttle response was very crisp had no issues running her thru engine break in.
I did learn something though, I always thought the Magna flow pumps were reversible meaning you can run the housing to pick up from the right side or the left side, well that was wrong, Having the water inlet on the left side turns that pump into a hell of a squirt gun. I read up on the thing and discovered that they built the pump housing to flip so it could also work on counter rotating motors. Minor issue just need to make a longer hose, all fittings will still work.
Only new pics I took were of my fuel gauge, I wanted this set up so I could see it from the back of the boat, as that is where ill be when working on it and with the engine hatch I cant see it anyway while running. Next trip we mount the engine ram, cut and buff the sides of the boat and put her back on the trailer to come home.

IMG_0455.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg

braindead

Reaction score
So I finished most of the Water and oil lines on the Spectra, didn't like how I had laid out the water pump or I should say I couldn't get the bend I wanted using 90's so I had to switch to 45's coming out and feeding my coolers and I hated the black fitting on the fuel so back to polishing! I also had to change a couple nipples on my fuels filters as I planned to run 90's to a straight hose end but I couldn't swing both 90's not enough room and I hate not having the same fittings next to each other so needed to pick up some 45's. Finished the fist buff this evening will finish polishing over the weekend, the black Teflon fittings polished real easy, glad I backed off of keeping them black.

I had a couple people ask how I hold onto the fittings, I use pipe fittings, screw the nipples in and put the hose ends on the nipples and instant handle. Works great and I also double up on cotton gloves to save the fingers, still gets hot and sometimes you gotta get in closer and push a bit.

I'm curious to know what the tank is that's mounted next to the fuel tank support and any more progress?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Its not really a tank, I just made it look like one :) I didn't like the way my fuel tank switch looked so I made a box for it. I am headed back up in a week or so to bring her home.

IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg

braindead

Reaction score
Its not really a tank, I just made it look like one :) I didn't like the way my fuel tank switch looked so I made a box for it. I am headed back up in a week or so to bring her home.

That's awesome, way to think outside the box!

Now I know why this build is taking so long

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Great week last week, Spectra is back on the trailer and in my garage!

I had been looking at the Teague sea strainers for a few years and really wanted to add some type of filter to the water especially since I fill the block thru my oil coolers and they are a bummer to get to so unplugging them would be the last thing on my list. I was working in Valencia last week so I just stopped by Teague and pulled the trigger. The strainer was a lot bigger than I thought or I had less room than I thought.... either way it took a little thinking to get it in place but I dig it and it blends in well. Also finished up the Ram and it works like a charm, we ended up moving the ram mounting spot and I really like it, its tucks in nice and wont be in the way to get back to the engine. Up next is color sand and buff and then off to upholstery...

IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0360.JPG

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Got on the seats this weekend, my concern was that these buckets will be free standing all the seats I have made in the past have had one side up against the side of the boat. I am a big guy and was concerned about the frames breaking. This things are stout really no flex and I have a little glass work to do still on some joints.

IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Seats are 95% done, all wood work is done and everything is sealed up, just need to mount seat bases to the floors and then off to get some estimates on upholstery. all the floors are removable so I am tying the bases into the floor mounts as well so everything unbolts easily for clean up and storage. I just realized that I put some type of storage in all the seats, probably overkill but in my Flat I have 0 storage not even a pouch in a seat so I am going to have storage in this one!

The Champion gear boxes similar to the C500's mount off of rubber insulated posts mounted to the stringer, there in no cross brace like a split case. I have wanted to make some type of thrust bracing I guess is what ill call it, but have not had any clean ideas. So I have an extra Champion box and I grabbed it a just started playing with a few ideas and I think I have what I like. Simple and is dead manning to my drive shaft guard, probably not good for major horse power but should work for this tank. one mocked up, one more to go and then polish, need to drill a hole in the middle to fish my water lines thru but should be good to go.

IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg

Redhawkindian

Reaction score
I never really post, just mainly troll for info. But you give me hope that one day I will finish my project boat, 1976 22' Hustler day cruiser jet boat. Your boat is beautiful. I have been following the build since I joined sight. Looking forward to seeing it done.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
That's funny! I am hopeful I will someday finish this dam thing too, we need a support group for past due restorations :). Good luck with the 22', Hustler is a off shore hull correct?

Redhawkindian

Reaction score
No, not offshore. It's a daycruiser jet boat from the 70's that I really cannot find any info about. I have searched my butt off. I have only found pictures of 2 others. One I found was running in the low 80's with a blown BBC with a jacuzzi pump. I just hope it is a hull that is worth all the time I will have in it. I tell the wife it is my retirement plan!!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
No, not offshore. It's a daycruiser jet boat from the 70's that I really cannot find any info about. I have searched my butt off. I have only found pictures of 2 others. One I found was running in the low 80's with a blown BBC with a jacuzzi pump. I just hope it is a hull that is worth all the time I will have in it. I tell the wife it is my retirement plan!!

Post up some pics! This site is pretty damn incredible, lots of old timers lurk that could know something about it?!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I love having this thing home especially as all business travel for the year is done!

Been knocking out my seat bases, I had them too low so I needed to add 2" inches, I used some 2X6's and a couple layers of matt to sandwich them to the original base then I wrapped them inside and out with cloth. Next up is I am 6'4" and whenever anyone else drives my flat most have to put a cushion behind them to reach the pedals, I want to make the seats in the Spectra adjustable so we don't need to do that. I am using 4" angle on the bottom of the seat boxes, the angle will bolt to the floor using the same bolt that holds the floor down, I just don't like a bunch of bolts. I have to add 1 more angle bracket for a floor mount under the floors on the outside stringer and make sure its square with the other one and with the seat boxes. Once this is down ill bolt the base down and then mill a slot about 6" long and add holes 2 and 4 inches forward from my seat position. With the slot milled in I wont have to unbolt every thing, just loosen her up and slide, will machine a recess in the aluminum for a washer to fall into so as the base slides it will have 3 positions to set to.

Almost done with gear box brace, just need to roll the boat out (its under a lift with a 69 Sanger sitting on top of it and I don't like crawling) and mark my length to the drive shaft loop.

Finishing up the last of the glass work on the gear box cover and drive shaft cover, everything is pretty low in the boat so there not much of a hump in the middle. Covering with cloth and resin should last.. the drive shaft cover slides under the back seat and the gear box cover and then the gear box cover will bolt to the back of the drive shaft loop.

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
Truly a masterpiece. :thumbup: Keep up the great work.

What is also amazing is the amount of picture taking during the project. I know during my resto project, always having to get the camera after every little completion,
hands being dirty, sticky, being hungry and late for dinner. Not only for being an amazing fabricator and boat builder, your documentation skills should also be commended.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Lenny your too funny man, but thanks for the kind words... you did get me thinking though....I have been working on this thing so long that I was using an actual camera when I first started, do they still make those, the upgrade to iPhones has really made it much easier to snap a picture.

I did finish the gear box bracing today, just need to pick up some 5/16 lock nuts as I ran out, I cant believe how many nuts bolts and washers go into a project like this! also I took a shot of the gear box cover and drive shaft cover, this is how they fit together.

IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Finishing up the last of the interior, this is my first boat with more than a couple back to back buckets! Building these side panels and I didn't like the way I finished them at the front end or the Knee of the driver so I built an end piece to finish them off a little. The panels will continue forward to a bulk head at about 6" high, this will create a little storage spot for buoys and ski ropes. I glassed the inside last night will grind this down and clean it up, remove all the screws and glass up the outside and call it good.

IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0656.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
almost finished up the side panels, ground the backside of the pouches (I guess that's what you call them) and laid a layer of matt down on the corners, now just clean up the fuzzies and put a wax coat on them. waiting on a couple upholstery estimates and we can wrap this thing up. Bad thing is I am slammed with work so its just weekends now....

IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0677.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I had two appointments today for upholstery estimates, never left the first shop! I had decided I wasn't going to go talk to West Coast Marine Interiors, it's about a 90 minute drive and their stuff looks very high end yada yada yada, well I call them up and set up an appointment and wow, these are some very nice people, clean facility, nice location and the work they do is awesome. They had a few seats and cushions in the show room, the stitching is bad ass and the work is just impressive. Cesar and his Daughter, Libni, head out to look at the boat, we chat a bit, Cesar has some suggestions and a couple things he wants to change and we make a deal. Cant be more happy, I feel like a kid at Christmas! I was thinking just a two tone simple greys but the more I looked at his work I gave him some creative license. I am going with a diamond tuck up the middle of the seats, a nod to my Dad and Brothers 69 Sanger that I really grew up in and it had (has) original diamond tuck. Funny as its all the rage now, I guess what is old is new again. I had no intension of starting today, was planning on the first of March but Cesar says start pulling the interior so we can get going! So ill bring the boat back in a few weeks and they can fit and finish everything and do the carpet.

Ceasar Libni.jpg
drop off (003).jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Ohhh diamond tuck inserts! So sick! I am jelly !!:p

I can't wait to see it finished, your boat came out sooooo nice! :thumbup:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The animals are mocking me! working on color sanding the Spectra, and I know I am slow but I look down and there is my Turtle, she decided to come out of hibernation and hang out in the garage, then I make a pass on the side of the boat working from transom to bow and then I start working back to the transom and holy crap a snail is on the side of the boat, he must have thought "this guy will never get back here by the time I get by!" have no idea where this thing came from but I know he and the turtle were laughing at me!

Snail_.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Finally done color sanding and finished first stage with a fairly aggressive 3M compound. I went up to 1500 and was hoping I could use foam pads all the way thru but I was still seeing some fine scratches so I went at her with a wool pad and it made a huge difference. Having already done the whole boat with a foam cutting pad the wool was a piece of cake and really added some depth. I was scared to use the wool pad, I didn't want to burn thru because I really don't know what the hell I am doing . Now finish up with a couple more levels of pads and some hand polish and we can call her good.

front.jpg
reflection.jpg
side from back.jpg
side from front.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am calling it good on color sanding, seems every time I look at this thing I see something I could do a little better....screw it I want to use it! I have been disappointed with the level of metallic in the silver until I rolled the thing in the sun, its looks good in direct sun light, but man it dead in the garage. Detailing the indie this weekend and finishing up some loose ends and then hoping to drop the boat off at West Coast interiors by next week end to have them finish it off.

front tight0871.jpg
fron.jpg
rea.jpg
right rear.jpg