WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New to Spectra Marine

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Jus found ur project page!!!!!

WOW!!! This thing has been a labor of LUV.

BAD AZZ!!!!

VERY nice work !!!!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Looking Great Cliff, Calculating the riser outlet to the Transom tips are a bitch. I went threw the same thing.
Glad to see you didn't need to raise the Eng, cover. The top of my Cover was solid plywood, I had not choice but to raise it 1"
keep up the great work, Do you plan on having it in the water by May? I'll be at Havasu May 15th.
Go 9ers

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Blownbillybob, for you to say its a cool project is quite a compliment as I have watched why you are doing to you Vector and that is bad ass my friend. Just need to stay motivated and wrap her up. Engine is on the stand, I am not happy with bearing clearance so need to play a little with some -001 halves to see if we can sneak up on the .003 we are looking for and I have 1 rod that is tight. My machine shop journey continues and this was completely mocked up with all standard bearings by the machine shop... just glad I doublechecked everything. My daughter graduates from CSULB in May and she wants to ski for Graduation so we will be back together soon. Also wanting to do a Parker trip after Mothers day so I gotta get busy.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
OK Paul you motivated me, finished shaping this hatch and got some clear on it.

Attachments

• AA657E81-EA20-430A-A05B-C2915BEC85EC.jpeg
    AA657E81-EA20-430A-A05B-C2915BEC85EC.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 263
  • 4E187872-26D3-4F30-8744-25A6E8964D96.jpeg
    4E187872-26D3-4F30-8744-25A6E8964D96.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 265
  • F9793555-474E-4182-9359-49E611A18388.jpeg
    F9793555-474E-4182-9359-49E611A18388.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 255

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Blownbillybob, for you to say its a cool project is quite a compliment as I have watched why you are doing to you Vector and that is bad ass my friend. Just need to stay motivated and wrap her up. Engine is on the stand, I am not happy with bearing clearance so need to play a little with some -001 halves to see if we can sneak up on the .003 we are looking for and I have 1 rod that is tight. My machine shop journey continues and this was completely mocked up with all standard bearings by the machine shop... just glad I doublechecked everything. My daughter graduates from CSULB in May and she wants to ski for Graduation so we will be back together soon. Also wanting to do a Parker trip after Mothers day so I gotta get busy.

mare U using coated bearings /HP 1s or stock??

the rods are easy to fix jus have ur machine shop lightly touch them with the rod machine!!!!

mains can be a little more difficult???

what are U using to measure ur clearances with ?????

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
  • Running Clevite H series bearings
  • Engine is 454 1/4 stroke 049 heads with bigger valves
  • Tunnel ram
  • Cam is hydraulic flat tappet 564 int / 567 ex - 234 duration on a 112 lobe separation (Comp marine cam)
  • Basically a stock build no exotic parts or crazy machine work running all SCAT Forged internals - was built as a cruiser not a go fats boat.
I was thinking about having that rod cut, removing that minimal of material should be less than a gram right? should not goof with balance especially with this mild build?

Using inside bore gauges and micrometers plus I squeezed some plastiguage in there to compare, just because I wanted to double check.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
762DC518-F787-4423-B1AA-FB84952EBE90.png

OK. I see something here?????

ur oil filter adapter does it screw on the the stock bolt on oil filter piece!!!!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I bought the adaptor and it came with a replacement for the stock piece, looked just like to stock one, what are you seeing??

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Does the piece that bolts to the block have a bypass valve built into it???

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I do believe it does or did, I actually tossed the entire unit as I broke it tearing it apart. is there a preferred bypass adapter??

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
U don’t want the bypass on the stock adapter!!
What happens is those were a safety feature GM put there incase a oil filter clogged it would bypass so not to burn up the bearings from no oil pressure!!
The bypass is designed to bypass at around 55 psi on a GOOD unit say u have a 25 yr old 1 the bypass spring is not as strong as a new 1 and will bypass at a lower pressure!! And the springs are a pretty small spring!!!

so if U have a HV oil pump and let’s say when engine is cold U got80 psi at rpm then it drops to 60 psi when warm at rpm The oil is bypassing the filter because the filter is restrictive and the oil is gonna take the less restrictive route!!

even at 60 psi it’s tryin the bypass and ur not filtering the oil!!!!!! We usually block off the bypass or delete that piece and run a quality oil filter. (Fram HP series)

but if u don’t have that stock adapter on it and the new 1 doesn’t have that bypass U should be OK what oil filters were U running???

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I went digging last night and I didn't save the old parts, it came all in one kit so it wasn't the stock adapter piece in there. I ran the filter on the transom because I cant access the filter very easy on the block. I have been using the NAPA gold filters. Thank you for the insights and education on this. that picture of the block is a bot misleading as I was so pissed that when I broke this thing in May I didn't do a dang thing with it and just stuffed it back in the garage so it sat with the water in the block for almost 4 months... made a mess

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
How is your Boat coming along Cliff? I was looking at the same Cam you picked out before I found the engine I bought.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I just ordered a new Canton bypass bolton unit to make sure we have a good oil system. I found the remains of the old bypass and it was just a fitting no bypass spring to bolt to.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Engine is together and ready to go in the boat but we are locked down... what do you do... start painting and polishing shit...

balancer (2).jpg
starter 1 (2).jpg
starter 2 (2).jpg
starter 3 (2).jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
How does Lock down prevent you from installing the engine?
I don't know where your engine is, but if it is at a shop, Shops are Classified as Essential Business's.
Maybe it's different where you are, Here up north, CA tire shops , Automotive shops, parts stores, engine shops, are all open.
Even paint & glass shops are open, I just went today to get a glass shower door part.
I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just wondering.
Hope your project goes well, Paul

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
OH no, my engine is on a stand in my garage next to a hoist next to the boat... I just lost motivation as I had a Parker trip planned for end of April and that got scratched. I sent the Sanger I was working on home last Saturday and had planned on moving the Spectra over under the hoist to drop the engine in but decided to clean my garage and them paint and polish a few things since there is no plan to use the boat soon. I am actually working still but not traveling so it will get dropped in shortly.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I hope get your motivation comes back, Don't let this Virus put you down, life goes on. at least your still working, my wife is a dental hygienist and they had to close the office. If you want to go on a lake or river B&W Resort on the sacramento delta and a lake near by here Bullards Bar Reservoir are still open. Plan a test drive and your Motivation should return.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Cliff I was thinking of you wanting to go to Parker.
there is a clip of a Sanger flatty cruising Parker today, it appears to be open, so maybe you can resume your plans.
it is on V-drives only

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I pulled the Spectra out two weeks ago to move her under the hoist to drop the engine in, well.... I started looking at the trailer and there were a couple chips (poor prep when i painted it originally) and I am home every night at least thru May as of now so what the hell let's clean these up.

I started thinking I was just going to spray the outside of the trailer but as I got her up on blocks I found a little rust, not a lot and was really just surface rust on poorly painted areas, but this shit is cancer and I wasn't having that the worst was probably the inside of my hub caps. I have been paranoid as we have had her at Marine stadium about 6 to 7 times and I clean the hell out of the trailer when I get home but that salt water is in my head....

Disassembled everything and started grinding. It was embarrassing creeping around under the trailer because I missed so many spots when i had painted this originally, I should not have done it all at once because there are just too many braces and on the trailer for the step pads and all the panels, 78 total braces and there is just no way to hit every corner and side at on time.

I used a Rust killer called "Krud Kutter" that is a concentrate you mix 2 or 3 to 1 and this stuff is awesome! Sprayed the trailer washed it off then bombed the trailer with a rust inhibitor and them with a DTM epoxy primer sealer that I absolutely love. (High Tech 77425)

I decided not to take the boat off the trailer as I can get to everything but the top of the two inside channels, and they look good, if there is an issue ill take the trailer over to my my dads when we go skiing up north this July, just too much stuff in the garage to move around and quite frankly it freaks me out, no matter how many times I have pulled boats off trailers, if its my boat i just don't like it.

I finished spraying all the under side and braces last night, I took two nights to do it and i feel real good about this thing being protected now. Spraying with an industrial Enamel, Ellis Hy Lux, love this stuff, need to use a slow reducer in my opinion to get it to gloss and flow right. I have a second coat of Primer / Sealer on the outside rails and will knock that down with 320 or 400 and squirt the rest of it Probably Friday night. Also going to put some pin stripes on it this time, I have had this stencil pen stripping tape forever and I like it. I wish it was reversed, meaning i would like to spray a white base coat down, drop the stencil and then blow the enamel over it so that the stripes are under the black, but with the way the stencil is I have to do black first... I will clear over that so we should be OK.

HUB CAP 1.jpg
RUST 1.jpg
SPECTRA 1.jpg
SPECTRA 2.jpg
SPECTRA 3.jpg
SPECTRA 4.png
SPECTRA 5.jpg
SPECTRA 6.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
paint is down and color sanded, putting the stripe on tonight and hopefully will clear it as well. Love painting in the garage as I always get that one bug that sits down and walks around.
color sand (2).jpg
paint 1.jpg
paint 2.jpg
tongue with bug (2).jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
Holy cow that looks good.

So you laid on your back on a creeper or something and sprayed the inside of all those tubes and channels?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
ya, it was a pain in the ass, I used a small detail gun so I could really get in and around all the bracing, just went section by section. When I built the trailer I hung it on its side and sand blasted it, in hind sight that was stupid as I removed 40 year plus old paint that was stuck like crazy. I should have just sanded, sealed and painted. The steel on this trailer was not the best cosmetically but with a little epoxy primer it sealed really good this time and looks nice

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Clear tonight- couldn't get it done last night, had a little clean up to do...
astencil1.jpg
astencil1.jpg
astencil2.jpg
masked 2.jpg
masked 3jpg.jpg
painted 1.jpg
painted 1.jpg
paint 5.jpg
paint 6.jpg

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have decided that painting is like golf, you hack the place up and then you hit that one shot... I stopped playing golf a long time ago painting may be next... done with this think, cleared it tonight ill put it back together
clear 2.jpg
this weekend.
clear 3.jpg
clear 4.jpg

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thinking about going topless!
I haven't been able to get any heat in the engine, So I picked up some Moroso
1600486302594.png
water restrictors that sit in the T-stat housing, I ran the largest one in the drive way and was planning on playing a little with them in the water, my main concern is building too much pressure by restricting the water?? the 1" spacer got me 130 degrees and no condensation in the valve covers so I left it alone. Well since I was planning on playing with the cooling system I left my engine hatch off to make it easier and dam it I think I like it better... Would need to raise the rear seat back a bit but the top cushion on bolted to the back of the seat so I could build a new seat back, and have it upholstered to match?? also I have seen some nice upholstery panels that cover the gap between the combing rail and gas tanks?? May have an engine cover for a Spectra 20 for sale... man that hurt, I put a lot of time into that dam thing. I could build the new upholstery and just swap it around every trip or so :)
1600486302594.png
TOPLESS 1 (2).jpg
TOPLESS 3 (2).jpg
TOPLESS 4.jpg
1600486302594.png

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
With all of that polish I can't imagine what it would be like to maintain with hatch off!

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
That’s what god made beer and mother’s for..... Looking good Cliff!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
My nephew turned me onto some polish when we were at the river, he came up polished half my gas cap and then left... he finished it later :) stuff is called Wenol and it kicks ass. I bought a 2 oz tube off Amazon then went back in for a full quart.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am always envious of how much water time a lot of folks on this site take advantage of. We are guilty of just not getting out and using the boats! I built the day cruiser so we could do the Parker Strip more often and not be limited to only off peak seasons due to having a flat bottom. we finally had a trip to "the River" with the Spectra... pretty fun day out of Pirates running around needles and down thru the Gorge.
Needles May 2022.jpg

hpltree

Reaction score
I so much want my trailer to look almost like that.. so nice . i would like to camp up at the river just at the 99 i was to small to remember the trips with my dad up there

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I so much want my trailer to look almost like that.. so nice . i would like to camp up at the river just at the 99 i was to small to remember the trips with my dad up there
Let me know if you want to do some work on your trailer! The kings River is my happy spot. right off the 99 is River Land, up river from there are a couple great spots as well.